PDA

View Full Version : Vogelís rise has local community beaming with pride

gummy
02-03-2011, 03:16 PM
It's your standard feel good piece but there's a bit of background on the man in here.

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/index.php/sports/99-cape-may-county/8222-vogels-rise-has-local-community-beaming-with-pride.html

Excerpt:

Mike Emory, another of Vogel’s high school teammates and himself a career 1,000-point scorer at Wildwood, recently visited Vogel in Indianapolis, before he was named head coach.

“I was out there about six weeks ago to hang with him and he had a game at 7:30 one night and he left the house at 6:30 a.m. that morning and didn’t come home until after the game,” Emory said. “That’s dedication. The time he’s put into this is incredible.

“I think of all the coaches sitting on the sidelines right now saying, ‘How’d they hire him instead of me?’ A lot of guys got passed up in order for him to get a shot. I think that’s a real testament to him.”

Emory recalled Vogel’s dedication to the game and to his fellow players when the two were teammates with the Warriors.

“He would motivate people all the time,” Emory said. “He was the one getting all of us out of bed to get to the courts to shoot and play. I remember being in the car with my mom one day and he was dribbling the ball down the street at full speed in the pouring rain. And I just shook my head watching him.

“More than anything, he’s a good guy and a good guy to be around, a real positive guy. There isn’t a bad bone in his body and he deserves everything he gets.”

pizza guy
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Vogel’s high school coach, Joe Bimbo

No wonder he was alright working with JOB...he's dealt with Bimbo's before. :laugh:

Good story though. It's always nice to see a relative nobody do well in a league that's all about being somebody. I hope he continues to impress us, and gets a fair shake at being our head coach next year.

Evan_The_Dude
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
This coaching change sort of reminds me of the Mora to Dungy transition in terms of personality change at the position.

LoneGranger33
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
It's no surprise he's a New Jersey kid.

kester99
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM

I know....that suit, right?

Pacers#1Fan
02-04-2011, 03:41 AM

My first thought when I saw an interview with him was, 'hmm... he kinda sounds like a guido.'

I'm more than happy with the change though. Thus far he's running the team the way it should have been ran all season.