PDA

View Full Version : Is Roy negative towards his teammates on the court?

imawhat
02-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Did anyone else catch this last night? The Raptors commentators were mentioning that Roy has bad body language and reacts negatively towards his teammates on the court.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems out of character, but I don't like the sound of it.

PacerPenguins
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
nope

BPump33
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Did anyone else catch this last night? The Raptors commentators were mentioning that Roy has bad body language and reacts negatively towards his teammates on the court.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems out of character, but I don't like the sound of it.

I know his way of congratulating them is to slap them on the back of the head. Other than that I have no idea what they are talking about. I think if anyone shows any negative actions it's Danny. His facial expressions can be priceless at times.

oxxo
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I've never seen anything from him other than admonishing Paul George (I'm guessing due to the nature of their relationship). Maybe they were talking about that? Or maybe they just don't know what they're talking about? :p From what I've seen on LP the Raptors are one of the teams with horrible commentators.

RWB
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
They probably thought Roy's nervous twitch was hostile.

Mr_Smith
02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I've never seen anything from him other than admonishing Paul George (I'm guessing due to the nature of their relationship). Maybe they were talking about that? Or maybe they just don't know what they're talking about? :p From what I've seen on LP the Raptors are one of the teams with horrible commentators.

Throw the WGN Bulls announcers in there too

JB24
02-01-2011, 12:06 PM

No, i don't think he is. I watch a few Raptor games whenever i'm in Canada, and i've heard Leo Rautins describe at least a dozen other players the same way (including Granger 2 years ago.) I honestly don't think he knows what he's talking about- most Raptor fans i talk to hate him and claim that he tends to talk a lot of baseless crap.

BringJackBack
02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah I'd take much of what Toronto's announcers say with a grain of salt for obvious reasons.

If you ever heard them you'd know those obvious reasons. They're weird.

Pacerfan
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
The Toronto announcers weren't too bad, I don't know where they thought Roy was being negative and didn't agree with them blasting the last shot. But other than that they praised our players a lot.. they were in love with PG.

The Chicago announcers on the other hand were horrible...totally homers. Every call against the Bulls was a bad call...Pacers players sucked..one thing I actually liked was them calling out JOB for not putting Josh back in earlier. But other than that they were horrible.

BringJackBack
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah Stacey King needs to be put in his place. I can't wait until they're bottom feeders again like they have been this whole decade.

FlavaDave
02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I was at the game in the front row behind the basket last night, and I heard him and saw him encourage PG several times. I never saw him do or say anything negative.

Gamble1
02-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I saw just one play were he looked pissed at Collison for letting his man beat him which forced Roy off his man and he couldn't get there in time to block the shot.

Collison threw his hands down in disgust. Pretty much a making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Roaming Gnome
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Roy negative towards his teammates on the court
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWa17Rloi6K5z1lgkeDqzskQ9_Ob0Us 9CCmi9DBHEKVwWDn5iJwg
Horse Hockey!!!

oxxo
02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Throw the WGN Bulls announcers in there too

Haha yea, the Bulls are pretty bad too. Right up there with the Celtics and Warriors announcers.

MagicRat
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I saw just one play were he looked pissed at Collison for letting his man beat him which forced Roy off his man and he couldn't get there in time to block the shot.

Collison threw his hands down in disgust. Pretty much a making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Must be why he gave DC a spanking during DC's post game interview with Stacey..........

Eddie Gill
02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
most Raptor fans i talk to hate him and claim that he tends to talk a lot of baseless crap.

Did anyone hear him last night start to talk about how Toronto would love to see Tyler settle for mid-range jumpers? The color guy immediately reminded him that Tyler has a pretty good shot, to which he immediately started stammering and backtracking. The dude was caught red handed talking out his ***

BillS
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Because Roy's outside actions mirror his emotions, he is going to react when someone else makes a mistake - but he'll react when he does as well.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Roaming Gnome
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Maybe Toronto's announcers are still trying to justify giving up the Roy draft pick for the rental of Jermaine O'neal.

Yeah, that's it... We didn't get fleeced, Roy's just a bad guy!!!

xBulletproof
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I was at the game in the front row behind the basket last night, and I heard him and saw him encourage PG several times. I never saw him do or say anything negative.

You're not the one that the ref turned around to point at and said something to after he made a wrong call and corrected it, are you?

I wondered what was said. :laugh:

Dr. Awesome
02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
The Celtics have the worst announcers. They literally spend the whole game bashing the others teams players and complain against EVERY SINGLE CALL that goes against the Celtics. It would get ridiculous, stuff like "Roy just made a jump shot - doubt we'll see that again this year.", "Yea, Josh McRoberts can't dunk the ball like that again.", ect. It was the worst broadcast I have ever seen.

ballism
02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't think he's negative towards teammates. He does seem negative towards himself very often, on the other hand. I don't love that kind of body languague, I'd prefer him to be more like a Tim Duncan or Blake Griffin. If you are one of the leaders of your team, you can't stop and act like the sky is falling after you miss a shot in the second quarter. Just rush back to defense. But he is who he is.

