PDA

View Full Version : Video up at pacers.com with player reaction to O'Brien

Peck
01-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Here is the link.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/players_react_110131.html

BTW, it was obvious that they did not either warn or consult Danny about this as you can tell how suprised he acts.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I can't get any of the videos to start for some reason.

Sookie
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
And it's clear that we have a bunch of guys that are well equipped in the P.R. department.

Also, lol at DC, he took PR too a new level and didn't say a word about JOB.

Dr. Awesome
01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Wow. It is very clear that Roy Hibbert did not like O'Brien.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
classic Danny and Dun but I like what Roy said

Peck
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
classic Danny and Dun but I like what Roy said

Ha, I just saw your signature. Great.:dance:

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm still shocked that Obie is finally gone. Freaking happy.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree with Dr. Awesome, Roy seems thrilled with the change.

graphic-er
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow Roy Hibbert, way to take accountability.....asked if JOB's firing is partly on the players. He laughed and said its just part of the business. What a stupid response.

sportfireman
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
"It's surreal for me to know that he's gone...." Roy Hibbert.... about 1:30 into his video. I think alot of the players fell this way.

graphic-er
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I thought that it was interesting that Danny thought the assistants were like the intermediaries between the players to the head coach. That tells me that JOB never really talked to his players much. He just told the assistants what he wants.

O'Braindead
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow Roy Hibbert, way to take accountability.....asked if JOB's firing is partly on the players. He laughed and said its just part of the business. What a stupid response.

Why do you bag on Roy Hibbert every single chance you get? It's repetitive and wrong to bash him over every single one of his actions- Not to mention how annoying it is.

flox
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Roy, your excuse for sucking is gone. You are under fire now. Starting tonight. If you don't play better, we all lose.

smj887
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey Roy, your excuse for sucking is gone. You are under fire now. Starting tonight. If you don't play better, we all lose.

When has Roy ever used JOB as an excuse for his poor play? Roy's one of the most straight forward players on the team, if not the league, when it comes to taking responsibility for his play and not making excuses.

flox
01-31-2011, 02:54 PM
When has Roy ever used JOB as an excuse for his poor play? Roy's one of the most straight forward players on the team, if not the league, when it comes to taking responsibility for his play and not making excuses.

I mean, there's no excuse, its the guys on the court, but in terms of getting him fired, it's part of the business

It's on us. It's always on us
Tell me which one sounds more accountable.

Bird said that one of the reasons O'Brien was fired was that Hibbert was struggling and that O'Brien didn't handle it well.

Hibbert has no blame shield now. If he sucks- its now on him. There's no O'Brien to scapegoat.

Tom White
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
I thought that it was interesting that Danny thought the assistants were like the intermediaries between the players to the head coach. That tells me that JOB never really talked to his players much. He just told the assistants what he wants.

I always thought that was part of the assistants' jobs. Sort of a "good cop, bad cop" idea.

graphic-er
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Why do you bag on Roy Hibbert every single chance you get? It's repetitive and wrong to bash him over every single one of his actions- Not to mention how annoying it is.

#1 he has been playing like a sissy, unwilling to challenge alot of shots.
#2 He basically just said, that JOBs firing isn't on him at all. Then says, a positive atmosphere will help him more. So he is basically admitting that he is soft, and coach was too much of a meanie to me. As much as like dislike JOB, I really dislike millionaires complaining that their boss is too mean.

flox
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Oh the irony....

cdash
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh the irony....

:laugh:

For real.

I agree with you that Roy is out of excuses now with O'Brien gone. He's been playing like crap but avoiding the heat for it because O'Brien caught all of it. Now his craptastic play has nothing to hide behind.

O'Braindead
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
#1 he has been playing like a sissy, unwilling to challenge alot of shots.
#2 He basically just said, that JOBs firing isn't on him at all. Then says, a positive atmosphere will help him more. So he is basically admitting that he is soft, and coach was too much of a meanie to me. As much as like dislike JOB, I really dislike millionaires complaining that their boss is too mean.

Did Rik Smits not play with uncertainty and with the "deer and headlights look"? Let me take it a step further- Did Pau Gasol not play like a sissy? I'd say that they are just fine, and the Roy hate is way overblown. The facts are that he has played bad for two whopping months. Two months, not two years, two months.

