PDA

View Full Version : Espn article on Bender

Pacerized
09-16-2004, 11:21 PM
I see that Espn has an article on Bender, but it's only with insider. Does anyone have access to this?

SoupIsGood
09-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Oh I have got to read this. Someone should post it.

Pretty please.

Kstat
09-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Let me guess: it has four elements:

1) Bender is expecting an expanded role this season

2) Bender has been killing poeple in practice

3) Bender has really hit the weights, and is much stronger.

4) Bender is poised for a breakout season.

You won't need to read it, I'll go find every Bender article from the last 3 summers and post them here.

SoupIsGood
09-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder what everyone would think about Bender and his potential if he were 4 or 5 inches shorter.

Kegboy
09-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Here's the link: Busting Out (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/story?id=1881350)

And, until somebody comes along and gets the whole thing, here's the first three paragraphs:

Isiah Thomas walked up to Jonathan Bender outside the Pacers locker room, put his arm around the 18-year-old rookie and began to gush: "I'm not trying to sound like a fan, but that dunk was unbelievable."

The year was 2000. Bender had just thrown down a two-handed tomahawk on a fast break in a January game against the Lakers. The play had his new boss and the rest of the league bubbling about what lay ahead.

Flash forward to 2004. Thomas is long gone, as is nearly every member of a team that made the NBA Finals that season. With career averages of 5.7 ppg and 2.2 rpg, Bender is still nowhere close to parlaying that early buzz he generated into day-in, day-out success. For all his ballhandling skill, three-point range and explosive hops, Bender is still just a star-in-progress.

It's by Chris Palmer of The Mag, so if no one scoops it, we all can go out and buy the issue. :sarcasm:

I just noticed, Palmer refers to the game as in January, 2000, which is the year that we made it to the Finals. Trouble is, Zeke wasn't the coach then. Must have been in '01, unless Isiah just happened to be in town. Strange. Was this article written on an IBM Selectric? :devil:

[edit2] Well, I was thinking that maybe, just maybe Isiah was doing the game for NBC. I mean, he does refer to JB as an "18-year-old rookie." But then, Isiah wouldn't be Bender's "new boss", would he? Personally, I'm outraged. No matter what happens, I'm not gonna believe another word they say until Dan Rather is fired. ;)
[edit=67=1095394343]

Kegboy
09-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Sometimes I wonder what everyone would think about Bender and his potential if he were 4 or 5 inches shorter.

If he could block the way he does and dunk from the FT line at 6'7", I'd be mighty impressed. :cool:

Seriously, everyone would call him a more athletic Reggie cause he shoots 40% from the arc and at 5" shorter they'd have the exact same body.

Oh, I almost forgot. They'd also say, he will revolutionize the SG position. :laugh:
[edit=67=1095394103]

unstandable
09-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Busting Out

By Chris Palmer

Isiah Thomas walked up to Jonathan Bender outside the Pacers locker room, put his arm around the 18-year-old rookie and began to gush: "I'm not trying to sound like a fan, but that dunk was unbelievable."

The year was 2000. Bender had just thrown down a two-handed tomahawk on a fast break in a January game against the Lakers. The play had his new boss and the rest of the league bubbling about what lay ahead.

Flash forward to 2004. Thomas is long gone, as is nearly every member of a team that made the NBA Finals that season. With career averages of 5.7 ppg and 2.2 rpg, Bender is still nowhere close to parlaying that early buzz he generated into day-in, day-out success. For all his ballhandling skill, three-point range and explosive hops, Bender is still just a star-in-progress.

Maybe this is the year he finally lifts off. The July 15 trade of PF Al Harrington to Atlanta for SG Stephen Jackson has freed up valuable minutes for the baller from Mississippi. So this may be the last best chance for Bender to justify CEO Donnie Walsh's decision to trade veteran Antonio Davis to Toronto back in 1999 for the No.5 pick, the one Indiana used to land the touted high schooler.

"A big opportunity has opened up for him," says Pacers coach Rick Carlisle. "But first he needed to have a big summer."

Well, he did spend the summer getting bigger. During the off-season, the weight room was Bender's vacation house. The seven-foot beanpole with the wingspan of an eagle sweated to supplement his 220 pounds. His workouts were monitored by Pacers strength and conditioning coach Bill Dean, who regularly flew down to meet Bender in New Orleans. Better conditioning can only help the 23-year-old, who's gained 30 pounds since his rookie year. In his first five seasons, he spent 104 games on IR. Last season alone, he missed 61 games after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

"When I get the minutes, I'll prove I can produce," says Bender. "I've shown what I'm capable of; I've put in the work. Now it's about doing it every night."

As an inside-outside guy who is able to play both forward spots in an array of line-ups, Bender will certainly get court time. Carlisle says, "Jonathan's ability is unlike any I've ever seen. His versatility definitely helps his case."

