PDA

View Full Version : Redo the 2010 NBA Draft (Pre-All Star Break Version)

Psyren
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
So we're more than halfway done with the 2010 season. Based off of the rookies performances to this point, how would you redo the 2010 NBA draft (Top 10 Picks)?

*Blake Griffin Excluded

Original 2010 NBA Draft

1. John Wall
2. Evan Turner
3. Derrick Favors
4. Wesley Johnson
5. DeMarcus Cousins
6. Ekpe Udoh
7. Greg Monroe
8. Al-Farouq Aminu
9. Gordon Hayward
10. Paul George
11. Cole Aldrich
12. Xavier Henry
13. Ed Davis
14.Patrick Patterson
15. Larry Sanders
16. Luke Babbitt
17. Kevin Seraphin
18. Eric Bledsoe
19. Avery Bradley
20. James Anderson
21. Craig Brackins
22. Elliot Williams
23. Trevor Booker
24. Damion James
25. Dominique Jones
26. Quincy Pondexter
27. Jordan Crawford
28. Greivis Vasquez
29. Daniel Orton
30. Lazar Hayward

31. Tibor Pleiss
32. Dexter Pittman
33. Hassan Whiteside
34. Armon Johnson
35. Nemanja Bjelica
36. Terrico White
37. Darington Hobson
38. Andy Rautins
39. Landry Fields
40. Lance Stephenson
41. Jarvis Varnado
42. Da'Sean Butler
43. Devin Ebanks
44. Jerome Jordan
45. Paulao Prestes
46. Gani Lawal
47. Tiny Gallon
48. Latavious Williams
49. Ryan Richards
50. Solomon Alabi
51. Magnum Rolle
52. Luke Harangody
53. Pape Sy
54. Willie Warren
55. Jeremy Evans
56. Hamady N'Diaye
57. Ryan Reid
58. Derrick Caracter
59. Stanley Robinson
60. Dwayne Collins

Don't redo the entire draft. That would take forever.

I'm mostly just interested in the top 10. I just gave the whole list to refresh everybody's memory of the draft.

If you choose to do more than the top 10, go for it.

Day-V
02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Man, looking at picks 8-11, it makes you stop and think:

"Boy, did we get lucky."

Thank God for the Utah Jazz.

BringJackBack
02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
1. John Wall
2. Paul George
3. Derrick Favors
4. Demarcus Cousins
5. Greg Monroe
6. Evan Turner
7. Landry Fields
8. Eric Bledsoe
9. Ed Davis
10. Wes Johnson

I can't believe Utah was stupid enough to take Gordon Hayward over Paul George.

:lol:

PacerPenguins
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
1. Wall
2. Favors
3. George
4 Cousins
5. Monroe
6. Sanders
7. Turner
8. Fields
9. Ed Davis
10. Neil

Marlin
02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
1. Wall
2. Cousins
3. Favors
4. George
5. Monroe
6. Turner
7. Fields
8. Davis
9. Aminu
10. Udoh

Psyren
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Man, looking at picks 8-11, it makes you stop and think:

"Boy, did we get lucky."

Thank God for the Utah Jazz.

I will be forever thankful to the Utah Jazz for saving us :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Day-V
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I will be forever thankful to the Utah Jazz for saving us :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I believe one of the first things I said on PD after I got back from Conseco that night was something along the lines of, "I ****ing love the Utah Jazz."

Psyren
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I believe one of the first things I said on PD after I got back from Conseco that night was something along the lines of, "I ****ing love the Utah Jazz."

I wish I could thank this a million more times.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
1. Wall
2. George
3.Cousins
4. Monroe
5. Favors
6. Turner
7. Aminu
8. Davis
9. Fields
10. Bledsoe

Day-V
02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I wish I could thank this a million more times.

lol, well I appreciate it. BTW, found the post: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1019659#post1019659

In terms of my top 10, which really who am I to give one, but I'll play along:

1. John Wall
2. DeMarcus Cousins
3. Derrick Favors
4. Paul George
5. Landry Fields
6. Evan Turner
7. Ed Davis
8. Al-Farooq Aminu
9. Ekpe Udoh
10. Eric Bledsoe

smj887
02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone have and care to post Gordon and George's per-36 numbers?

Marlin
02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
lol, well I appreciate it. BTW, found the post: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1019659#post1019659

1. John Wall
2. DeMarcus Cousins
3. Derrick Favors
4. Paul George
5. Landry Fields
6. Evan Turner
7. Ed Davis
8. Al-Farooq Aminu
9. Ekpe Udoh
10. Eric Bledsoe
No Monroe up there, Day-V? I'm asking since with him in there it pretty much reflects my list, just seeing if you disagree on that or you just forgot him.

Day-V
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I just honestly have never seen him play. Probably does deserve it, though. Probably more than Udoh.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

1. John Wall
2. DeMarcus Cousins
3. Derrick Favors
4. Paul George
5. Landry Fields
6. Evan Turner
7. Ed Davis
8. Al-Farooq Aminu
9. Ekpe Udoh
10. Eric Bledsoe
What do u have agasit Greg Monroe? he has played very well the past month when reciving PT

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Anyone have and care to post Gordon and George's per-36 numbers?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/haywago01.html

10pts 4rebs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

16pts 7rebs 2steals 1 block 2 assits

Young
02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
As far as the top ten I would have it like this:

1. John Wall
2. Derrick Favors
3. DeMarcus Cousins
4. Paul George
5. Evan Turner
6. Greg Monroe
7. Wesley Johnson
8. Ed Davis
9. Landry Fields
10. Patrick Patterson

I am tempted to have Cousins off the top 10 list because I don't think he will keep his head on straight. I almost moved Turner ahead of George but decided against it but I think there are both right there.

Really?
02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
2 things just thinking about...

The draft is all about potential, halfway through the first year is still a short time to judge that... saying that I think some people are putting Turner way too low....

Next thing I have a question for anyone...

So right now if it was offered would u trade George for Favors... hummm?

PacerPenguins
02-03-2011, 09:15 PM

no

Psyren
02-03-2011, 09:17 PM

No.

There would have to be additional pieces coming from NJ. Obviously salaries don't match for a straight deal, but I'd want either a first or Devin Harris coming back with Favors.

Really?
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey just a couple more things to add to this, Dwight Howards numbers as a rookie are barely better than Favors per 36min

and George's are similar to Kobe in his first when he was 18 and 3rd season when he was 20...

Just saying...

PaceBalls
02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Cool thread,

If everything goes well, Paul is going to be considered up there with Danny Granger as as one of all time luck out picks that dropped to us. The fact that Paul is so good right out of college with such an amazing skill set makes me completely doubt all the draft analysts and hype machine. If I recall correctly, Paul didn't even move up into the top ten mocks until after the college season was over.

dohman
02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
It's hard to believe that we actually have a draft pick that is not taking 3-4 years to develop.

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Is anyone actually taking team needs into account, or are we just listing the best 10 guys from this draft class in order?

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
It's hard to believe that we actually have a draft pick that is not taking 3-4 years to develop.

Irony is, this is the pick we thought would take 3-4 years to develop.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Is anyone actually taking team needs into account, or are we just listing the best 10 guys from this draft class in order?

I didnt take teams into account but Cousins should have went 2nd. Phily doesnt have a center.

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I didnt take teams into account but Cousins should have went 2nd. Phily doesnt have a center.

Philly should have taken Favors methinks. We are all undervaluing him a little bit, but he still has as much upside (there's that word again...) as anyone in this draft class.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Irony is, this is the pick we thought would take 3-4 years to develop.

I didnt think it would take that long he just struggled sometimes at Fresno because he had very little talent around him. Playing with pacers NBA talent compared to Fresno st team makes his life easier.

I still think we dont run enoght plays for Paul for some reason we freeze him out of the offense. I want to see Paul and Tyler in the PnR game.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Philly should have taken Favors methinks. We are all undervaluing him a little bit, but he still has as much upside (there's that word again...) as anyone in this draft class.

no i like Favors but Philly has a good PF and dont have a real center.

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I didnt think it would take that long he just struggled sometimes at Fresno because he had very little talent around him. Playing with pacers NBA talent compared to Fresno st team makes his life easier.

I still think we dont run enoght plays for Paul for some reason we freeze him out of the offense. I want to see Paul and Tyler in the PnR game.

On draft night, I remember almost universal agreement that Paul George was going to be something of a project.

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
no i like Favors but Philly has a good PF and dont have a real center.

...who is their good PF? Don't you dare say Elton Brand, either.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
On draft night, I remember almost universal agreement that Paul George was going to be something of a project.

I would have dis agreed if i was a member. I figured at worst he would be a spot up shooter and a defensive stopper as a rookie. The kid still has a lot more room to grow which is exciting.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
...who is their good PF? Don't you dare say Elton Brand, either.

check his stats before u say that. He is finnaly healthy he just took longer to heal off his knee injury

vnzla81

Chad Ford said many times that he has the potential to be the best player in the draft but it was going to take him 3 years, Chad Ford is a huge fan of PG.

cdash
I would have dis agreed if i was a member. I figured at worst he would be a spot up shooter and a defensive stopper as a rookie. The kid still has a lot more room to grow which is exciting.

Well you were one of the few. I'm not really talking about members around here either, I meant more of the national media.

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
check his stats before u say that. He is finnaly healthy he just took longer to heal off his knee injury

I know his stats he's on my fantasy team, but I don't think you can count on this guy as a long-term solution. And the Cousins/attitude thing doesn't just scare gunshy teams like us, it scares a lot of teams. That's why I think most teams would pick Favors over Cousins, even in a do-over.

Psyren
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Agreed. Nearly every analyst that I read/watched on TV felt that PG was nothing more than a project who would take at least 3 years to really contribute.

It seems as though they were wrong.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Well you were one of the few. I'm not really talking about members around here either, I meant more of the national media.

Jay Bilas? Chad Ford? lol they judged him off his stats and a few key games where he played poorly i will admit. The other teams coach made sure Paul's teammates would have to beat them. Plus his team played zone so you really couldnt judge his defensive ablity. Unless you watched a lot of fresno. I mean it will take 3yrs for him to ave 20 ppg maybe but not to help a team win games.

BringJackBack
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Chad Ford said many times that he has the potential to be the best player in the draft but it was going to take him 3 years, Chad Ford is a huge fan of PG.

Chad Ford is also David Morway's boyfriend. :-p

Psyren
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM

I'm not taking team needs.

Just the best 10 guys from the draft class now that we've seen them play through half a season.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I know his stats he's on my fantasy team, but I don't think you can count on this guy as a long-term solution. And the Cousins/attitude thing doesn't just scare gunshy teams like us, it scares a lot of teams. That's why I think most teams would pick Favors over Cousins, even in a do-over.

Thats fair

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Jay Bilas? Chad Ford? lol they judged him off his stats and a few key games where he played poorly i will admit. The other teams coach made sure Paul's teammates would have to beat them. Plus his team played zone so you really couldnt judge his defensive ablity. Unless you watched a lot of fresno. I mean it will take 3yrs for him to ave 20 ppg maybe but not to help a team win games.

Okay, you win. I was wrong.
:laugh:

Psyren
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
So, what's the thoughts on Wes Johnson at this point in the season?

cdash
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Extraordinarily unimpressed. P4E has a great synopsis of him I remember reading in another thread.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Okay, you win. I was wrong.
:laugh:

No, I know what they were saying but i dont think a lot of them watch a lot of Paul George. But they are partily true it might take him 3-6 yrs to blossom into a star it took T-mac 4 yrs.

