PDA

View Full Version : Who watched the Steelers game?

MSA2CF
09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
What a game! Sure, we let the Raiders back in it, and I wasn't too happy about it, but the team showed heart and took the lead right back, playing Steeler football. The first drive proved a lot about this year's team. It also proved to me that I may find Jerome Bettis coming off the bench to be a good thing. :o Send it in Jerome! :devil:

Sure is a great day to be a Steelers fan! :cheers:

And kudos to my buddy Morten Andersen on his new gig in Minnesota. :thumbsup:

ChicagoJ
09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Nice game. Just got done watching my TiVo version.

That TD taken away from us was an awful call.

We looked good early running the ball. I'm gonna like Duce, that's for sure. And that paid off in the fourth quarter. Duce had a lot of success running right at Washington and Sapp. In fact, the only time the Raiders got back into the game was when we threw on first down... and that's never been Steelers football.

Defense looked really good again, except for the secondary. Seems like I've been saying that for several years now. Gannon connected on a couple of tough passes, but he was under pressure all day. Aaron Smith, Hampton and Kimo were enough, against the Raiders OL, to keep Gannon out of sync. Clark Haggans had a great game, Joey Porter was solid, Farrior was quiet because the Raiders were trying to avoid him, and Larry Foote filled in nicely for Kendrell. When your front-seven plays that well, you win football games.

I liked Maddox's numbers, I think he only threw 20 or 21 passes. That's about right.

Lord Helmet
09-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Yea I agree it was a great game even as a Colt fan:p How many INT's did Gannon throw?2?

ChicagoJ
09-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Two interceptions, which both were uncharacteristically horrible reads from Gannon, and one lost fumble. The Steelers players were *wide open* on each interception without a Raiders player even nearby. The Steelers front-seven forced him into an awful game, and he made some mental mistakes.

When he had a little bit of time, such as on the two big scoring plays, he used the pump-fake very, very effectively and put long passes right on the money.

Lord Helmet
09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Oh did any of you guys watch the Bengals game?They should have won but they couldn't stop C.Martin.

Lord Helmet
09-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Since the football lineup was the worst possible selection for TV viewing today, I had to watch the Steelers game too. I got out of it the same thing I had thought about both teams going in.

The Raiders aren't good. They're not good on paper, and they're not good on the field. If you give Gannon a couple hours, he can still tear you apart. But that offensive line is so bad that he rarely gets the opportunity. They're also a poorly coached team. Norv Turner has an increbile reputation for a guy who's never done anything at the NFL level. Signing Warren Sapp and Ted Washington makes for a nice story, but they're not in any kind of scheme where they can be useful, and both are long past the effective part of their careers if they're being asked to be full-time starters. Not having Napolean Harris hurt the Raiders LB corp, as it had basically no one capable of tackling or making a play. They've got some definite speed at WR, but nothing in the backfield. They have a lot of running backs, it's just that none of them are any good.

The Steelers have a team capable of winning somewhere between 7 and 9 games. 9 if the Ravens can't pull their act together, and 7 if they do and the Browns continue to play pretty well. QB isn't a strength; they didn't draft Rosheslinger(sp) because they thought Maddux was a good QB. Duce is a nice addition, but he doesn't have enough to carry the load over more than 10-12 games. If they keep him down to 15 carries a game until about Week 13, he might be able to finish the season out strong. Otherwise, he'll be worn out by the halfway mark. Bettis is a good goal-line back, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy for a few years now as age is catching up. Burress is still the same reviever. Ward and Randle El are good slot recievers, but you can tell Randle El isn't used to catching the ball yet. OLine is okay, but needs a lot of work to keep Madduz upright. That defense will always be done in by the secondary. It's terrible terrible terrible. The front 7 can be effective, but if you can run the ball or have a decent play action package, you could score almost at will against it.

Neither team has a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Yea I agree they could have had some better games.I would have liked to watch the Falcons or Eagles game.The best game I saw today had to have been the Cowboys-Vikings game.Man the turf at the MetroDome looks nice!:o At first I thought it was real.It makes you think why can't the Colts get that turf?Aren't we the only team with it?But we may be getting something bigger for the Colts to play in soon.;) :devil:

Lord Helmet
09-13-2004, 12:06 AM
You're right, the Rose Bowl does have a larger seating capacity than the RCA Dome.

