PDA

View Full Version : 8-3 over the next 11?!?

Midcoasted
02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Here's to hoping! @cleveland, Portland, @New Jersey, @Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, @Milwaukee, vs Miami, @Detroit, @Washington, Detroit.

I think it is feasible. Let's beat the teams we should beat, (Cleveland, New Jersey, Charlotte, and Detroit twice) beat one of thetwo teams we could beat (Minnesota, Milwaukee) and at least 1 team we could play an amazing game and beat (Portland or Miami twice), and we could do it!

I'm hoping our players really can prove everyone wrong, and make a statement that they weren't really the problem, they aren't totally lacking in talent, they just had a coach that had lost them, and lost faith in them. That would make us 26-32. That would mean we would be only 6 games under our win total from last year with 24 games left. I think that would make us 7th in the East with a 3 game lead over 8th, and 5 game lead over 9th, 10th, and 11th with a real shot to make the playoffs.

I hope everyone that can make it is screaming their ***es off Friday against Portland, because if we handle the Cavs like we should, then we could be on a 3 game streak and that would be a good start to get to 8-3 over the next 11.

PacerPenguins
02-01-2011, 09:59 PM
if we go 10-1, which i can see us doing, then well be .500

Aw Heck
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
8-3 is about as realistically optimistic you can get. It's possible, but not likely.

I don't think any game is a given. As bad as Cleveland has been playing and the longer their losing streak continues, the harder it's going to be to keep them down.

I see us going closer to .500. Either 5-6 or 6-5.

Midcoasted
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
8-3 is about as realistically optimistic you can get. It's possible, but not likely.

I don't think any game is a given. As bad as Cleveland has been playing and the longer their losing streak continues, the harder it's going to be to keep them down.

I'll meet you half way at 7-4 and that should still put us in 7th with 24 games left. :D

smj887
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I feel like 7-4 or 8-3 is pretty reasonable. The last west coast trip I thought we should have won 3 of the 4, and we saw the team lead by double figures in each before JOB's incessant tinkering/inability to adjust to the game or a lack of offensive movement killed the team.

Hopefully, under Vogel, we see more normal rotations (last night was a good start) and more movement on offense as players don't have to struggle as much to fit the system. If the rotations are normal and the player who's hot that night stays in the game, and the players play a bit more uncaged (although that can certainly backfire), I see no reason the team doesn't win a minimum of 6 of the next 11.

SMosley21
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking 7-4 at worst, or else we may as well just pack it in for the season. If we can manage to win 7 of THESE next 11 games, then we don't deserve a playoff spot anyway.

Midcoasted
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
3-0 so far!!! Let's go boys! Smash the Nets and leave the Heat baffled!!! The 5 game win streak part 2, only this time we extend it even father! Let's go on a 10 game winner!!! BOOM BABY!!! KOOL-AID TIME!!!:dance::happydanc:buddies:

Midcoasted
02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I feel like 7-4 or 8-3 is pretty reasonable. The last west coast trip I thought we should have won 3 of the 4, and we saw the team lead by double figures in each before JOB's incessant tinkering/inability to adjust to the game or a lack of offensive movement killed the team.

Hopefully, under Vogel, we see more normal rotations (last night was a good start) and more movement on offense as players don't have to struggle as much to fit the system. If the rotations are normal and the player who's hot that night stays in the game, and the players play a bit more uncaged (although that can certainly backfire), I see no reason the team doesn't win a minimum of 6 of the next 11.

The rotations have been SOLID! VOGEL is the MAN. I know it is early, but when people were saying we may have to lock up Vogel long term, they were right! I'll take my kool-aid orange please!!!

If Vogel was the coach for the west coast trip we would have probably won 2 of the four at least. I think.

pizza guy
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
8-3 is certainly possible. Somewhere in there, we'll have a letdown game, I think, so I'm going with 7-4. But even at that, it's a huge improvement over the rest of this season.

If they do go 8-3, or even better, we're really going to have to question how many games earlier this year we would have won had O'Brien been gone sooner. I think we'd be over .500 with any other coach. It sounds dicey to say, but it's not unreasonable.

