PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz article says Herb made the call

PaceBalls
01-31-2011, 03:33 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110131/SPORTS04/101310329/1062/SPORTS04/Pacers-owner-likely-made-call-oust-coach-Jim-O-Brien

Written by

Bob Kravitz (bob.kravitz@indystar.com)

This was the owner's call, pure and simple. This was Herb Simon rolling into team president Larry Bird's office last week and telling the Hoosier legend that a head coaching change must be made.

The Indiana Pacers will try to sell it otherwise, and even Bird tried to sell it Sunday afternoon as his decision, but that's a complete fabrication. Simon wanted coach Jim O'Brien gone after the team's winless West Coast trip, and when that didn't happen, Simon insisted upon O'Brien's ouster after Wednesday's miserable home performance against Orlando.

"Mr. Simon was out there on the West Coast trip and at the time, I told him I was comfortable with Jimmy," Bird said Sunday. "But I wanted to see how we played on the trip. Then we came home against Orlando and the game was over after the first three minutes, so that's when I really started to think we needed to do something.
"And I called Mr. Simon up and told him and he said, 'Whatever you want to do.' So here we are."

Hmmm.

Let's just say the bull droppings left at the fieldhouse Sunday weren't all left by the Professional Bull Riders event.

That said, it was the right move, the overdue move. This was the right time to make it, with plenty of time to turn this thing around and make a playoff run, and with season-ticket renewal deadlines quickly approaching.
Which brings us to the next question (among many) . . .

Even if Simon wants Bird back next season -- and that's very much up in the air, and should be up in the air -- does Bird really want to come back?
He has made a lot of noise recently about returning to a life of leisure, and he can't be at all happy that his hand-picked coach, O'Brien, was blown out by the team's owner. Remember, Bird told The Star's Mike Wells recently that O'Brien was going to remain the rest of the season, and there was nothing that could change his mind.

Now O'Brien is out the door.

You figure it out.

Now don't dismiss Frank Vogel right away as some longtime assistant who is merely keeping the chair warm for, say, Mike Brown. (Although, if it doesn't work out for Vogel and the Pacers, let me place my vote right now for Brown, the former Pacers assistant and Cavaliers head coach, who is as sharp as they come.)

If Vogel were taking over a hopeless team, the feeling would be that he's another dead coach walking. But we've seen too many glimpses of excellence from this group to dismiss it, or dismiss him, altogether. If Vogel can straighten out the rotations, maybe light a fire under his players and get Roy Hibbert back to playing the way he did that first month of the season, this team should make a run at that final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

There's some history that suggests this could work.

In January of the 2003-04 season, the New Jersey Nets were 22-20 and languishing under Byron Scott. The Nets replaced him with longtime assistant (and former IU manager) Lawrence Frank, whose team won his first 13 games and ultimately went 25-15 over the last 40 games that season.

In the 2008 season, the Oklahoma City Thunder began 1-13 under P.J. Carlesimo. They fired him, brought in assistant Scott Brooks, and after a painfully slow start -- the Thunder moved to just 3-29 -- his team went 20-30 the rest of the way and set the table for the next year's turnaround.

So what do we know about Vogel?

Not much.

But he certainly looks and sounds the part, and during his introduction Sunday, he brandished a confidence that bordered on cocky -- the good kind of cocky. O'Brien was relentlessly negative, like a columnist, really. A positive voice might get some play, both in the locker room and throughout this city.

Look, we're not here to bury O'Brien, who has been buried countless times here and in the city. He did some good things and helped change the team's culture, and he got them to play reasonably hard most of the time. To be fair to O'Brien, he never had a playoff-worthy roster, until maybe this year -- and only because the Pacers play in the East.

But this season in particular, he was faced with a conundrum: I need to win to keep my job, but to keep my job, I feel as if I have to play my veterans instead of the younger players.

It was a doomed proposition from the start. His use of personnel was difficult to fathom, and his acerbic personal style, which most players found chafing at best, left his team cold.

