PDA

View Full Version : Jarrett Jack busted for a DUI

Basketball Fan
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
At least he wasn't on the Pacers when this happened

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/former-tech-star-jarrett-847134.html

Former Tech star Jarrett Jack arrested for DUI in GwinnettShareThisPrint E-mail .By Larry Hartstein

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

New Orleans Hornets guard Jarrett Jack, who helped lead Georgia Tech to the 2004 NCAA title game, was arrested in Gwinnett County early Sunday on charges of DUI, speeding and failure to maintain his lane, police said.

Enlarge photo Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office Jarrett Jack

Tech Blog with Doug Roberson »
Quotes after Tech’s loss at Duke Mark Bradley on Tech »
If Hewitt goes, who might Tech target? Glad you asked Jeff Schultz on Tech »
Former Georgia Tech assistant suspended for hitting player (VIDEO) Ramblin' On with Chris Boggs »
A Final Ramblin’ for 2010?

.Jack, 27, who has an Atlanta address, was stopped in a black Mercedes-Benz shortly after 4 a.m. for speeding on U.S. 78 westbound near McGee Road, Snellville police said. He was driving 66 in a 45 mph zone, police said.

"The officer paced the vehicle, verifying that it was speeding, and observed the vehicle cross the center line and the fog line," Snellville Police Chief Roy Whitehead wrote in an email. "He stopped the vehicle and smelled an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver, Jarrett Matthew Jack. He conducted field sobriety tests, which Mr. Jack failed."

Because the police department's Intoxilyzer was not working, Jack was given the test at the Gwinnett County Jail, according to Whitehead. Jack registered a .079 at 5:38 a.m., 90 minutes after the traffic stop, according to Whitehead.

"In general, alcohol dissipates from the system at approximately .02 grams per hour," Whitehead wrote. "Therefore, he would have been over the limit of .08 at the time of the driving infraction."

Whitehead also noted that drivers can be charged with DUI-less safe if they register anything above .04 and are seen speeding and weaving.

Jack was selected 22nd overall in the NBA draft after leaving Tech following his junior season. He was the sixth Yellow Jacket to break 1,000 points and 500 assists in a career. As a junior, Jack led Tech in scoring (15.5), assists (4.5), steals (1.8) and 3-point shooting (44.2 percent).

New Orleans is his fourth NBA team. Jack, who backs up Chris Paul at point guard, is averaging 7.6 points and 2.8 assists.

Trophy
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I cannot believe this!

He's honestly one of the last guys I would expect to do something like this.

Day-V
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Former Indiana Pacer, Jarrett Jack, arrested for DUI 550 miles outside of Indianapolis.

CircleCity3318
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Stuff happens

BRushWithDeath
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
The only test they have showed that he blew a .079. Under the limit. This charge should be dropped.

xBulletproof
02-21-2011, 01:38 PM
The only test they have showed that he blew a .079. Under the limit. This charge should be dropped.

Did you skim the article? It clearly states a driver can be charged if they have a .4 and are seen weaving and speeding.

Regardless, the .79 was 90 minutes after the stop. He was clearly over the limit at the time he was pulled over.

I Love P
02-21-2011, 01:38 PM
What's it matter? He's not gonna lose his job...still going to make millions.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Shame on you Indy star and Bob Kravitz...............

Heisenberg
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
What is "DUI-less safe?"

idioteque
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Wow, I liked Jack when he was here but good thing the Pacers didn't hold on to him. Something like this, especially if it would have happened in Indiana, would have killed any good will the team has built up in recent years.

PR07
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't think this makes him a "terrible person", but he has to be a lot smarter and refrain from putting himself in this kind of position. Have a sober ride or call a cab/limo. It's that simple.

Unclebuck
02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Never understood why someone would drive 21 MPH over the speed limit even if they have had 1 beer with dinner.

"In general, alcohol dissipates from the system at approximately .02 grams per hour - that is interesting

Basketball Fan
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Never understood why someone would drive 21 MPH over the speed limit even if they have had 1 beer with dinner.

"In general, alcohol dissipates from the system at approximately .02 grams per hour - that is interesting

See I don't drink at all (never really appealed to me) because even if I wanted to drink I probably wouldn't be aware how much alcohol is in my system if I were driving. I wouldn't take that risk

And he's a pro athlete while he's not making CP3 money surely he could afford a taxi or someone to drive him everywhere isn't that a perk of a celeb?

