PDA

View Full Version : Herb Simon: Larry Bird's job safe

Trophy
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6079955

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon says team president Larry Bird's job is safe through the rest of the season, and he could be back next year.

The Pacers fired coach Jim O'Brien on Sunday. Some fans have grown restless because the Pacers have missed the playoffs for four straight seasons. Many have been critical of Bird, an Indiana native and former Boston Celtics star.

Simon told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he feels Bird has done a good job since taking full control of basketball decisions after the 2007-08 season. The Pacers have an 18-27 record, 17 games behind the Eastern Conference-leading Celtics.

This is the final year of Bird's contract. Simon says he and Bird will meet after the season. He said Bird's desire to remain in the role will carry significant weight.

cdash
02-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I saw this on ESPN.com too. Why do I keep getting the impression that Bird won't be back next year?

Trophy
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I was thinking he didn't want to come back, but in his presser, he made it sound like it's up to Simon.

Given an extension, I think Bird will take it.

I don't know if Morway will be returning.

Dr. Awesome
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I was thinking he didn't want to come back, but in his presser, he made it sound like it's up to Simon.

Given an extension, I think Bird will take it.

I don't know if Morway will be returning.

Yea, this is what I was thinking too.

I hope Bird stays.

Hicks
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
At this point, I don't care if he comes back or not.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I think Bird will want to turn this thing around completely before he leaves. 3 more seasons and he will have accomplished it in its entirety. at this point, why leave when we are in the best position since who knows when with cap space.

i see Bird returning to make certain this franchise is back to an elite status.