PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Winter Storm and its effect on the game tonight (1/31)

mb221
01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
With the predicted developing winter storm that is expected to drop ice and snow over the central Indy area beginning at around 7pm, is there any reason to expect any changes to the schedule of the game this evening? Also, would you expect a much smaller turnout in fear of the adverse conditions that could be faced when leaving the game?

Naptown_Seth
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Some of my coworkers expressed concern when I asked them to go to the game with me, so it will impact attendance.

Maybe another MB could address any info from the Pacers viewpoint regarding cancellations or postponement.

My solution was to move within walking distance. :)

BillS
01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Opponent is already in town so the chances are pretty high the game goes as scheduled. As far as attendance, that's another story.

We've got the 4WD and main roads to get there, so I suspect we'll get there tonight. Our scheduled flight to Atlanta tomorrow is another story...

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2011, 02:28 PM
I-70 in my neck of the woods is always clear enough to get to & from downtown for the Pacers...

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
If there's one thing I've learned about central Indiana, it's that the weather forecasts are about as reliable as a mid-late 90's GM product.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
What TJ said!!

cdash
01-31-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm going to try to make it to the game tonight. I'll be in Broad Ripple until about 6:30 or 6:45, so I'll probably be a little late, but I really want to eat an assload of nachos and watch the new coach in action.

BillS
01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
If there's one thing I've learned about central Indiana, it's that the weather forecasts are about as reliable as a mid-late 90's GM product.

They've been pretty accurate this year, I have to say.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
They've been pretty accurate this year, I have to say.

Fair, but these ice storms never seem to really materialize around here. Last one I really remember that was sort of severe and was just ice seems to be 5 or 6 years ago

mb221
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM

That is VERY true, but if you take a look at the radar you'll see that we are most definitely going to be getting some kind of precipitation. Going to brave it from Greenwood in a 4WD, hopefully the roads are passable after the game!

Speed
01-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Some of my coworkers expressed concern when I asked them to go to the game with me, so it will impact attendance.

Maybe another MB could address any info from the Pacers viewpoint regarding cancellations or postponement.

My solution was to move within walking distance. :)

Calling my realtor now. I hope I have time.

travmil
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm going regardless. If I have to I'll just take the snow routes home and stay off the interstates.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
not to bore anyone to tears. but ice storms are very rare and almost impossible to predict. I few degrees either direction changes everything.

But you know you are in trouble if it is raining at the surface temp is 28 or lower (yes I know 32 is freezing, but for it to freeze on contact it has to be colder than 30 (obviously the colder the worse it will be)

But what makes them rare is that is rarely rains when it is 28 degrees - it should be snowing right. What is unusual is when the temps in the upper atmosphere is a lot warmer than the surface temps - that is the bad combo that happens every few years.

So if raining is coming down that is bad. if sleet or ice crystals that is much better it won't stick to trees and power lines.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to show you I know about other things besides basketball.

Generally the actual road conditions aren't too bad in ice storms - depends on the temps though. If it is 25 vs 31 it makes a huge difference.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm going to try to make it to the game tonight. I'll be in Broad Ripple until about 6:30 or 6:45, so I'll probably be a little late, but I really want to eat an assload of nachos and watch the new coach in action.

LMAO

I can honestly say that is the first time I have ever heard someone describing their meal intentions to "eat an assload"

Priceless :)

graphic-er
01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Supposed to start snowing around 7 tonight, how much snow can come down in 3 hours? Couple inches at most right?

travmil
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Supposed to start snowing around 7 tonight, how much snow can come down in 3 hours? Couple inches at most right?

Back in the brawl season, we went to a game where more than a couple inches fell during the game and it wasn't even snowing when we went in.

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 03:00 PM
I'll be there with at least 4 other people. We're no sissies :)

BillS
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
not to bore anyone to tears. but ice storms are very rare and almost impossible to predict. I few degrees either direction changes everything.

But you know you are in trouble if it is raining at the surface temp is 28 or lower (yes I know 32 is freezing, but for it to freeze on contact it has to be colder than 30 (obviously the colder the worse it will be)

But what makes them rare is that is rarely rains when it is 28 degrees - it should be snowing right. What is unusual is when the temps in the upper atmosphere is a lot warmer than the surface temps - that is the bad combo that happens every few years.

So if raining is coming down that is bad. if sleet or ice crystals that is much better it won't stick to trees and power lines.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to show you I know about other things besides basketball.

Generally the actual road conditions aren't too bad in ice storms - depends on the temps though. If it is 25 vs 31 it makes a huge difference.

The map shows that there is a warm front/cold front junction coming across, which explains the warm upper-air temperatures.

