PDA

View Full Version : SG or PF??

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Which position do we need to upgrade most? I see arguments both ways. Many on here i know are not hansbrough fans, but i think the guy will be solid with about 2 more season of experience, and maybe 20 more lbs of muscle.

Then there is George, who is capable of being a very good player, but lets not rush it and place everything on his shoulders either.

tough call, because if we bring in an elite SG Georges minutes will be reduced, if only for a few seasons.

I really like the McRob/Hansbrough PF combo, I agree an upgrade would be nice but I think the combo could do very well.

Therefore im gonna go with SG as the primary upgrade. I think George will be a star, but he needs time to mature. Give him 3-4 seasons before making him the starter. Im hesitant to say that b/c the way George is progressing he could be ready sooner.. i fear expecting too much from the guy too soon.

Trophy
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I like what we have at both positions.

With Danny playing SF, Paul is great at SG or SF if Danny's not playing.

He's already a good option and is going to get better.

The consistent combo of Tyler/Josh is really good, but we need some more defense at that position.

I would like for us to re-sign Josh.

BringJackBack
02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Upgrade the SG spot and play George 25-30 minutes a game as the 3rd wing. We really, really need one more guy that can create for himself.

The only reason that I'm saying that an upgrade at PF isn't the main option is because Hansbrough and Josh are significantly better stop gap solutions than Dunleavy.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
okay, i may change my vote. George will be this teams starting SG, Hansbrough will probably be a b/u. We need an elite PF.

i could second guess this one all day..

Dr. Awesome
02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
George/Rush have SG locked I feel like.

I'm comfortable with both McRoberts and Hansbrough for now too, mainly because I don't see any potential upgrades(FA's, players on market) worth giving anything up for what they would bring us at this moment.

Marlin
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Let George grow on the court. Have Hans as the backup 4. Move Josh to backup 5 and hope he holds his own there.

But we need an athletic, tough on both ends of the floor, power forward. Better yet if good at pick&rolling with Darren.

Edit: I may add, we have Rush, George and Jones under contract at the 2, while among the bigs depth is an issue (assuming we don't re-sign Jeff). Based on pure numbers, too, we'll need someone down there.

pizza guy
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
After seeing Paul George play the last few weeks, I'm more in favor of giving him the start and seeing what he can do. Let him play out the season as starter and then we can answer this a little better.

I like Hansbrough more with every game. I don't know if he's a top-tier PF in the NBA, but if PG24 becomes what we expect him to become, then we don't need an all-star PF anyways, IMO.

After the change in coaches, I'm OK with a wait & see approach. If these guys can put together a good second half, maybe we just move forward with them. If we don't really improve, then make some moves in the offseason.

yoadknux
02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I think an all around PF (like Josh Smith) is really what we need the most
However, there's just no good PF available... I just don't see a way for us to obtain a good PF but still keep Granger/Collison/Hibbert/George
because of that people like me look for other options, which is the SG spot. We could use help there also.
And what I mean is, it's more realistic for us to get a good SG than get a good PF

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 08:48 PM
good points. maybe it has more to do with who is avaiable. McRob and Hansbro are good stop gaps at the PF. George is too young to declare a starter.

Rush ive just about had my limit of inconsistency from. willing to give him more time under a new coach, and ive supported rush his entire time here up until now. he is on thin ice with this franchise imo. he should be adequate at the SG position right now, and he seems to disappear way too often.

if we can upgrade that SG position without taking much salary back, that might be the best direction to take.

looking forward to seeing Rush return, and if he plays with any more assertiveness and consistency all around.

judicata
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I think that an athletic SG adds another dimension to this team that a tweener 4/5 does not. We have a back to the basket scorer in Hibbert and a midrange guy in Tyler. We have a defensive rebounder in Foster and a versatile 4 in Josh. But other than George, we don't have a guy who gets to the damned rim, and he's still so raw (and possibly a 3 anyhow).

I'm also more comfortable having a lunch pail kind of guy at the 4 than at the 2.

