PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller is Pretty high on Paul George

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 02:33 AM
ReggieMillerTNT Reggie Miller
Please tell Chris Denari I'm trying to enjoy his telecast but if he needs to know the answer abt Paul George, answer is 4-6 yrs for AS nod.

That has to make Paul feel pretty good

presto123
02-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Yeah Paul is a diamond in the rough right now but some of his moves remind me of the legendary George Gervin. Anybody agree? Who remembers the iceman?

Heisenberg
02-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I think Reggie's lowballing him.

Peck
02-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Yeah Paul is a diamond in the rough right now but some of his moves remind me of the legendary George Gervin. Anybody agree? Who remembers the iceman?

He's already played more defense in a few games than the Ice Man played his entire career.:D

Not sure I see the Ice Man in him, for whatever reason whenever I see him I am reminded of a young Bernard King.

presto123
02-05-2011, 03:47 AM
He's already played more defense in a few games than the Ice Man played his entire career.:D

Not sure I see the Ice Man in him, for whatever reason whenever I see him I am reminded of a young Bernard King.

As a kid I loved watching Bernard King:)

Pacersalltheway10
02-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I think he could be 8 ppg this year. 19 ppg next year( if he starts) and possibly 24 ppg the next year. If he continues to improve every day like he is now.

Major Cold
02-05-2011, 08:01 AM
I think until he is consistent,4-6 years is reasonable. Bernard King is a good comparison. If King hadn't blown out his knee, he would of no doubt been a first ballot HOFer.

And if PG ever leads the NBA in scoring (King did in '85), we would be a contender. So here is to hoping that PG is the next King, minus the ACL blowout.

Speed
02-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I hope all of these expectations aren't premature. I love the kid, best two way player they've had in years. I just think to even project such at thing seems way way too early. Sorry to not jump on the love train, yet. Its not that I don't think its possible, I just don't know how it can be said yet.

DEEman
02-05-2011, 08:43 AM
What is with answer is 4-6 yrs for AS nod ?

McKeyFan
02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
All-star nod.

MyFavMartin
02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I have been impressed by his play... He's very smooth yet aggressive to the basket. And, of course, his jumper is sweet, but he really has the length and quickness to be special on defense.

He might be our starting 2 guard next year.

HOOPFANATIC
02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't see the Bernard King in him. Wish I did. King could flat out score on anybody. I do see some of the silkyness of Ice in his game. He needs to study Roger Brown if they have the old film. He was better than both of these other guys.

idioteque
02-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah, George certainly has a shot of being one of the 3 or so best players to ever put on a Pacers jerseys, maybe even the best in the NBA era. Of course, the chances of him doing that are slim (they would be with anyone) but how many other guys have you been able to say that about in recent years?

LA_Confidential
02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll stick with the T-Mac comparison, for now.

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Paul George's form on his shot is ridiculously smooth; I don't think there's anything like it.. I sure haven't seen a prettier or flawless form.

PacersPride
02-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I think PG24 reminds me of John Bender most of all. maybe not the same style of shot, tho both are pretty smooth. other than the extra 2 inches and maybe the vertical bender had, they are similar.

very long, slender, and can do many of the same things on the court.. even wear the same #! maybe im reaching cause i missed Bender having a chance at greatness, but I see George having some of Benders game.

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Paul George has a much better basketball IQ than Bender did, and he's not a tweener of sorts. Of course Bender could have been good, but I'd rather not think about those things.. :sad:

pizza guy
02-05-2011, 12:54 PM
If George has another off-season like the one he had with Roy, working out and doing everything he can to improve, there's no reason he shouldn't be the starting SG next year. If he gets the start and gets the minutes, and works that hard to improve, I see All Star in the following season probably. Unless he completely exceeds expectations next year. Giving the guy serious minutes (I'm talking north of 30 minutes) is probably going to translate into 20 points next year. If he can get himself into the highlights with more of those alley-oops like he had the other night, he'll be AS before we know it.

Reggie is usually a pretty good evaluator of these types of things, but I agree that he's selling him a little short. But, it's better to under-promise and over-achieve than over-promise and under-achieve.

cdash
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Paul George's form on his shot is ridiculously smooth; I don't think there's anything like it.. I sure haven't seen a prettier or flawless form.

Ray Allen. Most beautiful jump shot you will ever see.

sothenrobbiesaid
02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Mike Miller, believe it or not, has great form. Add Eric Gordon and Ray Allen to that list. As far as Pacers go, of course PG has a nice jumper, but BRush has a very smooth jumper as well.

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Ray Allen. Most beautiful jump shot you will ever see.