I see wins against @cleveland, Portland, @New Jersey, Charlotte, @Milwaukee, @Detroit, @Washington, Detroit. I think we'll give Miami a real run for their money, though they're playing much better than they were when we beat them. And I could see a letdown in one of those 3 road games (MIL, DET, WASH).

Eleazar
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Am I the only one who expects this team to beat the Heat? I don't believe for one second that this team beat the Heat before because the Heat were playing bad, but because this team, when playing to their potential, is just better than the Heat?

smj887
02-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Am I the only one who expects this team to beat the Heat? I don't believe for one second that this team beat the Heat before because the Heat were playing bad, but because this team, when playing to their potential, is just better than the Heat?

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/31/kool_aid_2.gif

PacerPenguins
02-05-2011, 03:22 PM

ok were not better than the heat but i think we can beat them

PacersPride
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM

who is going to start on Dwade.. ? Dunleavy.. that could be a mismatch to put it mildly.

i think tyler and josh will beat the snot out of bosh, he doesnt like physical contact.

w/o rush we do not have a legit sg to lock down Dwade. were gonna find out how good PG24 is defensively on a pure SG in this game. PG24 is 6'9 and will have to gaurd Wade, i look forward to that matchup.

BringJackBack
02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Isn't Rush supposed to be back by Tuesday?

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM

:bs::wtf2:

Pacers4Life
02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
I honestly haven't given Detroit one ounce of thought all year. How have we not played them yet?

Anyways, both of our upcoming games with them are on the night of a back-to-back, only their second one with us is one for them. That 2nd meeting on the 23rd SHOULD be a W.

What I'm looking at most closely now though is the stretch AFTER the Heat game on Tuesday. Barring an epic letdown to the Nets, this train should be chugging along nicely into Miami. Win or Lose, its the game AFTER the Heat thats huge.

2nd game in 2 days.. just played the Heat.. can we get UP and make sure we BEAT a Charlotte team (on 2/9/2011) that if we are who we think we are, we need to. (dont let this take away from my hypothetical scenario im laying out, but i think we'll be 5-1 through this part)

*Day of rest*

2/11 vs. Minnesota & 2/12 @Milwaukee (back-to-back)
I didn't realize Minnesota was so bad record-wise.. for some reason I have them much more formidable in my mind. Hopefully we can keep K-Love in check, keep our mind on this game rather than next, and get away with a W. Regardless yet again, a HUGE game the next night that we have to be ready for.
(Again, I'm thinking W's dudes.. somebody stop me)

Oh yea, then we get Miami at home 3 days later...

The measuring stick is out on Coach Vogel. I think after this upcoming stretch of games.. which in the grand scheme of things arent very many (i know), I think we'll have an EXCELLENT idea of who we're going to be the rest of the year.. barring any changes in personnel (which I don't think will happen.)

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 04:52 PM

I think your the only one. The Heat were playing their worst ball when we played them. It was after the game against the Pacers where the Heat turned it up and haven't looked back (when healthy, which they are now). We don't have one player at LeBron or Wades level. Granger and Bosh are pretty close. But there is a huge talent gap. Wade will probably go off against us. And they want revenge after that first match up.

Pacersalltheway10
02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
:bs::wtf2:

^^^^ :bs: :notamused:

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 05:32 PM
^^^^ :bs: :notamused:

u are high if u think we are better than the Heat

dgranger17
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm right there with ya buddy. We're 15 deep. They aren't even 5 deep. It hurts that we probably won't have Rush, but George Dahntay and Danny can help contain Le***** and Wade.

I love Larry... and Kool-Aid... 55-27

daschysta
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
oh god, whats happening?!?!

Pacersalltheway10
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
u are high if u think we are better than the Heat

Heck yeah we are . all it takes is for wade or lebron to sprain their ankle and theyre right back in the dumps. We have as much talent as the heat has but we have it spread over 10 players. Really the only thing holding us back was inexperience and JOB early on but that's all changed.