Is it wrong to say that this was a bad coach and him not being around is good for the team? Is that really wrong? Does that make him soft?

And then you take it to another level with the cop-out excuse that he is a millionaire. I'm not going to open up that can of worms because you are making an attempt to push buttons.

Oh the irony....

I choose not to argue with one over basketball who doesn't understand the simple principles of basketball.

flox
01-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I choose not to argue with one over basketball who doesn't understand the simple principles of basketball.

You put the ball in the hoop?

edit:

I'm not going to open up that can of worms because you are making an attempt to push buttons.

I choose not to argue with one over basketball who doesn't understand the simple principles of basketball

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Maybe he's a 3rd year player having a tough stretch trying to figure it out. Not the first time thats ever happened.

NuffSaid
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow. It is very clear that Roy Hibbert did not like O'Brien.

I agree with Dr. Awesome, Roy seems thrilled with the change.

Bird said that one of the reasons O'Brien was fired was that Hibbert was struggling and that O'Brien didn't handle it well.

Hibbert has no blame shield now. If he sucks- its now on him. There's no O'Brien to scapegoat.
I'm still trying to get the same interpretation from Roy's video interview that you got. I don't see any indication that Roy disliked O'Brien.

Nervous laughter...normal. If anything his response to the question on whose to blame for JOB getting fired was more like, "Hey, wait a minute now. It's not like was lost games on purpose to get him canned." I'd say Roy, if not the entire team, were taken aback by this. Frankly, I think it's great news, but Roy, Granger, Dunleavy and Collison are all correct. No more excuses! It's all on them now.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
It's definitely put up or shut up time for Roy.

His all eyes on me, hands in the air, franchise center act either has to suddenly become a reality or it has to go.

I don't know what will happen yet, but there is no doubt Roy must respond positively to this otherwise he's going to be in trouble.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Did Rik Smits not play with uncertainty and with the "deer and headlights look"?

Naw, that's Danny in crunch time. ;)

graphic-er
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Did Rik Smits not play with uncertainty and with the "deer and headlights look"? Let me take it a step further- Did Pau Gasol not play like a sissy? I'd say that they are just fine, and the Roy hate is way overblown. The facts are that he has played bad for two whopping months. Two months, not two years, two months.

Is it wrong to say that this was a bad coach and him not being around is good for the team? Is that really wrong? Does that make him soft?

And then you take it to another level with the cop-out excuse that he is a millionaire. I'm not going to open up that can of worms because you are making an attempt to push buttons.

Just as Bird say yesterday, the losing isn't all on Jimmy. Its on all of us, the players and management.

Do I think the coach was bad, of course. But its on the players too, you got to be professional. Smirking and laughing over that question of accountability when he his recent play wouldn't even land him in the D-League is a sign of immaturity and being soft.

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
It's definitely put up or shut up time for Roy.

Nah, he's a 3rd year players with another big summer in front of him. He has lots of time. The story on Roy is far from being told.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Nah, he's a 3rd year players with another big summer in front of him. He has lots of time. The story on Roy is far from being told.

Roy anointed himself last summer. Let's be honest, and the way he comes out to intros shows that. Roy seemed like he wanted the pressure then, but ever since oh, mid-December, he has been shrinking from the lime light as much as possible.

If you create the expectations for yourself, like Roy did, you damn well better live up to them.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe he's a 3rd year player having a tough stretch trying to figure it out. Not the first time thats ever happened.

Speed, thank you.

Fellas, Roy is here for the long run, and he's going to be fine.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Why do you guys say that?

What makes you so sure that Roy is something special?

Has he really shown it to us? I mean really, really shown us. He's been "good" for stretches and has had one or two "dominant" games his whole career. He's regressed painfully over the past two months.

This is not a "bad stretch" a bad stretch is a slight drop in production. Roy's production is much worse than that over the past month, it's non-existent.

I'd be willing to bet that on a per minute basis, January was one of the worst months of Roy's entire career.

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Do I think the coach was bad, of course. But its on the players too, you got to be professional. Smirking and laughing over that question of accountability when he his recent play wouldn't even land him in the D-League is a sign of immaturity and being soft.

