PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any good NBA books?

Roaming Gnome
02-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Are there any books set up like Reggie's "I Love being the Enemy" with a lot of the day to day happenings of life in the NBA. I have read Shaq's book and Jayson Williams book and thought they were very entertaining. I was just wondering what are some of the good NBA books that have a lot of insight on some of the behind the scenes stuff like player/ref interaction, good places and bad places to play in the league...and so on and so forth.

kerosene
02-06-2004, 07:56 PM
If you haven't before, find "Loose Balls". It's a book on the ABA.

efx
02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
I don't know how it's set up but Darryl Dawkins has a fairly new book out that alot of reviewers at least here in NY loved. Entertaining personality so I might get the book myself.

beast23
02-06-2004, 11:16 PM
HICKS -

How about an entry on the home page under Contents or Links to go to a page that would have a list of basketball books (author & title).

Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had 35 or so books on basketball. Don't recall who it was. Maybe Geezer or ABADays. That would be a good place to start.

Kstat
02-06-2004, 11:56 PM
"The Punch." by John Fienstien.

Hicks
02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
"The Punch." by John Fienstien.

I have that book, and have read the first couple chapters. once it left the topic of that punch, i also lost the time to read it. do they ever get back to that?

Awful thing that happened to Rudy, btw. Awful. *shudders*

Unclebuck
02-07-2004, 12:15 AM
HICKS -

How about an entry on the home page under Contents or Links to go to a page that would have a list of basketball books (author & title).

Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had 35 or so books on basketball. Don't recall who it was. Maybe Geezer or ABADays. That would be a good place to start.

I think that was me

ChicagoJ
02-07-2004, 12:46 AM
HICKS -

I think that was me

Yep...

Here it was...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=245&highlight=

I've picked up Oscar Robertson's autobiography. I'll eventually post a reveiw of it.

Anything by Terry Pluto is highly recommended by me.

ChicagoJ
03-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I'lll finish Oscar's autobiography on the train ride home tonight.

Shortly, I'll transcribe a couple of the more interesting parts.

Basketball book junkies - I highly recommend this book. Great discussion of off-court/ business stuff, including Oscar's lawsuit and testimony before Congress, by probably the best NBAPA leader ever.

pollardfreek
03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
The Larry Bird autobiography wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it.

kerosene
03-13-2004, 01:51 AM
I picked up John Wooden's "They Call Me Coach" a couple of weeks ago but haven't started it yet. Not NBA per say but I'm looking forward to that one. I did have to read the forward by Bill Walton though :laugh: