PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul Jabbar is cancer free

Basketball Fan
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6091543&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: I'm cancer-freeEmail Print Comments2 ESPNLosAngeles.com

Los Angeles Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said in a post on his Twitter account that he is "100 percent cancer free" on Friday afternoon.

In November 2009 Abdul-Jabbar announced that he was being treated for a rare form of leukemia, but that his prognosis was encouraging.

In a series of television interviews, he revealed that he'd been diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia in December 2008.

Abdul-Jabbar, the NBA's all-time leading scorer, has served as a special assistant with the Lakers in recent years. He's also been working on his film, "On the Shoulders of Giants," about the Harlem Rens, the first all-black professional basketball team.

Kstat
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Good for him. May he be a self-centered jerk for many years to come.

tora tora
02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Blast from the past..
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LsSoX6qB9N0" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

King Tuts Tomb
02-04-2011, 10:28 PM
A couple years ago I went to a retired player exhibition game featuring Tim Hardaway, Robert Horry, Nique and some other plays and Kareem coaching. Kareem sat on the bench the entire game and never said a word to any of the players so I started to heckle him "Call a play Kareem! You suck!" etc. The next day they broke the news about his leukemia so I felt kinda bad about yelling at him about being lazy.

FlavaDave
02-05-2011, 11:10 PM
A couple years ago I went to a retired player exhibition game featuring Tim Hardaway, Robert Horry, Nique and some other plays and Kareem coaching. Kareem sat on the bench the entire game and never said a word to any of the players so I started to heckle him "Call a play Kareem! You suck!" etc. The next day they broke the news about his leukemia so I felt kinda bad about yelling at him about being lazy.

Kinda bad?

sportfireman
02-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Believe in GOD, anything is possible!!!:)

King Tuts Tomb
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Kinda bad?

To be fair to me no one knew he had leukemia at the time, and he didn't do anything the entire game. I was at least partially justified.

RamBo_Lamar
02-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm happy for him winning what has surely been the battle of his life (other than
maybe the battle tora tora posted :-o). Big kudos to his doctors as well for helping
him get this deadly disease knocked down.

Anyone who beats and survives any kind of cancer is truly an inspiration in my book.

WTG Kareem!

Mr_Smith
02-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Good for him. May he be a self-centered jerk for many years to come.

What did he do to you?? Anyway, I'm glad he's cancer free. I was worried about him for a minute.