PDA

View Full Version : Artest asks for a trade

90'sNBARocked
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
just saw on ESPN that Ron Artest has asked Lakers to trade him

wow, it will be fun to see Lakers deal with that the way we had too

k_lewis93
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Haha I hope their whole team gets blown up and they suck.

90'sNBARocked
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
yeah but now we can see of Phil is "zen like"

pacer4ever
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Lakers' Ron Artest hopes for tradeEmail Print Comments626 By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty Images
True Hollywood story: Being traded from the L.A. Lakers would be a dream come true for Ron Artest.

GM Mitch Kupchak, coach Phil Jackson and LA icon Magic Johnson just did what franchise pillars of their stature rarely do -- something Lakers officials never do, really -- by announcing to the world that the teetering two-time champs might need to make a trade.

Why?

Simple.

The Lakers have been so uncharacteristically public about the potential benefits of an injection of new blood because they know, with a league-high $90.4 million payroll and such limited trade assets, that threatening this locker room with a shakeup move is a far simpler gamble to execute than shaking things up with an actual deal before the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

However ...

I'm told that there's at least one prominent Laker who hopes he's the guy who gets shipped out in the next 20-odd days.

One source close to the situation insists that Ron Artest wants out.

Asked to react to that, Artest's agent David Bauman declined comment.

This is where I'm obligated to remind you that no one in the NBA can change his mind faster than the famously fickle Ron-Ron. Another pertinent disclaimer: Artest's play has been sufficiently sluggish in the second season of a five-year deal that whatever he wants is bound to be greeted by shrugs and scoffs, no matter how much he gave the Lakers in the epic final game of last season.

I've nonetheless been assured this week that Artest -- though he hasn't outright demanded a trade and is likely to publicly deny it -- is serious about wanting to be dealt somewhere "he can have fun again" less than a year removed from the pivotal role he played in that ring-clinching Game 7 with Boston that the Lakers so nearly squandered.

[+] EnlargeChristian Petersen/Getty Images
Artest's questioning his fit on the Lakers these days.

This much I can say about the source: It's not Artest's provocatively tweet-happy brother Daniel.

Yet many of the same complaints Daniel Artest revealed Tuesday via his Twitter feed were cited as reasons that Artest, leading into Tuesday night's home win over Houston in which he logged just 5.5 seconds of playing time in the fourth quarter and overtime, is hoping for a new address. He might have rewritten the way he'll be remembered when he retires by proving so remarkably reliable in the biggest game of his life -- while Kobe Bryant was shooting 6-for-24 in a Game 7 at home -- but the honeymoon sure sounds over.

Artest's two main beefs?

1. He's weary of being scapegoated for the team's struggles and feels that he's destined to always absorb the bulk of the blame no matter what happens because Jackson and Bryant are so dependent on the more glamorous contributions of Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and will never publicly go after regal Laker lifer Derek Fisher.

2. As we heard at various points during his stops in Indiana, Sacramento and Houston, Artest is eventually going to squawk if he's being marginalized in the offense, which inevitably disengages him from his defensive responsibilities. (Relegated "to the corner shot" is the way Daniel Artest described it -- except that he said "regulated" and surely meant "relegated.")

It was stressed to me that Artest has actually coexisted better with Jackson since it emerged in December that Artest asked his coach to stop criticizing him so publicly and keep displeasure in-house. Despite Artest's increasingly regular stints on the bench in crunch time, I get the distinct vibe that settling for offensive scraps in the shadow of Kobe and Pau while absorbing the hottest heat on afternoons like Sunday when Paul Pierce erupts for 32 points has soured Artest far more than Jackson's frequently sharp tongue.

The reality, of course, is that Artest is not very tradable no matter how much he'd like to be relocated. Not with the way he's producing and moving.

The Lakers want to believe focus has been Artest's bigger problem as opposed to advancing age. They cling to the hope that he can still deliver physicality and reliability when the game slows down in the postseason and between-games rest can refuel Artest and others, too.