:cool:
:laugh:

ChicagoJ
09-13-2004, 12:40 PM
:blush:

ChicagoJ
09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
-snip-
The Steelers have a team capable of winning somewhere between 7 and 9 games. 9 if the Ravens can't pull their act together, and 7 if they do and the Browns continue to play pretty well. QB isn't a strength; they didn't draft Rosheslinger(sp) because they thought Maddux was a good QB. Duce is a nice addition, but he doesn't have enough to carry the load over more than 10-12 games. If they keep him down to 15 carries a game until about Week 13, he might be able to finish the season out strong. Otherwise, he'll be worn out by the halfway mark. Bettis is a good goal-line back, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy for a few years now as age is catching up. Burress is still the same reviever. Ward and Randle El are good slot recievers, but you can tell Randle El isn't used to catching the ball yet. OLine is okay, but needs a lot of work to keep Madduz upright. That defense will always be done in by the secondary. It's terrible terrible terrible. The front 7 can be effective, but if you can run the ball or have a decent play action package, you could score almost at will against it.

You seem to be forgetting that football games are won in the trenches.

The Steelers OL and defensive front seven will win the war much more often than they'll lose it. Granted, losing Marvell Smith for the entire season hurts the OL but Alan Faneca is far-and-away the best pulling guard in the league, and when you run as many traps as the Steelers will run, that's pretty important.

This team, with no other big injuries, and a more effective/ aggressive use of the front 7, is somewhere between the 10-5-1 team of two seasons ago and the 13-3 team of three seasons ago. Last season at 6-10 was the aberration.

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:04 PM
:lol2:

The Steelers are definitely a playoff team.

"Perhaps they can play a rousing game against Lousiana Tech next week? It may at least be more competitive then."

That statement just baffles me. :chin:

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:05 PM
It was a good football game. I'm glad everyone in Indianapolis had a chance to watch it. :thumbsup:

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:26 PM
I don't see how the Browns are on the same level or above the Steelers; I really don't.

I think I can sense the sarcasm in your last three sentences. If it wasn't intended, I apologize. I don't know about you, but I don't like having road maps to find out the meaning of a post. The first thing you posted didn't make sense to me. And I read your opinion of the Raiders, and it still doesn't make much sense to me why the game wasn't competitive. It was tied going down to the wire. I disagree about the "crappy" division. What you may call crappy, I call competitive.

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:29 PM
One thing I would have liked to hear more from that game was Casey Hampton's name being called. :smart:

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I wasn't treating it as a shot to the Steelers, just to make that clear. I just thought it was a competitive game, not even looking at who the opponents were. That's what I was concentrating on.

Oh, and I was ecstatic when I heard IU beat someone good for once. :o

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 05:52 PM
I wasn't treating it as a shot to the Steelers, just to make that clear. I just thought it was a competitive game, not even looking at who the opponents were. That's what I was concentrating on.

Oh, and I was ecstatic when I heard IU beat someone good for once. :o

Right. But that was the Oregon game. I was using Central Michigan as an example.

:laugh: I'm not that slow, btown....or am I? :blush:

ChicagoJ
09-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I was leaving this alone because Btown and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on whether or not the Steelers are a playoff team or not.

In the NFL, even a bad team can win on any given Sunday. So the Raiders rally doesn't really say anthing about Pittsburgh or Oakland any more than the Colts rally on Thursday night said anything about NE or the Colts. :shrug:

The Raiders are bad, and I was very, very nervous when they got back into the game. But I can pinpoint exactly how: on the two plays of the entire game where Gannon had a little bit of time, he pump-faked and connected on deep passes. Our secondary sucks, and we've got to rely heavily on our front seven to keep pressure on opposing QBs. Thankfully, our front seven is among the best in the league, and our defensive coordinator has been regarded as the best in the league many, many times, so they are up to the task.

Its true that our division is very weak. Baltimore is completely overrated. They are basically the same team, and we are basically the same team, that we demolished in Week #1 last season, before injuries to our OL and Maddux's inconsistency led to a frustrating season. Assuming we win the division, which I think is a given, the second-place team won't earn a wild-card birth. Hey, I expect the Steelers to go 6-0 against the Division, just like they did in 2002.

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
I'll top that, Jay. 16-0 in the regular season. :plot:

Kstat
09-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Are the Lions the most cursed franchise in NFL history or what......

One the first pass of the first drive of the first GAME of the season, our most talented player, Charles Rogers (#2 pick of last year's draft) gets a SEASON ending broken clavicle.....for the SECOND season in a row.

