PDA

View Full Version : Buying a draft pick with cap space

Anthem
02-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Assume for a moment that the Pacers decide they're not able to acquire any players before the deadline that would help the team win. Would you be in favor of taking on another team's overpaid player in return for other assets like cash and a pick?

Here are some players whose teams might be happy to see them go. Would you be willing to take any of these guys in return for a pick?

Kevin Martin
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Mo Williams
Elton Brand

Other options?

cdash
02-20-2011, 11:28 PM
As for any of the guys on that list...pass. Martin is the only one I'd have any interest in, but not much. The others...hell no.

Ramitt
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Not knowing what the next CBA is, unless the deal is very short I am not for it. The Pacers are an undercap team from now on as far as we know. Of course if we have a sure Jordan to draft then ok do it.

xBulletproof
02-20-2011, 11:31 PM
With the high salaries of those players, the only way I consider it is if their contract ends at the same time as Danny Grangers. Start lining up your contracts to expire at the same time as soon as possible. The 2nd stipulation for accepting a deal like this, is that it would have to be a very high pick. Top 5 or so.

That's a lot of money.

vnzla81
02-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Ben Gordon and pick for Mike? :signit:

cdash
02-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Ben Gordon and pick for Mike? :signit:

Why would you do that? Gordon's contract is toxic and he's not any better than Mike on the defensive end.

IndyPacer
02-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Kevin Martin is the only one who interests me of that bunch.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Why would you do that? Gordon's contract is toxic and he's not any better than Mike on the defensive end.

He is clutch and we need somebody like that.

cdash
02-21-2011, 12:23 AM
He is clutch and we need somebody like that.

Find it someplace else with a smaller price tag. I know you hate Dunleavy, but at least his contract is expiring. Gordon's contract is stupid.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Find it someplace else with a smaller price tag. I know you hate Dunleavy, but at least his contract is expiring. Gordon's contract is stupid.

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

Here is a list of the clutch stats of this year, I don't know who from those guys is cheaper.

cdash
02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not using that list as the definitive statistics of players performing in crunch time, but Ben Gordon is a healthy way down that list. It just doesn't make any sort of sense to me whatsoever to acquire Ben Gordon when you guys are incessantly whining about Dunleavy's defense. Gordon's isn't much better, if it's even better at all.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not using that list as the definitive statistics of players performing in crunch time, but Ben Gordon is a healthy way down that list. It just doesn't make any sort of sense to me whatsoever to acquire Ben Gordon when you guys are incessantly whining about Dunleavy's defense. Gordon's isn't much better, if it's even better at all.

I really want to understand what happened to Gordon, he was amazing two years ago and now he is just ok, I need Kstats to explain this.

cdash
02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
I really want to understand what happened to Gordon, he was amazing two years ago and now he is just ok, I need Kstats to explain this.

I think his role was better on Chicago. The team was better, so he probably cared more. I'm sure the fact that he was playing for a contract also played a role in that. He's always been kind of a one trick pony anyways, and was a bad contract waiting to happen.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
I think his role was better on Chicago. The team was better, so he probably cared more. I'm sure the fact that he was playing for a contract also played a role in that. He's always been kind of a one trick pony anyways, and was a bad contract waiting to happen.

His average that year was 20pts though, he was also their closer, there is no way for them to play that many games againts the Celtics without him, he was clutch.

Taterhead
02-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Assume for a moment that the Pacers decide they're not able to acquire any players before the deadline that would help the team win. Would you be in favor of taking on another team's overpaid player in return for other assets like cash and a pick?

Here are some players whose teams might be happy to see them go. Would you be willing to take any of these guys in return for a pick?

Kevin Martin
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Mo Williams
Elton Brand

Other options?

Martin is the only guy who might be worth it. But he makes too much money for me to feel comfortable with his durability issues. Plus he is a matador on defense.

I could see Bird going after Ben Gordon though. If I remember right he wanted to trade up for him in the draft back then. Especially if Lance shows signs being our future starting PG. I like Ben a lot as a 6th man, just not sure about him as a starter, so I wouldn't be for it personally.

vnzla81
02-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Here is Ben Gordon before Detroit, he was amazing, again we need a clutch player and if they can get him cheap I think they should do it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-AQn4TlHEnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cdash
02-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Here is Ben Gordon before Detroit, he was amazing, again we need a clutch player and if they can get him cheap I think they should do it.

We can't get him for cheap though. His contract is outrageous. Yeah, he had a couple of big playoff moments, but I really don't think he is worth his contract. I don't care if we could get him for a second round pick, I wouldn't want his ornery contract. We are just digging ourselves out from these awful deals, why would we want to bring on another one?

pacer4ever
02-21-2011, 01:27 AM
We can't get him for cheap though. His contract is outrageous. Yeah, he had a couple of big playoff moments, but I really don't think he is worth his contract. I don't care if we could get him for a second round pick, I wouldn't want his ornery contract. We are just digging ourselves out from these awful deals, why would we want to bring on another one?

I think it implies we get a 1st rd pick from detroit also

hint: name of the thread

which wouldnt happen Detroit would decline

cdash
02-21-2011, 01:31 AM
I think it implies we get a 1st rd pick from detroit also

hint: name of the thread

which wouldnt happen Detroit would decline

Yeah I misunderstood what he meant originally with the title. I thought he was talking about buying a draft pick during the draft with cap space money. Even so, I don't think I'd want to do it and I know Detroit wouldn't do it.

Trophy
02-21-2011, 01:32 AM
I really don't want us to settle for an overpaid player that we don't need.

We don't need anymore wings or PGs, but we need a PF or a backup center.

I thought Elton Brand has done well this year, but he's not someone who's gonna be there for us down the road.

LA_Confidential
02-21-2011, 01:52 AM

I knew he got paid but DAMN! :jawdrop:

PacersPride
02-21-2011, 02:19 AM
if we were not going into a cba deal i would consider taking on brand if iggy came with him. brands contract ends summer 12 and i do not see any upgrades over this offseason. the new cba makes it tough though. philly and indy are good trade partners if philly indeed wants to clear space.

AI, brand

for

Dun, posey, rush, 1st, tpe

would brand work well next to hibbert is the question? guessing no.

LA_Confidential
02-21-2011, 02:27 AM
if we were not going into a cba deal i would consider taking on brand if iggy came with him. brands contract ends summer 12 and i do not see any upgrades over this offseason. the new cba makes it tough though. philly and indy are good trade partners if philly indeed wants to clear space.

AI, brand

for

I Coach Vogel's smash mouth system, yes he'd be a good fit because he is a legit low post scorer.

PacersPride
02-21-2011, 02:33 AM
I Coach Vogel's smash mouth system, yes he'd be a good fit because he is a legit low post scorer.

AI would fit well into the smashmouth approach to basketball as well. is this a style Bird will look for the next coach to have?

I am not against a one year deal for Coach Vogel if there are not any good candidates available.

BKK
02-21-2011, 03:05 AM

AI, brand

for

IMO taking on Brand's contract in addition to AI's already sizable one should allow us not to give our pick in the process. Anyway I think I'd rather pass and let our guys develop one more year together. Now if we can get AI in a Dun + Rush + 1st I'd consider it but I'd like to see what cap flexibility allows you to do a la OKC for instance.

As for Gordon I can't say I'm surprised. He's a great complimentary, huge boost from the bench type of player and as always been... And that's because he was in such a situation that he could flourish in Chicago He's never succeeded in a starting role, his flaws are way overexposed in such a role.