King Phoenix
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
How bout we trade with Houston and get both?:D

I know that won't happen but I say pf!

And about sg, I just thought about something but don't kno if it is legit or will work. Let's say we move pg to sf on offense and MAKE sg actually take his more than likely smaller, slower defender off the dribble, work off screens for shots and all the other stuff we want. Wut u guys think?

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
It does seem like there are more SG's available to trade for than there are PF's.

pwee31
02-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I went SG. I like the McRoberts and Hansbrough combo for now, and I think that if we manage to keep out draft pick, that the draft next year will have plenty of good young PFs.

At SG, I like what I'm seeing from Paul George, and in a year or 2 he'll likely be the guy, but I still expect him to have some ups and downs, and though I'm a big Dunleavy fan, I don't think Dunleavy and Rush are consistent enough all-around for me to be comfy with the SG position. I think you try to go out and get a SG and let George be the 1st wing off the bench and still get solid minutes each night.

That's why I'm all for an Iguodala type, he does come many things well, that he takes pressure off everyone. You can have Iggy and Granger, Iggy and George, George and Granger, that's a nice wing trio.

Even a Kevin Martin. He may not be the best defender, but you know he can score the ball, get to the foul line, be a factor.

You add that talent to the wing, and Hansbrough and McRoberts are just fine at PF for the future

xIndyFan
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
pacers have a solid wing rotation for the future. granger/george/rush.

pacers need a couple bigs at least. starting PF and backup C.

i voted PF

Pacerfan
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm really glad we had this coaching change now because if JOB had been here till the end of the season Josh would have languished on the bench and wouldn't have wanted to resign here next year. Now we can take a good look at what we have and see these guys play and resign whoever is needed moving forward.

I wish we had done this earlier so we would have known this before the trade deadline, but at least there's about three weeks till the deadline now. I hope management watches these guys play the way they're supposed to be played and decides on what to do closer to the trade deadline. Engage in talks till then but don't pull anything till very close to the deadline.

I honestly don't know what is a greater need, sf or pf, but we have some great guys here and don't need to get desperate.

OakMoses
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I like Collison, Price, George, Rush, Hansbrough, McRoberts, Hibbert, but I don't feel like I can say with any certainty that any of them are perennial all-stars or likely to turn out to be Granger-level players. If we have a chance to snag a player on that level who's not a knucklehead and doesn't have a toxic contract, we have to do it. We can worry about positions and fit later.

rm1369
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Right now I'm not sold on anyone being an above average starter other than DG and PG. Unfortunantly, both are natural 3's, IMO. PG can likely play the 2, but I think he will ultimately be better as a 3. For a 2, I think we need a top level slasher - something this team has never had. I think our talent at the starting 4 is weaker, but only slightly. Ultimately this team will need significant upgrades at two positions to be more than mediocre. Which positions those are depends more on what's available.

pwee31
02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
If I go after Iggy, I know folks have said try to get Speights, and that would be nice, but I wouldn't mind trying to get Spencer Hawes from them.

Nice 7'1 center to backup Hibbert, and offer and different dimension at center. Only has a year left of his contract himself. Foster is playing well, but we can't expect his back to hold up forever, nor can we not try to cash in if his value is high.

If we could get Iggy/Hawes for Rush, a couple expiring contracts and a pick, I think that would be an ideal type of trade

BringJackBack
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Alright.. Over/under 50% chance of Larry actually pursuing and making a decent run for Iggy?

ilive4sports
02-01-2011, 09:31 PM
PF and PF by far. I like Hans and McBob, but I don't see either being a starter on a contender. I see that in George, I love this guy, no homo. He impresses me more and more each game and see him with Granger making a great SG/SF combo. I don't think its too early to say so. In games where he gets minutes he produces. And he's just a rookie. I see the right attitude and demeanor in him that will just make him even better. We don't have that talent at PF. When I watch us play I see the need for a PF way more than an SG. PG/Rush/Dunleavy is a way better SG rotation that the PF rotation of Hans/McBob. Plus I think having a top notch PF is more beneficial than a top notch SG, excluding an extreme talent like Kobe.