PaceBalls
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
So when he was tested he was under the legal limit? Sounds kinda flimsy. Can they really say he had to have been over the limit because of the time that passed? I bet this one gets thrown out, not least of all because Jarrett has millions of dollars.

Also, what does this mean? "drivers can be charged with DUI-less safe if they register anything above .04 and are seen speeding and weaving."

All that said, what a dumbass. First for drinking and driving... hire a freakin driver. Second for speeding while drinking and driving. If there was ever a chance of him going back to the Pacers, it just dwindled quite a bit.

graphic-er
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you skim the article? It clearly states a driver can be charged if they have a .4 and are seen weaving and speeding.

Regardless, the .79 was 90 minutes after the stop. He was clearly over the limit at the time he was pulled over.

Except there is no way to actually prove that. Everything else is just subjective reasoning. Barely admissible in court.

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Considering he was BARELY over the legal limit, I can't really judge him at all. I've definitely been in the same situation in the past but not been pulled over. I don't think that makes me a horrible person, just didn't use the best of judgement. Luckily I'm not a public figure for the world to bash on the internet.

Kaufman
02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know the laws in the state where this happened but typically:

DWI = driving while intoxicated. BAL > state limit (0.08 in this case)

DUI = driving under the influence. Doesn't really matter what the number is as long as it is greater than 0 and the officer's judgment was that said substance was influencing or impairing the driver.

mb221
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Considering he was BARELY over the legal limit, I can't really judge him at all. I've definitely been in the same situation in the past but not been pulled over. I don't think that makes me a horrible person, just didn't use the best of judgement. Luckily I'm not a public figure for the world to bash on the internet.

I guess it depends on who you ask. Ask someone that has lost a family member to a drunk driver and they might consider you a horrible person.

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I guess it depends on who you ask. Ask someone that has lost a family member to a drunk driver and they might consider you a horrible person.

That person would be wrong.

/story

mb221
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
That person would be wrong.

/story

Cant say I can agree with that. Driving while intoxicated is a moronic move to be made no matter the situation.

/story

vapacersfan
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM

As someone stated earlier, he was BARELY over the limit 90 minutes into the stop.

I am baffled at how you can try to justify drunk driving, but to each their own. Bottom line any even if you are at .081, you are drunk, and that is unacceptable, at any level. Call a freaking taxi.

Not saying I have not made mistakes, lord knows I have, but drunk driving is one of my biggest pet peeves. In today's society there is no excuse not to call a friend, or a taxi....

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Cant say I can agree with that. Driving while intoxicated is a moronic move to be made no matter the situation.

/story

I never said it wasn't a dumb decision. I assure you that I am not a horrible person because of that dumb decision years ago.

Day-V
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I am baffled at how you can try to justify drunk driving, but to each their own. Bottom line any even if you are at .081, you are drunk, and that is unacceptable, at any level. Call a freaking taxi.

What's crazy is that .079 is completely legal. And while I'm no expert, I don't think there's much difference in a .002 blood-alcohol level.

Scot Pollard
02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
speaking of jarrett jack ive wondered why he always closes his eyes in photos

http://extras.sltrib.com/nba_charity_web/player_images/100/Jarrett%20Jack.jpg

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
speaking of jarrett jack ive wondered why he always closes his eyes in photos

http://extras.sltrib.com/nba_charity_web/player_images/100/Jarrett%20Jack.jpg

He's just squinty eyed.

vapacersfan
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
What's crazy is that .079 is completely legal. And while I'm no expert, I don't think there's much difference in a .002 blood-alcohol level.

I wish I could remember the boring, yet fascinating, alcohol awareness class our freshman had to take before they could start college (I had to oversee it the year it was implemented, so I did not have to take it, but we did beta test it before they showed up)

The question you asked was addressed, and I think while the diffrence was minor it was still noticable. Would be cool to hear from a LEO or a medic (Peck?) or the difference, as I am sure they have experience, or at least some kind of training on what the difference is.

I remember back when I was in high school DC was in the news big time becuase they pulled a lady over who had drank one glass on wine, and the judge upheld her DUI or DWI because was technically had alcohol in her system. I know her lawyers said she would fight it, but back them DC had zero tolerance. Not sure if that has changed, to be honest I go into DC once in a blue moon anymore, if that often

vapacersfan
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I never said it wasn't a dumb decision. I assure you that I am not a horrible person because of that dumb decision years ago.

