PDA

View Full Version : Renewed Push for Playoffs Begins Tonight

joeyd
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
So we've all had a chance to weigh in on where the team will stand in terms of record for the second half. Consensus among PDers seems to be that we will fall a couple games short of, or hit .500, but qualify for the playoffs.

However, most have identified several common opponents we will lose to and have pegged at least 11 games that we will likely lose. This means that there are likely 17 games that we will likely or should win.

Beyond those 11 games, there is a small margin for error. That is, we cannot afford to lose to teams that we are not supposed to lose to.

So at this point, I think it's fair to look at potential "must-win" or at least "critical" games. I'd put tonight's game at Washington as critical for setting the tone and tempo for the rest of the season. I'd put 2 of the remaining games against the Knicks as must-win to have any hope of beating them in the standings. Same for Philly and probably Charlotte.

After the next 10 games, I think we will be able to identify the "must-win" games. However, if the defense has come around, perhaps I'm wrong and we really won't have to worry about any "must-win" games.

Comments?

k_lewis93
02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I think tonight is a must-win to set the tone and show we are ready to play some high quality basketball. Knicks, Charlotte, and especially Philly are must wins too becauset they are all right around where we are in the standings. I think it will be a fun second half of the season to watch.

pacer4ever
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
MikeWellsNBA No changes w starting lineup vs Wizards 2nite. Vogel sticking w Dunleavy at shooting guard

FML! why Vogel why?

SMosley21
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
My lower level tickets for the regular season finale against the Knicks just became an even hotter ticket to have. Hopefully that game holds major playoff implications for us. Can't wait to experience the atmosphere.

joeyd
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
FML! why Vogel why?

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that Coach V. knows something that we don't.

SMosley21
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that Coach V. knows something that we don't.

He has a .700 winning percentage, so I'm fine with his decisions until that drops significantly (under .500).

BRushWithDeath
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
My lower level tickets for the regular season finale against the Knicks just became an even hotter ticket to have. Hopefully that game holds major playoff implications for us. Can't wait to experience the atmosphere.

The only implication better be whether we are the 7th or 8th seed.

BillS
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
FML! why Vogel why?

Because Vogel is clearly an idiot who has an irrational man crush on players who couldn't play in NCAA Division III?

Or because he sees value in Dunleavy that PDers have blinders toward?

Let's see, which is more likely...

vnzla81
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Because Vogel is clearly an idiot who has an irrational man crush on players who couldn't play in NCAA Division III?

Or because he sees value in Dunleavy that PDers have blinders toward?

Let's see, which is more likely...

PDers are not the only people asking this questions, MG, JMV, Mike Wells and many more don't understand why Mike D is playing and they also talk about his overrated defense.

Sookie
02-22-2011, 01:36 PM
FML! why Vogel why?

Because Vogel's clearly trying to establish some consistency, when the team lacked that.

If Dun struggles, he'll get pulled. Vogel's shown he can adjust.

Not to mention, I think the wing spot isn't as simple as some are making it to be.

For me personally, I think defense is needed at the SG position more than anything, and I like keeping PG on the bench and I like Dahntay as part of the second unit. So I would personally make Dun the fifth wing.

However, that doesn't mean that Dun doesn't bring something to the team/starting unit. He does. Our offense would not look as good without him (despite his occassional stupid passes and bad shots) But I'd personally take the defense.

However, with Vogel clearly valuing consistency, and with our post players (Josh mainly) being very good defensively, perhaps Vogel believes they can make it up for the matador backcourt.

pacer4ever
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
PDers are not the only people asking this questions, MG, JMV, Mike Wells and many more don't understand why Mike D is playing and they also talk about his overrated defense.

Ya Mike Wells only tweets something like that if he finds it surprising.

pacer4ever
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Because Vogel's clearly trying to establish some consistency, when the team lacked that.

Nick "will look like dwade 2nite" Young will light up Dun 2nite he will even make him not chuck 3s like Nick normaly does. He will attack the paint and make Dunleavy look silly.

MTM
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Meeting up with pacergod2 in Richmond, VA tonight to catch the game at Chammps in Stony Point. Let us know if you want to join. The last time we got together was to watch the Philly debacle at the beginning of the season. Let's hope we are not a curse.

Sookie
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Also, I know it's been quiet, but if Brandon doesn't play tonight, could be a trade coming up..

BPump33
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Meeting up with pacergod2 in Richmond, VA tonight to catch the game at Chammps in Stony Point. Let us know if you want to join. The last time we got together was to watch the Philly debacle at the beginning of the season. Let's hope we are not a curse.

That was during the O'Brien era. It doesn't count. :D

Anthem
02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Not to mention, I think the wing spot isn't as simple as some are making it to be.

For me personally, I think defense is needed at the SG position more than anything, and I like keeping PG on the bench and I like Dahntay as part of the second unit. So I would personally make Dun the fifth wing.

However, that doesn't mean that Dun doesn't bring something to the team/starting unit. He does. Our offense would not look as good without him (despite his occassional stupid passes and bad shots) But I'd personally take the defense.