Hoop
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I like PG at SG along side Danny at SF. (I would only trade Danny and move PG to SF for a no brainer type trade)

PF, I want to wait and see what we've got the rest of this season.

McBob and Hans have not ever been used properly, sounds like Vogel is going to use them like most have wanted, we'll finally see what they can do.

You have to remember Hans is the same as a rookie and McBob is younger than Hans. They both have a TON of room to grow as players.

dohman
02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Trade Hubbard and George for a top tier sg.

Then sign Marc gasol in the offseason. Roll with Tyler.

DrFife
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I think we should keep in mind that the question of "which position to upgrade is the most important?" is not the same question as "given one mid-season trade, which position should we upgrade?"

I believe that a 4-5 Player X who can complement Hibbert as a PF yet fill in occasionally at C would add more value than any other single upgrade. (Exception, I'm also interested in Kaman, who I think could be a 5-4 for us.) That said, I side with Sookie and others who would give up an asset (Rush or Hans, not PGeorge) and a #1 (along with an expiring) to get Iggy. My point is that we need to aim high and take any opportunities that may arise this month, then respond accordingly next summer.

McKeyFan
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
We need one serious elite scorer/creator. Regardless of position.

I'm talking an Eric Gordon, Manu Ginobli (available as he ages?), Zach Randolph (issues), Jason Terry, Ben Gordon (defense), Baron Davis (heart), Monta Ellis, to name a few that aren't completely untouchable.

We don't have anyone who can take over a game by creating his own shot. The closest we have, honestly, may be TJ Ford, and he is not the answer. Collison isn't too bad, but perhaps can be shut down due to his size.

Granger isn't this person. He is clutch, I believe, and has shown it on several occasions. He just doesn't have the handles to create his own shot, so he can't take over games.

We need that one elite scorer, and with Paul George on the rise, we may need to trade Granger to get that player. PG could actually become that player in a couple years, but there's just no way of knowing right now.

Hicks
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I think a PF who is clearly better than Tyler or Josh and also makes Roy's offense less critical is more important than anything else.

With that said an equally talented SG who can create offense (and lots of it) would be a huge help, too.

We must get at least one of them, and it's be huge if we could get both.

Ideally you get them both, and it probably takes salary space/expiring for one, and trading George or Granger for the other.

McKeyFan
02-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Trade Hubbard and George for a top tier sg.

Then sign Marc gasol in the offseason. Roll with Tyler.
I don't like this idea, because I dig Hibbert and PG.

But I like the fact that you are thinking big and outside the box. It's probably gonna have to be something radical to get a truly great player in Indiana.

beezer615
02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
My thoughts exactly. It's like the season has hit the reset button. Have no idea what we have. Hibbert/McBob and Foster/Hans seems to work well in game 1. George is a stud the more he plays the more I like.

Feel like we will need someone a bit better than Hans and McBob more than George/Rush/Granger.

cdash
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I like the theory behind signing the best talent available regardless of position, but that rarely works in practice. Say the best talent available is a center, and okay, we decide to sign this guy to a big money deal. What kind of message does that send to Roy? He's already proven to be a little fragile mentally, how do you think he would react if we signed, say, Marc Gasol? Wouldn't that be a problem sooner rather than later? You can't play these guys out of position, there aren't enough minutes to go around to keep both of them happy, and it would cause more problems than it would correct and it would kill our leverage in dealing one of them. I just don't like that line of thinking. I don't think it helps the team that much. If we can't get someone that fills a position of need, then don't spend the money. Simple as that. Keep that cap flexibility so you can be there to pounce on guys via trades. Obviously we don't know what the new CBA will be like, but I don't think spending money on talented guys just for the sake of acquiring talent is the wisest road to venture down.

