PDA

View Full Version : 2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

PacersPride
01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Per espn, this is a good summary of the 11 & 12 FA's available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

West, NeNe, Perkins, and DeAndre Jordan (RFA), Pryzbella, are a few guys we could be interested in.

Do not see many strong PF's avaiable in 2012, so if were gonna acqure a PF in FA, it will likely be this offseason.

yoadknux
01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Well, there are only 3 players we might be able to acquire and could help us and these are Zach Randolph, David West, and Jamal Crawford (for this summer)
but if they do come here, they'd ask for a lot more money than they deserve...

31andonly
01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Troy Murphy, he's a double-double machine! ;)

BTW, wow, I just noticed that D.West will already be 31 by the start of next season. I thought he was much younger...

ballism
01-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Troy Murphy, he's a double-double machine! ;)

BTW, wow, I just noticed that D.West will already be 31 by the start of next season. I thought he was much younger...

Yep, he's entered the league later than most. He has way less NBA minutes than Dwight Howard or LeBron, for example.

Mono
01-31-2011, 08:23 AM
If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

David West would be my first free agent choice, but I'd be very afraid of a deal that paid him a lot of money over 5 years. 3 with a team option for a fourth, yes.

I'd also keep an eye on Tyson Chandler and Andrei Kirilenko, as players who could be tremendously helpful, if they could be signed to advantageous contracts.

Of course I'd bring back McRoberts, hopefully long-term for a fair price. 3-4 million per year?

I wouldn't do any deals that locked up an aging player to the disadvantage of the team.

I think the Pacers really need an excellent pick and roll power forward, but if none were available for a price I'd be willing to pay, I'd concentrate my attention on rebounders.

pizza guy
01-31-2011, 08:35 AM
If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

David West would be my first free agent choice, but I'd be very afraid of a deal that paid him a lot of money over 5 years. 3 with a team option for a fourth, yes.

I'd also keep an eye on Tyson Chandler and Andrei Kirilenko, as players who could be tremendously helpful, if they could be signed to advantageous contracts.

Of course I'd bring back McRoberts, hopefully long-term for a fair price. 3-4 million per year?

I wouldn't do any deals that locked up an aging player to the disadvantage of the team.

I think the Pacers really need an excellent pick and roll power forward, but if none were available for a price I'd be willing to pay, I'd concentrate my attention on rebounders.

Those two seem most likely to me. They seem like Bird's type of player, and I think they could make a positive impact. Gasol fits the youth of the team, and AK47 fits Bird's desire to have a veteran, so neither would surprise me.

ballism
01-31-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm having a deja vu here. On every page there's a similar thread, with the same twin tower idea of Marc Gasol and Roy that gets (reasonably imo) shut down. Only the posters are different. Do you guys have multiple accounts?

D-BONE
01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
With what he'd done in Yao's absence, I don't think Houston would let him get away, but I'd be interested in Chuck Hayes. Not a lot of offense, but can play 4 & 5 despite his size and is a quintessential blue collar rebounder/defender type.

ballism
01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
As for free agents, the only realistic option i like is David West. Zach Randolph and J-Rich are the other two I like, but given their history I don't think they are realistic for a franchise so self-conscious about its image.

Nene won't be a free agent, makes no sense to opt out of 11.6 mil without new CBA. Besides, I don't like him next to Hibbert untill Hibbert find that range he missplaced since the Bogut game. Right now that frontline would be so limited offensively, not to mention no answer to Dirks and Wests of the league on defense. I wouldn't mind a February trade of Nene for Hibbert though, makes Denver younger, and we could still go for West in offseason. Granger-West-Nene on paper seem to be a great fit and might be the best 3-4-5 combo in the league.

ballism
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
With what he'd done in Yao's absence, I don't think Houston would let him get away, but I'd be interested in Chuck Hayes. Not a lot of offense, but can play 4 & 5 despite his size and is a quintessential blue collar rebounder/defender type.

If we add Chuck Hayes AND Brian Scalabrine, I think we might have a title contender!

Nothing against blue collar, but we really need to do much better. i hope we haven't waited all these years just to get a Chuck Hayes.

D-BONE
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
If we add Chuck Hayes AND Brian Scalabrine, I think we might have a title contender!

Nothing against blue collar, but we really need to do much better. i hope we haven't waited all these years just to get a Chuck Hayes.

I don't mean as our primary target. But maybe as the second or even a third guy if money/trade options permit. I agree if we just got Hayes it would be a major disappointment, but I don't think we're beyond looking for the kind of role players we lack.

And, if you buy into the theory that Hibbert would benefit from a tough defensive oriented four, then Hayes would serve a purpose there. This is all pending what the guys we have show us. We still have a major need for toughness inside. Nene would do a lot for us there. West some, but not as much. Although I recognize he contributes greatly in other ways.