Freezing rain, though, is water that has supercooled, meaning it falls as liquid but freezes as soon as it hits a surface. That isn't quite the same as rain that freezes due to the temperature of the surface.

I can tell you that the airlines are taking it very seriously for tomorrow, at least, because all of my flights out of here to get a connection to the UK have been canceled.

cdash
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
LMAO

I can honestly say that is the first time I have ever heard someone describing their meal intentions to "eat an assload"

Priceless :)

I'm still kind of surprised that the filter didn't edit that :laugh:

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I hope we get the snow, a foot of snow sounds like fun. Ice is boring to me. I mean I put ice in my drinks all the time. Let's get original mother nature.

Step your game and fix your face and stop being such a Stan to my freezer.

travmil
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
I hope we get the snow, a foot of snow sounds like fun. Ice is boring to me. I mean I put ice in my drinks all the time. Let's get original mother nature.

Step your game and fix your face and stop being such a Stan to my freezer.

Ice is just how Mother Nature lives her life now. Let's move on.

PacerPenguins
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Ice is just how Mother Nature lives her life now. Let's move on.

ice gets me out of school for the next 2 days!

duke dynamite
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
We're braving the trek tonight.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll bet Unclebuck 1 million dollars we don't get any ice.

duke dynamite
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
I'll bet Unclebuck 1 million dollars we don't get any ice.
http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dr-evil.jpg

Peck
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Well this totally sucks. It is looking more and more like I am going to be unable to attend tonights game.

D@mn weather and my job.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Peck if we do get nailed tonight, it's people like you that will probably unfortunately get the heaviest amount of work load. God speed if that happens buddy.

Kraft
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
It's been icing and sleeting in central Illinois. Most of the time Indy gets the same weather. Only difference is that the sun may be down, and thus the temperature down, before the front hits.

It's a difficult thing to predict. Nonsense guesses like some of the ones in this thread are silly, though. The Earth is moving around the sun pretty fast. Just a lot of factors involved.

Kraft
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
It's been icing and sleeting in central Illinois. Most of the time Indy gets the same weather. Only difference is that the sun may be down, and thus the temperature down, before the front hits.

It's a difficult thing to predict. Nonsense guesses like some of the ones in this thread are silly, though. The Earth is moving around the sun pretty fast. Just a lot of factors involved.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 04:04 PM

well tell us is it sticking to the trees. is the precip heavy?

able
01-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Bill I have told heathrow they can lower the alarmphase a few nudges, you wont be passing by tomorrow anytime

Where you going this time ?

xIndyFan
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
ice gets me out of school for the next 2 days!

and that after all is the most important thing. :laugh:

Peck
01-31-2011, 05:15 PM
The Ice is already crappy here in West Central Indiana. We are already havine several accidents.

Everybody be careful out there.

Mackey_Rose
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Rain was falling and freezing on contact on my windshield while I drove home today. It wasn't bad yet, but if it keeps up for as long as they are saying, it will be.

Trophy
01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
It strangely got really cold here today and we're looking at snow either tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night.

I don't know if it's moving east, but it's really weird because it was in the 60's yesterday.

Sandman21
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Okay, who said that JoB would get fired at midseason when Hell froze over? :D

Shade
01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
This sucks. I actually got my check today and was planning on getting some tix for tonight, but the weather derailed my plans.

I blame Jim O'Brien.

Shade
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Okay, who said that JoB would get fired at midseason when Hell froze over? :D

That's what I said at lunch today. :laugh:

CableKC
01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow...this snow/ice storm sounds really bad....who'd have thought that a discussion about the weather could create a 2 page thread about it's affect on the game.

All of you should just do what I'm doing and watch the game on TV from my house in 60 degree California. ;)

Just kidding....seriously guys, stay safe out there.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I was close to going, but ultimately decided it wasn't smart.

Speed
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I can't start a game thread, but here's this

Tyler Hansbrough (recovering from pneumonia) to play tonight for Pacers. McRoberts remains starter for now.

http://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/status/32214186780008448 (http://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/status/32214186780008448)

Merz
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Not trying to be an a$$hole or anything, but central Indiana people would never survive in northern Indiana. I remember as a kid in Indianapolis school being canceled after 3-5 inches of snow. Up in LaPorte school was only canceled after at least 12-15 inches fell within a couple hours of school starting. Ice storms barely closed down anything. The only times some places would close early would be in total white-out conditions.

So in other words...I love California.

BPump33
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
The roads were TERRIBLE coming home from the game....I hope everyone gets home safely.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm glad I stayed home. Hate that I couldn't experience that game in person, but it was the right call. Driving home to New Castle would have SUCKED.

ilive4sports
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Wow...this snow/ice storm sounds really bad....who'd have thought that a discussion about the weather could create a 2 page thread about it's affect on the game.