Nlwilson
02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I live out in socal and on the lakers vs.rockets pregame show they mentioned the rockets would not make a trade unless they got a superstar in return. Just thought I would throw it out there for those interested in Martin or Scola. Personally I would prefer a SG over a PF but not a fan of giving up Granger. He is part of our core and just find a SG with our expiring contracts.

croz24
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
last i checked, it was creators like paul pierce, dwayne wade, kobe bryant, manu ginobili, michael jordan winning nba titles. other than garnett with boston, do we remember the power forwards on those championship winning teams? and i don't think it's simply a matter of plugging george in at sg as i think he's best suited for the sf position.

pizza guy
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Let me add an addendum to my earlier post.

If there is a player like Eric Gordon or Kevin Love available, you have to go after them, regardless of how much we like PG or Hans. Guys like that are special, and would shoot us straight up the Eastern Conf ranks, not to mention create a really positive buzz for fans. I know some people don't like the combinations created by those two with our current players, but you have to consider the talent level and make it work.

If I had my druthers, both of the aforementioned players would be in Blue & Gold. That's highly unlikely, but I do sort of think the chances of Gordon coming home are decent if Larry (or whoever is GM) makes an attempt and throws that big money we'll have at him. And Love and Hibbert up front would, IMO, form a dominant duo because you really can't slack off of either, and they'd eat up rebounds like nobody's business.

Short of a real game-changer like those guys, I still say we stay put for now. Iggy is a popular choice on here, but I don't know that he'd be the final answer. I think we'd still have to add another star to really compete. And if we're going to be mediocre, I'd rather do it with young guys that are developing. It's more entertaining and personal, as opposed to bringing in a mid-level guy and calling him the savior, only to be disappointed.

Mackey_Rose
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
The biggest need is a top-level scorer. Doesn't matter what position that guy comes from, but if Granger is your best offensive weapon, you aren't a very good team.

MaHa3000
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
A starting center is what I want. Roy is good but I think he is a backup on a contender. Right now I don't see one out there except Greg Olden. Even if we could pick up a very good young backup for Roy like DeAndre Jordan, I would be happy.

Right now I'm good with every other position. Due to the fact that we are young and promising at pg,sg,sf,pf.

pacer4ever
02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
A starting center is what I want. Roy is good but I think he is a backup on a contender. Right now I don't see one out there except Greg Olden. Even if we could pick up a very good young backup for Roy like DeAndre Jordan, I would be happy.

Right now I'm good with every other position. Due to the fact that we are young and promising at pg,sg,sf,pf.

Greg Oden :laugh::picard:

MaHa3000
02-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Greg Oden :laugh::picard:

Really, am I the only one who thinks Olden could be a super star in this league? Doubt it, I'm glad you got to use your Startrek pic though.:laugh:

xBulletproof
02-02-2011, 12:10 AM
If we're keeping Danny, I'd say PF easily because I think George can handle the SG sooner rather than later. As in the beginning of next year. So if you're keeping Danny throughout his contract I don't want someone to come in here because we have a need for a couple of months.

The more I think about it the more I slowly warm up to getting David West. Not because I think he's any better of a player than I thought before. It's really only because I don't know of any potentially available PF I'd rather have other than Josh Smith, and I think he's a long shot.

xBulletproof
02-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Really, am I the only one who thinks Olden could be a super star in this league? Doubt it, I'm glad you got to use your Startrek pic though.:laugh:

Oden has a medical issue that causes problems for normal, every day people. He has one leg shorter than the other, and his body compensates for it causing knee, ankle and back problems. I don't think he'll ever be capable of being healthy.

cdash
02-02-2011, 12:56 AM
If we're keeping Danny, I'd say PF easily because I think George can handle the SG sooner rather than later. As in the beginning of next year. So if you're keeping Danny throughout his contract I don't want someone to come in here because we have a need for a couple of months.

The more I think about it the more I slowly warm up to getting David West. Not because I think he's any better of a player than I thought before. It's really only because I don't know of any potentially available PF I'd rather have other than Josh Smith, and I think he's a long shot.

I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately. I second this whole post.

CableKC
02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
For the near future...specifically the next 2 seasons.....I think that we get the best Starting quality SG AND best PF that we can get.