If anything Roy is too accountable. I don't get it. Ya, he's played bad, really bad, but its a marathon not a sprint. I think all of sudden maybe he's the victim of unrealistic expectation from a few here, but moreso from himself. He's not above criticizm, but man he's never not owned his shortcomings or the teams short comings, ever.

I mean no skin off my nose. I just think its funny that Roy would accused of not taking ownership and being accountable, when I think its completely the opposite.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Has he really shown it to us? I mean really, really shown us. He's been "good" for stretches and has had one or two "dominant" games his whole career. He's regressed painfully over the past two months.

This is not a "bad stretch" a bad stretch is a slight drop in production. Roy's production is much worse than that over the past month, it's non-existent.

He had 20 on 7-12 shooting last game (correction; two games ago).

He's definitely shown it to us. He's fallen into the "Abyss" so to speak, and hopefully he sees the light and is going to get back to his game.

Teams have adjusted on him. He's getting quick doubles, being played with much more physicality, and he's just had a hard time.

Speed
Roy anointed himself last summer. Let's be honest, and the way he comes out to intros shows that. Roy seemed like he wanted the pressure then, but ever since oh, mid-December, he has been shrinking from the lime light as much as possible.

If you create the expectations for yourself, like Roy did, you damn well better live up to them.

I didn't take it as putting himself on a pedastal, I took it as him being him. Not bravado, imo, but the joy of it. He doesn't seem arrogant like that to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Trader Joe
Roy shrinks when he starts to play bad. He is very boisterous and animated when the team is playing well, borderline cocky even. But when things go bad, well he turns into a mouse.

I don't think Roy has trouble taking ownership of his short comings.

I do however think that Roy might be a front runner.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I didn't take it as putting himself on a pedastal, I took it as him being him. Not bravado, imo, but the joy of it. He doesn't seem arrogant like that to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

What was his quote something like "I'm going to come out with my hands up because it's all eyes on me and I want people to know that." or something like that. I definitely think Roy had a very big head coming into the season, and that was fine unfortunately it was full of hot air and apparently his skin wasn't even thick enough to with stand one pin prick.

I completely agree with JOB's short comings, his failures, and that he needed to go, but Roy has gotten off charminy soft from a lot of you. We've had Granger drug through the mud for poor play. Dunleavy. Posey. Foster. Ford. Rush. Heck, even Collison has been berated for his defense, but Roy seems to be above criticism by a lot on here. I don't get it.

Since86
So much for the theory that Jim being let go would calm the board down and give every a few days to catch their breath.........

Speed

I'd be willing to bet that on a per minute basis, January was one of the worst months of Roy's entire career.

I don't even think he's something special, necessarily. I do think he'll maximize whatever he can be. To me, thats pretty rare in today's game. I guess I do think that is special. Reggie did that I believe. Reggie became about as good as his physical tools would allow him to be. I think Roy will do that too.

I'd say that November wasn't how good Roy is now. I'd also say, December/January isn't how bad he is either.

Regardless, I'd bet money, he'll be in the gym working his butt off this summer.

I respect that, regardless of the outcome. I think it's born from his ownership and accountability. I guess thats why I'm arguing this point.

Trader Joe
He had 20 on 7-12 shooting last game (correction; two games ago).

He's definitely shown it to us. He's fallen into the "Abyss" so to speak, and hopefully he sees the light and is going to get back to his game.

Teams have adjusted on him. He's getting quick doubles, being played with much more physicality, and he's just had a hard time.

Yep, he's also throwing up 1-5 stinkers in 20 minutes of play for 2 whole points and no trips to the free throw line. Sucksville.

graphic-er
If anything Roy is too accountable. I don't get it. Ya, he's played bad, really bad, but its a marathon not a sprint. I think all of sudden maybe he's the victim of unrealistic expectation from a few here, but moreso from himself. He's not above criticizm, but man he's never not owned his shortcomings or the teams short comings, ever.

I mean no skin off my nose. I just think its funny that Roy would accused of not taking ownership and being accountable, when I think its completely the opposite.

Hey I like the guy but isn't owning up to his role on this team. He doesn't defend the paint anymore. Does not challenge shots at he basket, will not challenge a dunk. All that is on him. You say the guy is having a rough go of it. I see a player who isn't putting in the effort.

