PDA

View Full Version : playoffs ?!?!?! playoffs ?!?!?!

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Will the pacers make the playoffs with Frank Vogel as interim head coach? and if yes, how well will they play?

LA_Confidential
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I say yes but i really believe that we will make a deal to assist in the push.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I am not really sure who we make a deal for though? With the right rotations, this is a very good basketball team. I like the PF rotation of McRob/Hansbrough. George needs to get minutes at SG/SF. The position we need to upgrade is SG because i dont think Dun/Rush is the solution, but willing to give Rush more time with a new coach. George should get significant minutes, but not start just yet. i dont think we will make a move unless its just too good of a deal too pass up. the more cap space the better is what im hoping for.

this roster could cause some problems to an older team like Boston, or a team thats not deep like Miami. the Bulls would probably sweep us, and i think we could win a game on Orlando. Boston and Miami we might be able to make a series of.. if everything goes as well as possible.

DC/Price
Dun/Rush
Granger/George
McRob/Hansbro
Hibbert/Foster

we are 10 deep and could give an older team like boston a challenge. Vogel can tweek the lineup as he deems necessary, as long as its these 10 on the floor.

BringJackBack
02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
EDIT:Four determining factors:

1.) Do we make any moves before the deadline?

2.) Do the turnovers stop soon?

3.) Do Roy Hibbert, Paul George, Danny Granger, and Darren Collison play decently? (Meaning that they don't get in any ridiculous slumps)

4.) Will we continue to improve?

If 2/4 are accomplished that greatly increases our chances.

pacer4ever
02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I am not really sure who we make a deal for though? With the right rotations, this is a very good basketball team. I like the PF rotation of McRob/Hansbrough. George needs to get minutes at SG/SF. The position we need to upgrade is SG because i dont think Dun/Rush is the solution, but willing to give Rush more time with a new coach. George should get significant minutes, but not start just yet. i dont think we will make a move unless its just too good of a deal too pass up. the more cap space the better is what im hoping for.

this roster could cause some problems to an older team like Boston, or a team thats not deep like Miami. the Bulls would probably sweep us, and i think we could win a game on Orlando. Boston and Miami we might be able to make a series of.. if everything goes as well as possible.

DC/Price
Dun/Rush
Granger/George
McRob/Hansbro
Hibbert/Foster

we are 10 deep and could give an older team like boston a challenge. Vogel can tweek the lineup as he deems necessary, as long as its these 10 on the floor.

Boston is 12 deep and they are better than are bench by far. They would crush us in s 7 gm series. I actually dont like the rotation having 10 men that is 2 many I like a 9 man rotation

judicata
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I am not really sure who we make a deal for though?

Personally, I would like to see them move Dunleavy for a two that can attack the rim and possibly a backup two that can really shoot. Start the 2 who can get to the rim with Danny and put in the shooter with George and make this team a little more 3-dimensional. Rush might be that second guy.

We are also still 1 swiss-army-knife big away from having our post handled.

LA_Confidential
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I agree this is a wonderful team. I makes me laugh to see and hear others object to that, but Im kinda sick of Dunleavy and Im sick of Foster. Maybe im swinging blindly but i've been advocating an Iggy/Speights trad for the longest. I know some are sick of it. :laugh:

Standing pat wouldn't upset me unless we miss the playoffs, but I believe we make it in. I'd much rather face the Heat than the C's.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
a few things here; but first i wanna say this in a very loose manner. does PG24 remind anyone of Bender to some degree?

Bender could shoot, jump, and was very smooth. PG24 is not 6'11 or nothing, but shooting they are very even, defensively they are both very athletic... maybe its b/c george is wearing benders former # or maybe something else.. really enjoy georges play and look forward to him doing well in a B&G jersey.

Vogel stated last night that his style of play would improve the TO's with time.

Boston is deep, but i think we match up well with them, dont ask me why but i do. however, only IF we can get organized in time for the playoffs, and everyone plays to their potential, specifcally Roy Hibbert, he could be a difference maker in a series like that.

i almost prefer the cap space over the Iggy deal, but if they would take Dun, and a 1st it might be okay. I just dont wanna see us give up George in any deal for Iggy.

BRushWithDeath
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
They are too far behind the eight ball at this point for me to think they will make the playoffs, but if they continue with last night's rotation (with Rush instead of Dahntay once he is back) they will win a lot more than if they stayed put until the end of the year.

And I will be much more interested.

Hicks
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm tempted to vote yes, but I need more games to watch first.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm tempted to vote yes, but I need more games to watch first.

not sure why the date to vote is feb 4th, i must have entered in the wrong digits, since i tried march 1st. i agree, i think the game against portland will be a good test, yet we cannot overlook cleveland either.. that would be a dissapointing loss no doubt.

pwee31
02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I voted Yes b/c the Pacers are only one game back of the 8th seed and 2 games back of the 7th seed.

We have 3 winnable games coming up in my opinion, that could put us right back in that 7th or 8th seed.

We have the talent to go on a nice run, and I think Bird will try go get some help before the trade deadline as well.

Could just be wishful thinking, but at least that I feel we're getting the right combo of players on court, I'm extremely optimistic

LA_Confidential
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I just dont wanna see us give up George in any deal for Iggy.

I agree.

yoadknux
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
If we trade and get a decent scorer to SUPPORT Granger, yes
otherwise, with our roster... probably not

judicata
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree.