Since Bird had no interest in coming down from his office to coach, the choice of Vogel was the second-best option.

So this became a referendum, mostly on Bird, then on his players, and then on Vogel. They won't have O'Brien to kick around anymore. The excuses have been excised.

The owner, the one who made this move, will be watching very closely.

presto123
01-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Wow!! I really thought Bird had some balls and finally did it. If this is the case it may be time for Bird to go anyway.

kester99
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
"You figure it out."

That says to me that Kravitz thinks he has it figured out. No quotes from a Simon, no attribution. Just smart old Kravitz figuring it out. Doesn't do much for me. He could be right...or not.

Side note...his mention of cockiness certainly dovetails with UB's comments on the press conference. Is Kravitz reading PD for ideas? You figure it out.

Dr. Awesome
01-31-2011, 03:44 AM
I think a lot of this is assumption on Kravitz part. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is some truth to it as well, but the way Bird talked at the press conference makes me think he did too. He talked about how certain things disappointed him and so on.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Simon went to Bird to plant the idea in his head, but I doubt he was forced to. I mean, for all we know, this whole article is just trying to stir things up and it really was Bird. If the whole idea of this was just to make it look like Bird was still in control, then what would even be the point of keeping him? Simon could have just fired him as well.

I don't know, just not a good article in my opinion.

El Pacero
01-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Jake Query tweeted the same thing around 2 PM fwiw:

I've been told that #Pacers owner Herb Simon, not #Larry Bird, was behind #JimO"Brien's firing

http://twitter.com/#!/jakequery/status/31809866431463424

presto123
01-31-2011, 03:53 AM
OMG. C'mon Larry. You are disappointing me. Bring on pritch:)

kester99
01-31-2011, 03:57 AM
Jake Query tweeted the same thing around 2 PM fwiw:

http://twitter.com/#!/jakequery/status/31809866431463424

Told by who? Kravitz? Spiderman? Assertion without attribution = shoddy reporting. This is why sports columnists and journalists are two different things....and why twitter isn't the Post Dispatch.

P.S. I know you said 'FWIW'.

MaHa3000
01-31-2011, 04:02 AM
If the team is money stapped like we are led to believe, then Bird has to feel like his hands are tied. I mean come on, Simon has to make the call.

The way it sounds, Larry was upset with what JOB was doing. He had to have Simon to back him up.

Maybe he asked Mr. Simon to come along on that road trip. IDK

Kravitz is just trying to look smart as usual. IMO

El Pacero
01-31-2011, 04:02 AM
Told by who? Kravitz? Spiderman? Assertion without attribution = shoddy reporting. This is why sports columnists and journalists are two different things....and why twitter isn't the Post Dispatch.

P.S. I know you said 'FWIW'.

Saw the P.S. when I clicked reply. Yeah that's why I said fwiw. Thought I would add to thread.

imawhat
01-31-2011, 04:04 AM
Kravitz' rationale is the only one that makes sense so far. I'm not dismissing it.

kester99
01-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Kravitz' rationale is the only one that makes sense so far. I'm not dismissing it.

It may be a valid deduction. We don't know. As an alternative, I would offer that Bird may have changed his mind. Does that seem impossible?

xBulletproof
01-31-2011, 04:10 AM
C'mon people. You can't publicly say "hell yes he sucks, he's toast" until the moment you're going to fire a guy. Of course Bird was going to say he was committed to O'Brien up until he fired him. You just make things 100 times worse if you give signs a guy is going to get fired before you fire him. You give the players a reason to tune him out, and you start a huge ruckus that could distract everyone.

Kravitz went from on point about firing O'Brien, to his usual craptastic mess immediately after it was done. Sheesh.

PacersFan1991
01-31-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't care who made the call, fact is O'Brien is GONE!!!! :dance:

Wage
01-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Is Kravitz reading PD for ideas? You figure it out.

Well played ;)

Psyren
01-31-2011, 04:15 AM
I couldn't really care less who made the call.