Also where is the ignore button at?

clownskull
02-05-2011, 06:06 PM
considering the addition by subtraction of O'Brien, this changes the outlook of this team. i admire the optimism of those who feel we can go 10-1 over these 11 games. however, i believe there is no way we beat all but one of those opponents in that stretch. i don't see us beating miami once let alone twice in this stretch. they are playing much better than that 1st time we played them.
under O'Brien, i firmly believe this season was a total loss and bird had to realize it too. i suspect from hearing several players in locker room interviews that if a team vote on whether they wanted him to stay as opposed to what they have going on now, O'Brien would lose that vote badly. gone is O'Brien's system and his group of core rotation players. early in the season, tyler would rarely play and some nights, not even a minute. then, tyler goes from a virtual mascot to a starter (i don't believe that was obie's idea to play let alone start tyler)

from then on, josh had taken tyler's spot on the bench and started racking up his share of dnp-cd's. obie was not going to stop with the stretch4 no matter how badly it was failing. i believe obie simply doesn't like more traditional pf's and if it were up to him, he would have gladly traded tyler and josh into murphy so he could one of his style of players run his system again.

the team is breaking away from that and it opens up different possibilities that were not going to happen under obie. but it would be great if they can do a 8-3 or even 7-4. i hope they can do it.

DemonHunter1105
02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't be happy, but I could accept if we went .500 over the stretch just because we are young and play some of the weak teams at their place which should favor them. And it is sad to say this but .500 ball over any stretch is still improvement when you look at our overall record.

But might as well drink the Kool-Aid while it's fresh. Here is to hoping for only one loss (against the Heat) :buddies:

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm right there with ya buddy. We're 15 deep. They aren't even 5 deep. It hurts that we probably won't have Rush, but George Dahntay and Danny can help contain Le***** and Wade.

Even if one of the three goes down they will still probably beat us. LeBron and Wade are at a level no one on our team is near. Granger is close to Bosh, but no one else is near him.

I fear Eddie House may have a big night against us. He is shooting 45% from three this year and after Rudy had a good game against us, I see House doing the same thing. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he hits 5 threes against us.

I don't see Wade repeating his 1-13 shooting night again, especially with no Rush.

Let's be realistic here.

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Heck yeah we are . all it takes is for wade or lebron to sprain their ankle and theyre right back in the dumps. We have as much talent as the heat has but we have it spread over 10 players. Really the only thing holding us back was inexperience and JOB early on but that's all changed.

Also where is the ignore button at?

:eek::picard:

Eleazar
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Miami has and is still playing how I expect them to play. Wade's and LeBron's talent level is too much for the majority of bad to average teams to even compete with. When they play against the better teams they lose, not all of them but most. While there was a stretch of games when they were playing much better there was another stretch afterwards where they lost 5 of 6, worse than how they started. How they played at the beginning of the season had little to do with how well they played, but who they played. They were losing to the good teams and beating the bad teams, and Orlando.

This team might not have any individuals as good as Wade or LeBron, but beyond those two we have better talent at every single position. Don't kid yourself Bosh is not at the same level as Granger. If you want to talk about overrated players he is number one on that list. I would take both McRoberts and Hansbrough over him every single day no matter who is on my team. As well when it comes to match-ups other than Boston and the Lakers there probably isn't a team that matches up better than the Pacers.

When Granger is on his game he can match LeBron in scoring, and at least contain him. Add to that Granger always seems to step up his game to a whole different level when playing LeBron you have to ask how good would Granger be if he always played like that.

Rush is a great defender who can keep Wade in check and prevent him from going wild.

Hansbrough is Bosh's worst nightmare. Bosh is one of the softest starting PF's in the game, if not the softest.

Everywhere else we have a clear advantage.

While having Wade and LeBron can be intimidating it doesn't mean they are an elite team. Yes, if you can't keep them in check they will be tough to beat, but I would not take them in a 7 game series against a playoff worthy team. I say playoff worthy because like it has been for the past 10 years typically the last couple of teams to make the playoffs in the East have not been playoff worthy teams.

With all of that said I would like to emphasize the words, "when playing to their potential". I said this because this team hasn't always played to the level that they are capable of. Part of that had to do with JOB, but also part of that had to do with the players. This is the reason this team doesn't have a winning record, and isn't challenging the Bulls for the division title. If this team plays to their potential they can beat anyone on any given day, and they should beat a team like the Heat who aren't built as a team. A good TEAM will always beat the Heat more times than they lose. That is what Bird has been building a good team. We don't have a top heavy team with a couple of great players with mediocre talent everywhere else, we have a group of players that is solid at every position.

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM

15 deep lol the only team that is 15 deep is USA basketball in international play. I mean even Kevin Love and Danny Granger got PT and they were the 11th and 12th man

Slick Pinkham
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
...this team, when playing to their potential, is just better than the Heat

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rs53-MPsJaI/R6UjmF0BG7I/AAAAAAAAE_U/sqZpIyWcOgE/s400/Shocked_Kidz_at_pc_sm.jpg

Eleazar
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
considering the addition by subtraction of O'Brien, this changes the outlook of this team. i admire the optimism of those who feel we can go 10-1 over these 11 games. however, i believe there is no way we beat all but one of those opponents in that stretch. i don't see us beating miami once let alone twice in this stretch. they are playing much better than that 1st time we played them.

the team is breaking away from that and it opens up different possibilities that were not going to happen under obie. but it would be great if they can do a 8-3 or even 7-4. i hope they can do it.

I agree 10-1 is a stretch, but to say we can't beat Miami once is ridiculous. Yes Miami went on a nice run when they were playing some pretty average to bad teams, but when they played 5 pretty good teams out of 6 (with Toronto being the only bad team) they lost 5 and only beat Toronto. If you look at who they were playing at the beginning of the season their record really matches up with how they have fared against similar competition the rest of the season. Beating average teams, but losing the majority of their games against good teams. Just because their schedule got easier doesn't mean they are playing better, it just means their schedule got easier.

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I agree 10-1 is a stretch, but to say we can't beat Miami once is ridiculous. Yes Miami went on a nice run when they were playing some pretty average to bad teams, but when they played 5 pretty good teams out of 6 (with Toronto being the only bad team) they lost 5 and only beat Toronto. If you look at who they were playing at the beginning of the season their record really matches up with how they have fared against similar competition the rest of the season. Beating average teams, but losing the majority of their games against good teams. Just because their schedule got easier doesn't mean they are playing better, it just means their schedule got easier.

No one said we cant beat Miami but no way in hell we are better than Miami like u said we are.

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
If Bosh is overrated then so is Granger. What has Danny done that Bosh hasn't? While in Toronto their careers were very similar, both on bad teams which inflates both their stats a bit.

Rush played Wade well this year, but last year Wade averaged over 30ppg against us. And yes Miami is an elite team. They have two of the top three players in the whole league. Both those guys make everyone around them so much better. Look at how Cleveland goes from 60 wins to being one of the worst teams in NBA history just because LeBron left. Don't look at who is on their roster, look at the results. They have an advantage at SG, SF, and PF. I don't care how soft Bosh is. He is better than McBob and Hans. Don't kid yourself. Why does he get invited to team USA if he is so bad?

Keeping Wade and LeBron in check is much easier said than done. And if a good team will always beat the Heat more than they will lose why do the Heat have such a good record? The Heat have played top teams very well. They beat Orlando and destroyed the Lakers. Their bad losses came against us and Denver recently where LeBron didn't play. All their other losses have been close. And for a team that has played 50 games together that isn't bad at all.

If we play our best and they play their worst, then yeah we should win. But chances are Miami is gonna be playing pretty damn well as they just beat Orlando and OKC. They dominated a Cleveland team we barely beat.

All I am saying is that if you expect the Pacers to beat the Heat you are going to be disappointed. They are way more talented then us just because of how good LeBron, Wade and Bosh are.

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Oh your talking about that 6 game stretch where LeBron missed two games, Bosh missed two games and Wade missed a game?

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh your talking about that 6 game stretch where LeBron missed two games, Bosh missed two games and Wade missed a game?

That would be the stretch yes

dgranger17
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I can't wait to lose in Miami so you guys can say "I told you so." I'll keep my fingers crossed. The experts here at pacersdigest have weighed in and their opinion is fact. Keep up the good work everybody.

I hope we can squeak by the Nets first though. Could be tricky. Harris, Favors, and Lopez are much better than our Collison, McRoberts, and Hibbert but I think if we can keep it close it will be a great game.

Can we win the lottery?

ilive4sports
02-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I can't wait to lose in Miami so you guys can say "I told you so." I'll keep my fingers crossed. The experts here at pacersdigest have weighed in and their opinion is fact. Keep up the good work everybody.

I hope we can squeak by the Nets first though. Could be tricky. Harris, Favors, and Lopez are much better than our Collison, McRoberts, and Hibbert but I think if we can keep it close it will be a great game.

Can we win the lottery?

Its about being realistic. Asking this team to beat Miami again is just too much. Its asking for a let down. I didn't expect to beat Portland last night, but we played a great ball game and won easily. I don't care about wins or losses right now. I care about how we play in wins and losses. I want to see solid rotations and passion from the players. If we lose so be it. If we win thats great. But let's be realistic here, beating Miami is a long shot and there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

IndyProdigy
02-06-2011, 06:33 AM
to have ANY shot at the Heat, Hibbert needs to go off in about every single category. as well as collison. those are they guys that have the advantages on both ends of the floor. hopefully the others will limit the gains of the big 3 so that the meat of the production will come from collison and hibbert.

pacers74
02-06-2011, 07:41 AM
This thread is pretty funny. I looked at the schedule and thought the same thing. I didn't want to post anything about it, because everytime I get a liitle excited for this team they let me down. Hopefully with a new coach they are motivated and won't let any of us down.

I really want us to get back to .500, but I don't think that is feasable. I am one of those people who think if you can't win at least half of your game you don't have any buisness being in the playoffs.

Shade
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
5-4 in the next 9 games. 6-3 if we're fortunate. 0-2 vs. Miami.

Midcoasted
02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Shade, I know it has been hard these years since the brawl, it has been on us all, but have a little kooil aid on me!!!

4-0 under Vogel!!! 11-0 on this stretch and we dominate Miami twice and LeBron cries! :laugh::buddies::dance:

Words can't describe my joy right now!

Really I don't actually believe it but if it did happen I think I might get kool-aid poisoning.

Shade
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Here's to hoping! @cleveland, Portland, @New Jersey, @Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, @Milwaukee, vs Miami, @Detroit, @Washington, Detroit.

I think it is feasible. Let's beat the teams we should beat, (Cleveland, New Jersey, Charlotte, and Detroit twice) beat one of thetwo teams we could beat (Minnesota, Milwaukee) and at least 1 team we could play an amazing game and beat (Portland or Miami twice), and we could do it!

I'm hoping our players really can prove everyone wrong, and make a statement that they weren't really the problem, they aren't totally lacking in talent, they just had a coach that had lost them, and lost faith in them. That would make us 26-32. That would mean we would be only 6 games under our win total from last year with 24 games left. I think that would make us 7th in the East with a 3 game lead over 8th, and 5 game lead over 9th, 10th, and 11th with a real shot to make the playoffs.

I hope everyone that can make it is screaming their ***es off Friday against Portland, because if we handle the Cavs like we should, then we could be on a 3 game streak and that would be a good start to get to 8-3 over the next 11.

Good call.

Shade
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
5-4 in the next 9 games. 6-3 if we're fortunate. 0-2 vs. Miami.

I was pretty much spot-on, as well. We went 6-3, with the "fortunate" win being against Charlotte.

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Wow, right on the money for Midcoasted. 8-3. The only "miss" was us losing one of the games to Detroit rather than to Milwaukee or Minnesota.

Aw Heck
02-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Well, I was wrong. But I'll gladly eat crow with the way this team has been playing under Vogel. Nice call, Midcoasted!

gummy
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I thought it was overly optimistic. Expected something more like 6-5. Good call.