When he was still young, hell yeah. Now that he's gotten older, his form went fast-forward and it's not nearly as smooth anymore. It's more mechanical (And more flat, I think) like Danny's is the more that I watch him.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yzw_SUvLq4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here in this video I started salivating at the mouth because his basketball shooting form was so beautiful.

joeyd
02-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I hope all of these expectations aren't premature. I love the kid, best two way player they've had in years. I just think to even project such at thing seems way way too early. Sorry to not jump on the love train, yet. Its not that I don't think its possible, I just don't know how it can be said yet.

Generally I'd say yes, it's really silly to project. But...several of his team mates believe this. They've seen the guy in practice, observed his work ethic and know whether he has basketball "smarts." In talking with a couple of players before the season and just after it started or listening to them in interviews, they were raving about George, without being prompted to do so. These were veterans that have seen many players come and go. So I guess I tend to believe that there is something there.

pizza guy
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
When he was still young, hell yeah. Now that he's gotten older, his form went fast-forward and it's not nearly as smooth anymore. It's more mechanical (And more flat, I think) like Danny's is the more that I watch him.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yzw_SUvLq4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here in this video I started salivating at the mouth because his basketball shooting form was so beautiful.

His shot is so quick and easy, man it's incredible.

OT--The NBA needs a team in Seattle. The Sonics jerseys were sweet, and the crowd (I always thought) was one of the best. They're great sports fans out there, and it's sinful to deprive them of a team. I know there's a lot of politics and such that go into, and I'm not looking for a discussion on that. But man, the NBA misses Seattle.

presto123
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM

That's why I said George Gervin. He was known for being Mr. smooth. I'll stick with my Gervin comparison. I think Gervin is one of the highest scorers ever. I'll have to look that up.

Just looked it up. I think he is 34th on the all time list. Bernard King is 39th.

avoidingtheclowns
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Wonder what Reggie thinks now...

From TJ's twitter... (h/t Tim Delete-ahue @ 8p9s (http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/02/i-loves-me-some-paul-george-but-dude-really/))

Should we fine @King24George for wearing a BULLS HAT on team plane??? #whatwashethinking http://yfrog.com/h7i1jphj
22 minutes ago

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/i1jph.jpg (http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/i1jph.jpg)

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 04:00 PM

From TJ's twitter... (h/t Tim Delete-ahue @ 8p9s (http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/02/i-loves-me-some-paul-george-but-dude-really/))

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/i1jph.jpg (http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/i1jph.jpg)

:picardriker:

cdash
02-05-2011, 04:00 PM
His shot is so quick and easy, man it's incredible.

OT--The NBA needs a team in Seattle. The Sonics jerseys were sweet, and the crowd (I always thought) was one of the best. They're great sports fans out there, and it's sinful to deprive them of a team. I know there's a lot of politics and such that go into, and I'm not looking for a discussion on that. But man, the NBA misses Seattle.

Ship the Kings or Grizzlies there. I'd say the Hornets, but New Orleans needs an NBA team. That city is just too damn fun. The French Quarter is probably my favorite section of any city I've been to. Of course I was there during Mardi Gras, but still.

cdash
02-05-2011, 04:01 PM

They are going to haze the **** out of him for that.

pizza guy
02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
They are going to haze the **** out of him for that.

Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone! Remember the stink some woman made about the pink backpacks?

Crazy woman, if you're reading this, he didn't mean "haze." He meant, "encourage, hug, and coddle the **** out of him for that."

cdash
02-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone! Remember the stink some woman made about the pink backpacks?

Crazy woman, if you're reading this, he didn't mean "haze." He meant, "encourage, hug, and coddle the **** out of him for that."

If I knew who that woman was, I'd haze the **** out of her too. Dumb *****.

Doddage
02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Take that **** off Paul.

The funny thing about Reggie giving PG props is that Reg was our last "big thing" to come out of California. They were drafted at almost the same spot too. I'm not getting ahead of myself at all, but the parallels are there.

McKeyFan
02-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Defensively, PG reminds me a bit of Pippin.

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 05:16 PM

What do you guys think he's eating? Is that sausage or something? Breadsticks? I can't really tell.

DemonHunter1105
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Couldn't he just have worn a Cubs hat or something? Anything but the Bulls. Oh well, I still <3 PG, no homo.

joeyd
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
What do you guys think he's eating? Is that sausage or something? Breadsticks? I can't really tell.

I tell ya, whatever it is, it's better than what you and I can get on a flight!

