PDA

View Full Version : Star Article, Carlisle applauds summer work

Will Galen
09-17-2004, 09:37 AM
notebook
Carlisle applauds summer work
Several players are getting head start on training camp, which starts Oct. 5.

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
September 17, 2004

Indiana Pacers veterans are beginning to trickle into Conseco Fieldhouse for workouts in advance of training camp opening Oct. 5.

Austin Croshere, Scot Pollard and James Jones have been working out at the fieldhouse practice court for the past two weeks. Jeff Foster was in for a few days last week before returning to his offseason home in San Antonio, and Reggie Miller had a two-hour workout Wednesday while passing through town. Newly signed point guard Eddie Gill arrived Wednesday and Fred Jones is due Sunday.

First-round draft pick David Harrison has lived in Indianapolis since he was selected in June.

Coach Rick Carlisle said he has no concerns about anyone's readiness for camp, and mentioned a few highlights.

"(Jamaal) Tinsley had a great summer," Carlisle said. "He's in the 180s weight-wise and has really worked hard. Croshere has had a great summer and (Jonathan) Bender has had his best summer as a professional."

Anderson, Hawks unite

Kenny Anderson, whose only season with the Pacers ended in disappointment, signed with Atlanta on Thursday.

The Hawks also signed veteran shooting guard Jon Barry. Both Anderson and Barry reportedly signed one-year contracts for the veteran's minimum of $1.1 million.

Anderson, a 13-year veteran, opened last season as a starter for the Pacers but lost the job to Tinsley after he was injured in December. He played sparingly after that and finished with a 6.0 scoring average in 44 appearances.

Atlanta coach Mike Woodson said at Wednesday's news conference to announce the signings that Anderson probably will start for the Hawks, who have drastically revamped their roster.

Anderson, although frustrated by his lack of playing time, earned respect within the Pacers' organization for not complaining.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh gave him a strong recommendation to Hawks general manager Billy Knight.

"I told him things didn't go the way (Anderson) thought they would, but he handled himself as a pro," Walsh said.

Anderson made no criticism of the Pacers at Wednesday's news conference, and singled out Miller as one of the most professional players he's known.

"I've been an NBA player for 14 years, but I've only been a professional for about six years," Anderson said.

Farmer in camp

Former USC shooting guard Desmond Farmer has been added to the Pacers' training camp roster.

The 6-6 Farmer averaged 19.4 points and received first-team all-conference honors last season at USC. He was projected as a second-round pick but was undrafted.

Farmer averaged 16.3 points on 49 percent shooting last spring in the Portsmouth Invitational, a predraft camp for NBA prospects. He finished ninth in scoring among the 64 players in three games.

"He's a real competitive, high-energy guy who I think will be in the league at some point," Carlisle said.

Ex-coach joins Cavs

Brendan Malone, an assistant coach with the Pacers for three seasons under Isiah Thomas, signed a two-year contract with Cleveland on Thursday. He will be an assistant on Paul Silas' staff.

Malone, 62, replaced Mark Osowski, who died in August following complications from pancreatic surgery.

MZahm
09-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty excited about Tinsley. It'll be interesting to see what he's capable of now that he's in shape - what was he last year 195? 190? I hope he finally earns the respect he deserves as a great pass first PG.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty excited about Tinsley. It'll be interesting to see what he's capable of now that he's in shape - what was he last year 195? 190? I hope he finally earns the respect he deserves as a great pass first PG.

The 2003-2004 review lists him at 195...

I'm excited by all of the players getting into better shape. Overall we've probably had a really good summer and should be one of the most ready teams come the beginning of the season considering that we're in shape and have the same lineup as last year...

ImReppinBtown
09-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Yeah I think Tinz will def. be much improved this season. And I'm also ready to see if Reggie bounces back from the ankle.

Destined4Greatness
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Wait he is down to 180 after losing another 15 pounds, does that mean he has lost 30 pounds since joining the Pacers. Man he is determined, hey critics prepare to apologize.

Kegboy
09-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Wait he is down to 180 after losing another 15 pounds, does that mean he has lost 30 pounds since joining the Pacers. Man he is determined, hey critics prepare to apologize.

So, he's lost 15 more pounds since this:

http://tomswe.home.insightbb.com/skinnytins.jpg

Wow. Sure makes me feel like a fat ***. :cry:

SoupIsGood
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Tins will be good next year.

It's a contract year.

sweabs
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM

It's a contract year.

:uhoh: Don't remind me.

NewType
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM

It's a contract year.

:uhoh: Don't remind me.

But if we are going to give him an extension, which I believe we will, it's going to be before 10/31, before the season starts. So, we should be ok to lock him up before his value goes up. :devil:

Jose Slaughter
09-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Notice the letter s at the end of the number 180.

That means he could weigh 187 or 188.

"(Jamaal) Tinsley had a great summer," Carlisle said. "He's in the 180s weight-wise and has really worked hard.

Anthem
09-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah I think Tinz will def. be much improved this season. And I'm also ready to see if Reggie bounces back from the ankle.

In the stock market, I think it's called a "dead cat bounce."

SkipperZ
09-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Bah every year theres an article in the start talking about how hard the pacers are working out in the offseason.

The only player I saw marked improvement from last year (not in their numbers but in their overall game) was tinsley and Ron. (and from ron is was more mental than physical improvement) Jermaine, Foster, Al, Austin and certainly JB and Reggie didnt seem any better from the year before.

Destined4Greatness
09-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Jermaine seemed Imrpoved to me, he just didn't have a big man to help him out.

ChicagoJ
09-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Its all perspective;

Jamaal is in the 180s = 188/189 pounds

Bender is in the 220s = 220/221 pounds

Sollozzo
09-19-2004, 12:11 AM
This is the last year I'm holding out for a breakout by Bender.

MSA2CF
09-19-2004, 10:21 AM
This is the last year I'm holding out for a breakout by Bender.

What's your definition of breakout when applied to Bender?

There are two things I expect out of every Pacers game I go to: a Pacers win and a 3 by Reggie.

Sollozzo
09-19-2004, 10:39 AM
a breakout? Averaging atleast 10 points a game and being able to be consistant and healthy all season.