Heck Josh McRoberts will challenge a dunk at the rim. He did so last game and got dunked on something fierce and posterized. Roy Hibbert flinched when Howard when to dunk on him. Just Sayin...

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
What was his quote something like "I'm going to come out with my hands up because it's all eyes on me and I want people to know that." or something like that. I definitely think Roy had a very big head coming into the season, and that was fine unfortunately it was full of hot air and apparently his skin wasn't even thick enough to with stand one pin prick.

I completely agree with JOB's short comings, his failures, and that he needed to go, but Roy has gotten off charminy soft from a lot of you. We've had Granger drug through the mud for poor play. Dunleavy. Posey. Foster. Ford. Rush. Heck, even Collison has been berated for his defense, but Roy seems to be above criticism by a lot on here. I don't get it.

I don't think that Roy has avoided criticism around here at all.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Yep, he's also throwing up 1-5 stinkers in 20 minutes of play for 2 whole points and no trips to the free throw line. Sucksville.

That's just part of it when we are a part of a 17 win team though. Good teams know how to mask our offense.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't even think he's something special, necessarily. I do think he'll maximize whatever he can be. To me, thats pretty rare in today's game. I guess I do think that is special. Reggie did that I believe. Reggie became about as good as his physical tools would allow him to be. I think Roy will do that too.

I'd say that November wasn't how good Roy is now. I'd also say, December/January isn't how bad he is either.

Regardless, I'd bet money, he'll be in the gym working his butt off this summer.

I respect that, regardless of the outcome. I think it's born from his ownership and accountability. I guess thats why I'm arguing this point.

Yes, Roy is accountable. That's not my point.

He also strikes me as a bit of a front runner though. Meaning, if his team is really good Roy will be fully mentally there, if his team is playing poorly Roy can check out when he's on the court. Almost like he can't handle it.

Roy says and does the right things off the court, on it, I dunno, I'm not sold yet. He bothers me with the way he handles himself when things go poorly.

He also seems like he's easily influenced, now he's going to put weight back on, right after he took it off. That makes literally zero sense.

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:27 PM

You take that as a big head, I take it as ownership and accountability. Stepping up to the challenge. Takes guts to put yourself out there, like that. To me, he needs to get back to that swagger. If not, go back in the lab and outwork the next guy.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:28 PM
That's just part of it when we are a part of a 17 win team though. Good teams know how to mask our offense.

That's a lot worse than your offense being masked. That's flat out sucking. Going 1/5 is one thing (miserable definitely), but not drawing a single free throw all night as the 7'2" center? What up with that?

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
You take that as a big head, I take it as ownership and accountability. Stepping up to the challenge. Takes guts to put yourself out there, like that. To me, he needs to get back to that swagger. If not, go back in the lab and outwork the next guy.

We'll see. Personally, I've been seriously disturbed by the mental stability of Roy and our training staff ever since I heard he's going to be downing Big Macs and biggie fries to put his weight back on.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
That's a lot worse than your offense being masked. That's flat out sucking. Going 1/5 is one thing (miserable definitely), but not drawing a single free throw all night as the 7'2" center? What up with that?

yeah, that's true. We'll just have to wait and see when he figures it out.

Since86
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Is it really that bad to just take a step back and let the dust settle before expecting results?

It's foolish to think that the switch is going to automatically produce results from the beginning.

Let's get somethings straightened out.

1. Lance isn't going to just be handed playing time at the first opportunity.
2. Posey/Foster/Duleavy will probably all see some time on the court to begin with, and if they do make a move out of the rotation, it will probably be a gradual process.
3. Roy isn't going to suddenly start playing like he did in Nov/Dec. There's going to be an adjustment period for him and......
4. The whole team is going to need to have an adjustment period.

Whenever changes are made, there is a down period. Orlando lost their first 3 games after their trades. Miami struggled early on, the coach and his players needed time to get comfortable with each other, etc.

All the results aren't going to be squarely on Roy. For all we know, Frank thinks less of Roy than Jim did. Vogel could (doubt it) put Roy on the inactive list, for all we know. He could also view Roy as the 5th piece, and put the offense around everyone else. He could also go to the extreme and center everything around Roy.

He could play 4 guards and Roy, which would lead to Roy struggling.

