PDA

View Full Version : Vogel "Lance won't be active yet"

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
He said on the radio show that Lance won't be active yet and that there is not going to be that many changes in the rotations.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
FIRE VOGEL!!!!

90'sNBARocked
just posted that

that sux, brings my excitment for tonights game down a little

90'sNBARocked
I wonder if Vogel and Jim will text each other the rest of the season

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
just posted that

Yep I feel the same way, I really hope we don't get to see Posey tonight.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
No comment

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
We also saw a tweet today that said whoever Vogel had on the second team was "interesting"...

And who cares either way?

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Yep I feel the same way, I really hope we don't get to see Posey tonight.

I see tonights inactive as

Rush, Solo, and Lance

Speed
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Is Tyler active?

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
No comment

LOL

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Is Tyler active?

He is not inactive, but hasnt been said if he will play tonight (pneumonia)

Tom White
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
He said on the radio show that Lance won't be active yet and that there is not going to be that many changes in the rotations.

To be fair, he did say that he has spoken with each player and that some of them will not be playing as much as they had been. I take as an indication of changes in the rotation.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
To be fair, he did say that he has spoken with each player and that some of them will not be playing as much as they had been. I take as an indication of changes in the rotation.

Tom,

In your opinion who do you see as "not playing as much"

Dun or Posey maybe?

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
I wasn't expecting to see Lance right away. I do now think that he will get some PT before the All-Star break though.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
We are playing the Raps he should at least dress and if it is a blow out he could get some burn

xIndyFan
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
wouldn't be surprised to see lance get some play on the road first. trying to get used to being on the court before making his home debut as it were.

BillS
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Damn, crapping on the interim coach less than 24 hours in because the 40th pick isn't immediately getting playing time. Man, you guys are harsh.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
It is important to note: the pacers did not practice yesterday at all. No shootaround no meeting, nothing.

Today is the first day for whatever they are doing. meaning there will not nor can there be significant changes before tonight.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Damn, crapping on the interim coach less than 24 hours in because the 40th pick isn't immediately getting playing time. Man, you guys are harsh.

and your redundant

mad because Jim is gone so you need to find a new man to defend

As much as ripping Jim got old to you, so is this rhetoric to all of us

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
I expect to see Roy Hibbert playing point guard and Darren Collison at center, any changes that are not that drastic are completely unacceptable.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I expect to see Roy Hibbert playing point guard and Darren Collison at center, any changes that are not that drastic are completely unacceptable.
It wasn't uncommon for JOB to have Roy at the top of the 3 point line throwing a pass to DC for the layup.

How about some real changes?

;)

Tom White
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Tom,

In your opinion who do you see as "not playing as much"

Dun or Posey maybe?

Given what Bird has said about Hansbrough, I would guess that when Hans is healthy we will see more of he and Josh, and less of Posey at PF. Perhaps even less of Foster? I wonder about Rush if he shows signs of being inconsistent.

Has Bird ever commented on TJ, at all?

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Given what Bird has said about Hansbrough, I would guess that when Hans is healthy we will see more of he and Josh, and less of Posey at PF. Perhaps even less of Foster? I wonder about Rush if he shows signs of being inconsistent.

Not that I can recall other than he is a professional

Hicks
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
It is important to note: the pacers did not practice yesterday at all. No shootaround no meeting, nothing.

Today is the first day for whatever they are doing. meaning there will not nor can there be significant changes before tonight.

There was a shootaround, I believe.

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
There was a shootaround, I believe.

Today, yes. Yesterday, nothing.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
My bad; glanced over 'yesterday'.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Today, yes. Yesterday, nothing.

Stupid bull riding :laugh:

flox
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Not surprising in the slightest.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
What up Flox?

How you doin today buddy

Eindar
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM

Which rotation is not going to change? Last I checked, we've had about 40.

Sookie
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Is it really that shocking? He hasn't played a minute all season and Vogel just got the job yesterday. And, even though Larry mentioned wanting to see Lance, the Pacers might still want to wait until after his court appearance.

I think, essentially, he's simply going to give the PF minutes to Tyler and Josh, and maybe play PG more. That'll probably be the biggest change we'll see for a while.

flox
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
What up Flox?

How you doin today buddy

I've been sick all weekend. And I have deadlines for papers that I'm missing. And my 2nd favorite coach in the league got fired.