But from what I can recall from the press conference (I don't remember word for word, nor do I have quotes), Larry said something to the effect of "Herb gave me the okay to do whatever I felt was best, so here we are"

That to me sounds like Larry did it. But frankly (<--Play on words ;)), I don't care if Stacy Paetz made the call.

Peck
01-31-2011, 04:19 AM
On the one hand this is Bob just being Bob by getting us to talk about Bob. He's good like that.

On the other hand you do have to wonder why Bird felt the need to tell Herb Simon that he was comfortable going forward with Jim at the helm when they were out west.

Somebody had to bring it up for some reason.

MaHa3000
01-31-2011, 04:25 AM
On the one hand this is Bob just being Bob by getting us to talk about Bob. He's good like that.

On the other hand you do have to wonder why Bird felt the need to tell Herb Simon that he was comfortable going forward with Jim at the helm when they were out west.

Somebody had to bring it up for some reason.

Damn, thats a good point.

Bball
01-31-2011, 05:13 AM
The Indiana Pacers will try to sell it otherwise, and even Bird tried to sell it Sunday afternoon as his decision, but that's a complete fabrication. Simon wanted coach Jim O'Brien gone after the team's winless West Coast trip, and when that didn't happen, Simon insisted upon O'Brien's ouster after Wednesday's miserable home performance against Orlando.

This sounds like he has a source, not a hunch...

RamBo_Lamar
01-31-2011, 06:05 AM
If Kravitz is indeed correct, then I have to applaud Mr. Simon for getting involved
and forcing a change rather than letting the current situation continue to fester.

BKK
01-31-2011, 06:22 AM
I really don't care who made the call, I'm just enjoying O'Brien's departure very verymuch :D

Now you bet Simon had his say in this one way or the other, he's the one who'll still be paying for a coach who's not here anymore...

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
I had a feeling that Herb was the one that made the call and this is confirming that, if you watch the press conference again, Larry doesn't look like he is to comfortable with the decision it looks to me like he was forced.

bellisimo
01-31-2011, 07:49 AM
the way that they've been on cost-cutting route the past few years it makes sense that it was Mr. Simon who made the final call on it. This definitely feels more like a business decision to cut losses, eat the contract and just look to get it back from the ticket sales and increase the brand awareness to attract new fans by having a "refreshed" outlook of the team that is on the floor.

Will Galen
01-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote; "O'Brien was relentlessly negative, like a columnist, really."

Hmmm . . . Bob's a columnist . . . that tells me all I need t know.

HC
01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
C'mon people. You can't publicly say "hell yes he sucks, he's toast" until the moment you're going to fire a guy. Of course Bird was going to say he was committed to O'Brien up until he fired him. You just make things 100 times worse if you give signs a guy is going to get fired before you fire him. You give the players a reason to tune him out, and you start a huge ruckus that could distract everyone.

Kravitz went from on point about firing O'Brien, to his usual craptastic mess immediately after it was done. Sheesh.

This

Just a few days ago Kravitz demanded that JOB get fired. It happened regardless of the who, why, and how. Why come back and stir the pot? Let it go Kravitz, you know what they say about assumptions.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote; "O'Brien was relentlessly negative, like a columnist, really."

Hmmm . . . Bob's a columnist . . . that tells me all I need t know.
I thought that was pretty funny. One point for Kravitz.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I think is important to know who fired Jim because next year Bird is going to need an extension, if Bird didn't have the nuts to fire Jim by himself how we are going to trust him to make harder decisions in the future?

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I think is important to know who fired Jim because next year Bird is going to need an extension, if Bird didn't have the nuts to fire Jim by himself how we are going to trust him to make harder decisions in the future?
Totally agree.

I've been saying for a long time that it seems Bird is actually a softie when it comes to relationships—and this is hard for people to get because he was such a hard@ss on the court.

