PDA

View Full Version : Sean Devaney of SI on Reggie/Pacers

indygeezer
09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Interesting comments. Even as to Indy being involved in EVERY trade rumor this summer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3025922

Shade
09-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Good article. But, once and for all, Reggie is NOT going to be benched in his final season. It's not that big a deal, so long as Jax gets most of the minutes. I just hope that Freddie stays patient this season and realizes that he will have a much bigger role after Reg retires.

fwpacerfan
09-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Reggie might benefit by coming off the bench. The starting unit is not really that good at setting screens. I think Pollard is better at that than Foster is so maybe Reggie would get better looks with the second unit? I think SJax will be the starter by the time training camp ends.

Hicks
09-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I want Jackson to start, but it sure looks like he won't to begin with judging from what Carlisle has said.

But speaking of, what I don't understand is why Rick changed his tune before training camp.

When Jackson was traded here, it was "we'll wait for TC to shake things out". Now a month before TC, he says Reggie is the starter. Why change your tune now? Why not stick to waiting for TC? Maybe Reggie said something, and they don't want to upset him. Maybe not.

Whatever, I just want Jackson to at the very least be our most-played SG, starting or not. But I think he should start.

TheSauceMaster
09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
I want Jackson to start, but it sure looks like he won't to begin with judging from what Carlisle has said.

But speaking of, what I don't understand is why Rick changed his tune before training camp.

When Jackson was traded here, it was "we'll wait for TC to shake things out". Now a month before TC, he says Reggie is the starter. Why change your tune now? Why not stick to waiting for TC? Maybe Reggie said something, and they don't want to upset him. Maybe not.

Whatever, I just want Jackson to at the very least be our most-played SG, starting or not. But I think he should start.

I agree Hicks , this is disappointing to me , TC hasn't started and it's been Deemed Reggie will be a starter , I liked the let's wait til Tc and see approach.

This just stinks of a Legacy Start or Sympathy Start in My book.

Bball
09-20-2004, 10:36 PM

Maybe Carlisle just got the memo from Donnie Walsh?

-Bball

Unclebuck
09-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Two comments:

1) First i was shocked that this guy said that Jackson can be as good an all around player as Artest. (I'll believe that when I see it)

Did Carlisle really change his tune? I don't know. if you get by the screaming headline of the Star article last Friday, and look at specifically what Carlisle said, he did say that things could change.

I don't believe for one second that DW is telling Carlisle who to start. DW just does not do that.

I'll say it again. Carlisle will start the group of players that enables the pacers to be the best team they can be.

I know many of you don't believe me, but the issue of Reggie starting or not does not matter that much to me. I don't think it is that big of a deal. At least not going into training camp. let's see how Jax fits in first.

I posted this last week, and I'll do it again. I don't know how Artest and Jax will work together, they both like to "make their own play". I worry that J.O might not get the ball enough. With Reggie out there we know that won't be a problem. (Yes I am speculating, I am advancing a theory, no one know how Jax will fit it).

Bball
09-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Two comments:

I don't believe for one second that DW is telling Carlisle who to start. DW just does not do that.

While I doubt DW dictates that Reggie starts I do believe it is implied.... or assumed that is what he wants.

Reggie will start and neither his play on the court nor SJax's play will change that. The day Reggie doesn't start, barring injury, is the day Reggie makes it PUBLIC knowledge that he himself is willing or would prefer to come off the bench.

I don't think Carlisle would risk the wrath of management, ownership, and fans if HE made the call to bench Reggie without that. Unless Reggie was to lose the support of the fanbase I don't see the situation changing.

Therefore, until that (loss of fan support) would happen, the only person who can bench Reggie is Reggie.

IMHO....
-Bball

clarifying

J-Wont
09-21-2004, 04:13 AM
They also said Tinsley was gonna start, and for the first several weeks of the season he didn't.
Reggie will start at first, by December Stephen Jackson will replace him.

sixthman
09-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Reggie flew thru last season pretty much injury free. I will be surprised if he's that blessed again. I know Reggie is unique, but mother nature does not treat the body of a 39-year-old kindly.

sweabs
09-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Sixthman is right...he is 39 years old!!! I have this feeling like he is bound to get injured this year...one that will keep him out for longer than usual.

If that does happen...I say watch out for Freddie.

Bball
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
"Sixthman is right...he is 39 years old!!! I have this feeling like he is bound to get injured this year...one that will keep him out for longer than usual.

If that does happen...I say watch out for Freddie."

So you guys are betting that Reggie will get injured and then the Pacers will be better for it?

-Bball

sweabs
09-21-2004, 01:30 PM
"Sixthman is right...he is 39 years old!!! I have this feeling like he is bound to get injured this year...one that will keep him out for longer than usual.

If that does happen...I say watch out for Freddie."

So you guys are betting that Reggie will get injured and then the Pacers will be better for it?

-Bball

I think if Reggie did get injured, Freddie would have something to prove - and definitely make the most out of his opportunity. And the possibility of Reggie getting injured at this stage of his career is quite high.

indygeezer
09-21-2004, 02:29 PM
39 is still a puppy.