Mono
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm having a deja vu here. On every page there's a similar thread, with the same twin tower idea of Marc Gasol and Roy that gets (reasonably imo) shut down. Only the posters are different. Do you guys have multiple accounts?

I didn't see the other thread (threads?) where the suggestion was made. Folks, I don't guarantee that all my ideas are good ones, but I do guarantee your money back on the ones you don't like. :)

cinotimz
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM
I have thought for some time that Bird might be eyeing AK47 to put between Hibbert and Granger.

Mono
01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
I think AK47 would be a major gamble, if you were to sign him intending that he be the starting power forward for your team. He may be inconsistent like crazy and just not have very much left. On the other hand, it could pay off big time. This is a guy who was just insane when he was the starting power forward for the Jazz. When they didn't have enough pieces around him to look for a lot of balance, he could run all over the court like a mad man. When the Jazz added Okur, Boozer, and then Williams, AK's role changed dramatically. It's sort of hard to say if he actually is what he currently appears to be, or if he's still got that dynamic game in him just waiting to come back out.

MyFavMartin
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I think AK47 would be a major gamble, if you were to sign him intending that he be the starting power forward for your team. He may be inconsistent like crazy and just not have very much left. On the other hand, it could pay off big time. This is a guy who was just insane when he was the starting power forward for the Jazz. When they didn't have enough pieces around him to look for a lot of balance, he could run all over the court like a mad man. When the Jazz added Okur, Boozer, and then Williams, AK's role changed dramatically. It's sort of hard to say if he actually is what he currently appears to be, or if he's still got that dynamic game in him just waiting to come back out.

I initially dismissed the AK47 idea at PF and then checked out this, where half his time is spent at PF and he has a very good PER rating:

http://www.82games.com/1011/10UTA7.HTM

Interesting when you compare him to Josh Smith and his PER at the PF spot:

http://www.82games.com/1011/10ATL11.HTM

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Please no AK47

now his nickname should be "AK Starter Pistol"

He is a shell of what he used to be, and I will never forget him crying in the playoffs

beast23
01-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Speaking strictly of free agents (or players than may opt out), considering each position, I like the following:

PF -
West (starter), Landry (backup), McRoberts (backup only) Glen Davis (backup), Humphries (backup). Randolph is a fine offensive player, but I wouldn't touch him.

C -
Perkins (backup/part time starter)

SG / PG-
Jamal Crawford (combo guard), Daniels (can still guard PG, SG, SF)

SF -
Wilson Chandler

I would definitely go after West first. If West cannot be signed, then I would try to work a trade to acquire a good PF. If that does not progress, I would sign both of Landry and McRoberts, depending on dollars.

Secondly, I would go after Perkins as a backup center, or a heavy minutes player on those occassions that Hibbert is missing in action. Perkins is not the greatest offensive player in the world, but he can guard virtually any center in the league straight up

If Hibbert can't get it turned around before the end of this season, I would consider picking up a stronger scoring SG like Jamal Crawford. If we feel as though we need an SG/PG that can score from the perimeter but cannot get our hands on Crawford, I would look into acquiring Kirk Hinrich through a trade. He has only one year left at 8M, thus would be an expiring contract that is viewed as a very good player by most other teams in the league. He could traded next season, allowed to expire, used in a sign and trade or even re-signed for less money. That's not to move away from the youth movement at SG or PG either one, it's just that Hinrich is a great backcourt utility player to have around to fill almost any need you would have.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Speaking strictly of free agents (or players than may opt out), considering each position, I like the following:

PF -
West (starter), Landry (backup), McRoberts (backup only) Glen Davis (backup), Humphries (backup). Randolph is a fine offensive player, but I wouldn't touch him.

C -

SG / PG-

SF -
Wilson Chandler

I would definitely go after West first. If West cannot be signed, then I would try to work a trade to acquire a good PF. If that does not progress, I would sign both of Landry and McRoberts, depending on dollars.

Secondly, I would go after Perkins as a backup center, or a heavy minutes player on those occassions that Hibbert is missing in action. Perkins is not the greatest offensive player in the world, but he can guard virtually any center in the league straight up

If Hibbert can't get it turned around before the end of this season, I would consider picking up a stronger scoring SG like Jamal Crawford. If we feel as though we need an SG/PG that can score from the perimeter but cannot get our hands on Crawford, I would look into acquiring Kirk Hinrich through a trade. He has only one year left at 8M, thus would be an expiring contract that is viewed as a very good player by most other teams in the league. He could traded next season, allowed to expire, used in a sign and trade or even re-signed for less money. That's not to move away from the youth movement at SG or PG either one, it's just that Hinrich is a great backcourt utility player to have around to fill almost any need you would have.