A GM has to be able to make very tough decisions that hurt people's feelings. Not sure Bird can do that.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 09:29 AM
As someone who often critical of Bob, I will give him a lot of credit. he actually provided some new information and actually moved the story along.

duke dynamite
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I could actually care less who made the call. All that matters is that it was made.

Pacerized
01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Kravitz doesn't have a clue, he just has to slam someone because he doesn't have anything else to say. I'll take Bird for his word.

DaveP63
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
It's Mr. Simon's team. Mr. Simon signs the checks...thus Mr. Simon, ultimately, made the call. Doesn't matter whether Larry was banging on the desk wanting him to stay or wanting to chop him. Larry would have to get Mr. Simon's input because, ultimately, it's his money.

Kegboy
01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
I could actually care less who made the call. All that matters is that it was made.

True.

However, I would like to point out, whether Larry or Herb were ultimately behind it, they both are culpable in Jimmy being here way too freaking long. If you literally wait until fans have bags over their heads, then you get no credit in my book.

Slick Pinkham
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
if Bird didn't have the nuts to fire Jim by himself how we are going to trust him to make harder decisions in the future?

I see no evidence that Bird is not the one making the basketball decisions, but it is also perfectly logical that the current financial situation of the organization is such that any change that requires significant cash layout has to get direct buy-in from Herb.

Letting JOB walk with money in his pocket, promoting an interim guy (and presumably increasing his pay), and also setting in place a search for a permanent coach (which will also cost $$$ to do that search) is in total a financial concern that is in the realm of issues for which we would expect Herb to be directly involved.

PaceBalls
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
What is so bold about this article is that he is calling out Larry as a stone cold liar. Bob even goes so far as to say Bird is dropping a load of BS to emphasize the point. I don't think he would go there without a solid source, but who knows?

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2011, 11:22 AM
This sounds like he has a source, not a hunch...

What is so bold about this article is that he is calling out Larry as a stone cold liar. Bob even goes so far as to say Bird is dropping a load of BS to emphasize the point. I don't think he would go there without a solid source, but who knows?

THIS... Is why I believe he had a source. This is a pretty bold statement to be made on an assumption! Something that could even ruin someone like Kravitz in this market if he didn't have someone that would be willing to back the statement outside of Kravitz.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I've said this before in another thread, but Bob has a helluva time working his cellphone and finding a video on YouTube. I doubt he's even heard of PD, much less ever visited the site.

presto123
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM

That's exactly why I posted at the beginning of this thread that Bird disappointed me. If this is true I would just as well like to see Bird gone. You have to make tough decisions when you have that post. And if this is true sounds like Bird would have rode this madness out to the end of the season. And maybe beyond? I really hope Bird did make this decision.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
"You figure it out."

That says to me that Kravitz thinks he has it figured out. No quotes from a Simon, no attribution. Just smart old Kravitz figuring it out. Doesn't do much for me. He could be right...or not.

Side note...his mention of cockiness certainly dovetails with UB's comments on the press conference. Is Kravitz reading PD for ideas? You figure it out.

I personally think Kravitz is right. I think Bird was content to keep Jim through the season. Simon does not normally travel with the team and I do believe that he finally saw enough on the west coast trip and , the Orlando game was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. When Bird didnt move fast enough, Mr Simon stepped in.

I dont like how Bird acted like he made the call, and that Mr Simon was so passive that every question Bird had, Mr Simon answered with "whatever you decide , I'll back". Didnt like that Bird acted it was solely his decision

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I could care less about who made the decision. All I know for sure is that Jim O'Brien is no longer employed by the Indiana Pacers. For all I care, a chimp named BoBo could have made the call and I would be perfectly fine with it.

We play the Raptors tonight, and I will be in attendance cheering my rear end off.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
The last thing Herb Simons wants to do is to give anyone the impression that anyone other than Bird is calling the shots. So Bird has to lie.

I would guess Bird didn't put up much of a fight at all with Herb if and when Herb said a change is needed now.

Aside: isn't the correct phrase, I could not care less. Saying I could care less means that you do care at least some.