All in all, not too bad.

But to be on topic, I think Vogel won't rock the boat other than whatever is mandated to him by the higher ups. To me, Vogel is someone you more easily mandate to than a coach like O'Brien.

BillS
and your redundant

Why, thanks for pointing out my shallowness and petty grudges. It's a breakthrough in my therapy, I'm going through boxes of tissues right now...

Why is it just rhetoric? You can't possibly be telling me that some of the reactions to the idea that Vogel won't get Lance into a game immediately are at all fair. Give the guy a chance, for crying out loud, and also accept that Lance Stephenson is not the hidden savior of the Indiana Pacers. Vogel said he'll get his time, just not right away.

Once again, for some people it seems it isn't about getting a "better" coach, it is about getting a coach "who does exactly what I want and nothing else".

90'sNBARocked
Is it really that shocking? He hasn't played a minute all season and Vogel just got the job yesterday. And, even though Larry mentioned wanting to see Lance, the Pacers might still want to wait until after his court appearance.

I think, essentially, he's simply going to give the PF minutes to Tyler and Josh, and maybe play PG more. That'll probably be the biggest change we'll see for a while.

again with the "court appearance theory" ?

Sookie
01-31-2011, 01:24 PM
again with the "court appearance theory" ?

Look, if Lance plays well and then is found guilty. The Pacers have a problem.

Also, it's possible that if Lance plays before going to court, he might get some boos from the home crowd, which is not good for a rookie.

Regardless, the safer bet is to get the court stuff out of the way before playing time.

Truly, I do think it's more of a "he hasn't played a minute, and the new coach hasn't even held a practice yet" thing..I'd guess Vogel doesn't really know how to fit him into the lineup.

Speed
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM

I don't think so. I think like every trade deadline, they'll try to move him, if it's at all possible.

Interesting thing that I'd like to see is, if Melo doesn't go to NY, I've read somewhere that Donnie would move Randolph for expiring vets who could help them now, instead of a #1 pick.

I'm thinking Randolph will be a Pacer by 2/24 regardless of what happens.

TJ would be a nice pick up for them for a playoff run.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM

I think you are overreacting.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Guess we'll know where things stand in about 3 weeks. Feb. 24 is the trade deadline, then the very next day is Lance's court date.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Guess we'll know where things stand in about 3 weeks. Feb. 24 is the trade deadline, then the very next day is Lance's court date.

I bet the court date simply gets extended until the summer.

Peck
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
BTW, am I the only person who thinks that the player who might be playing less is Danny Granger?

No, not like 20 min. less a game or anything but I think they would like to get him down to around 34-36 min. a game. Actually that number is off the top of my head as I have no idea what Danny actaully avg. per game and I'm to lazy to go look right now.

I just pray that we see less of Danny at the four.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I bet the court date simply gets extended until the summer.

I think it will get dismised

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Why, thanks for pointing out my shallowness and petty grudges. It's a breakthrough in my therapy, I'm going through boxes of tissues right now...

Why is it just rhetoric? You can't possibly be telling me that some of the reactions to the idea that Vogel won't get Lance into a game immediately are at all fair. Give the guy a chance, for crying out loud, and also accept that Lance Stephenson is not the hidden savior of the Indiana Pacers. Vogel said he'll get his time, just not right away.

Once again, for some people it seems it isn't about getting a "better" coach, it is about getting a coach "who does exactly what I want and nothing else".

No worries my friend, wasn't trying to be to rude

Vogel is a stop gap at best, no concern to me

Tom White
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Talk about a sense of timing.

Bird Fan
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I want to see less time for Posey and Foster, and more time from Hibbert, Tyler and Josh.

I foresee Vogel playing Hibbert more, especially in the 4th. After JOB was ejected Saturday night, the first thing that Vogel did was put Roy in.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Look, if Lance plays well and then is found guilty. The Pacers have a problem.

Also, it's possible that if Lance plays before going to court, he might get some boos from the home crowd, which is not good for a rookie.

Regardless, the safer bet is to get the court stuff out of the way before playing time.

Truly, I do think it's more of a "he hasn't played a minute, and the new coach hasn't even held a practice yet" thing..I'd guess Vogel doesn't really know how to fit him into the lineup.

