PDA

View Full Version : Interesting little bit from David Aldridge.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/01/31/morning-tip-celtics-lakers-rematch/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Maybe Jim O'Brien is that stubborn, but it's just hard to believe that a coach with his future on the line would be so inflexible about playing young players if that's what management wants, that he wouldn't play Tyler Hansbrough or Paul George, and stop chastizing Roy Hibbert in public. Maybe O'Brien is that stubborn; that was the knock on him in Philly in what turned out to be a disastrous season. Another disaster was unfolding in Indiana this year after a promising start, which led to the Pacers firing O'Brien Sunday and naming assistant Frank Vogel as interim coach for the rest of the season. But someone who knows Bird well told me Sunday he thinks there's still a chance that Pacers owner Herb Simon says to Bird, and this is paraphrasing, "You tell me we're a playoff team. You tell me we have good players. So go back on the bench and show me."

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm not going back and rehasing the O'Brien era.

The part in bold makes very little sense to me. Does that mean Bird still might coach?

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know about the bold part, but JOB is indeed that stubborn.

Makes me wonder if Aldridge reads PD.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm not going back and rehasing the O'Brien era.

The part in bold makes very little sense to me. Does that mean Bird still might coach?
Yes.

Regarding "rehashing the O'Brien era," ye gads, we had to endure hashing him for two excruciating years. You better betcha I'm going to rehash him for a month or two.

Since86
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Ugh, count me out. I feel emotionally drained after yesterday. When I saw it on the bottom ticker, I was pumped but that quickly turned into a "meh."

Right now I feel like I'm taking a scruber to my wound and making sure all the dead flesh is out of the area. After that, I just want to put on the band-aid and let it heal.

Jim who?

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Why would someone who knows Bird have knowledge of what Simon would say?

flox
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm more worried that Bird keeps on telling Simon that we are a playoff team.

CT Pacer
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm hoping Frank won't give Simon the chance to say that to Bird. IDK about you guys but the team will obviously do better from this point on because well... it can't get much worse. :)

Since86
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
The Pacers SHOULD be a playoff team. They've played God-awful the last two months and are still 9th in the East......

aaronb
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm more worried that Bird keeps on telling Simon that we are a playoff team.

Simon is getting pretty old. Maybe he THINKS we've been in the playoffs these past 6 seasons? Larry might be putting on late 90's video's in Simon's office and telling him that its the current team?