SMosley21
01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
The last thing Herb Simons wants to do is to give anyone the impression that anyone other than Bird is calling the shots. So Bird has to lie.

I would guess Bird didn't put up much of a fight at all with Herb if and when Herb said a change is needed now.

Aside: isn't the correct phrase, I could not care less. Saying I could care less means that you do care at least some.

I could NOT care less about getting a grammar lesson via the internet.

It's still early.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
I could NOT care less about getting a grammar lesson via the internet.

It's still early.

aren't we sensitive. I could care less what time it is

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Now playing at PD Forum

Uncle Buck presents his version of "Tu Pac's me against the world"

I like that your taking all shots big guy, way to stir the pot

the jaddler
01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok so this is what we know, Jimmy is gone.......some people think that Bird did it solely, but unfortunatly i'm going to have to agree with Kravitz (which I thought I would never ever do in my whole life!) that why just now would Bird decided to get rid of Jimmy. Ok bird wasn't happy with the games on the west coast and wasn't happy that they young bloods wern't getting to play, or even unhappy that guys that had good quarters got sat way to much in the same game. To me it seems a little strange that just now out of the blue on a Sunday, that Bird decides to give Jimmy the pink slip. I said last season the I hold Bird accountable for allowing Jimmy to conduct such horrible coaching and I'm still standing by that comment.

Yes we may never know who's decision it really was but i'm going with my gut on this one. I'm saying Herb Simon, FTW!

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Now playing at PD Forum

Uncle Buck presents his version of "Tu Pac's me against the world"

I like that your taking all shots big guy, way to stir the pot

Oh no, I think I'm getting in with the wrong crowd.

BillS
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure why Kravitz saying something suddenly makes it a fact, and enough of a fact to rebound on Larry being not only incompetent but a liar as well.

Kravitz is asking the same question a lot of people are asking - why wait so long? I have an idea, maybe there WAS a point to wait for an easier stretch of the schedule to put a new coach in if needed so he could start off in a position to be successful even if he had to play with rotations and structure. Would you put a new coach in to get stomped by Orlando?

I'm on board that Herb was involved because money was involved, that Larry was on the fence or leaning until he basically had permission to make the move. I'm not on board that Larry is the New Pacers Moron now that JOB is gone.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh no, I think I'm getting in with the wrong crowd.

alright switch Tu Pac with Johnny Cash?

:)

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
If I've got this thing right . . . you do care.

joeyd
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
As someone who often critical of Bob, I will give him a lot of credit. he actually provided some new information and actually moved the story along.

But how much of this new information is unsubstantiated speculation? OK, so he can know that Simon went on the West Coast road trip. That's easy to determine. But his credibility would be helped with either a quote from Simon or by attributing whatever he's divulging to a specific source. I realize that sometimes you cannot divulge your sources, but in this case, if you read between the lines, a deal would have had to be struck between Simon and Bird, whereby Simon would have told Bird to say that Bird was the one making the decision, even though Kravitz states that it was really Simon.

I do believe he gets a lot of his ideas and takes the "pulse" of the community of Pacers followers from this board. Because a lot of the references he makes about season ticket holders and their buying plans has to come from somewhere. It could be that he is out on the street polling people, but I can tell you that the Pacers are not wont to divulge their numbers to everyone just for the asking, not that Kravitz asked.

Peck
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
All I know is that each and everyone of us needs to get right with God today because I am not sure how much longer this world has to go.

Uncle Buck & Vnzla81 just thanked each other in the same thread.:-o

So either the world is ending soon or we are entering a brave new world.

Normally it's all:box: but now it's:buddies:

Scary times my friends, scary times.:D

flox
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I cannot believe I'm saying this, but for once, I agree with Kravitz. I don't think this is a Bird move.

Since86
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I've said this before in another thread, but Bob has a helluva time working his cellphone and finding a video on YouTube. I doubt he's even heard of PD, much less ever visited the site.