I disagree

Lance provides hope for the fans (whether its warranted or not is debatable)

The "risk" you are referring to was already taken the moment they decided to keep Lance after the initial charge

I also doubt that Bird would mention Lance 2 times by name in the press conference , about wanting to see him get some time, only to be worried about playing Lance prior to the outcome of the courts

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 02:06 PM
BTW, am I the only person who thinks that the player who might be playing less is Danny Granger?

No, not like 20 min. less a game or anything but I think they would like to get him down to around 34-36 min. a game. Actually that number is off the top of my head as I have no idea what Danny actaully avg. per game and I'm to lazy to go look right now.

I just pray that we see less of Danny at the four.

Probably at first - maybe the first 8 - 10 games, and then after that I think Vogel will do as any coach would do rely on his best player to try and get some wins.

daschysta
01-31-2011, 02:07 PM
and your redundant

Bills is right, it's more reasonable to give the interim coach a chance before you rip right into him...

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Kravitz on JMV

said

"I stick by what I wrote" (referring to Simon 's call to fire Jim, not LB)

Since86
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Bills is right, it's more reasonable to give the interim coach a chance before you rip right into him...

Yeah. Vogel has been on the job for less than 24hrs. Let's actually let him sit down and catch his breath before we start grading his job performance.

There's zero reason to think Lance would play tonight, considering they haven't even had time to practice. Vogel's first priority is to get some stability in the lockerroom. Then he can start making some bigger changes, but he needs to be a steadying force right now. He doesn't/shouldn't need to be making waves.

Anthem
01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
and your redundant

If I could "unthank" a post, I'd unthank this one.

Totally unnecessary and unhelpful.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Kravitz on JMV

said

"I stick by what I wrote" (referring to Simon 's call to fire Jim, not LB)

DD is on right now, JMV is on at 3:00pm

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
DD is on right now, JMV is on at 3:00pm

he say everything on 1070 the fan is JVM

he said Vogel is on with JMV right now at 11:30 lol

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah. Vogel has been on the job for less than 24hrs. Let's actually let him sit down and catch his breath before we start grading his job performance.

There's zero reason to think Lance would play tonight, considering they haven't even had time to practice. Vogel's first priority is to get some stability in the lockerroom. Then he can start making some bigger changes, but he needs to be a steadying force right now. He doesn't/shouldn't need to be making waves.

Who is ripping him over Lance? Anyone?

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Which posts are crapping on the coach? I mean that earnestly. I don't see any that do and I don't see any harsh comments. I took the immediate "Fire Vogel" post as a joke - maybe I am wrong about that. Other than that, I see a couple of people who said they are less excited about tonight because Lance won't be active. That says to me that they personally are really anxious to see Lance play and they thought they might right away based on the coaching change and Bird's comments from yesterday, not that they have slammed Vogel. If any disagreement or disappointment with a coach's or the organization's decision is seen as "crapping on the coach," that is absurd. Various fans will always have their own favorite players who they'd like to see play more and have bigger roles on the team. There's nothing wrong with discussing that.

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 02:41 PM

I hadn't seen your post when I posted the one above yours. Obviously, I have the same question.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Nobody is doing that, the funny part is that he got thanked like 12 times for something that didn't happen.

Since86
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM

When did I say someone was "ripping" him. I said let's give him some more time before we "grade" his job performance. I didn't realize that "rip" and "grade" were so closely related.......

But I'm talking about this:

just posted that

No one should have expected Lance to play tonight.

EDIT: We have 4 threads talking about what people expect Vogel to do, what his starting lineups will be, who is his favorite author, and at what age he lost his virginity in less than 24hrs.

We don't know anything about Vogel, other than what he said in a 5min press conference and a couple of questions from the Indy media.

I'm not saying let's wait until the offseason before we judge him, but atleast give him a week so he will have a couple of days practice, and a couple of games to work and show us what he's gonna do. You have nothing to base your predictions on other than a 5minute interview and a couple of questions.

Let's slow down a moment.

Really?
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Pretty sure that he knows he can't do the same thing as O'brien, by the end of the month we should have a good idea of his set rotations.

on that note, it will be interesting to see how Lance's game has matured since summer league and preseason.

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
When did I say someone was "ripping" him. I said let's give him some more time before we "grade" his job performance. I didn't realize that "rip" and "grade" were so closely related.......