FlavaDave
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
You're not the one that the ref turned around to point at and said something to after he made a wrong call and corrected it, are you?

I wondered what was said. :laugh:

Nope, not me. I was on the other side. Sadly, I couldn't make out what they said either.

pwee31
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
The only negativity I really saw last night from Roy was one play where he was caught in a pick & roll on the defense, and went in the lane to contain the point guard, and no one helped on Roy's man which led to a foul.

I remember Roy shouting out something along the lines that someone's gotta be there, or you've gotta help. He didn't single anyone out, but Granger was the guy that clearly should have been there, and I believe he's the one that reached in and got the foul.

I was perfectly fine with Roy doing this by the way. Players have to be held accountable on the defensive end...even Danny Granger

Trophy
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't think too much into what other team's have to say about us. Especially the freakin' commentators who seem like they're paid by the word.

maragin
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
The Celtics have the worst announcers. They literally spend the whole game bashing the others teams players and complain against EVERY SINGLE CALL that goes against the Celtics. It would get ridiculous, stuff like "Roy just made a jump shot - doubt we'll see that again this year.", "Yea, Josh McRoberts can't dunk the ball like that again.", ect. It was the worst broadcast I have ever seen.

On the flip side, I could listen to the New York announce team all day. Very professional, prepared and even complimentary.

pacer4ever
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM

thats so true

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
6th row baseline corner opposite Raptors. Saw Roy giving that fired up yell he does after one of his teammates made a big play late in the game, so I'd say he's supportive.

Again, as I mentioned in a few places I saw Granger yelling at Tyler about his mistakes on switches during the Orlando game. At one point at the huddle it bordered on a total meltdown, all one way though.

I never saw Roy express anything but self disgust. To me he comes off as the emotional leader and the guy most invested in the team's fortunes.

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Without a doubt that Celts and Bulls are the worst announcing teams.

And this isn't from a "they don't compliment the Pacers enough", they handle all teams like this. Contrast that with Chick Hearn with the Lakers who always came off as genuinely interested in the sport as played by anyone. He knew the other teams and liked any player that played a good game.

To be honest I think the Boston and Chicago broadcasts reflect the attitude of their fanbases. Apart from NYC I don't think there's another city with the sense of privilege and arrogance that Boston and Chicago have.

Bird Fan
02-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah, the Celtics announcers are pretty bad. They really just make me laugh, complaining about three seconds, offensive fouls, and the like.

I've also heard them express their love for Jimmy. And then question his rotations...

McKeyFan
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I regularly listen to the opposing teams' broadcasters. Rarely do they have a clue about the Pacers.

xBulletproof
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I regularly listen to the opposing teams' broadcasters. Rarely do they have a clue about the Pacers.

It goes both ways, really. Our announcers make some crazy comments about other teams. However unless you watch teams regularly on League Pass or something you'd never know.

Sookie
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Honestly, I thought the raptors announcers were pretty good. At times I couldn't tell who they were rooting for. (They just adored Paul George..)

I think Hibbert probably reacted to something negative his teammates did. Roy wears his heart on his sleeve. It's not a problem, and Roy's just as positive.

PacersPride
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe Toronto's announcers are still trying to justify giving up the Roy draft pick for the rental of Jermaine O'neal.

Yeah, that's it... We didn't get fleeced, Roy's just a bad guy!!!

getting Roy Hibbert for a broken down JO was a great move by LEGEND.

BRushWithDeath
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Roy Hibbert's emotions are such that when things are good, he will make it seem really good. When things are bad, he will make it seem really bad.

I think that rubs off on his teammates to some extent. Both ways.

speakout4
02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Roy Hibbert's emotions are such that when things are good, he will make it seem really good. When things are bad, he will make it seem really bad.

I think that rubs off on his teammates to some extent. Both ways.
That's why he needs a coach that will keep him even and hopefully that what he has now. We saw a more positive Roy earlier but when things got rough he didn't have the support he needed. JOB just isn't that kind of guy.

jhondog28
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I just remember when Hans made that sweet two handed flush on the miss shot Hibbert ran from the bench and was going to kill Hans with a massive chest bump....what an ahole!

BRushWithDeath
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
That's why he needs a coach that will keep him even and hopefully that what he has now. We saw a more positive Roy earlier but when things got rough he didn't have the support he needed. JOB just isn't that kind of guy.

Also, a regular lithium regimen could be helpful.

PacersHomer
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
This is why I don't listen to Canadians.