Might I add Tracy McGrady to your list as well? I think that if he's healthy (Which he has been), he's a very effective 1/2/3 off the bench. Very versatile like Marquis.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Might I add Tracy McGrady to your list as well? I think that if he's healthy (Which he has been), he's a very effective 1/2/3 off the bench. Very versatile like Marquis.

T-Mac is gonna go 2 a contender next yr he just needed a yr of rehab he is looking really good of late.

BringJackBack
01-31-2011, 02:34 PM
T-Mac is gonna go 2 a contender next yr he just needed a yr of rehab he is looking really good of late.

Money talks.. If they are looking to sign him for the minimum, than we sign him for 2years/6mil if he does it.

Jared Sullinger
02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Has anyone here given any legitimate thought to Yao Ming? I know he's had a rough time with injuries, but looking at his games played (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1722/yao-ming), it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought. If doctor's say he's healthy and ready to go for 11-12, he'd be awfully tempting. Not only a great center but think of the other things he brings with him by being such a megastar in China.

Hall O'Point
02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Has anyone here given any legitimate thought to Yao Ming? I know he's had a rough time with injuries, but looking at his games played (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1722/yao-ming), it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought. If doctor's say he's healthy and ready to go for 11-12, he'd be awfully tempting. Not only a great center but think of the other things he brings with him by being such a megastar in China.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jared Sullinger
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Argh. I just realized he missed all of 09-10 prior to his five-games this year. Instead of listing zero games played for that season, ESPN just omitted it altogether.

So five-games in two-years. Maybe he is done.

Maybe not.

Pacerized
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Mono;1151297]If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

QUOTE]

I do agree with your thoughts on Gasol and think the twin towers concept would work for us although most on here seem to disagree.

Nene would be my first choice and I'd be willing to bet that he opts out. He's having a fringe all star level year and has been healthy for several full seasons now. If Nene were to be a free agent under this cba he'd be looking at a big pay increase. I don't see him losing anything under the new cba at least not near the end of his new contract so I see it as a low risk move for him to opt out. West would not be at the top of my list due to his age and size but I could live with signing him.

PacerGuy
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Tyson Chandler is by far my #1 option on this list.
I wanted the Pacers to work a deal for him t/y, before he went to Dallas. He has been outstanding for them, especially on the defensive end. IMO there is no was they let him go, & I have heard he wants to stay, so unless the new CBA makes it hard/ impossible for him to stay, I bet he does. The reason I want him is he is a defense-first big, fairly young, and has good athleticism, plus he is far from a stiff on the offensive end. He is the type of big that while best suited as a 5, could give you some min's @ the 4 in spots. We need a "combo" big behind Roy - someone with better athleticism, not another "big" big.
(*Note: Nene would rate right up there too, but IMO there is no way either would accept a backup role, & no way I demote Roy!!!)

As for the others, J.Rich & AK have some interest, but I'm not teribilly excited & not interested in big $'s if that is what it takes. Not sure I would enjoy watching D.West any more then McBob, who we likely lose if we sign West. Not that West would not put up better numbers & be a better short term guy, but @ 31, I don't want us to tie up our new cash on an old soul. If this is the list, I spend moderately, & wait for the trade deadline n/y to see who is available, or I wait till the following summer when there will be a bigger crop of FA'a avilable (D.Will?)

Sad thing is, beyond the A.Randolph for our #1, I have not found a doable deal out there, & really nothing I like for our expirings. I keep thinking Dun would have interest, but the "fits" I have found him for have not offered us much of what we would want. TJ has no value other then as an expiring, so I don't see him going anywhere, & Foster has more value to us then anything he could bring back. I would to get J.Thompson out of Sac-Town, as he fits the mode of the athletic/combo b/u to Roy I mentioned, but unless they just want to dump him, I don't see a deal because I don't want any of their longer contracts to go with him. Houston should be looking to shed salery, but it sounds like they are llooking to add, not shed. B.Miller would have been another big that while is not exactly the athletic type I outlined, I think would still be an upgrade @ 4.5 mil. for just for n/y. I like K.Martin a lot too, but he looks to be a piece they want to build around, so he isn't going anywhere. Blatche in Washington intrigues me, but I do not see him accepting not being a starter, & that would mean his is unhappy, & that leads to trouble w/ a guy like him. Like the talent, not the attitude. Lastly, Gortat is PHX is a guy I know Larry liked, but again, PHX seems to be happy w/ him & Lopez combo & with them holding onto Nash (I have NO idea why!), they might as well wait 1 more year before moving him.

Best advise: Don't Panic!
Don't sign a FA to sign a FA, don't make a deal to make a deal. We have good young talent that if they mature as we hope will need to get paid themselves. Adding to this core would be great, losing some of them because we panic would be tragic!