I should have quoted BillS but I clearly agree that no one should have expected Lance to play tonight. Or anytime soon for that matter.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM

So because we wanted to see lance tonight we are ripping the coach? I don't get it.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't expect Lance to play at all this season.

flox
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Even if we are out of playoff contention? I think Bird would force the coach to play Lance then...

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM

It wasn't you. It was the Bill S. post that I quoted in my post #53 below. Not that it's a huge deal, I just wanted to ask about it because I don't see this thread in the same way.

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM

We actually agree on something.

Maybe the first time since I joined the board.

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 02:54 PM

I could see that except that I'm pretty sure that Bird said in the press conference yesterday that he wants to see Lance play this season. Am I remembering that incorrectly or do you have some other reason for thinking he won't play?

Since86
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

That is what Bill said.

He said basically what I said, just with a little more sarcasm. Let's relax a tad bit.

We've been arguing for so long, I think it might have become routine. A couple of days to unwind is needed.

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
This part of Mike Wells' story today makes me see why fans might expect Stephenson to play soon. It may not turn out that way, but it sure sounds like he will play:

The team's youth movement will also continue.

Bird would like to see rookie Paul George get more minutes at shooting guard and small forward and for fellow rookie Lance Stephenson to finally play in a game.

"I think a lot of times the young guys are going to be the ones that help you win the most," Vogel said. "I can't play all 15 guys. That's one of the challenges of being a head coach.

"'I think our fans should be excited. This is going to be an exciting part of the second half of the year."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011101310314

Speed
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM

Still, even now?

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM

Vogel disagrees with you, he said that the plan is to give Lance playing time but he is not playing today because he didn't wanted to mess with the line up and his goal is to win the game tonight.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM

I understand but , I know what Bill is doing

He is keeping the Obie defense alive by now putting Vogel on his back

I think he enjoys this banter very much

I dont believe anyone is already ""ganging up" on Vogel yet

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
If I could "unthank" a post, I'd unthank this one.

Totally unnecessary and unhelpful.

duly noted

However I disagree with you.

I think Bill is now taking up the cause of thinking he has to protect/defend Vogel, as he did with Jim

My response was I didnt think his was warranted because I dont see anyone bashing Vogel yet

JMHO

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 03:42 PM

EDIT: We have 4 threads talking about what people expect Vogel to do, what his starting lineups will be, who is his favorite author, and at what age he lost his virginity in less than 24hrs.

We don't know anything about Vogel, other than what he said in a 5min press conference and a couple of questions from the Indy media.

I'm not saying let's wait until the offseason before we judge him, but at least give him a week so he will have a couple of days practice, and a couple of games to work and show us what he's gonna do. You have nothing to base your predictions on other than a 5minute interview and a couple of questions.

Let's slow down a moment.

I feel ya bro

I didnt expect Lance to play, was just hoping for it.

so my point was not to say I think Lance should play, but was disappointed that he wont play tonight

didnt say it was the wrong call

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Is it that you don't expect to see Lance play this season or that you dont want to see Lance play this season?

I think its the latter, but dont want to speak for you

Again, I highly doubt that Bird would mention Lance , by name, getting playing time , only for him not to play

JMHO

Trophy
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I think it's good to not immediately rush players into rotations.

Frank will probably look at some of the better players that have played already this year and evaluate who should be playing or not.

BillS
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I understand but , I know what Bill is doing

He is keeping the Obie defense alive by now putting Vogel on his back

I think he enjoys this banter very much

I dont believe anyone is already ""ganging up" on Vogel yet

I defend against unreasonable, and even a sarcastic "Fire" comment and people expressing that their interest is no longer high because of a statement less than 24 hours into the job is unreasonable.

Yeah, my own comment was sarcastic at a certain level, but for crying out loud...

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I defend against unreasonable, and even a sarcastic "Fire" comment and people expressing that their interest is no longer high because of a statement less than 24 hours into the job is unreasonable.

Yeah, my own comment was sarcastic at a certain level, but for crying out loud...

I agree Bill, people do take it too serious

I just thought you went off , and I didnt see anyone screaming fire Vogel

If they did you were right

I mean I had someone point out to me , in front of the whole board,

"If they could unthank my post they would" and it was useless and not needed

Thought that was over the top, but oh well

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I defend against unreasonable, and even a sarcastic "Fire" comment
If Bird had stopped defending against Fire comments a year ago, the following would be lots better off:

Larry Bird
Jim O'Brien
Mr. Simon
All the players except Posey and Dun
Pacers Staff
The fans
The city of Indianapolis
The supply of Grecian Formula

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Anything's possible, but how dumb would a guy be to not play Lance when the boss said on national TV, twice, that he wanted to see Lance play?