Yet it seems safe to suggest that the 31-year-old, producing career-low numbers almost everywhere you look on the stat sheet, has given prospective suitors fresh reason -- piled onto the old baggage that dissuades teams that don't have the Lakers' conviction or a Jackson to manage the situation -- to balk at taking on a contract that still has three years and nearly $22 million remaining after this season. Especially in this climate of widespread fear about how restrictive the league's next labor pact will be.

None of that, though, has convinced Artest to back off. Not yet, anyway.

Dare I say he's been fined too many times to get sucked into publicly asking out -- which is obviously a legit dare in this case -- but I continue to hear that this is more than mere venting and that a trade is what Artest is rooting for.

Which means the Lakers have 22 days to somehow find a destination for him ... or 73 days before the start of the playoffs to diffuse the biggest Artest crisis they've faced so far and get him plugged back in after essentially trading away Trevor Ariza to get him.http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Artest-110202

BringJackBack
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Ron Artest is an idiot. Is he seriously going to pass up an opportunity for a championship?

He'll regret his decision in the future.

k_lewis93
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Ron Artest is an idiot. Is he seriously going to pass up an opportunity for a championship?

This

Dr. Awesome
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Doubt it.

I think Ron Artest is the type of guy who would rather earn something than have it handed to him. He may feel as if he was handed the ring by being on that Lakers team. Sure he was a key part of the team, but maybe he'd rather be one of the more important pieces(which I doubt he can do at this point in his career), but that would be my guess.

cdash
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Doubt it.

I think Ron Artest is the type of guy who would rather earn something than have it handed to him. He may feel as if he was handed the ring by being on that Lakers team. Sure he was a key part of the team, but maybe he'd rather be one of the more important pieces(which I doubt he can do at this point in his career), but that would be my guess.

Or maybe he's just a ****ing moron with alarming mental problems that is extremely fickle?

90'sNBARocked
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Or maybe he's just a ****ing moron with alarming mental problems that is extremely fickle?

but he went to IU?

playin around he went to St Johns of course

Ron to me, is like liver

no one says "liver is ok", they hate it or love it

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Can't wait to see the Lakers pull off a ridiculously good trade... You know its going to happen. Hey Memphis, I think LA would like Rudy Gay. But to keep Ron happy you must get an In N Out Burger.

Robertmto
02-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Do you seriously think LA has a chance at a championship?

BringJackBack
02-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Of course. They're still top four in the league in W/L, and just like Boston did last year, any of those teams can cash in at the right opportunity.

Every team goes through slumps, and in the end Kobe is Kobe whether he's lost a step or not.

cdash
02-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Of course. They're still top four in the league in W/L, and just like Boston did last year, any of those teams can cash in at the right opportunity.

Every team goes through slumps, and in the end Kobe is Kobe whether he's lost a step or not.

Not to mention, they've won the last two with largely the same group of players.

Robertmto
02-02-2011, 04:05 PM

i just don't see it this year..

BringJackBack
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Same thing was said of Boston last year. We'll certainly see how this all plays out.

k_lewis93
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
i just don't see it this year..

I agree I think they will lose in 2nd or 3rd round in playoffs.

xIndyFan
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
LA has a real problem. ron is the only guy they have that can guard paul pierce by himself. plus ron not only guards PP, but basically shuts him down. without ron, the laker chances for winning depend on orlando or miami knocking boston out of the playoffs for them. because LA has no chance of doing that on their own.

it is funny to see ron ron is still ron ron. LA is discovering the same thing that indy and houston found out. the only chance a team has to keep ron engaged is to feature him on offense. and the only offense ron can run is the ron ron centered offense. you know the old pacer offense. watching ron wander his way thru the triangle is worth the price of a ticket. :rotflmao:

k_lewis93
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
LA has a real problem. ron is the only guy they have that can guard paul pierce by himself. plus ron not only guards PP, but basically shuts him down. without ron, the laker chances for winning depend on orlando or miami knocking boston out of the playoffs for them. because LA has no chance of doing that on their own.

it is funny to see ron ron is still ron ron. LA is discovering the same thing that indy and houston found out. the only chance a team has to keep ron engaged is to feature him on offense. and the only offense ron can run is the ron ron centered offense. you know the old pacer offense. watching ron wander his way thru the triangle is worth the price of a ticket. :rotflmao:

Yeah ron is like josh smith. They don't know when to stop shooting the ball whenever everyone knows they can't shoot. :laugh:

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Artest did a great job guarding PP on Sunday. I mean Paul only had 32 points and shot 11 for 18.