Eleazar
02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Is there anyone else here that thinks it might be best just for the team to sit pat with what they got and not overpay for a FA that will only make it difficult to re-sign the younger players?

Young
02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Is there anyone else here that thinks it might be best just for the team to sit pat with what they got and not overpay for a FA that will only make it difficult to re-sign the younger players?

I agree with this to a point. You don't have to get a player just to spend the money and say you made use of it.

There are some decent free agents though that the Pacers should go after. I mentioned Tyson Chandler before and I still hope the Pacers make a run at him. I also mentioned Shelden Williams too. Another guy I really like but doesn't get any talk is Chuck Hayes of the Rockets. He is undersized but very effective. Reggie Evans is another blue collar big man who would be a good addition.

That is the direction I want the Pacers to go in...blue collar. I was torn on guys like Jeff Green and Josh Smith but I really like the blue collar approach the Pacers have taken with Hands and Josh at the PF spot. Stick with the blue collar guys even if they don't have the big name.

Other free agents i'd love to see in Indiana include Shane Battier but I think he wants to stay in Houston.

I would like to see a veteran point guard added to. Just a third stringer to help Darren, AJ, and even Lance. The problem is you can't find the veteran point guards like you could a few years ago. I don't think wing players are a need of the Pacers. Even if (hopefully) you subtract Mike Dunleavy they still have Danny, Paul, Brandon, and Dahntay plus Lance. Signing a guy like Quinton Ross would be good enough.

I don't think the Pacers need to go after big names. Save most of the money because they have a roster full of players that can be special.

naptownmenace
02-17-2011, 02:23 PM

The free agent's list is very underwhelming. I like Jason Richardson, Glen Davis, David West, Tayshaun Prince, and Tyson Chandler but I'm not sure that they will be worth their contract 3 years from now. Jeff Green might fit in well here considering that he an Roy are friends and former Georgetown teammates but he's a PF in a SF's body and I don't think the Pacers need another SF.

I think the Pacers should instead upgrade their bench with serviceable players like Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus, and Kelenna Azubuike with a 2 year deal type of contract and then go fishing again in the summer of 2012 when some of the big name FAs like Howard, DWill, and CP3 might be available.

Jared Sullinger
02-17-2011, 09:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Do you have any legitimate new sources which have stated that Yao's injury is likely a career killer? A Yao at, say, 80% and playing limited minutes (20-24 mpg) would still be one of the best players in the upcoming draft class.

BringJackBack
02-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Problem is that he likely becomes a Murphleavy contract. If we throw 3 years/30 mil at him we are ****ed for three years with a guy who plays five-ten games a year for 24 minutes a game.

Gamble1
02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
The free agent's list is very underwhelming. I like Jason Richardson, Glen Davis, David West, Tayshaun Prince, and Tyson Chandler but I'm not sure that they will be worth their contract 3 years from now. Jeff Green might fit in well here considering that he an Roy are friends and former Georgetown teammates but he's a PF in a SF's body and I don't think the Pacers need another SF.

I think the Pacers should instead upgrade their bench with serviceable players like Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus, and Kelenna Azubuike with a 2 year deal type of contract and then go fishing again in the summer of 2012 when some of the big name FAs like Howard, DWill, and CP3 might be available.
All of those guys will probably be in the same situation Melo is in right now. None of them (Howard, Dwill and CP3) will want to give up the big money to become a FA. Of course thats under the current CBA but the only guy I think we might have a shot at is Dwill and even that is a very long one.

I would much rather trade for West now and sign him before he gets to the FA market where his price could increase.

BringJackBack
02-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Man.. Just imagine DWill on this team.. :cloud9: :drool:

:shudder: Back to reality.

Gamble1
02-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Well the only way we sign a guy like him is if we are a top 5 team in the East and the only way we are a top 5 team in the East is if we sign another guy like West and develop our young core of guys.

Scot Pollard
02-17-2011, 09:37 PM

whats with the :shudder:?

im happy with what we have

BringJackBack
02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I apologize.. I should have made myself more clear. The shudder was meant as a "shake" as if I'm waking up from a dream.

I am, as well, happy with what we have.

pacer4ever
02-17-2011, 11:39 PM
whats with the :shudder:?

im happy with what we have

WTF? you cant be serious if we could get D will we better be all over it. How can you be satifyed with the current roster?? We need to improve it.

Scot Pollard
02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
WTF? you cant be serious if we could get D will we better be all over it. How can you be satifyed with the current roster?? We need to improve it.

alright alright

maybe we'll pull off a deal and bring in a decent big man

i like the team we have

lets go down the list

pg - check
sg - check (trade someone not paul george)
sf - check (trade someone not danny granger)
pf - can use another good defender
c - roy can use a backup (most likely josh in the future)

pacer4ever
02-17-2011, 11:58 PM
alright alright

maybe we'll pull off a deal and bring in a decent big man

i like the team we have

lets go down the list

pg - check
sg - check (trade someone not paul george)
sf - check (trade someone not danny granger)
pf - can use another good defender
c - roy can use a backup (most likely josh in the future)

Ok now how does that compare to the contenders??? We wont be contenders for a few years. Really the only way we ever get to be at contender status if both Paul and Lance become elite players.