There are a lot of different scenarios, with different levels of plausibility, that could happen.

Let's step back and give the team some time before we start drawing our lines in the sand. Hopefully this is a good move for Roy, but it doesn't guarantee it.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
yeah, that's true. We'll just have to wait and see when he figures it out.

Say what you want about Danny, and he is flat out not the same player he was 2 years ago, but even when his shot is in the dumpster he has the attitude that he will at least try and create something come hell or high water. Roy does not do that, and seemingly does not express the desire to do that when he gets the ball.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Is it really that bad to just take a step back and let the dust settle before expecting results?

I'm not saying Roy's change needs to be instantaneous, I'm just saying I'd like to see completely different body language from Roy Hibbert by the end of this season or at least a significant trend towards the positive in that direction. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes, Roy is accountable. That's not my point.

He also strikes me as a bit of a front runner though. Meaning, if his team is really good Roy will be fully mentally there, if his team is playing poorly Roy can check out when he's on the court. Almost like he can't handle it.

Roy says and does the right things off the court, on it, I dunno, I'm not sold yet. He bothers me with the way he handles himself when things go poorly.

He also seems like he's easily influenced, now he's going to put weight back on, right after he took it off. That makes literally zero sense.

I see your point, absolutely. I would have a problem with handling losing badly if he was throwing guys under the bus. Instead he's throwing himself under the bus, I think. Back to what I was saying about being too accountable.

As for easily influenced, I think he's just looking for answers because he's stumped. Someone suggests a tangible idea of putting on weight, he's on board. I mean, if we tweeted him and said a ham sandwich at 1 as a pre game meal would help him, he'd probably try that. I would too. If you think what you're doing now isn't working.

My point is, its a process, he went from a barely coordinated, Asthma breathing, overweight college player to averaging 18 and 10 after working his butt off. Fools gold, absolutely. NO one on here or anywhere expected that from him this year, if ever.

Again he's a 3rd year guy, who's already better than I ever imagined, when they drafted him. I think if we have this conversation in 3 years, then I'll just have to concede. For now, though I think he'll get it worked out or at least still has plenty of time to.

It's a good argument, I share the frustration, every time he misses a shot that he took off balance and didn't have to. Every pick and roll that gives up a wide open shot or dunk. It's tough, no doubt.

flox
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
We'll see. Personally, I've been seriously disturbed by the mental stability of Roy and our training staff ever since I heard he's going to be downing Big Macs and biggie fries to put his weight back on.

I think that his attempt to put back weight is misguided...

RWB
01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Say what you want about Danny, and he is flat out not the same player he was 2 years ago, but even when his shot is in the dumpster he has the attitude that he will at least try and create something come hell or high water. Roy does not do that, and seemingly does not express the desire to do that when he gets the ball.

If Roy would only learn to pass. :rolleyes:

cdash
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Yeah I agree. I think he is just kind of panicking a little. He seems to have a little bit of anxiety about this stuff. Trying too hard to correct the problem instead of letting the game come to him.

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey I like the guy but isn't owning up to his role on this team. He doesn't defend the paint anymore. Does not challenge shots at he basket, will not challenge a dunk. All that is on him. You say the guy is having a rough go of it. I see a player who isn't putting in the effort.

Heck Josh McRoberts will challenge a dunk at the rim. He did so last game and got dunked on something fierce and posterized. Roy Hibbert flinched when Howard when to dunk on him. Just Sayin...

I just don't see the effort thing, maybe it is. I guess I give him a pass because I don't think it's that he's dogging it, I think it's because he's discouraged.

I just want to say, I feel like I am condoning coddling Roy. Thats not the case. I think Roy has to get this thing worked out in his mind as much or moreso as the physical part. It may very well be the thing that keeps him from truely realizing his potential, if he doesn't.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
If Roy would only learn to pass. :rolleyes:

Not my point at all, but if you want Roy to pass the ball every time he gets it then you must have loved watching the Pacers this past month, because that is all he really did. He needs to show some aggressiveness when things aren't going well. Throw his body around a little. Create some contact. Force the action. Roy is too passive.

BillS
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM

I think they just want him to allow some weight to come back naturally.

Trophy
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Everyone sounds pretty happy and will work well under Frank.

