PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Better Than Their Record

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18628

Details are starting to leak out about the meeting between Pacers president Larry Bird and head coach Larry O'Brien that lead to O'Brien's unexpected firing. Ultimately, O'Brien told Bird he felt the Pacers just aren't good enough to make the playoffs, that no matter what he does as a coach the team simply isn't up to the challenge.

Bird disagreed, and frankly, it's easy to see why. On paper the Pacers are certainly a playoff team, especially in the notoriously weak Eastern Conference. The top five teams in the East are radically improved or cemented into the playoff picture, but beyond that one of the last three spots should be very much within Indiana's reach.

Instead, they've been terrible, and their recent collapse in Chicago was the final straw for Bird. The team has been simply terrible for most of January, and the reasons seem easy to identify and easy to correct.

First, it's time to get the ball back in Roy Hibbert's hands. Hibbert had an amazing start to the season, averaging nearly 18 points, 10 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game over the first month, but has steadily fallen off ever since. Part of that's on Hibbert, but part of it is on the team to keep him involved in every play. Against Chicago - a team with no center at the moment - Hibbert got just five shots and logged only 21 minutes. He did manage to block five shots in that time, but was otherwise unimpressive. More minutes, more touches, more production. Easy enough.

Second, turn Darren Collison loose, please! The young man who turned heads and impressed even Chris Paul in New Orleans last season has been kept under wraps by a system that doesn't let him run-and-gun nearly enough. When Paul Silas took the reins in Charlotte, the first thing he did was turn DJ Augustin loose, and the wins immediately started coming. Interim head coach Frank Vogel now needs to do the same thing with Collison, who has at least as much potential as Augustin and probably a lot more.

Finally, the Pacers need to get serious about acquiring a power forward. Troy Murphy was quite good for them, and the New Jersey Nets would give him away for one of those toaster cars the hamsters drive on TV. The Sacramento Kings are looking for a point guard, and have been offering Carl Landry around. If the Kings would take TJ Ford's ending deal, Landry is the kind of player who helps his team win games in the clutch and would be an outstanding complement to Granger, Hibbert and Collison.

Sometimes a new head coach can completely change the fortunes of an NBA team, and that's the hope in Indiana. The Pacers need to make the playoffs this season, because if they don't everyone from Bird to the ball boys could be gone when next season starts.

Time to get busy, Pacers.

Kegboy
01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Damn, if we could possibly get Landry for Ford...:love:

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldnt mind snatching up Wilson Chandler if Granger were to be traded

Pacersalltheway10
01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd rather have TJ for Jason thompson. but I would gladly accept Landry. He has a 7 foot wingspan and an 8'5" standing reach and has great toughness and a very good low post game. his defense has also improved. He recently guarded Carmelo, birdman, Nene, and shawne williams all in one game and did a very good job on them. He also used to his quickness to deny Blake Griffin from dominating the game by denying him the ball.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Carl Landry is significantly better than Jason Thomspon. I'd rather take him for a one year rental than Jason if it is going to get us over the hump.

Then maybe resign him as a third big.

Pacersalltheway10
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt mind snatching up Wilson Chandler if Granger were to be traded

Knicks are in love with him. they want to lock him up for years and are reluctant to trade him for carmelo. i would love him in Indy if Danny got traded though.

Heisenberg
Am I wrong in not really trusting this site as a source? I haven't read anywhere else that JOB doesn't think the roster's talented enough to make the playoffs.

PacerDude
Damn, if we could possibly get Landry for Ford...:love:That would be criminal. Sacto wouldn't do that - would they ?? I'll go to the airport and pick Landry up. And buy him dinner.

OK, and a beer.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I think he was talking about Landry Fields in NY, not Carl Landy

Pacerfan
01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Jim Rome about to talk about Pacers if anyone is interested.

aaronb
01-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I think he was talking about Landry Fields in NY, not Carl Landy

It was a misquote in that article. It was supposed to read "laundry". The proposed deal was TJ in exchange for Laundry. The hang up is exacty how much laundry makes it a fair deal?

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Jim Rome about to talk about Pacers if anyone is interested.

if you get a chance would love to know what was said

Thanks man

Sandman21
01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
That would be criminal. Sacto wouldn't do that - would they ??
Nobody thought we could get DC for just Troy Murphy........;)

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
It was a misquote in that article. It was supposed to read "laundry". The proposed deal was TJ in exchange for Laundry. The hang up is exacty how much laundry makes it a fair deal?

I was wrong bro

I think he meant the Sac landry (sp)

DemonHunter1105
01-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Now the real question is how useful the laundry will be to us. We can't afford to take back B-level laundry in any deals and expect to get better. In my opinion we try to get a few young pieces that can be utilized for many years to come.

That being said, I would accept a few pairs of socks and maybe some underwear for TJ. Can never have enough socks and underwear. ;)

Pacerfan
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
if you get a chance would love to know what was said

Thanks man

They didn't say much. It was towards the end of the show..the happy trails part. They talked about how Larry might leave and they might be in complete rebuild mode after the summer. Nothing with much insight...they obviously don't follow the Pacers enough to give any new insights, but I give them props for actually giving it some airtime unlike most of the other shows. I think Sportscenter had a 15 second blurb on it.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Nobody thought we could get DC for just Troy Murphy........;)

NaptownSportsDude

Nice site my man, I was checking out your blog

Heisenberg
01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
They didn't say much. It was towards the end of the show..the happy trails part. They talked about how Larry might leave and they might be in complete rebuild mode after the summer. Nothing with much insight...they obviously don't follow the Pacers enough to give any new insights, but I give them props for actually giving it some airtime unlike most of the other shows. I think Sportscenter had a 15 second blurb on it.
You talking about the PTI guys?

D-BONE
01-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Who's Larry O'Brien?

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 11:30 PM
are we a playoff team? if 35 wins is a playoff team then yes we are. if a playoff team needs 40 -42 wins then no

Hicks
01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
This surprises me:

Ultimately, O'Brien told Bird he felt the Pacers just aren't good enough to make the playoffs, that no matter what he does as a coach the team simply isn't up to the challenge.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
are we a playoff team? if 35 wins is a playoff team then yes we are. if a playoff team needs 40 -42 wins then no

If we'd had Frank Vogel since November, I believe we'd have won about 41 games, health permitting.

And that's with what we have; if we make a good trade in February, who knows what can happen.

Kid Minneapolis
02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
This team *is* talented. Gettin' tired of hearing that they aren't. It's a lame excuse for a coach who wasn't winning when he should have been. What kind of coach lays blame on the players? They have a good starting five; they have talent on the bench --- it's a good team. Been saying that all year. The fact that we have 17 wins right now is a complete joke...

Peck
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
How did they get this supposed comment from Jim from a private conversation between Jim & Larry?

Then they think that we should get Troy Murphy back?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandman21
02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Who's Larry O'Brien?

The guy they named the Championship trophy after.:D

NaptownSportsDude

Nice site my man, I was checking out your blog
Tis a work in progress. There used to be several shots at O'Brien that had to be removed, since he's not our coach anymore. :D

90'sNBARocked
02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
This surprises me:

So if that is true then he is a bigger idiot then I thought

If you as coach, think were not good enough to make the playoffs , then what the hell was your reasoning for playing the Vets?

Just like he did in Boston

Maybe the guy really doesnt like young players, but it seems to me all he had to do to keep his job was mix in the development of the youth

apparently Jim was too stubborn to do that

Pacer in Your Face
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM

I think that we are better than what we are showing, but in the end the record is what advances you to the playoffs so thats what matters.