Scot Pollard
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Ok now how does that compare to the contenders??? We wont be contenders for a few years. Really the only way we ever get to be at contender status if both Paul and Lance become elite players.

they probably will and we're going to be a top team competing in the east in 3-4 years

if a good deal comes along and a team will take an expiring by all means we do it

i like brandon rush but i dont know if hes going to have a place with this team

we really need a solid starting pf because both josh and tyler do well coming off the bench with their energy

roy is going to be a top center someday and dc is going to improve at the point and get recognition to make this a better team

we're in good shape

Charcoal Filtered
02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
It is a very underwelming list. I would use the cap space in a trade if the CBA is similiar to what it is now.

cdash
02-18-2011, 01:16 AM
As for free agents, the only realistic option i like is David West. Zach Randolph and J-Rich are the other two I like, but given their history I don't think they are realistic for a franchise so self-conscious about its image.

Nene won't be a free agent, makes no sense to opt out of 11.6 mil without new CBA. Besides, I don't like him next to Hibbert untill Hibbert find that range he missplaced since the Bogut game. Right now that frontline would be so limited offensively, not to mention no answer to Dirks and Wests of the league on defense. I wouldn't mind a February trade of Nene for Hibbert though, makes Denver younger, and we could still go for West in offseason. Granger-West-Nene on paper seem to be a great fit and might be the best 3-4-5 combo in the league.

Couldn't agree more with this. I think West is easily the best (and most realistic) choice if we are going to sign a free agent. He's not a slam dunk, but he would upgrade this team in a big way. That's coming from someone who enjoys the Tyler McRoberts two headed monster too.

CableKC
02-18-2011, 03:55 AM
I have thought for some time that Bird might be eyeing AK47 to put between Hibbert and Granger.
I wouldn't mind AK47....but he's injury prone.

Jared Sullinger
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
I see Kirilenko as being too redundant with McRoberts at this point in time. I'd rather keep the 23-year-old up-and-comer than sign the 30-year-old has-been, which I'm assuming it'd take at least $6-7M per-year for Andrei.

Thad Young (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3244/thaddeus-young) is a good young (22) player who hasn't been talked about much. He's good enough to be a starting SF if Granger ever gets moved or would make an excellent combo-forward off the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some 6th Man of the Year votes at the end of the season. He's been one of the biggest reasons why Philly has become one of the league's surprise teams. As an added bonus, we'd be taking a good young player away from a rival Eastern Conference team. Personally, I like Young better than Jeff Green.

oz_pacer
02-19-2011, 06:52 AM
what about ronny turiaf? he could back up roy blocks shots perfect back up center imo

pacer4ever
02-19-2011, 02:31 PM
what about ronny turiaf? he could back up roy blocks shots perfect back up center imo

Knicks need him

oz_pacer
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Knicks need him

so that means we cant get him?

pacer4ever
02-19-2011, 05:59 PM
so that means we cant get him?

if you want to overpay proably we could get him. But i dont see the knicks letting him go. He is a great defender and rebounder and energy.

Haywoode Workman
02-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with this to a point. You don't have to get a player just to spend the money and say you made use of it.

There are some decent free agents though that the Pacers should go after. I mentioned Tyson Chandler before and I still hope the Pacers make a run at him. I also mentioned Shelden Williams too. Another guy I really like but doesn't get any talk is Chuck Hayes of the Rockets. He is undersized but very effective. Reggie Evans is another blue collar big man who would be a good addition.

That is the direction I want the Pacers to go in...blue collar. I was torn on guys like Jeff Green and Josh Smith but I really like the blue collar approach the Pacers have taken with Hands and Josh at the PF spot. Stick with the blue collar guys even if they don't have the big name.

Other free agents i'd love to see in Indiana include Shane Battier but I think he wants to stay in Houston.

I would like to see a veteran point guard added to. Just a third stringer to help Darren, AJ, and even Lance. The problem is you can't find the veteran point guards like you could a few years ago. I don't think wing players are a need of the Pacers. Even if (hopefully) you subtract Mike Dunleavy they still have Danny, Paul, Brandon, and Dahntay plus Lance. Signing a guy like Quinton Ross would be good enough.

I don't think the Pacers need to go after big names. Save most of the money because they have a roster full of players that can be special.

Haha, this post and your avatar go perfectly together. What exactly is this "blue collar" nonsense you folks keep talking about? These dudes aren't tig welding for 18 bucks an hour. Which players do you consider white collar? Kyle Korver maybe? Anyway...

Man, I love this team, love watching them play, love their personalities, but I'm really not opposed to shaking up our front court a bit like an earlier poster said. We could feasibly get both Nene AND Jeff Green which would give us one of the toughest, most diverse big men rotations in the league. With Roy's attitude, I don't think he'd be opposed to taking a slightly reduced role if it meant the team being successful. Minutes would be slim, but we really need more talent.

I mean, you've also got Zach Randolf, Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, David West, Carl Landry. ALL interesting and seemingly attainable.

I just don't think we can stand pat on our current bigs. Roy just seems so flimsy out there, I think he's more suited to be a heavy role player, 18-20 minutes a night. And Tyler's exciting, but I don't know, I think teams are going to figure him out. He's also more of a role player, spark off the bench type of guy in my opinion.

The guard pool isn't nearly as deep but I'd love to see Shannon Brown, Jamal Crawford, or Marcus Thornton here. I think they can all be combo guard types and fill a "6th man" role really nicely.

Just for fun:

Nene/Roy/McRob
Green/Hans/Mcrob
Danny/Green/Paul
Paul/Thornton/Rush/Lance
DC/Thornton/AJ/Lance

I'm just excited to be excited about the Pacers again really man. Nowhere to go but up now.

idioteque
02-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Free agents? You act like Bird isn't stashing this money to give the All Star from Mostar Stanko Barac a max contract in the offseason.

crunk-juice
02-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Green sucks. we dont want him.

Jared Sullinger
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Sources: Nuggets seek Nene extension - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/25085/sources-nuggets-seek-nene-extension)

We have our first surprise of the final 2 ½ days of trade fun that the NBA’s long-running Melo Drama did not consume:

The Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den), according to sources close to the situation, are already pitching a contract extension to Nene.

It had been widely assumed around the league that Denver’s center would shoot to the front of the trade line as soon as a Carmelo Anthony (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony) deal finally got done … and assuming there was enough time before the deadline for the Nuggets to work on follow-up deals.

But teams that have been calling for Nene -- and I’m told that more than half the league has rung Denver in recent weeks to register interest in the Brazilian big man -- are gradually being informed that a key element of the Nuggets’ post-Melo plan is trying to convince Nene to stay.

Although his love for the city is unquestioned, Nene has the right to opt out of his contract at season’s end and is poised to walk away from the $11.6 million he’s scheduled to make in 2011-12 to become a free agent. One source briefed on the state of negotiations told ESPN.com on Monday night not to completely rule out a trade, but confirmed that A) Denver’s immediate intent now that six-plus months of Melo-induced limbo is over is to try to reach terms with Nene on an extension before the June 30 deadline and B) a trade closer to the draft is the more likely escape route for Nene if talks don’t go anywhere.

The short-term impact is that a clutch of teams that planned to be lobbing in trade bids for Nene up to Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade buzzer, headlined by Houston and Miami, have become increasingly resigned to the fact that he won’t be made available this week as so widely presumed.

The Nuggets, meanwhile, are confident that they can quickly acquire at least one future first-round pick for newly acquired Raymond Felton (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2753/raymond-felton) if they want to move him before this week’s deadline, but sources say there is some sentiment within the organization to wait until closer to the draft before rushing into such moves, even though Ty Lawson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4000/ty-lawson) is already in place as Denver’s point guard of the future.

The thinking there: It might be better to wait until June, in a year when the draft is seen as very weak some four months out, to allow for more time a better handle on the value of the picks that the Nuggets are being offered.

graphic-er
02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow could be had for pretty much a first round draft pick. I'd take him. Price and Felton are pretty much the same kind of player though.

Gamble1
02-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow could be had for pretty much a first round draft pick. I'd take him. Price and Felton are pretty much the same kind of player though.
Except one is better at this point and also more proven. At 7 million a year I would take Felton as a starter and tell Collsion that he will have to split time and improve his defense.

Edit: We actually could have a decent shot at getting him for our first. There is not many teams that could offer a lower pick that need a pg.

Jared Sullinger
02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba)

Nene wants extension in Denver - in 5 year, $50M-plus range - but sources say he's intrigued with how he'd fit into OKC. Feeling's mutual.

5/$50M+ for Nene. Is he worth it?

Jared Sullinger
03-10-2011, 02:16 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/4229.png&w=350&h=254

Does anyone know much about Reggie Williams (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willire02.html)?

From what I can gather:

He went undrafted in '08 coming out of Virginia Military Institute, where he led the NCAA in scoring in back-to-back years. He ended up playing in France for a year before joining the D-League, where he demolished people. He got called up by Golden State late last season where, in 24 games as a rookie, he put up an impressive 15/5/3. He's back this year, and while his minutes, he's putting up basically the same per-minute production. He's also sixth in the league in 3%, shooting .438. Oh, he's also a lefty. Everyone loves a lefty.

Anyways, he'll be a free agent in the offseason. He looks to me like a potential "super sleeper."

Deadshot
03-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Does anyone know much about Reggie Williams (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willire02.html)?

I know he destroyed Indy this season.

PacersPride
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Eric Gordon is the FA that matters most. If the Clipps sign DeAndre Jordan to a big contract, our chances should improve on Gordon.

I Love P
03-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Anybody else with me when I say this list sucks? We would finally get a whole bunch of money and then the free agents turn out to be garbanzo.

Look at the Hornets team right now, I know they are in the west, but they have a better team than the Pacers do right now. If you throw all your money at David West we basically become the Hornets but still not as good. If you keep the team we have this season and add David West next year, we might be win 38 games. Yippe!

Plus I heard David West is very intrigued by the New Jersey Nets.

BringJackBack
03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba)

5/$50M+ for Nene. Is he worth it?

He's worth a lot more than that in my opinion.. Woah. :signit:

CableKC
03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/4229.png&w=350&h=254

From what I can gather:

He went undrafted in '08 coming out of Virginia Military Institute, where he led the NCAA in scoring in back-to-back years. He ended up playing in France for a year before joining the D-League, where he demolished people. He got called up by Golden State late last season where, in 24 games as a rookie, he put up an impressive 15/5/3. He's back this year, and while his minutes, he's putting up basically the same per-minute production. He's also sixth in the league in 3%, shooting .438. Oh, he's also a lefty. Everyone loves a lefty.

Anyways, he'll be a free agent in the offseason. He looks to me like a potential "super sleeper."
Reggie Williams is a scorer.....but not good enough to be the type of Starting SG that I am looking for. He's a solid backup SG that can fill in as a Starter on occasion. The Pacers have the $$$ to spend, I want a "Batman" to Granger's "Robin".

CableKC
03-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Anybody else with me when I say this list sucks? We would finally get a whole bunch of money and then the free agents turn out to be garbanzo.

Look at the Hornets team right now, I know they are in the west, but they have a better team than the Pacers do right now. If you throw all your money at David West we basically become the Hornets but still not as good. If you keep the team we have this season and add David West next year, we might be win 38 games. Yippe!

Plus I heard David West is very intrigued by the New Jersey Nets.
IMHO....if TPTB are satisfied with PG being our Starting SF....I think that we should offer Granger to the Hornets for David West.

CableKC
03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Eric Gordon is the FA that matters most. If the Clipps sign DeAndre Jordan to a big contract, our chances should improve on Gordon.
Why?

Gordon will be a RFA....the Clippers will have the $$ to spend and can match anything that any Team can offer. Also....I thought that one of the reasons why the Clips decided to trade BDiddy for MoWill is because they want to clear Capspace and a roster spot to try to lure one of the Top Tier FAs in 2012 to go play in Sunny ClipperLand alongside the BlakeShow and EJ....:shrug:

PacersPride
03-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Why?

Gordon will be a RFA....the Clippers will have the $$ to spend and can match anything that any Team can offer. Also....I thought that one of the reasons why the Clips decided to trade BDiddy for MoWill is because they want to clear Capspace and a roster spot to try to lure one of the Top Tier FAs in 2012 to go play in Sunny ClipperLand alongside the BlakeShow and EJ....:shrug:

i think it was p4e who said it but it basically comes down to where Gordon wants to play. your correct, clipps can match any offer and offer the most. if Gordon wants to play for Indiana, Pacers offer him a 1 year max deal, and if the clipps match it then Gordon is a FA the following season. none of the above is likely, but if Gordon wanted to play here, and i see that as a real possibility, then you make the Clippers an offer they cannot refuse.

alot of it will depend on the new cba. im not annoiting Gordon the savior, he will need talent around him.. but he fills a position this team lacks, will hopefully boost attendance, and its the closest the Pacers are going to come to signing a superstar.

build it around Gordon, George, Hansbrough, Hibbert. im not certain DC is the pg of the future or not, same goes for lance. not trying to derail the thread here, Gordon and George would be strong sg/sf combo.

GrangerDanger
03-11-2011, 07:28 AM
J.R. Smith, Zach Randolph, GRANT HILL! ( Don't hate ), and JJ Barea would be great pick-ups.

Future_NBA_Player
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM

PF -

C -

SG / PG-

SF -
Wilson Chandler

Perkins will not be a free agent......He already signed a three year extension with the Thunder.

beast23
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Perkins will not be a free agent......He already signed a three year extension with the Thunder.Yes, I am aware of that. My post was made well before the trade.

My list may also be irrelevant. At this time, I would be surprised if the Pacers were able to attract even the mediocre free agents. Due to our dysfunctional state, I think most FAs would not willingly come to Indy.

So, we have just a few short weeks to reprove ourselves as the hard-competing team we once were. If we can do that, maybe we can land a decent free agent or two.

If we can't accomplish a re-make, then the only way we improve is through trades and we will probably have to give up much more than we get back.

It's looking kind of grim, if you ask me.

pwee31
03-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I think the Pacers need to get tougher, and bring in more talent. The 2011 class isn't really that strong, but there are players that would make us tougher or a more talented team. I think the Pacers will need to use the trade market for a major upgrade, but there are a few players that I think would help this team take another step forward, that may not be the major upgrade we all are hoping for.

Jamaal Crawford
Glen Davis
Tyson Chandler
Arron Afflalo
Wilson Chandler
Nene
J.R Smith (Nuggets can't keep them all)
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Kris Humphries
Marco Bellinelli
Carl Landry
David West
Jason Richardson
Thaddeus Young
Spencer Hawes
Mickael Pietrus
Marcus Thornton
Samuel Dalembert
Reggie Evans
Andrei Kirilenko
Yi Jianlian
Nick Young
Josh Howard

Injury risks:
Caron Butler
Yao Ming
Greg Oden
Michael Redd

Obviously they won't all be available, nor would all of them be a starter, but depending on the price and interest players are getting from around the league, there's a solid list of players that improve our team. How much? Not sure, but we'll have opportunities to get better, or at least add depth with talent and guys that will play hard on a regular basis

pacer4ever
03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I think the Pacers need to get tougher, and bring in more talent. The 2011 class isn't really that strong, but there are players that would make us tougher or a more talented team. I think the Pacers will need to use the trade market for a major upgrade, but there are a few players that I think would help this team take another step forward, that may not be the major upgrade we all are hoping for.

Jamaal Crawford
Glen Davis
Tyson Chandler
Arron Afflalo
Wilson Chandler
Nene
J.R Smith (Nuggets can't keep them all)
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Kris Humphries
Marco Bellinelli
Carl Landry
David West
Jason Richardson
Thaddeus Young
Spencer Hawes
Mickael Pietrus
Marcus Thornton
Samuel Dalembert
Reggie Evans
Andrei Kirilenko
Yi Jianlian
Nick Young
Josh Howard

Injury risks:
Caron Butler
Yao Ming
Greg Oden
Michael Redd

Obviously they won't all be available, nor would all of them be a starter, but depending on the price and interest players are getting from around the league, there's a solid list of players that improve our team. How much? Not sure, but we'll have opportunities to get better, or at least add depth with talent and guys that will play hard on a regular basis

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute he can defend all 5 postions and would be a very good garbage man

Gamble1
03-21-2011, 09:41 AM
It looks like Randolph may get his extension after all.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/mar/21/griz-z-bo-nearing-deal/

pacergod2
03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
You guys are sorely mistaken and will be highly disappointed when we don't sign anyone major as a free agent.

We have ten guys under contract plus two draft picks. The most likely scenario where we significantly upgrade the roster would be to make a trade bringing back unwanted salary and sending out draft picks. I think we will probably see us go after a couple of back up bigs and use our cap space when the right deal comes along.

PG - Collison, Price, Stephenson
SG - George, Rush, DJones
SF - Granger, Posey
PF - Hansborough
C - Hibbert

Our front court has no depth going into next year. I could see us filling the last three roster spots with Foster, McRoberts, and a player like Kwame Brown on a one or two year deal. I see a chance that we bring back Dunleavy as well, leaving our team exactly as it is now, but with two more rookies.

Bird will continue to look for upgrades, but they will come through trade. Not through Free Agency, unless the CBA changes dramatically and we are one of the only attractive destination because of cap space limitations.

pacergod2
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh... my girlfriend grew up with Reggie Williams and they are good friends. The guy has a sweet stroke and a versatile offensive game. I think he would be a good addition, but I don't see him coming here because he wouldn't have an icreased role on our roster from what he has in GS. If a team can open up more playing time for him, I would think he would go there.

naptownmenace
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Chuck Hayes is one of my favorite players because he's as physical as Foster but is isn't the detriment on the offensive end of the court that Foster is. Chuck is one of the best post defenders in the NBA.

IMO, what the Pacers need the most is a SG that can shoot and a Center that can come in and contribute a little offense when Roy is having one of his craptacular games like he has from time to time. Stanko would be great to bring in for that role but if not, I think the Pacers should make a run at Tyson Chandler (doubt he'll want to leave Dallas), Marc Gasol, and Chuck Hayes.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and/or Glen Davis would be a great energy guy to have. He's a lot like Hansbrough in that he has a motor that never stops and is very strong for an undersized PF.