Since86
01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not saying Roy's change needs to be instantaneous, I'm just saying I'd like to see completely different body language from Roy Hibbert by the end of this season or at least a significant trend towards the positive in that direction. I don't think that is too much to ask.

You're right, but you're also expecting him to do it all at once.

Getting 5 blocks in a game shouldn't be thrown away like they're insignificant. They shouldn't be touted as evidence he's the greatest either.

Did Roy play well in Chicago? Not really, but he did do somethings well.

It's going to be a process. Roy's attitude does need to get better. But to say he's production has to get better, or it's all on Roy isn't realistic. There are a lot of different senarios that could play out, that could lead to even worse production from Roy, or he could return to Nov/Dec form.

We're going to need to wait and see what changes are made, and how Roy responds, before we start heaving criticism on Roy.

There shouldn't be a problem with actually letting things play out at first, before everyone trenches themselves in on a position.

Roy has some work to do, no doubt about it. So does Danny, so does DC, so does Vogel. Let's give them some time to adjust.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

flox
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I think they just want him to allow some weight to come back naturally.

Maybe, but I feel like in today's NBA, I'd rather have a leaner, speedier Roy Hibbert rather than a slower, bulkier Roy. The weight wouldn't help.

BillS
01-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Maybe, but I feel like in today's NBA, I'd rather have a leaner, speedier Roy Hibbert rather than a slower, bulkier Roy. The weight wouldn't help.

As I've said before, just weight may not, but a little weight in the right places that allows him to hold position or get better leverage (i.e. weight in legs and muscles in the trunk) will help a lot.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
As I've said before, just weight may not, but a little weight in the right places that allows him to hold position or get better leverage (i.e. weight in legs and muscles in the trunk) will help a lot.

If I was hearing "I'll be focusing on my core strength" or "I'll be focusing on strength in my legs to gain leverage" I'd be a lot better with it, but I'm hearing "I need to eat more cheeseburgers"

DemonHunter1105
01-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I am sorry but you guys just made this thread very hard to read with all of the negativity surrounding your opinions of Roy.

Yes, he has sucked. But right now I feel like you guys will not be happy unless he puts up 20 pts and 12 reb minimum every game.

It is obvious that if he is playing well we are a tough team. But you can't put all of the pressure on him before he has even played one game under Vogel.

I don't want to point any fingers but some of your guys' negativity towards players dumbfounds me. Rush has a low scoring game = let's trade him. Dunleavy missed a 3 = never play him again. Danny misses a difficult shot as the shot clock expires = he is a chucker.

I'll be honest, there are certain players I prefer over others, but you do not have to be so critical over each mistake they make.

I'll just be happy to watch the young guys play, and hopefully get some Ws while were at it.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd be content to see him consistently shoot 50% from the field. Even if he's only putting up 10 and 8. I think that would be a very nice little change. I'd be perfectly content with that.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 04:03 PM
No, it was a beautiful response. It's mostly on O'Brien. That's why he got fired.

Actually, it was a pretty lame-@ss question that the reporter kept asking each player.

Since86
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
If I was hearing "I'll be focusing on my core strength" or "I'll be focusing on strength in my legs to gain leverage" I'd be a lot better with it, but I'm hearing "I need to eat more cheeseburgers"

Like I said the other day in the thread discussing his weight gain.

No one say's "I need to gain weight, I'll eat more lima beans." Eating unheathy foods, like fast food, is simply bringing in more calories than what your body "needs" to maintain weight. They call it "healthy" food for a reason.

Once that cheeseburger enters your digestive system, your body doesn't know the difference between a 1/2lb cheeseburger from 1/2lb of lima beans.

I don't want Roy to put on 20lbs either, but they said he got down to like 6% body fat. That's unreal for a man his size. Him adding 10lbs is going to take his body comp. from 6% to like 10%. Not a big deal.

wintermute
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Just to be clear regarding Hibbert's weight gain plan:

"I talked to (strength and conditioning coach) Shawn Windle, and he said I need to start drinking a lot of protein shakes and eat more throughout the day," Hibbert said. "I had been trying to eat healthy the whole year, but he said I can mix in some bad food sometimes, too, just to put some more weight on."