IMHO...at least for now......I think that BRush and Hansbrough are better suited to be "1st Players" at their respective positions to come off the bench for a solid Playoff Team ( which is what I think we should aim to become ) getting 20-25+ minutes a game.

I am holding judgement on PG as our future Starting SG ( at least until we can get a full season under his belt ). If he does mature far quicker then is expected and we do acquire/trade/sign a Starting quality SG....then IMHO...we will have a "happy problem" where we can decide what to do with our Wingman rotation.

OakMoses
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM

I'm just not sold on David West. He's a fine player, but adding mid-grade talent to this team isn't going to get us anywhere near where we want to be. I also think that there's a decent chance that Hansbrough will be able to do just about anything West can do within two years and do it with a higher level of intensity and physicality.

At this point I'm not really willing to add anybody to the team - especially if we're talking about signing them to a free agent contract - that isn't at least at Granger's level as a player. To me, West is a notch below Granger.

xBulletproof
02-02-2011, 01:17 AM
I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately. I second this whole post.

Hahah. I've always thought we agreed a lot. Except about Lance, but I'm aware I'm on an island of my own there.

CableKC
02-02-2011, 01:37 AM
At this point I'm not really willing to add anybody to the team - especially if we're talking about signing them to a free agent contract - that isn't at least at Granger's level as a player. To me, West is a notch below Granger.
The problem is that there are no Granger-level Players that we can sign....maybe acquire....but none that we can sign outright.

If you want a Granger-Level Player, the only way we can get one is through a trade.....and IMHO...it will likely cost us PG and a 1st. Are you willing to pay that price?

xBulletproof
02-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm just not sold on David West. He's a fine player, but adding mid-grade talent to this team isn't going to get us anywhere near where we want to be. I also think that there's a decent chance that Hansbrough will be able to do just about anything West can do within two years and do it with a higher level of intensity and physicality.

I certainly can't argue this. To me it is highly dependent upon his contract price and longevity. However he's a 50%+ shooter who scores near or above 20 PPG historically. He's a very efficient scorer and gets to the line frequently. As much as I like Tyler, I don't know if I could ever see him as a 20 PPG scorer efficiently.

Truthfully I think they'd make a nice 1-2 combo if McRoberts doesn't come back. I think they'd compliment each other well. I'm hoping for someone like Josh Smith who would be a perfect compliment to Hibbert, and I don't believe Tyler or West fit that description. However you can't always get the perfect piece you want. I'd be okay with West. Not ecstatic, but okay.

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 01:47 AM
last i checked, it was creators like paul pierce, dwayne wade, kobe bryant, manu ginobili, michael jordan winning nba titles. other than garnett with boston, do we remember the power forwards on those championship winning teams? and i don't think it's simply a matter of plugging george in at sg as i think he's best suited for the sf position.

Ummm think about all those teams. Pierce has Garnett, Wade had Shaq, Kobe had Shaq and now Gasol, Manu had Duncan. Jordan is the exception really. Then again Jordan is the exception to pretty much everything.

All the others had Hall of Fame big men.

I just see a top notch PF helping this team out way more than a SG. The PF will take pressure off all positions, especially Hibbert. A SG wont. Add that to the fact that I think PG is going to be a stud in this league, PF makes more sense.

croz24
02-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Ummm think about all those teams. Pierce has Garnett, Wade had Shaq, Kobe had Shaq and now Gasol, Manu had Duncan. Jordan is the exception really. Then again Jordan is the exception to pretty much everything.

All the others had Hall of Fame big men.

I just see a top notch PF helping this team out way more than a SG. The PF will take pressure off all positions, especially Hibbert. A SG wont. Add that to the fact that I think PG is going to be a stud in this league, PF makes more sense.

garnett relied more on pierce than the other way around. but all those guys are centers. you need a great center to win titles in this league historically. not great power forwards. i don't classify duncan as a pf, but think about the top pfs of all time and how many of those pfs have titles. and of those that do, how many were the team's number 1 option. you can win titles without great power forwards. scoring guards who can create and centers are the formula for success in the nba.