However, with Vogel clearly valuing consistency, and with our post players (Josh mainly) being very good defensively, perhaps Vogel believes they can make it up for the matador backcourt.

Great points all around.

Of course, the whole thing becomes moot if Dun gets moved at the deadline.

BillS
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Ya Mike Wells only tweets something like that if he thinks people will scream about it.

Fixed.

Dr. Awesome
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm giving Vogel the benefit of the doubt for now.

I would just hate to see him follow O'Briens pattern of terrible decisions. Mike Dunleavy is not the second best wing on this team, he is either the 4th or 5th. Seeing him constantly start with no rewards from it is mind boggling.

pacer4ever
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Me 2 thats why not moving Dunleavy to the bench makes me mad.

Pacerfan
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I really think they're trying to trade Dun and there's no reason to bench him right before the trade deadline is up. Better to just wait 2 days and try to get something of value.

pacer4ever
02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I really think they're trying to trade Dun and there's no reason to bench him right before the trade deadline is up. Better to just wait 2 days and try to get something of value.

What if he gets injured???

CT Pacer
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
They very well could be looking to trade Dunleavy, but as I've seen posted before Dunleavy usually fairs pretty well scoring wise against lesser opponents. I hate Dunleavy as much as the next guy but you can't argue that when the man gets hot there's no better scorer on the team.

daschysta
02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Hopefully a deal for mike is coming up, but at least vogel has shown that he'll bench mike for playing like a pile of crap (after the first few minutes).

I also don't think he really deserves the starting spot over brandon though, (i'm perfectly fine with bringing george off the bench as a rook, he gets more looks that way).

SMosley21
02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

What if he plays out of his mind like he's been known to do against lesser opponents and drops 35 tonight?

"What ifs" are worth about as much as the contents of my left pocket right now... NOTHING

Sookie
02-22-2011, 02:51 PM

I would just hate to see him follow O'Briens pattern of terrible decisions. Mike Dunleavy is not the second best wing on this team, he is either the 4th or 5th. Seeing him constantly start with no rewards from it is mind boggling.

Unless this is about the trade deadline, I think Vogel is extremely hesitant to take a player out of the rotation, especially in such a drastic way that we want him to (and probably that he should.)

We were playing well with Dun as a starter, team chemistry has been good. Yes, we've lost two in a row, but we're 7-3.

My guess is one of the players biggest complaints about JOB was the "Now you're a starter, oh, now you're inactive." The biggest difference between the two, is that Dun should be, perhaps the 5th wing, where as Josh for example, should be ahead in the rotation. But even still, doing that to Dun is probably something Vogel wants to avoid.

joeyd
02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm guilty of this as well but can we please stay on topic and not turn this into a Mike Dunleavy thread? See original post.

Critical wins? Must-win games? Discuss!

CT Pacer
02-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm guilty of this as well but can we please stay on topic and not turn this into a Mike Dunleavy thread? See original post.

Critical wins? Must-win games? Discuss!

Must must win! We can't lost to Washington are you kidding me?? :)

SMosley21
02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
One player that I look to have a good game is JaVale McGee. He's going to be coming off the high of performing, quite well in fact, in front of all of the world during All-Star Saturday. Stuff like that can do wonders for a young player's confidence. Hopefully Roy can keep him in check and not let him have another game like he did the last time we played @ Washington, where he only played 21 minutes but still had 16 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks in a winning effort.

joeyd
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I think a loss to Washington would be very deflating. Plus, we have the second half of a back-to-back with Detroit tomorrow, so there's little time to recover physically or mentally.

spazzxb
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM

George has been getting the most minutes of the possible 2's and Dunleavy rarely finishes games anymore. Aside from actually playing in the first second of the games George is already being treated like our 2nd best wing behind Danny. So we have DJ, Rush and Dunleavy fighting to be the #3 guy (three flawed players). I know it was pre Vogal, but Rush played his way into being the 4rth wing before he got injured.

BlueNGold
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
One player that I look to have a good game is JaVale McGee. He's going to be coming off the high of performing, quite well in fact, in front of all of the world during All-Star Saturday. Stuff like that can do wonders for a young player's confidence. Hopefully Roy can keep him in check and not let him have another game like he did the last time we played @ Washington, where he only played 21 minutes but still had 16 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks in a winning effort.

Basketball is apparently more than dunking...:laugh:

As for the playoff push, we have a tough stretch coming up Friday. Our previous coach would have led us to 6 straight losses starting Friday. It will be interesting to see if we can come out of that .500. If we do, it will be an amazing turnaround. I will be pleased winning 2 of 6 in fact.

joeyd
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Since I started this thread, we have played .500 ball. I anticipated winning one of the home games against Utah or Phoenix. With the road trip and tougher schedule coming up, and with all the back to backs, I'd say that this game tonight vs. Golden State is a critical game. It is a game we need to win. The margin for error is getting smaller with the Bobcats breathing down our necks.