Pacersalltheway10
02-03-2011, 10:41 PM
The Jazz was already a playoff team and they wanted a solid role player who could contribute right away. but most people thought of george as a project.

pacer4ever
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM

I really didnt like him coming out. He aves 27 mpg 9pts 2rebs 2assits damm near last in rookie usage 26th i belive Paul is 7th while playing half the minues per game. To me he is just a solid spot up shooter with decent defense and doesnt do anything eles. with not very much potenial to get better. I really thoght the Twolves were gonna trade down and draft Paul George or a big as the Twolves had him in just a few days prior to the draft. Or they would of drafted Monroe or Cousins drafting Johnson baffled me. I know the Pistons were trying to trade up to get Cousins but I guess they saw something in Wes.

with a horrible PER rating at 10.0 playin 1270 total mintues

compared to Paul George's PER is 17.1 in only 425 total mintues

xBulletproof
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Let's be honest, George had an underwhelming performance in a conference without NBA talent for the most part. It certainly looked like he could have the Brandon Rush curse of not being aggressive enough. I have seen stretches of each, I still worry that he won't be aggressive enough to be a true star. It's really my only knock on the kid so far.

As for Wes Johnson, he's 23 and looks to be the one with the Brandon Rush syndrome for sure to me. He seems to camp at the 3 point line and looks for that. Granted he's shooting 38% behind the line. It's half of his shot attempts, so it explains his 43% from the field. He's interesting, I think it's 50/50 whether he becomes a solid starter, or an ideal bench player.

Thoreau87
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
ESPN wrote a draft redo article earlier this year. Here's what they had to say:

What if there were do-overs in the draft?

After a quarter of the season, what if teams could pick another player from the 2010 draft? Would they take a short-term approach and try for a quick fix? Would they draft differently if the guy they selected ended up getting hurt early on? Or would they simply know a lot more about these guys, as professionals, and have a different view of either their own draft pick or someone else's?

Well, let's have some fun and find out.

It's too early to make final judgments or say that teams were wrong in the draft. Rather, this is just another snapshot of how the rookies look today.

Eventually, this will be a way to see how this season's rookies evolve, as we return to this theme from time to time. As we see every year, fortunes ebb and flow over the course of a season -- and a career.

Note: In the case of the Nets, Kings and Clippers, we're not saying they took the wrong player -- quite the opposite, in fact.

Still, it's an instructive exercise. And as of today, there is little doubt that many teams would like a do-over with their pick.

But not at the No. 1 spot ...

Wall

Pick No. 1: John Wall to the Wizards
Hmmm, would the Wiz take a point guard who shows competitive fire, Formula 1 speed, a willingness to defend and the charisma of a star? Of course they would.

A better debate about Wall: Where would he go in a draft with Derrick Rose and Blake Griffin? I'd guess 50 percent of the GMs would take Wall first. That's how special he can be.

While Rose is a dynamic scorer and Griffin is a beast all over the court, Wall can be both a great scorer and a more natural lead guard than Rose, while also being an upgrade on defense. And it seems the league values guys like him more than anyone else besides star quality centers.

Favors

Pick No. 2: Derrick Favors to the 76ers
This looks like as much of a no-brainer as the No. 1 selection. With the Nets, Favors has shown tremendous promise as a rebounder and scorer in the paint and would have gotten plenty of minutes in Philly's rotation.

Which looks like a better foundation to build on: Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner as a backcourt duo or Holiday and Favors as a pick-and-roll combo? Holiday and Favors are two of the youngest players in the league, and both possess a demeanor that suggests they are very serious pros.

Cousins

Pick No. 3: DeMarcus Cousins to the Nets
New Jersey would be a perfect spot for Cousins, if Favors weren't available. Tough-minded coach with lots of credibility. A culture of rules and discipline (see Terrence Williams and the D-League). And a franchise center already in place. There wouldn't be any gargantuan banners of him hanging off buildings, as we've seen in Sacramento. And my guess is that in Jersey, we would have seen a slimmer Cousins, who'd have had to work each day just to survive matchups with Brook Lopez and Avery Johnson's expectations.

Aminu

Pick No. 4: Al-Farouq Aminu to the Timberwolves
Who knew Aminu would make more than half of his 45 3-pointers in his first 20 games as a pro? And at just 20 years of age (a full three years younger than Wes Johnson), his upside is huge. He would have been a great fit on the Wolves, an improving team that could really use perimeter shooting.

With the way Kevin Love rebounds, the Wolves would have been able to play Aminu some at the 4 with little fear of getting killed on the glass (before he builds enough strength to hold his own). Eventually, Aminu should be able to learn to do some real damage from that spot.

Bledsoe

Pick No. 5: Eric Bledsoe to the Kings
Sacramento has the second-worst record in the league for the year 2010, with just 15 wins since Jan. 1, never winning more than four games in a month. The Kings epitomize rebuilding, a mode they've been in for years. (They got good value with Cousins, but in this exercise, he's off the board.)

Now it looks as though the team realizes that the reigning rookie of the year, Tyreke Evans, is better off playing next to a true point guard. And Bledsoe has shown the ability to play that part well this season in his stints as a starter with the Clippers. With his explosive athleticism, he would have given the Kings a very young, very interesting backcourt going forward.

Sanders

Pick No. 6: Larry Sanders to the Warriors
An athletic big man has been a need in Golden State for a while, and Sanders would have fit the bill beautifully. He especially would have been an upgrade on defense, as scoring is a luxury that this team does not necessarily need.

His eight blocked shots in Denver gave us a glimpse of the paint presence he can be. And he could have developed nicely next to David Lee.

Davis

Pick No. 7: Ed Davis to the Pistons
He's been back for only a few games this season, but based on what he did in summer league and this past week, Davis would have been able to become a high productivity guy in Detroit.

He's a better rebounder than he seems and he's a finisher who knows how to get off good shots. Detroit would be a better interior team with Davis.

Fields

Pick No. 8: Landry Fields to the Clippers
If Aminu hadn't been available, Fields would have been a fantastic left-field pick. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what position Landry Fields is best suited for in the NBA, but it's easy to say he's an excellent wing player who would have fit beautifully next to Eric Gordon.

Fields is one of the top rebounders of this class, and his feel for the game also would work well with a beastly scorer like Blake Griffin, who demands extra attention from defenders. Fields can slash and pass -- both necessities when dealing with rotating defenses -- and his shot looks like it will be solid, too.

Johnson

Pick No. 9: Wes Johnson to the Jazz
For an offense that loves to invert its players, wings who can post up thrive (point guards, too). Johnson has a penchant for jacking up jumpers, which is not good, but in Utah he would have been forced to spend lots of time in the paint, which would be good. Given his athleticism, think Ronnie Brewer with a better jumper.

Johnson's maturity would have helped him blend in well with the atmosphere in Utah, and his temperament would have helped him deal with Jerry Sloan's rough side. This is perhaps my favorite fit of the top 10.

Henry

Pick No. 10: Xavier Henry to the Pacers
Wanted: A multitalented guard with a predisposition to defend. Also must have a high ceiling to grow with this up-and-coming team. Xavier Henry, come on down!

Impressively, Henry is currently finding ways in Memphis to contribute beyond his shooting stroke, which was considered his strength this summer but is not there yet. He takes pride in his defense and plays with a nice tempo, similar to James Harden as a rookie. He can become an excellent shooter and has the look of a player who will learn to hurt defenders in the post.

vnzla81
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Chad Ford is also David Morway's boyfriend. :-p

He said that before he was drafted, he repeated this many times, I don't think he knew that the pacers were going to get him.

Merz
02-03-2011, 11:46 PM
ESPN wrote a draft redo article earlier this year.

looks like they did their redraft a little two early, as George and Monroe would definitely be in it.

redfoster
02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
2 things just thinking about...

The draft is all about potential, halfway through the first year is still a short time to judge that... saying that I think some people are putting Turner way too low....

That is a no for me. I think George is going to be our centerpiece for the next decade.