And it was one of the reasons the previous coach got canned.

Doddage
01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
The supply of Grecian Formula
:D

Pacerfan
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
He probably wants Lance to get some practice in with the players he will be playing with before he throws him out there.

spreedom
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
and your redundant

Opposite of Thanks.

pacers74
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Let's just calm down a bit and see how this plays out. We did just get rid of JOB. Even if Vogel isn't our savior he will be a fresh change. If he doesn't make us do a 180 and play like we did in the begginning of the season at least he is the interm coach and Bird or whoever is in our front office this offseason can find us a coach who can help us. there are plenty of NBA head coaches who are out of jobs right now that would love to come here.

As for Vogel, I bet in a couple of weeks he will have his rotation down and then he can see if there is a spot for at least a few minutes for Lance. Frank needs to get a rotation where the guys know who is starting and who is the first big, wing, and point off of the bench. After that then Lance will be on his radar to get some pt.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Opposite of Thanks.

OK, if thats directed to me

Then opposite of "like You"

PaceBalls
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Vogel disagrees with you, he said that the plan is to give Lance playing time but he is not playing today because he didn't wanted to mess with the line up and his goal is to win the game tonight.

Yea,
Pretty much.. I think the only time we are going to see Lance is when the goal is no longer to win the game. As in a blow out, or closer to the end of the season after all hope of a playoff spot is gone.

I think it would be very hard for the new coach to have any trust in Lance during winning time.

I must say I am intrigued to whether he has learned anything about defensive rotations yet. He was so very bad in his last showing in the preseaon, when Jim started him just to show everyone how bad he was so there would be less whining about him getting DNP-CDs all year.

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM

But a sarcastic "Fire" comment less than a day in Vogel's tenure is actually likely to be poking fun at those who are quick to criticize a new coach, isn't it? It seems to me to be the opposite of actually criticizing the coach.

speakout4
01-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Anything's possible, but how dumb would a guy be to not play Lance when the boss said on national TV, twice, that he wanted to see Lance play?

And it was one of the reasons the previous coach got canned.
I doubt that. Lance not playing seems to be a team decision and likely related to his court appearance. Lance will play and if LB wanted that so much he could easily have asked Jim to give him minutes to see how he responded to nba level play.
There were so many issues with Jim but Lance wasn't one.

BlueNGold
01-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Lance is not playing until his legal issue is resolved.

With all due respect, I wonder why this is even being discussed. Why is this concept that "you don't play the alleged felon tell he's been cleared because of recent Pacer history" so unbelievably difficult for people to understand?

This is one of the easiest decisions to make. The fact Bird says he wants to see Lance play is both the truth and also intended to keep things positive. Bird knows Lance isn't going to play. The fact he wants to see him play is a different issue.

Seriously, Vogel was coaching like a human being instead of some alien for Mars this evening. Finally I see sanity on the sideline and I think people here have gone mad from Jim's idiocy. Now we have the coach making sense, let's all get a clue on Lance's situation. He's not playing until his legal issues are resolved. There is very little to lose and a lot to gain by sitting him for awhile.

Hicks
02-01-2011, 12:12 AM
The concept is easy to understand, but that doesn't mean I automatically assume that is what's going on. It seems that way, but we still have 3 weeks to find out.

BlueNGold
02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
The concept is easy to understand, but that doesn't mean I automatically assume that is what's going on. It seems that way, but we still have 3 weeks to find out.

Is his trial 3 weeks out? If so, I will be utterly shocked if he plays. PR is a powerful thing in this business. 3 weeks is nothing.

vnzla81
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Is his trial 3 weeks out? If so, I will be utterly shocked if he plays. PR is a powerful thing in this business. 3 weeks is nothing.

I wouldn't bet money on it but Vorger sounded like he is going to let him play soon, maybe next game.

BlueNGold
02-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't bet money on it but Vorger sounded like he is going to let him play soon, maybe next game.

Herb Simon is a smart man and he's learned a lesson from the last decade. I suspect he's weighed in on this issue. But yes, anything is and has always been possible. Just don't be surprised if I torch that decision if Lance plays and he's ultimately convicted.