PR07
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Why does he have a Bulls hat on? :confused:

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Probably because like most guys his age he grew up idolizing Michael Jordan. He's a year younger than me and I loved Michael. I still have two Jordan jersey's. Both are child sizes, but I'm not getting rid of them. One is just a normal red Bulls jersey, the other is his Toon Squad jersey.

cgg
02-05-2011, 07:21 PM
King24George Paul George
The reason for the bulls hat was to go with some retro Jordan shoes lol not just to wear it.. I didn't even see it that way!

/

presto123
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Could we picture Peyton Manning wearing a Patriots cap?

cgg
02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe if he was wearing Tom Brady shoes and needed a hat to match.

cdash
02-05-2011, 07:29 PM

He claimed it went with his Retro Jordan shoes he had on.

Day-V
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Jeff Foster didn't wear a Bulls hat.....

Merz
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM

I think it's General Tso's chicken or some kind of glazed chicken.

pizza guy
02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Probably because like most guys his age he grew up idolizing Michael Jordan. He's a year younger than me and I loved Michael. I still have two Jordan jersey's. Both are child sizes, but I'm not getting rid of them. One is just a normal red Bulls jersey, the other is his Toon Squad jersey.

that is epic.

Sandman21
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Ironically Brady got caught a few years back wearing a New York Yankees hat. Needless to say, the Red Sox/Yanks rivalry got a little more funny for a time.

esabyrn333
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Ship the Kings or Grizzlies there. I'd say the Hornets, but New Orleans needs an NBA team. That city is just too damn fun. The French Quarter is probably my favorite section of any city I've been to. Of course I was there during Mardi Gras, but still.

Trust my spent 12 years in the area and Mardi Gras is about the worst time of year. That place is a great party all year round....:buddies::buddies::buddies::buddies::budd ies::buddies::buddies::buddies::buddies::buddies:

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
that is epic.

I love that jersey, it's in a box now, I gotta take it out and take a pic.

Anthem
02-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Do you guys see George as a 2, long term?

BobbyMac
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't see the Bernard King in him. Wish I did. King could flat out score on anybody. I do see some of the silkyness of Ice in his game. He needs to study Roger Brown if they have the old film. He was better than both of these other guys.

I agree, but to be like Brown he needs to work on his first step on offense, Brown had the best first step to the basket of anyone I ever saw!

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 11:24 PM

He's pretty versatile*, so I think he'd be fine as either a 2 or a 3. My buddy xBulletproof pulled up some stats showing opponent's numbers while being guarded by Paul George while he was both a 2 and a 3, and the numbers were equally impressive when compared (Him being a 2 vs. him being a 3).

(Here's xBulletproof's post:
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1155455&postcount=54 )

It just depends on Granger's health or whether or not he is moved as well. I think if he's moved or injured, we slide PG down to small forward and get a shooting guard since they are a dime a dozen.

*Versatility is a good way to describe him when questions are asked about his position

beast23
02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't really care for the comparisons with other players one way or the other. King and Gervin were certainly very smooth scorers capable of scoring in a variety of ways from mid-range in, but neither would ever be confused with a great perimeter shooter... even though both probably shot 50% for their careers.

What I do see in George is a player that has the potential to be a great perimeter shooter with length and quickness to be able to beat his man off the dribble to get to the rim. You think about that, and combine it with a refined mid-range game and that makes for a very lethal combination of offensive skills.

What I would like to see George do is to come into next season as an even better perimeter shooter with improved handles and the ability to finish in a variety of ways. Of course, picking up a Roger Brown move in stopping on a dime and hitting the 10 footer wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Everyone in the league can see that George has tremendous upside, it's just a question of whether that potential can be achieved. But to state his possible future accomplishments as though they are almost a certainty is a stretch, because many, many player who have preceded him with such promise just haven't made the transition from very promising player to great player.

And as far as comparisons go, I'll just be very happy if Paul George just becomes the best Paul George that he can possibly be. If he accomplishes that, as a Pacer fan I will be tremendously happy.

pizza guy
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM

Yes.

His size says Small Forward, but his skill set/quickness lends itself very well to SG, in my opinion. Unless something changes and the front office decides to trade Granger for Eric Gordon, Paul George needs to play at SG so Danny can stay at SF.

If by "long term" you mean beyond Danny's career, then I don't know. That depends entirely on who is on the team at that point. But as long as Danny is here, George is too good to stay on the bench, and he has the ability to play either position.

15th parallel
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM

Yes. He's fast enough to guard the likes of CP3, plus he has a beautiful shooting stroke and he has the potential to dribble drive to the basket with his smooth moves. That's Kobe-like potential if you ask me.