"The lack of weight has impacted my lift and strength this season," Hibbert said. "Sometimes I have good games. Sometimes I have bad games. This is like a new body for me."

"I know it's going to be a challenge, but it's worth a shot," Hibbert said. "I think it'll help me."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110127/SPORTS04/101270407/Hibbert-needs-bulk-up

I only put in the direct quotes from Roy because I think Wells editorialized a bit too much in that article (surprise, surprise). It's not quite the same as Roy going on a cheeseburger binge.

For the record, I think being more mobile should be Hibbert's goal. On the other hand, it's his body which he must know better than anyone else. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 04:50 PM
You're right, but you're also expecting him to do it all at once.

Getting 5 blocks in a game shouldn't be thrown away like they're insignificant. They shouldn't be touted as evidence he's the greatest either.

Did Roy play well in Chicago? Not really, but he did do somethings well.

It's going to be a process. Roy's attitude does need to get better. But to say he's production has to get better, or it's all on Roy isn't realistic. There are a lot of different senarios that could play out, that could lead to even worse production from Roy, or he could return to Nov/Dec form.

We're going to need to wait and see what changes are made, and how Roy responds, before we start heaving criticism on Roy.

There shouldn't be a problem with actually letting things play out at first, before everyone trenches themselves in on a position.

Roy has some work to do, no doubt about it. So does Danny, so does DC, so does Vogel. Let's give them some time to adjust.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

I agree 100% with this whole post, but mostly with the bolded part. That's probably the part about PD that really annoys me the most. It seems like people are so quick to want to take a stance on something, just so they can say "I told you so" or "I called it", if that stance proves to be right. Very rarely do you actually see people around here actually admit that they were wrong about something, or even more rare that you'll see people on here just let things start to happen before taking a definitive stance about something. It's like Chris Rock says in "Dogma",

"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate."

It's ok to change your mind. It's ok to admit that you were wrong about something (although that seems like an impossibility for some members here). It's just a lot harder to do that when you anchor yourself to a stance and won't let it go (much like Jim O'Brien did with his coaching style :) ).

hoopsforlife
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
You know Roy may still play badly some nights, however, the difference is now the coach will not be going on post game TV and telling the whole world how bad he is. This change in coaching is going to do wonders for Roy and the rest of the team. I think Josh's game is going to benefit greatly and it will show starting tonight. Paul George can be free to play the kind of basketball he knows again. Danny Granger will have a totally different attitude tonight and it will show.

This one move (firing the coach) is going to usher in a whole new attitude from the top down. The fun is going to return to the game for these guys and now their true talent will be revealed.

For better or worse, we as fans, will finally know what the Pacers truly are.

docpaul
01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah I agree. I think he is just kind of panicking a little. He seems to have a little bit of anxiety about this stuff. Trying too hard to correct the problem instead of letting the game come to him.

Well, when you've worked your ***** off all offseason, come in with confidence, and then have your coach call you out, it does likely raise some self doubt. I bet it makes him think that perhaps it's not possible for him to be the baller he wants to be.

Isn't the whole point of coaching to take someone who's done the work and provide them with the fundamentals and support they need to succeed?

I was totally up and willing to give JOB another chance at the start of this season, and 10 games in, I was ecstatic at the team's mojo/attitude, and even went so far as to give him part of the credit for it.

But then he conceived a whole series of bone-headed moves which certainly didn't help.

You tell me: how is berating Hibbert publicly conceivably helpful to winning games and instilling confidence in a young team? Do you think that Hibbert is a lazy person?

docpaul
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I'll go even a step further... I believe some of JOB's behavior was classic deflection... when did we see him take responsibility for poor performance?

I'd talk to a lot of the Pacers top marketing folks this year, and I'd always ask them: "why is this guy still coaching this team?", and they'd respond: "we can't figure it out, to be honest." They saw what we saw: nonsensical benching of AJ Price, Hansbrough at the start of the year, playing an expiring contract that's not a part of the future core an inordinate amount of time, playing with young players confidence, etc etc.

I mean, come on. :) That was all wrapped in a package of acerbic unwillingness to own up to his own shortcomings. You should *never* have a coach come out and blame the record on poor player substrate. That just smacks of someone who thinks his farts don't smell.

I dunno, I'm now purged of my evil spirits. :)