Phree Refill
03-01-2011, 01:29 PM

pacer4ever aka Miss Cleo the fortune teller

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
What if he plays out of his mind like he's been known to do against lesser opponents and drops 35 tonight?

"What ifs" are worth about as much as the contents of my left pocket right now... NOTHING

Dammit :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :censored::censored::censored: I jinix him

joeyd
03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I guess we are all in agreement then. The Golden State game is a critical game to win.....

BringJackBack
03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
This was important towards getting some momentum. Hopefully we steal one on the road this week.

joeyd
03-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I agree. The Houston game is probably the easiest but it's the third game of the road trip, the fourth game in five nights, and incredibly, the second part of the second of two back to backs in 5 days.

CableKC
03-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Here's a quick analysis of the remaining schedule for the Bobcats and the Pacers:

Bobcats
Wed, Mar 2 / @ Denver /Road against Above +500 Team
Fri, Mar 4 / @ LA Lakers / Road against Above +500 Team
Sat, Mar 5 / @ Portland / Road against Above +500 Team
Mon, Mar 7 / vs LA Clippers / ***Home against Below +500 Team
Wed, Mar 9 / vs Chicago / Home against Above +500 Team
Fri, Mar 11 / vs Portland / Home against Above +500 Team
Sun, Mar 13 / @ Toronto / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Wed, Mar 16 / @ Houston / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Fri, Mar 18 / @ Oklahoma City / Road against Above +500 Team
Sat, Mar 19 / @ San Antonio / Road against Above +500 Team
Wed, Mar 23 / vs Indiana / ***Home against Below +500 Team
Fri, Mar 25 / @ Boston / Road against Above +500 Team
Sat, Mar 26 / vs New York / Home against Above +500 Team
Mon, Mar 28 / vs Milwaukee / ***Home against Below +500 Team
Wed, Mar 30 / vs Cleveland / ***Home against Below +500 Team

8 Road Games Left
- 6 against Opponents with Record Above .500
- 2 against Opponents with Record Below .500
7 Home Games Left
- 3 against Opponents with Record Above .500
- 4 against Opponents with Record Below .500

9 Total Games on the Road or at Home against Opponents with Record Above .500
6 Total Games on the Road or at Home against Opponents with Record Below .500

Pacers
Wed, Mar 2 / @ Oklahoma City / Road against Above +500 Team
Fri, Mar 4 / / @ Dallas / Road against Above +500 Team
Sat, Mar 5 / @ Houston / Road against Below +500 Team
Tue, Mar 8 / vs Philadelphia / Home against Above +500 Team
Wed, Mar 9 / @ Minnesota / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Fri, Mar 11 / @ Toronto / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Sun, Mar 13 / @ New York / Road against Above +500 Team
Tue, Mar 15 / vs New York / Home against Above +500 Team
Wed, Mar 16 / @ Boston / Road against Above +500 Team
Fri, Mar 18 / vs Chicago / Home against Above +500 Team
Sat, Mar 19 / @ Memphis / Road against Above +500 Team
Mon, Mar 21 / @ New Jersey / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Wed, Mar 23 / @ Charlotte / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Fri, Mar 25 / vs Sacramento / ***Home against Below +500 Team
Sat, Mar 26 / @ Detroit / ***Road against Below +500 Team
Mon, Mar 28 / vs Boston / Home against Above +500 Team
Wed, Mar 30 / vs Detroit / ***Home against Below +500 Team

11 Road Games Left
- 6 against Opponents with Record Above .500
- 5 against Opponents with Record Below .500
6 Home Games Left
- 4 against Opponents with Record Above .500
- 2 against Opponents with Record Below .500

10 Total Games on the Road or at Home against Opponents with Record Above .500
7 Total Games on the Road or at Home against Opponents with Record Below .500

Suffice it to say....we have a tougher road ahead of us compared to the Bobcats. The only hope that we can have is that SJax gets suspended for getting too many techincal fouls :shrug:

Peck
03-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Yea but look at it like this, if we do get in the playoffs nobody can accuse us of backing in. We will have to do some serious winning against quality teams to wrap this up.

McKeyFan
03-02-2011, 08:53 AM
I agree. The Houston game is probably the easiest but it's the third game of the road trip, the fourth game in five nights, and incredibly, the second part of the second of two back to backs in 5 days.
Maybe Vogel will be smart and play a lot of guys a lot of minutes, helping keep fresh legs throughout this crazy stretch.

McKeyFan
03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
We need to steal a game from a good team to get back our overtime lost to Detroit--the only game we've lost under Vogel that we really should have won.

Maybe we can beat the Thunder tonight.

Unclebuck
03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Yea but look at it like this, if we do get in the playoffs nobody can accuse us of backing in. We will have to do some serious winning against quality teams to wrap this up.

I'm not so sure about that. What if the Pacers get in with 36 wins - if they do I don't think they deserve it.

The Rockets have played well lately - winning 5 straight. 4 of the 5 wins on the road two pretty tough ones at NO and at Portland

I think 1 win in the next three would be great