PDA

View Full Version : Artest thinks he should have been considered for league MVP?

Slick Pinkham
09-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I don' know what to make of this, since it is SLAM magazine, which is not exactly a credible source,

but sports illustrated quotes them:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=cnnsi-ridinghigh&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

In this month's issue of SLAM Magazine, Pacers forward Ron Artest says he should have been MVP. "We had the best record and I was the best player on the team. I felt that I should have at least been talked about for it." Can't wait to hear what Jermaine O'Neal thinks about that. ...

But then again, SLAM magazine = National Enquirer of Sports Journalism.

So...I'll believe Artest said this (and seriously meant it) as readily as I'll believe that space aliens have abducted Elvis and changed him into Dick Cheney and plan to take over the world.

efx
09-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, if he said it, he is dead wrong on both counts. As much as I love him (and there are only about 5 people in the leauge I'd trade him away for) it's pretty silly to think that he was an MVP candidate or the best player on the pacers.

Unclebuck
09-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I never pay attention to what Artest says. When he was on the Bulls he was always saying how good the Bulls were and how they should have beaten certain teams. After a couple of Bulls Pacers games he said how the Buls were a better team,.

Shade
09-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I hope to God Ron didn't actually say that. He needs to stop worrying about individual achievements and focus on bringing an NBA championship to the team instead.

Hicks
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I never pay attention to what Artest says. When he was on the Bulls he was always saying how good the Bulls were and how they should have beaten certain teams. After a couple of Bulls Pacers games he said how the Buls were a better team,.

I see what you mean to a point, but at the same time, what is Jermaine O'Neal supposed to think when he reads stuff like this from Ron? Ron's essentially saying to JO "I'm better than you". That can't help chemistry.

beast23
09-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Artest was DPOY and is also a good scorer and distributor. I would certainly not expect him to even come close to being awarded MVP. But I would think he would get a few votes.

There are different criteria in selecting an MVP for the league and for a team.

As for the Pacers, he may or may not be our best player, but I think he may very well be our most valuable player.

Vicious Tyrant
09-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I think its hopeless to think Ron's teammates find comradeship in the crazy things Ron sez, Hicks. I think to be Ron's teammate you have to pay attention to the substantive stuff he brings to the court and let the rest roll off your back. I bet Rons teammates have learned that by now.

canyoufeelit
09-17-2004, 02:32 PM
You are reading into this way too much.

Fool
09-17-2004, 02:41 PM
I think its hopeless to think Ron's teammates find comradeship in the crazy things Ron sez, Hicks. I think to be Ron's teammate you have to pay attention to the substantive stuff he brings to the court and let the rest roll off your back. I bet Rons teammates have learned that by now.

Why because they are Pacers? This kind of stuff always affects a team. I'm not saying that it will destroy anything but thinking it has no affect seems optimistic in the extreme. When doesn't this kind of stuff affect a team.

Arcadian
09-17-2004, 02:45 PM
The crediblity of the comments are iffy so I don't want to jump on him for them. That said his previous comments and actions make the story plausible.

Vicious Tyrant
09-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Why because they are Pacers? This kind of stuff always affects a team. I'm not saying that it will destroy anything but thinking it has no affect seems optimistic in the extreme. When doesn't this kind of stuff affect a team.

How dare you question me.

;)

Not b/c they are Pacers b/c Ron is Ron and, while he does seem to be making positive changes, he's still a long way from a traditional "good locker room guy". I have co-workers who are good employees, but kind of jerks. If I get wrapped up in side stuff, they drive me crazy. When I focus on what they bring to the department, I can overlook the peripheral stuff. I suspect the Pacers have learned this by now.

sweabs
09-17-2004, 04:55 PM
If Ron can raise his scoring average up around 20-25ppg I would definitely consider him for MVP...considering the Pacers had a good year.

SoupIsGood
09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
You are reading into this way too much.

No doubt.

I'm sure a lot of players think they should be MVP. Ronnie just says it.

SkipperZ
09-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Ronnie also stated two years ago that if he wanted and if coaches would let him, he would average 40 20 and 10.

He thinks very highly of himself, thats for sure, but if Jermaine gets hurt or bothered by reading that quote in a magazine, (hell if he got hurt or bothered by Ron yelling that out in practice in front of him) then Jermaine has a bigger problem that Ron, and we are in a lot of trouble. Because if our team leader will let something like that get to him, then he does not have the maturity needed to lead this team to a championship. (although i may very well be wrong, since shaq has disproven my last statement 3 times already)

Anthem
09-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Ronnie was the best player on the team for the second half of the season and the first two rounds of the playoffs.

TheSauceMaster
09-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Lord Forbid anyone say how they feel ,:laugh::laugh:

Anthem
09-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Dumb enough?

Or just honest enough?

TheSauceMaster
09-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Dumb enough?

Or just honest enough?

Honest Enough :p

Sorry , if teammates get offended then maybe they should Step up there A Game to silence such statement's. You guys know Ron says alot of things that other players are to afraid to say, yeah you may call it being a Ego Maniac , I call it Confidence.

Fool
09-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Dumb enough?

Or just honest enough?

Honest Enough :p

Sorry , if teammates get offended then maybe they should Step up there A Game to silence such statement's. You guys know Ron says alot of things that other players are to afraid to say, yeah you may call it being a Ego Maniac , I call it Confidence.

Maybe if the opinion was debatable it would be honesty but there is no way Artest should be MVP. DPOY sure, but he is nowhere near MVP which is why he isn't voted it by anyone. He doesn't dominate games offensively, he doesn't make his teamates significantly better (did the Pacers miss a step when Artest was injured last year?), and you don't have to game plan aroung him. Those are usually the criteria for MVP votes. When something isn't true, it isn't honest. It might be his opinion but its a dishonest opinion even if he really holds it, as he is deceiving himself.

Maybe its true that this particular comment won't hurt anything but its this type of comment (which Artest doesn't seem to shy away from) that causes problems. No one else on the team makes these comments, only the guy some people worry about as being a chemistry problem.

TheSauceMaster
09-20-2004, 03:57 PM
* cough* I remember a couple of years ago , JO making some comments in the Lockerroom about his teammates :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shade
09-20-2004, 04:02 PM
This kind of shows the difference between JO and Ron. The thing JO wants most is a championship. The thing Ron wants most is an MVP award.

TheSauceMaster
09-20-2004, 04:09 PM
This kind of shows the difference between JO and Ron. The thing JO wants most is a championship. The thing Ron wants most is an MVP award.

And how could you Say Ron doesn't want the Same ? HIs outburst are due to losing , he doesn't take losing well.

So I don't see how you could even say Ron doesn't want to win a Championship Just as Much as JO does:confused::confused::confused:

Shade
09-20-2004, 07:14 PM

And how could you Say Ron doesn't want the Same ? HIs outburst are due to losing , he doesn't take losing well.

So I don't see how you could even say Ron doesn't want to win a Championship Just as Much as JO does:confused::confused::confused:

I didn't say Ron doesn't want to win. I just said that individual achievements seem to be more important to him than team achievements.

McKeyFan
09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
How 'bout we find out if Ron actually said this before we continue to criticize him for it.

:chin:

Anthem
09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Shade, I think we can easily find quotes of JO saying stuff that was just as damaging.

Remember "I can't be stopped" before being shut down for a series? Cuz I sure do.

It's part of the growing process. JO's grown up, and Artest has shown every indication of growing up as well. I'm very glad we didn't trade JO after that NJ series.

Hicks
09-20-2004, 11:19 PM
JO had some unflattering quotes, but I don't remember him every even partially showing up his own teammates. Ron's (if he did say this) basically saying to JO "I'm better than you". JO never did that to any Pacer that I can remember.

ChicagoJ
09-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I thought JO said, "they can't stop me one-on-one." If so, NJ proved him right because they double-teamed him the rest of the series. But Billionaire Brad and Hot-dog-eating Tinsley went AWOL, leaving Reggie, Ron Mercer and Kevin Ollie to try to clean up the mess.