He should be practically untouchable. We're not entirely certain what we've got, but we know its good and it might be brilliant.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
If we trade and get a decent scorer to SUPPORT Granger, yes
otherwise, with our roster... probably not

i think we have "decent players who can score" now. alot of that responsibility now falls on Hibbert. He needs to average double figures in scoring and close too it in rebounding. everyone else has to step us as well.

one thing that was interesting last night, the team seemed to want to take less 3's, and move the ball more to each other, displaying unselfishness.

its like Granger was thinking about different moves on the court, instead of just rising up and shooting a 3. he was unselfish as well, maybe it had to do with an off night, but he seemed to be thinking about changing his game up a little bit.

the pacers looked like they enjoyed playing offense and moving the ball around instead of settling for the first shot under 6 seconds philosophy.

bulldog
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I voted yes, but then again I voted yes before the O'brien firing. The East is bad, we'll regress to the mean, finish with about the record we expected at the beginning of the season and make the playoffs in a terrible Eastern conference.

pwee31
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I would like to add, that Danny Granger will have to snap out of his funk.. on both ends of the floor as well

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
George isn't getting traded at this point, there is just no way. Any deal any of us would consider for him won't be on the table at all and he's shown way too much returns on his potential so far to give up on him with a rookie contract going.

T'Bird nailed this pick 100%.

Everyone will ride the weak schedule and read way too much into those results in terms of the coaching change and the playoffs hype will go nuts. Then the schedule will get tough again and they'll "blow it".

The East is weaker, but several other teams were already starting to figure things out when JOB was dumped. I don't think this is nearly the "just show up and beat some bad teams and you can't miss the East playoffs" situation that people think it is.

Philly, Charlotte and the Bucks are all getting on track. Two of them have solid coaches who are clearly having an impact, and the Bobcats were yet another playoff team that had just had enough of their coach but moved him well before Indy moved JOB. As most of you know that resulted in their own "free X" player in Henderson, not unlike Josh, Tyler, AJ and George here.

Detroit seems iffy I'll agree. Jersey is just too far back and still in flux I think, as we saw the other night. But those aren't the teams you need to catch. Those are just the dangerous "easy" teams that can beat you at their own building still.

I think 4-6 the next 10 games, maybe 5-5. That won't be enough because right after that comes another rough patch. I think 35-47 as a final record seems on target and not enough to make the cut.

xIndyFan
02-01-2011, 05:00 PM
i think that danny agreed with JOB that the pacers were not a playoff team. so he was just playing. looks like danny plays hard when he feels the need. not every game. so if frank can convince danny that the pacers can win, danny should start playing harder on defense. the young guys will only get better. still need a PF to make any noise in the playoffs, but might give miami a run for their money.

Trophy
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
We have a better chance of making the playoffs with the younger guys getting a lot of minutes.

I just want them to keep it up.

LA_Confidential
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
If we dont make a trade, does Danny return to his 25ppg form or atleast sniff that type of production this year? That would help a lot imo.

joeyd
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Too early for me to chime in on sticking my neck out. But I agree with BringJackBack's criteria #2 and #4. If this happens, then it will be injuries that would do us in. We also have to assume that DG and Hibbert break out of their slumps.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Everyone will ride the weak schedule and read way too much into those results in terms of the coaching change and the playoffs hype will go nuts. Then the schedule will get tough again and they'll "blow it".

The East is weaker, but several other teams were already starting to figure things out when JOB was dumped. I don't think this is nearly the "just show up and beat some bad teams and you can't miss the East playoffs" situation that people think it is.

Philly, Charlotte and the Bucks are all getting on track. Two of them have solid coaches who are clearly having an impact, and the Bobcats were yet another playoff team that had just had enough of their coach but moved him well before Indy moved JOB. As most of you know that resulted in their own "free X" player in Henderson, not unlike Josh, Tyler, AJ and George here.

Detroit seems iffy I'll agree. Jersey is just too far back and still in flux I think, as we saw the other night. But those aren't the teams you need to catch. Those are just the dangerous "easy" teams that can beat you at their own building still.

I think 4-6 the next 10 games, maybe 5-5. That won't be enough because right after that comes another rough patch. I think 35-47 as a final record seems on target and not enough to make the cut.

most are aware the East is weak beyond the top 4 teams, and atl/knicks are almost there.

as for philly, charlotte, milwaukee, and whoever else, i think we have more talent than those teams do. i have not scouted or anything, but the pacers have some potential it needs to be unleashed.

im not expecting a miracle or anything from vogel. if obrien was the coach all season, im gonna be honest i didnt want the pacers in the playoffs. only to watch posey, and ford, solo and these players get meaningless :censored: minutes.

thats what wouldve happened. JOb woulda played the vets and the playoffs would not have meant a :mad: thing.

now if we get in, it will matter. and with this teams youth, i would like to see us make a run like OKC did last year.

maybe Dun has playoff magic in him no one has ever seen...:laugh:

yoadknux
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
i think we have "decent players who can score" now. alot of that responsibility now falls on Hibbert. He needs to average double figures in scoring and close too it in rebounding. everyone else has to step us as well.

one thing that was interesting last night, the team seemed to want to take less 3's, and move the ball more to each other, displaying unselfishness.

its like Granger was thinking about different moves on the court, instead of just rising up and shooting a 3. he was unselfish as well, maybe it had to do with an off night, but he seemed to be thinking about changing his game up a little bit.

the pacers looked like they enjoyed playing offense and moving the ball around instead of settling for the first shot under 6 seconds philosophy.
Aside from Granger, there's only 1 guy who I can say gets points every night (at least lately) and that's Darren Collison.
Our bench players/starters had one good game against one of the worst teams in the NBA, that's about it... I honestly don't think we can decide after one game that Hibbert, Tyler and George are ready to support our offense