Making a bad decision does not make you a bad person.

However, that does not make a accident (or injury or death) to another person justifiable, IMO.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Former Indiana Pacer, Jarrett Jack, arrested for DUI 550 miles outside of Indianapolis.

Shame on you Indystar ........ :D

Former Pacers point guard Jarrett Jack arrested, charged with DUI
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110221/SPORTS04/110221022/Former-Pacers-point-guard-Jarrett-Jack-arrested-charged-DUI?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

BringJackBack
02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
:shakehead

Trophy
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
:shakehead

I bet you don't wanna bring Jack back now. :laugh:

I'm just grateful we were able to get our PG of the future and not settle on Jack.

BringJackBack
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes sir.. Definitely happy with Collison/Price/Stephenson.

dal9
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
similar incident with Mike Williams (?) the Tampa tight end--charges got thrown out...

getting arrested under .08...a bit of a DUI and a bit of a DWB, I think...

joeyd
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I bet you don't wanna bring Jack back now. :laugh:

I'm just grateful we were able to get our PG of the future and not settle on Jack.

At least BringJackBack had the foresight not to go with a picture of JJ, instead opting for JF!!!

Kaufman
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Making a bad decision does not make you a bad person.

However, that does not make a accident (or injury or death) to another person justifiable, IMO.

va i don't think he is saying he would be justified?

Kaufman
02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
maybe we should help bringbackjack find a new screen name.

BringJackBack
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
It would just be best to go with "BJB" so that it's still familiar with everyone.

xBulletproof
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
It would just be best to go with "BJB" so that it's still familiar with everyone.

I'd advise against it. BJB ......

Reminds me of a particular Too Short song revolving around a really nice woman named Betty.

maragin
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
"The officer paced the vehicle, verifying that it was speeding, and observed the vehicle cross the center line and the fog line,"

Jarrett Jack, called for a lane violation.

Trophy
02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rFtM3VNWaKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The whole video is just a picture of his mugshot.

BringJackBack
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd advise against it. BJB ......

Reminds me of a particular Too Short song revolving around a really nice woman named Betty.

:o

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha. That didn't even cross my mind.. In a cynical way though, I want that as my name even more now. :laugh:

idioteque
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
:o

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha. That didn't even cross my mind.. In a cynical way though, I want that as my name even more now. :laugh:

Just change it to KeepJackAway. Funny, and we'd all remember you easily.

Young
02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Here is the thing. He had to know he was close to the legal limit even if he thought he was below it he had to know it was close. From the way it sounds he wasn't over the legal limit by much when they stopped him. Granted alcohol impacts everyone differently but it doesn't sound like he was completely smashed and blacking out. I think it's very easy to hit the .08 limit and not realize it. If you are drinking at all and then driving why in the world would you go 20 MPH over the speed limit?

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I'll just say this about Jarrett Jack...

From what I recall Jack was one of the nicest players we've ever had on our roster since I've been a fan of the team (since 93-94'ish), he went out of his way to take pictures with and talk to fans, sign TONS of autographs and did a boat load of community work in his short time here. I'm not saying that what he did is excusable, because it's really not. But let's not make him out to be some loathsome person over this incident.

Trophy
02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
I'll just say this about Jarrett Jack...

From what I recall Jack was one of the nicest players we've ever had on our roster since I've been a fan of the team (since 93-94'ish), he went out of his way to take pictures with and talk to fans, sign TONS of autographs and did a boat load of community work in his short time here. I'm not saying that what he did is excusable, because it's really not. But let's not make him out to be some loathsome person over this incident.

I remember I was at a Pacers road game in Philly 2 years ago and it was about an hour before the game and I was like the only one at the arena and he and I were talking for like 10 minutes about the Pacers and just anything.

He was the one who was bringing up a lot of topics.

Just a really nice guy and that's why I couldn't believe what I was reading earlier today.

This was just a mistake that Jarrett probably won't do again.

Dece
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
It always appalls me how minor an offense Americans seem to find drunk driving to be. He was going 21 over and drifting over lines. This is how people die. It's not ok. I don't care how nice a guy he is, that makes him a bad person. I don't want to hear your defense of well I drove drunk once and I'm not a bad person, that's your opinion, but personally, I think at that time you were a bad person, and if you'd do it again, then you still are a bad person.

Something around 10,000 Americans die each year from drunk driving. Many of these are innocent victims whose only crime was driving the same roads as these bad people. For reference only 3,000 people died during 9/11. We do a much better job of killing ourselves than any terrorist could hope to, and then we make excuses for the perpetrators, disgusting.

I'd hope he, and anyone they catch would get jail time, but I know better. sadface.

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
It always appalls me how minor an offense Americans seem to find drunk driving to be. He was going 21 over and drifting over lines. This is how people die. It's not ok. I don't care how nice a guy he is, that makes him a bad person. I don't want to hear your defense of well I drove drunk once and I'm not a bad person, that's your opinion, but personally, I think at that time you were a bad person, and if you'd do it again, then you still are a bad person.

Something around 10,000 Americans die each year from drunk driving. Many of these are innocent victims whose only crime was driving the same roads as these bad people. For reference only 3,000 people died during 9/11. We do a much better job of killing ourselves than any terrorist could hope to, and then we make excuses for the perpetrators, disgusting.

I'd hope he, and anyone they catch would get jail time, but I know better. sadface.

Coming from someone proclaiming themselves as "The Last Jamaal Fan", your rant seems ridiculous.

Dece
02-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Ad Hominem, last bastion of the wrong and ignorant.

Anyway, there's nothing more to be said here. Hope Jack gets jail time, I know he won't, hope he doesn't make the same bad choice again in the future.

SMosley21
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
GEORGIA DUI PENALTIES

FIRST OFFENSE WITHIN A FIVE YEAR PERIOD

Fine

$300.00 -$1000.00 plus any statutory surcharges (typically 15-25%).

Jail

10 days to 12 months, all except for 24 hours may be suspended, stayed or probated.

Theoretically, if your blood alcohol level is less than 0.08 grams %, you do not even have to do the 24 hours. Practically speaking, don't count on it. Moreover, on all DUI cases made on or after May 1, 1999, if you plead guilty or are convicted of DUI, you must be placed on twelve months probation less any jail time received.

Community Service

The law requires a minimum of 40 hours of community service unless you are under 21 years of age in which case you must do at least 20 hours. The actual time is set by the Court.

License Suspension

If you are 21 or over, your license will be suspended for one year. You will be able to get your license back at the end of 120* days if you have completed an alcohol/drug risk reduction course (DUI school) and paid the appropriate reinstatement fee. During those 120 days, you will be able to get a limited driving permit.

If you are under 21, your license will be revoked for either 6 months (under 0.08 blood alcohol level) or 12 months (0.08 or higher) and no limited permit is allowed.

joeyd
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
maybe we should help bringbackjack find a new screen name.

How about just changing the picture to Jack Nicholson?

Bball
02-22-2011, 04:17 AM
I have my doubts this does anything but get dropped.... or turn into a speeding ticket or maybe a reckless driving.

21MPH over the limit might sound bad but the next question the atty will have for the officer is what was the flow of traffic?

He'll also ask him how far he followed him. If he followed him far, it will be spun into "It sure took a long time to notice any driving irregularities didn't it?" If he didn't follow him far it will be "That was quick... wasn't it?"

Depending on what FST's he allegedly failed it will quickly turn into a spiel about the subjective grading of the officer. The spin being- it's impossible to pass an FST if you're arrested for DUI. Not that the FST led to the arrest, instead that the FST was subjectively graded to support the arrest. And with a low BA like that, I think odds are good the average person wouldn't be able to watch a videotape and note any signs of intoxication.

As for the eye test... It's another subjective test. No matter how much training the officer has the atty will go on and on about the subjectivity of the test and ask the officer how many years he's had in optometry.

Let alone how many challenges they can make against the breathalyzer itself, the application of the test, etc... Margin of error.... etc etc etc....

Not condoning any of this... just telling you how the process works. Especially with a low BA and fat wallet.

The only caveat to whether he gets out of this is if he broke down and confessed and the prosecutor has statements about him drinking that night, being drunk, etc.... comments made from his own mouth.

Even with that there's a good chance this gets dropped or reduced. And without it I'd say odds run 100% it gets dropped (or reduced to something that has no alcohol charge left on his driving record). He has the money to drag it out and afford a good atty to leave no stone unturned.

Indra
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM

So you're telling me that he is, at his very core, a very bad person because of one bad choice he made? Despite all of the other good choices, his giving to charity, taking time to make people happy, sharing God's blessings with those less fortunate, despite all of those things he is essentially rotten to the core because of this? A lifetime of giving back to others and NOT getting charged with DUI's, out the window because he made one mistake.

You are being sensationalist, or poorly choosing your words. Jarrett Jack is not a bad person. Everything I've ever seen or read about the guy speaks strongly to the contrary. What he IS, though, is human. He makes mistakes, just like you make mistakes. Just like everyone on this board has made mistakes. I would hope that the next time you make a mistake someone else is a little more forgiving than you are before they declare you a "bad person."

"...He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

Dece
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
The problem with your stance is you are viewing driving drunk as a mistake. It's not a mistake. He didn't accidentally do it, it wasn't something that just kind of happened. He made a choice, an informed choice in fact, everyone knows not to drive drunk. He still chose to do it. Then he chose to speed, and thankfully no one got hurt.

Serious question, drunk driver going 20+ over "mistakenly" veers into your lane and kills your mother. He's still a swell guy as long as he has the other aspects of his life good, right? I mean, it's just a mistake, he didn't mean it, he's a great guy still? I don't care what else is going on in your life, how amazing you are as a person in every other way, if you are someone who will choose to drive drunk then you are a bad person, period, and I hope you change before someone dies.

Indra
02-22-2011, 11:35 AM
The problem with your stance is you are viewing driving drunk as a mistake. It's not a mistake. He didn't accidentally do it, it wasn't something that just kind of happened. He made a choice, an informed choice in fact, everyone knows not to drive drunk. He still chose to do it. Then he chose to speed, and thankfully no one got hurt.

Serious question, drunk driver going 20+ over "mistakenly" veers into your lane and kills your mother. He's still a swell guy as long as he has the other aspects of his life good, right? I mean, it's just a mistake, he didn't mean it, he's a great guy still? I don't care what else is going on in your life, how amazing you are as a person in every other way, if you are someone who will choose to drive drunk then you are a bad person, period, and I hope you change before someone dies.

Knowingly making a bad decision is still a mistake. It's actually the very definition of the word. "An error or fault resulting from defective judgment."

You're speaking about hypothetical situations that never happened, so I'm not going to get into an argument with you about imagined manslaughters.

He didn't get into the car with the intent of hurting anyone. He got into the car because he made a stupid decision and thought he wouldn't get caught. There's a huge difference.

If you're so quick to label someone a bad person for one mistake I would hate to know you outside of this board.

Hicks
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I see his point. The act was bad because it endangers lives. The fact that no one got hurt is great, but let's not forget why it's a bad thing to begin with.

bballpacen
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM

I think that if he at a .79 BAC, then he is pretty damn lucky to be alive...:-o

Indra
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
I see his point. The act was bad because it endangers lives. The fact that no one got hurt is great, but let's not forget why it's a bad thing to begin with.

I'm not making excuses or apologizing for his actions. He made some very bad decisions and he will have to pay for those. My point is that this one mistake doesn't define him as a person.

I'm happy he got arrested and taken off the road that night. He can't be allowed to think that type of behavior is allowed.

bballpacen
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
While I generally agree, there is a difference and that difference is the .08 legal limit.

Indra
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I think that if he at a .79 BAC, then he is pretty damn lucky to be alive...:-o

I have a cousin who once hit .4 BAC. It's a wonder he's still alive.

PacersFan1991
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I found out from the text from ESPN, read it and thought, DUI, Jarrett Jack? Really?

bballpacen
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I have a cousin who once hit .4 BAC. It's a wonder he's still alive.
I once ran an alcohol level on a gentleman (term used very loosely here) who had just below a .5... And when I took his blood, he was coherent, and appeared to be sober.... I was thankful that I nor no one I knew was out on the roads that late:buddies:

Kaufman
02-23-2011, 01:17 AM
he very well might have been sober in the loosest sense of the term. Alcoholism is a disease of dependence. As people drink more, their tolerance increases. So to actually make an alcoholic "drunk" with change in mental status, they very well may have levels north of 1 or even 1.5. These are people who withdraw violently if they have no alcohol in their systems - seizures, visual hallicination, racing heart. To maintain a normal function, they ingest "eyeopeners" in the morning just to operate normally. Therefore, those people will have alcohol in their blood, but appear normal.