PDA

View Full Version : Is Bird being held accountable?

Major Cold
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I like Bird and the choices in players, but he needs to be held accountable about his choice for JOB.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/obrien_hired_070531.html

Bird said. "When it was all said and done, it came down to we needed a guy with experience in here, a guy I think I'm going to be on the same page with, who'll do the things necessary to take us to the next level. I got the right man for the right job."

1. We have yet to make the playoffs. So I ask. What is the reason what was the job? To sit on mediocrity? Signing below average talent to be starting over potential rotational to starter players and STILL not making the playoffs?

2. If Jim was the right man for abandoning the future for a no result present, then were our expectations too low? What the HELL were the expectations? To make it to the playoffs? Then why were we insistent on signing players that were no better than the ones you just drafted? Packing leveled mediocre players on top of mediocre young guys (who could grow into better players) was a recipe for consistent failing results.

"The direction I want to go," Bird said, "he's the guy that's going to get us there."

1. What was the direction? It could not have been just making the playoffs, otherwise why give him the extension just to fire him mid-stream. For crying out loud getting a coach before the CBA would have been ideal. A guy who could evaluate the product and make changes.

2. If he was not getting us there why would you stick with him so long? Please don't tell me cause you liked him. Crap I liked Charlie Weiss, but ND needed to can him.

I am not calling for Bird's head. But some of his decisions are baffling. I want him to be held accountable. We can't excuse him just because he is Larry Legend. He was given a task and to be honest he has failed.

presto123
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree with a lot of that. Bird is my favorite player of all time but it may be time for him to go. Especially if he didn't make that call to let JOB go. I really hope it was his decision.

bellisimo
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
the main task was to clean up the books - and then make the playoffs.

so far he has managed the first task at hand - the second one - not so much yet.

we were in such a bad position with all these big contracts - so we never really had proper position to make drastic changes.

so far overall i liked the players he has chosen - but the coaching choice was always a head scratcher as JOB NEVER FIT the style of play nor the players in this team. So that was the weirdest decision from Bird IMO which he could be held accountable for sticking with JOB for so long when it was clear that his style wasn't really working and that Bird actually was talking about a more "traditional" style of play.

Other than that though - I could care less about Larry being a Legend/etc as I'm not originally from Indiana - and think that given what he has had...he has done relatively well.

Consider this:

we traded away Murphy who is rotting away in the bench of NJ for our starting PG...

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 10:54 AM
We can't even enjoy the fact that O'Brien is gone, for 24 hours? Seriously, did we already need something else to ***** and moan about before we even played our next game?

presto123
01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
We can't even enjoy the fact that O'Brien is gone, for 24 hours? Seriously, did we already need something else to ***** and moan about before we even played our next game?

An " all happy" message board just isn't right:laugh:

wintermute
01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
My impression is that Bird's accounting will be at the end of this season - which isn't that far away. Bird has repeatedly said that he will sit down with the owner at the end of the season to discuss his future. This can be construed as Bird being uncertain about whether he wants to carry on or not. Alternatively though, Bird could be saying that his judgment day as GM is coming. I tend towards the second interpretation.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
*Insert aaronb to make passive-aggressive comment about how we're all okay about the 13th pick for the next five years because we'd rather have a hometown guy run the show*