LA will be fine without Ron. I think their offense will run better without Ron.

I Love P
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
When the going gets tough...Artest quits. Send his a$s to Canada.

Shade
02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Some things never change.

31andonly
02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
:haha:

pizza guy
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4qdday5

just sayin'

Shade
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4qdday5

just sayin'

:banned:

Just sayin'.

pizza guy
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
:banned:

Just sayin'.

:laugh:

someone had to do it, right?

LA_Confidential
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Can't wait to see the Lakers pull off a ridiculously good trade... You know its going to happen. Hey Memphis, I think LA would like Rudy Gay. But to keep Ron happy you must get an In N Out Burger.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=632zj3l

Maybe?

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I think they can do better than that.

LA_Confidential
02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I think they can do better than that.

Who, the Grizzlies?

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Who, the Grizzlies?

No the Lakers.

LA_Confidential
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
No the Lakers.

I doubt it but if you say so.

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Well considering Ratliff is better than Thabeet and Artest is better than Tony Allen, I definitely think they can do better than that. Allen is a back up 2 guard, Ron Artest is a starter in this league.

spazzxb
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
just saw on ESPN that Ron Artest has asked Lakers to trade him

wow, it will be fun to see Lakers deal with that the way we had too

I wonder if he has changed his mind yet?

CableKC
02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes, of course they do. Just because they are playing like crap now doesn't mean that they will do what they always do every season....wear down the opposing Team during the playoffs.

I'm not saying that they will glide to the finals....but they are one of the top Teams in the league that likely will. Outside of the Spurs...I don't really see any Team that can put up any real competition in the West.

CableKC
02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I wonder if he has changed his mind yet?
I'm going to guess that Kobe and the ZenMaster will talk him off his ledge.

Sollozzo
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Haha I hope their whole team gets blown up and they suck.

The Lakers have Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum. Who cares about Artest. They went from Ariza to Artest and will move from Artest to someone else and be fine....

BringJackBack
02-02-2011, 06:38 PM
It would be ironic if they moved Artest for Ariza.

spazzxb
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm going to guess that Kobe and the ZenMaster will talk him off his ledge.

Me two, then they can blow this off as Ron being Ron team dynamic wise as long as he changes his mind(whch is likely with him).

Hoop
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Give him a few weeks, he'll be ready to retire from basketball and become a fireman, or a cowboy or ..........

xBulletproof
02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Kobe and Phil just need to throw down some money to get an In and Out Burger in LA.

New source of income, and Ron's happy. Problem solved.

Aw Heck
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
With the way the Lakers turn ***** into gold, I wouldn't be surprised if they get a great player back for him.

Where's Chris Wallace these days? Memphis? *****, it looks like LA is getting Rudy Gay for Artest.

CableKC
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
My guess is that he'll play out the rest of the season in LaLaLand and then Walsh will make a move for him to play in New York even if they get Melo. Walsh is all about getting good value for his Players. IMHO.....he could care less about Artest's past and cares more about adding cheap talent at a reasonable monetary cost.

That...or he'll go to the Nets so that he can eventually play in Brooklyn ( maybe Travis Outlaw for Artest ? ).

One way or another...he'll end up in the state of New York.

Young
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought the Lakers were stupid to choose to sign Artest over Trevor Ariza and this is EXACTLY why. I don't feel bad for them at all. I'm just glad Ron is not the Pacers problem anymore.

dal9
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
not to burst ya'll bubble, but the article doesnt actually say he asked for a trade...

dal9
02-02-2011, 07:10 PM
no one says "liver is ok", they hate it or love it

you know, i kinda think liver is OK...wouldn't eat it everyday, but if it is prepared well, it is decent...