Later in the quarter, our most talented DEFENSIVE player goes down...hopefully for only 2 more games.

On the bright side, the Lions are still 1-0, and all the rookies (Lehman, Jones, Williams) were OUTSTANDING.

On the negative side.....well, they're still the Lions. Only the Lions could turn a WIN into the most depressing game of the season.....:cry:

Oh yeah, go Steelers. Only cause they played the Raiders though;)

The final 2004 season stat line from Charles Rogers, the top player on the Detroit Lions, and arguably one of the top receivers in the NFL:

1 game
3 plays
0 catches
0 yards
0 TDs

Excuse me while go find something to smash.:grumble:

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 08:29 PM
That's rough, Kstat. I feel your pain; I really do. Charles was on one of my fantasy football teams. :(

ChicagoJ
09-13-2004, 08:36 PM
I remember Rod Woodson tearing an ACL at the Silverdome on opening day. I guess Barry Sanders was hard to tackle.

He did come back and play in the Super Bowl that season, and defended Michael Irvine pretty well. :)Too bad Neil O'Donnell threw the game away in the fourth quarter.

However, Charles' injury sounds even more painful than a torn ACL. Ouch.

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 08:41 PM
I actually believed the Lions would be contenders for the playoffs this year, but in the last few months, with all these people around the country and media picking Detroit to be a sleeper, I have changed my mind. With the widespread talk of them being a sleeper, they have inadvertently contradicted themselves. Get what I'm saying? :blush: I think what I'm trying to say is that I thought the Lions would surprise the NFL and do extremely well this year, but with all the attention they've gotten, I've changed my mind and they Lions won't...But how about that Roy Williams catch on Sunday? :o

Kstat
09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
I actually believed the Lions would be contenders for the playoffs this year, but in the last few months, with all these people around the country and media picking Detroit to be a sleeper, I have changed my mind. With the widespread talk of them being a sleeper, they have inadvertently contradicted themselves. Get what I'm saying? :blush: I think what I'm trying to say is that I thought the Lions would surprise the NFL and do extremely well this year, but with all the attention they've gotten, I've changed my mind and they Lions won't...But how about that Roy Williams catch on Sunday? :o

As I said before, all the rookies were OUTSTANDING sunday.

-Teddy Lehman literally ripped the football out of a RB's hands, and made the key block in Bracy Walker's TD return. As linebackers go, debuits don't get any better.

-Roy had a catch that maybe 5 players in the NFL could have made, stabbing the ball with one hand between two defenders and reeling it in.

-Kevin Jones had a 40-yard catch and a TD run that got wiped out by a penalty. He would have scored anyway.

My only hope is that Roy steps up and takes Rogers's place as the NEW "triplet," along with Harrington and Jones.

So far, the kid looks really talented. And thankfully, we have a lot of WR depth behind him. I hope he can come through.

ChicagoJ
09-14-2004, 11:30 AM
MSA,

I read the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette online during the season. They've got a good article on the secondary today. If you don't normally check out that newspaper, you might like it.

But take warning, unlike the relationship between The Star and the Pacers, these guys are not toilet-paper soft on the Steelers if things aren't going well. If the Steelers deserve a public ripping, the columnists at the PPG will deliver.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04258/378809.stm

MSA2CF
09-14-2004, 05:00 PM
:laugh: @ Plaxico, but I believe it's true. Thanks, Jay. The only other times I've read the PP-G is when I've played Madden 2005. ;)

The writer made some good points.

Thanks again for the enlightenment, Jay.

Win #2 comes on Sunday. :devil:

ChicagoJ
09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
:laugh: @ Plaxico, but I believe it's true.

-snip-

Last week, Plaxico Burress scoffed at Baltimore as the favorite to repeat as division champ. He said the rest of the division fears the Steelers more, even though they were picked to finish third or fourth.

Win #2 comes on Sunday. :devil:

Yep.

MSA2CF
01-08-2005, 09:39 PM
I'll top that, Jay. 16-0 in the regular season. :plot:
So close....:D

ChicagoJ
01-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I'd forgotten all about this thread.

Silly me; I thought this team was somewhere between the 13-3 and 10-5-1 teams. I guess I've been underestimating Bill Cowher, the best coach in professional sports, again. Shame on me.

I'd love to see how dominant the defense would be with Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell healthy. :drool: