PDA

View Full Version : [OT] PC Probs

Shade
02-06-2004, 04:57 PM
I was online this morning when all of a sudden, all of my windows closed and my PC shut itself down. When I restarted, it took forever for everything to start back up. I also noticed that there was a search window added to my browser (like you get if you click on one of those stupid "set this as my home page" pop-up buttons. Since then, my PC runs super slow upon startup.

I ran a virus scan and cleaned out all my spyware, but nothing seems to fix it. Any ideas?

Eindar
02-06-2004, 05:17 PM
When in doubt, format c:\ is your friend.

Anthem
02-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Sounds odd, Shade. Coupla questions.

First, is there any chance it could be a heating issue? Did you build the PC yourself? Is it new or old? Are you up-to-date w/ Windows Update? BTW, what OS?

There's some things to try before going with Eindar's solution. First, back up all of your important files. Then, run any disksaver programs you have (scandisk, defrag, etc). Once those two things are done, run "msconfig" and see if there's anything there that looks like it doesn't belong (if in doubt, leave it). Finally, restart in "Safe" mode and "Selective Startup" mode.

Shade
02-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Sounds odd, Shade. Coupla questions.

First, is there any chance it could be a heating issue? Did you build the PC yourself? Is it new or old? Are you up-to-date w/ Windows Update? BTW, what OS?

There's some things to try before going with Eindar's solution. First, back up all of your important files. Then, run any disksaver programs you have (scandisk, defrag, etc). Once those two things are done, run "msconfig" and see if there's anything there that looks like it doesn't belong (if in doubt, leave it). Finally, restart in "Safe" mode and "Selective Startup" mode.

I don't think it's a heating issue. It's a pretty new PC (just a few months old), a Sony Vaio. It's up-to-date, XP.

I'll try out scandisk and then defrag the drive.

Ragnar
02-06-2004, 06:35 PM

:rotflmao: Its a good thing he cant find out where you live if he were to actually do that

Mourning
02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Kill C:\ always helps out with me too!!! :signit: :angel:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Eindar
02-06-2004, 07:13 PM

:rotflmao: Its a good thing he cant find out where you live if he were to actually do that

My bad, I forgot that most people don't build their own systems or keep backups of all the programs they want to keep, nor do they have a 2nd hard drive to put anything they want to keep on.