Does he write his articles with a pen and paper then?

Using the internet, especially to find a site like this isn't hard. The hardest part about it, is knowing how to spell "pacersdigest."

"You click on this icon. When the little circle up here stops spinning, you click once in this box, and then type 'pacersdigest.com.' You wait until the little circle stops spinning, you click on which forum you want to visit. You click on which topic you want to read. You either put in your comment in this box, and hit 'submit reply' or you hit this little tab that say's 'quote,' wait for the little circle to stop spinning, and then type in your direct response."

Pretty easy........

Bird Fan
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm calling bull**** on this one. I think the decision was Bird and Simon's together. Kravitz wrote an article last week that called for Simon to step up and make some decisions and then we find out from Kravitz that he does? Just sounds like Kravitz is tooting his horn. He's a journalist/columnist for Christ's sake, they look for stories where there are none. And here, there is none. Put it to rest Kravitz.

On another point, the Pacers community used JOB as a scapegoat before, now it seems that Bird is the next scapegoat. I think Bird probably saw this coming too. If Vogel does well, Bird will stay. If Vogel does poorly, Bird will step down because Vogel's failure to make this team a playoff team will be Bird's fault... Makes the final decision for Bird a lot easier.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I think they all read PD. Players, management, media.

Think about it: where else can you get extended commentary on the Pacers? Nowhere. These peoples' lives are centered around the Pacers, and they all want to know the buzz.

RWB
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Think about it: where else can you get extended commentary on the Pacers? Nowhere. These peoples' lives are centered around the Pacers, and they all want to know the buzz.

They say Quinn Buckner is an internet guru, so Quinn come on out buddy we're all friends here. :)

makaveli
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
I think Bird WAS comfortable with Obie going forward (Not sold on him but.....comfortable) until the DEBACLE IN CHICAGO. I think even Bird threw up his hands after the McBob benching and coupled with the west coast swing, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

Simon loaded the gun, but Bird pulled the trigger.

PaceBalls
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM

I am sure they do too, they might even be regular posters here, incognito of course.

xBulletproof
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
My annoyance with this article is that he has no facts, no real reasoning. It's all just ... "well he said so 2 weeks ago!!!!". According to that line of thinking Jalen Rose retired a Pacer, and Darren Collison is still backing up CP3.

Bird simply can't say otherwise until he was going to fire him. Even if you agree with him because you have a hunch, you have to admit the article doesn't give anyone on the fence or who disagree with it any reason to 'see the light'. That's why it annoys me most, people will take his word on it because he's "someone who should know", but he doesn't. Yet he pretends he does. That's just using your position to sway people's opinion without any facts to show. Just horrible.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Does he write his articles with a pen and paper then?

Using the internet, especially to find a site like this isn't hard. The hardest part about it, is knowing how to spell "pacersdigest."

"You click on this icon. When the little circle up here stops spinning, you click once in this box, and then type 'pacersdigest.com.' You wait until the little circle stops spinning, you click on which forum you want to visit. You click on which topic you want to read. You either put in your comment in this box, and hit 'submit reply' or you hit this little tab that say's 'quote,' wait for the little circle to stop spinning, and then type in your direct response."

Pretty easy........

The guy didn't know how make a call on his phone. I'm just saying. He's very technology inept and he'd be the first one to tell you. He's getting better though. Hell, he only started using Twitter back in like, October.

Since86
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
The guy didn't know how make a call on his phone. I'm just saying. He's very technology inept and he'd be the first one to tell you. He's getting better though. Hell, he only started using Twitter back in like, October.

I know what you're saying, but there are studies out there where 3y/o kids know how to use the internet.

My dad still has the first phone we bought him in 2004. It's some LG 1500 or something crappy like that. Flip phone, no camera, etc. When he needs to add a new contact, I put it in his phone for him. He calls it his Greyberry, instead of blackberry.....

He chickenpecks with his two index fingers, doesn't know anything about facebook, twitter, etc, but even he knows how to find this site, and I'm sure he could operate it.