All of you should just do what I'm doing and watch the game on TV from my house in 60 degree California. ;)

Just kidding....seriously guys, stay safe out there.

Don't worry I did the same thing haha

mb221
01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Had no problem heading south on West Street/Bluff Road towards Greenwood.

cdash
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, the drive back from Conseco sucked. 65 was a mess. Couldn't go any more than 30 mph.

BillS
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Not trying to be an a$$hole or anything, but central Indiana people would never survive in northern Indiana. I remember as a kid in Indianapolis school being canceled after 3-5 inches of snow. Up in LaPorte school was only canceled after at least 12-15 inches fell within a couple hours of school starting. Ice storms barely closed down anything. The only times some places would close early would be in total white-out conditions.

I don't remember too many actual ice storms growing up because it was too cold all the way up for the problem to happen. What we called ice storms were generally sleet storms.

When you get a solid layer of ice on the roads, I don't care who you are, you aren't going anywhere without spikes or chains.

pwee31
01-31-2011, 11:01 PM
The news has said this front is going to cover half of the United States, and not just the Midwest and East coast. It's hard to imagine half of the United States experiencing winter weather.

I truly believe the world is coming to an end soon. Maybe not 2012, but it's close

croz24
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
yea hopefully everyone who braved the weather made it home safely!

El Pacero
01-31-2011, 11:26 PM
It was bad, pouring rain on ice and snow, but made it home. Does anyone remember the game last season that had more snow and less people attend? That seems worse to my memory.

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Took a little while to get home but we made it back from the game safe and sound. Glad I didn't miss Coach Vogel's first, of many, wins.

Day-V
02-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't have missed this game for the world. Probably the most fun I've had in awhile. Area 55 was epic tonight.

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2011, 12:18 AM
I did walk and both when I got to the arena and when I got home my winter coat had a layer of frozen rain on it. But inside the big coat all was warm and dry, kinda fun walk apart from almost slipping and breaking my neck 20 times.

Every road downtown was/is covered in an inch or two of ice. Some roads were still melty from traffic but headed toward frozen. People were smart to avoid it.

jeffg-body
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
The news has said this front is going to cover half of the United States, and not just the Midwest and East coast. It's hard to imagine half of the United States experiencing winter weather.

I truly believe the world is coming to an end soon. Maybe not 2012, but it's close

I have noticed that the weather and other climatic events have been happening more and more as we get nearer to 2012. Maybe we are posed to make a run for the title and the end of the world in 2012 screws us out of a title run.

PaceBalls
02-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I have noticed that the weather and other climatic events have been happening more and more as we get nearer to 2012. Maybe we are posed to make a run for the title and the end of the world in 2012 screws us out of a title run.

LOL

Dec 21st, 2012, the Pacers are 26-2... then BAM

GD Mayans.

Hoop
02-01-2011, 01:43 AM
LOL

Dec 21st, 2012, the Pacers are 26-2... then BAM

GD Mayans.
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Hooping/Mayans-EndOfTime2012.gif

presto123
02-01-2011, 01:46 AM
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Hooping/Mayans-EndOfTime2012.gif

LOL! As a Rush fan I'd rather it be 2112.(youngsters won't understand this) Plus I'll be long gone by that point.

Basketball Fan
02-01-2011, 02:03 AM

I grew up in Northern Indiana and this is rather tame but ice storms are no joke either. Usually freezing rain/sleet slushy more than anything and mostly snow.

If anything it was just colder...

BillS
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
almost slipping and breaking my neck 20 times.

Guess you can't have everything :zip:

BPump33
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I did walk and both when I got to the arena and when I got home my winter coat had a layer of frozen rain on it. But inside the big coat all was warm and dry, kinda fun walk apart from almost slipping and breaking my neck 20 times.

Every road downtown was/is covered in an inch or two of ice. Some roads were still melty from traffic but headed toward frozen. People were smart to avoid it.

I bet the turtleneck would have softened the blow. :rimshot:

dohman
02-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Someone said you know something about basketball?

I joke I joke..

imawhat
02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Anyone remember the game in '05-'06 where almost no fans showed up? I passed Tinsley on East St. about 10 minutes before the game; Croshere showed up after halftime, I think, because he was stuck on the roads.

Basketball Fan
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Anyone remember the game in '05-'06 where almost no fans showed up? I passed Tinsley on East St. about 10 minutes before the game; Croshere showed up after halftime, I think, because he was stuck on the roads.

Yep it was the Pacers/Wizards and it was on TNT