LA_Confidential
02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Alright.. Over/under 50% chance of Larry actually pursuing and making a decent run for Iggy?

I hope over and if he does I hope he goes after Speights too as rhe prize fo taking Iggys deal.

A line up of DC,Iggy,Danny,Speights, Roy with AJ,PG,Tyler and McBob as our bench. Thats a heck of a rotation.

Fingers crossed.

CableKC
02-02-2011, 03:22 AM
I hope over and if he does I hope he goes after Speights too as rhe prize fo taking Iggys deal.

A line up of DC,Iggy,Danny,Speights, Roy with AJ,PG,Tyler and McBob as our bench. Thats a heck of a rotation.

Fingers crossed.
What I don't get is why the Sixers would want to include Speights in any deal with Iggy. There's a greater chance that the Sixers would send Brand alongside Iggy before even considering Speights.

BTW.....there is no way that we'd be able to get Iggy without giving up PG. I don't think that BRush+1st+Expiring for Iggy would do it....BRush is a solid prospect...but he already has a "likely" ceiling. PG doesn't have a known ceiling yet and IMHO would be more desirable as a SF prospect to play next to Evan Turner.

ilive4sports
02-02-2011, 03:29 AM
garnett relied more on pierce than the other way around. but all those guys are centers. you need a great center to win titles in this league historically. not great power forwards. i don't classify duncan as a pf, but think about the top pfs of all time and how many of those pfs have titles. and of those that do, how many were the team's number 1 option. you can win titles without great power forwards. scoring guards who can create and centers are the formula for success in the nba.

I see Duncan as a PF, but thats another discussion. I just completely disagree. Top teams in the league right now tend to have a dominant big man whether it be a C or a PF. Boston has KG, Orlando has Dwight, SA has Duncan, Dallas has Dirk, Chicago has Boozer, LA has Gasol.

Shooting guards are flashy and can win you games. But to make a successful run throughout the playoffs and to contend you need a front court that can dominate. Why did Boston beat LA a few years back? Because Boston's front court was far superior. LA gets Gasol and things change. Kobe didn't get any better. Pierce didn't get any worse. The difference was the improved front court.

I agree you need both to win titles. But a combo of George/Rush/Dunleavy/Granger at the wing is closer than the combo of Han/McBob/Hibbert. I'm not saying pursue one and not the other. But if the option is great PF and good SG vs good PF and great SG, I think this team would benefit more from the first.

eric1516
02-02-2011, 03:35 AM
I agree you need both to win titles. But a combo of George/Rush/Dunleavy/Granger at the wing is closer than the combo of Han/McBob/Hibbert. I'm not saying pursue one and not the other. But if the option is great PF and good SG vs good PF and great SG, I think this team would benefit more from the first.

ilive4sports you changed my mind on this poll. I originally selected that we need a SG but presenting the package of George/Rush/Dunleavy/Granger is a lot better than the current PF/C package we have now.

However, I do think that now that Hans and McBob actually get PT, we will get to see a true mark of their development. Could that translate to a better PF combo than once thought?

Psyren
02-02-2011, 03:37 AM
It's a tough choice, but I have to say PF.

I like both Josh and Tyler. But face the facts. Neither are dominant. I don't see either having the potential to be dominant.

Paul George could go either way. He's looking like he's really going to work out, but who knows. At least I see the potential for stardom in George. I don't see that for Josh/Tyler, but they're both very valuable to this team.

PacersPride
02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Ideally, it may be best to get two vets at the position to fill in until George and Hansbrough are ready to become full-time starters at the position.

Hence one of the reasons been advocating West. he will likley be less expensive than neNe and liklely avaialble. one name that has been overlooked could be jamal crawford at 10M for 3 years.

a guy like neNe will want a max or around 15, or west and crawford at 10M each per 3-4 seasons.

who would you all prefer?

Nene, or West/Crawford addition. just trying to take a realistic viewpoint.