While Kravitz might not be the most tech-savvy person, I think it's a HUGE stretch to think that he doesn't know how to work a computer considering what is required in order to do his job well.

The man knows how to get to pacersdigest.com, and he's outright lying if he says he doesn't. There's no way around it. Surely he knows how to get to a website, and if he can get to one, he can get to most of them.

Bball
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm calling bull**** on this one. I think the decision was Bird and Simon's together. Kravitz wrote an article last week that called for Simon to step up and make some decisions and then we find out from Kravitz that he does? Just sounds like Kravitz is tooting his horn. He's a journalist/columnist for Christ's sake, they look for stories where there are none. And here, there is none. Put it to rest Kravitz.

On another point, the Pacers community used JOB as a scapegoat before, now it seems that Bird is the next scapegoat. I think Bird probably saw this coming too. If Vogel does well, Bird will stay. If Vogel does poorly, Bird will step down because Vogel's failure to make this team a playoff team will be Bird's fault... Makes the final decision for Bird a lot easier.

Actually, it makes sense now that Kravitz knew Simon was considering what to do with O'Brien when he wrote that first piece. It all kind of fits now...

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 04:05 PM
All I know is that each and everyone of us needs to get right with God today because I am not sure how much longer this world has to go.

As I said I fear I'm falling into the wrong crowd.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
As I said I fear I'm falling into the wrong crowd.

What does that mean?

You snappin on VNZLA among others?

What is this crowd you are referring to ? What problem do you have with them? What is your fear for being associated with them?

just bustin your chops man

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi I'm Bob Kravitz, you might think something positive happened to the Pacers the other day, but I am here to tell you, that that is not true! If I can manage to **** on your happiness parade even just a little bit then my day will be completely.

Sincerely,

Bob-o

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 04:09 PM
What does that mean?

What is this crowd you are referring to ? What problem do you have with them? What is your fear for being associated with them?

Is a joke no big deal :laugh:

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Is a joke no big deal :laugh:

I know Bro

I was playing around

I am sure you dont put much stuck into UB's opinion of you, and Im sure he doesnt put much stock into UB's opinion of you

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
What does that mean?

You I'm talking about you, I'm talking about you man. The peer pressure is too much. If I start agreeing with Bball someone needs to notify my family right away - please.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Jim, the firing has really affected your mental state.

Trophy
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Bird said he and said Simon talked about a change that needed to be made and I guess getting a new coach was brought up between the 2 and Simon told Bird it was up to him.

It sounds to me that they both agreed to get rid of O'Brien.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM

So either the world is ending soon or we are entering a brave new world.

Normally it's all:box: but now it's:buddies:

Scary times my friends, scary times.:D

Yep and I even thanked Flox in the Danny Granger thread :wtf:

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
You I'm talking about you, I'm talking about you man. The peer pressure is too much. If I start agreeing with Bball someone needs to notify my family right away - please.

UB

You are cool in my book

and I plan on taking you to you first rap concert this year

would you prefer Jay Z or Lil Wayne?

Or another of your choice :)

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
UB

You are cool in my book

and I plan on taking you to you first rap concert this year

would you prefer Jay Z or Lil Wayne?

Or another of your choice :)

who?

Actually I have heard of both of them

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
who?

Actually I have heard of both of them

see thats what im talking about

a closet rapologist

knew you were down for the people

aaronb
01-31-2011, 04:44 PM
see thats what im talking about

a closet rapologist

knew you were down for the people

Is that like the Tobias Funke Analyst and Therapist hybrid office?

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Is that like the Tobias Funke Analyst and Therapist hybrid office?

your comedic intelligence, is too difficult for me to understand

sorry

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Werd.

aaronb
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM
your comedic intelligence, is too difficult for me to understand

sorry

Did you ever watch Arrested Development?

http://www.threadpit.com/store/product.php?productid=217

able
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM

uh really ?? I don't use twitter, does that make me technology inept ?