Plus with his length and size, he can be at a mismatch advantage on both sides of the floor. Him and Danny can be this generation's Miller-Rose combo, but with different skillsets.

cdash
02-06-2011, 12:53 AM

Honestly...no. I think he can play the 2 without any major problems, but if you want to maximize his talents and impact I think he needs to play the 3.

cdash
02-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Yes. He's fast enough to guard the likes of CP3, plus he has a beautiful shooting stroke and he has the potential to dribble drive to the basket with his smooth moves. That's Kobe-like potential if you ask me.

Plus with his length and size, he can be at a mismatch advantage on both sides of the floor. Him and Danny can be this generation's Miller-Rose combo, but with different skillsets.

Paul George is not fast enough to guard CP3, that's just nonsense. Very few people in the league are. If his knee were 100%, then that already short list dwindles even further.

pacer4ever
02-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Honestly...no. I think he can play the 2 without any major problems, but if you want to maximize his talents and impact I think he needs to play the 3.

T-mac plays the pg now and was at his best playing shooting guard. I hope George can be successfull at the 2 that is letal a 6"9 shooting guard. If Galio can play the 2 why cant PG?

cdash
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
T-mac plays the pg now and was at his best playing shooting guard. I hope George can be successfull at the 2 that is letal a 6"9 shooting guard. If Galio can play the 2 why cant PG?

He can. I said he can without any major problems. I just think he would be best utilized at the 3.

And when does Gallinari play the 2 for the Knicks? A better comparison would have been Wilson Chandler.

righteouscool
02-06-2011, 03:11 AM
He can. I said he can without any major problems. I just think he would be best utilized at the 3.

And when does Gallinari play the 2 for the Knicks? A better comparison would have been Wilson Chandler.

Or. . . Mike Dunleavy, since you know, they are on the same team.

Jayday00
02-06-2011, 03:48 AM
By year 3.. He will be starting and be a BEAST!

Ballerzfan
02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
While the Iceman was smooth, I see more Jamaal Wilkes smooth in his shot.

TooBigNdaPaint
02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Naw, not even close to me. I grew up in San Antonio and watched Iceman, James Silas (a.k.a. Captain Late), and Artis Gilmore in the mid-70's. Iceman at 6'7" was a big SG (for his time) and was 'money' from the outside and brought a street game (from the slums of Detroit) that included finger-rolls at the basket plus an array of bank shots and a nasty semi-hook that he shot over big men when near the basket. He was also an All-Star for 12 consecutive years.

Paul George does, however, have the same faceless demeanor on the court as Iceman and floats around the court like the Iceman. Paul George is also way more athletic than the Iceman who was kinda slow and not very explosive (which accounted for the Iceman's array of 'street' moves that he had to use to beat quicker SG's, athletic SF's, and monster PF's that stood in his way when he attacked the rim). I think we ALL hope that PG works hard on his game (mid-range & fadeaway shot, handling the rock in traffic, and his ability to finish around the rim) this entire summer. He's coming around but he's no where NEAR where he could be if he 'decides' to devote himself to be the next Indiana Legend!!!

cdash
02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Or. . . Mike Dunleavy, since you know, they are on the same team.

Mike Dunleavy would be a lot better served playing the 3. He's played out of position pretty much the entire time he's been here, which is part of the reason his defense is as poor as it is.

Day-V
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I think Reggie's lowballing him.

Sorry for the bump, but yeah, Reggie Low-balled him.

Derek2k3
01-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Unless he meant starter as opposed to reserve.

Until Lebron/Wade/Melo are gone, those guard/forward spots are going to be tough to get. Because fans are idiots, as a general rule.

See: Garnett, Kevin. 2013 ASG Starter.

Mac_Daddy
01-21-2013, 11:14 AM

I see some Scottie Pippen in him. The length, athleticism, great on D, can take over on O when needed.

DEEman
01-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I see some Scottie Pippen in him. The length, athleticism, great on D, can take over on O when needed.
I see a player who will be related to in the future.. "Damn, that dude plays just like Paul George..."

Doddage
01-21-2013, 11:35 AM
By year 3.. He will be starting and be a BEAST!
Looks like this guy was right.

Mac_Daddy
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes.

His size says Small Forward, but his skill set/quickness lends itself very well to SG, in my opinion. Unless something changes and the front office decides to trade Granger for Eric Gordon, Paul George needs to play at SG so Danny can stay at SF.

If by "long term" you mean beyond Danny's career, then I don't know. That depends entirely on who is on the team at that point. But as long as Danny is here, George is too good to stay on the bench, and he has the ability to play either position.

I think we should trade Artest and some pieces to Orlando for TMac.

Mac_Daddy
01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I see a player who will be related to in the future.. "Damn, that dude plays just like Paul George..."

I'm more than okay with this.

Heisenberg
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM

I'm clearly a basketball genius.