Between the lines? It's time for Bender to present that case -- and win it.

Kstat
09-17-2004, 01:54 AM
Let me guess: it has four elements:

1) Bender is expecting an expanded role this season

article said:

"A big opportunity has opened up for him," says Pacers coach Rick Carlisle.

3) Bender has really hit the weights, and is much stronger.

article said:

Well, he did spend the summer getting bigger. During the off-season, the weight room was Bender's vacation house. The seven-foot beanpole with the wingspan of an eagle sweated to supplement his 220 pounds.

finally:

4) Bender is poised for a breakout season.

article said:

Maybe this is the year he finally lifts off.

Ok, 3 out of 4 aint bad, I guess......

Was anyone here surprised by ANYTHING they read in that article?

Bball
09-17-2004, 03:04 AM
Was anyone here surprised by ANYTHING they read in that article?

Bender is a bust....

It feels good just to say it and get it out of my system.

-Bball

efx
09-17-2004, 05:52 AM
There isn't an article out there that could make me care about Bender anymore. Until he performs consistently on the floor I'll just pretend he isn't there.

indygeezer
09-17-2004, 07:13 AM
The deer in the headlights look is gone..or so it seems.
The question of his heart remains.
I still say that IF he overcomes the "I'm injured/ I shouldn't play" aspect of his game, he will have MASSIVE impact on the team. Team MVP impact.

efx
09-17-2004, 07:59 AM
The thing is, we/he has thought that so many times now it's hardly worth anyones time to even think about it until we actually see some results in the reg/post season.

Of course I'd like to see him succeed but until I see it I'm ignoring all the standard "y'all are gonna see it this year" bs that I hear every summer.

MZahm
09-17-2004, 08:07 AM
I never really expected too much from Bender the last few years so I'm not all that disappointed. I don't even have great expectations from him this year, but what's with all the hate? Walsh has won far more than he's lost. I'm willing to wait and see what he does when he's healthy and he gets mins before I give up on him. If he's a productive reserve this year and breaks out next year I'll consider the Bender/Davis trade to be a decent one.

Hicks
09-17-2004, 09:00 AM
I've moved beyond EXPECTING him to do anything more than he has, but I haven't written him off either. He still could earn his keep.

Suaveness
09-17-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm just worried about everyone else. If he produced, well good. If he doesn't, then I'm not surprised in the least.

BigMac
09-17-2004, 09:25 AM
To be completely fair to Bender, he hasn't been FORCED into a situation that he HAD to produce. It has always been anything from him would be a BONUS.

And I don't think that this year is any different.

Unclebuck
09-17-2004, 09:26 AM
My only I repeat only concern about Bender is if he can stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, I expect big things from Bender. Bender is a matchup nightmare for most teams and the guy can put points on the board.

Will Galen
09-17-2004, 09:30 AM
If <giggle, giggle, snort> he breaks out during the first half the year, does anyone think Artest will be gone at the trade deadline?

sweabs
09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
If <giggle, giggle, snort> he breaks out during the first half the year, does anyone think Artest will be gone at the trade deadline?

Great point...but no.

Bender would just be a great guy to have come off the bench if he did manage to "break out"...not to be confused with "breaking a leg/arm/collarbone/wrist/etc.etc.".

Hicks
09-17-2004, 09:38 AM
To be completely fair to Bender, he hasn't been FORCED into a situation that he HAD to produce. It has always been anything from him would be a BONUS.

And I don't think that this year is any different.

I think this year IS different, because Al is gone, and they're going to give Bender that role. I think he's finally being put in a position where he HAS to produce, because he's no longer the 3rd SF, he's the 2nd. Actually, I think he'll play a role similar to what Al's was last year; he'll play backup at both PF and SF, and unless he really sucks, he will get close to 30mpg.

Unclebuck
09-17-2004, 10:27 AM
As far as a possible Artest trade being based upon Bender breaking out. I don't see the cause and effect.

They are completely differet type of players. They don't do any of the same things on the court except play the same position.

I suppose if Bender is playing great, Jax is playing great, Freddie is playing great and the Pacers want to get those three more minutes, that might increase the chances of Artest being traded.

TheSauceMaster
09-17-2004, 10:47 AM

You let me know when Bender can play half the Defense of Artest , then We can Talk...Til then NO and Hell NO :laugh::laugh:

Doug
09-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Consistantly. Not glimpses here and there. Not "oooh, what a dunk." But when he proves to me he can actually play the game of basketball and not just look lost. And he has to do it for more than one game or one month.

Roy Munson
09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
The deer in the headlights look is gone..or so it seems.

Since when?

Did you not watch the 2004 playoffs?

Ultimate Frisbee
09-17-2004, 12:55 PM
I've moved beyond EXPECTING him to do anything more than he has, but I haven't written him off either. He still could earn his keep.

Well said... I have no expectations, but who knows what'll happen in the future...