PDA

View Full Version : What will Vogel's player rotations be

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Sorry for the horrible word choice.

make a prediction for us, who will start and who will be the 4 or 5 off the bench. don't tell me what you want, but who do you think he'll play. Assume everyone is healthy.

Also set some parameters as far as what will make you excited, satisfied, angry.......

I think the starting 5 will be

Roy
Josh
Danny
Mike
Collison

Off the bench:
Tyler
George
AJ
Jeff
B, Rush.

Only real change from what we have seen lately is no more Posey.
Lance will get some spot minutes.

Some of you will not be overjoyed as I would be shockd to see Jeff and Mike benched. maybe play a little less but still in regular rotation

Sookie
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I hope the rotation is
Collison
George or BRush
Danny
Josh
Roy

with
AJ
Dun
George or BRush
Tyler
Foster

off the bench

Although my guess is Dun will continue to start. I think that's a mistake, but so long as Posey and Ford are out of the rotation, and Roy gets a fair amount of minutes, I'll be happy.

I think Lance will be active just in case we can get him some spot minutes.

I also hope, his general rule is "whoever is playing the best during the game gets to play the most minutes" I personally think that's the best way to handle younger guys.

Truthfully, I don't know exactly how Vogel's going to adjust.

pwee31
01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I agree with your rotation and I'm personally just fine with that. I like Dunleavy, and he deserves to be on the court. Minutes should be based off his performances though.

Foster has been our best center as of late, so he should see his share of time as well, but Hibbert needs his chance to grow.

I see Stephenson being active more often, but not necessarily in the rotation.

Posey will likely be inactive for the 1st time. A mixture of Solo, Dahntay, T.J and Stephenson will join him. Rush while he's injured

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Collison
George
Danny
Josh
Roy/

with
AJ/Lance
B rush/Lance
Dun/Lance
Tyler
Josh

and Foster some nights

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
anyone think Jeff or Mike will be benched? Or even have their minutes greatly reduced? And does anyone think Posey will play at all? I don't think we'll see him for about a month.

Other than Posey I don't see major changes. Although it is very common for new coaches to start off by playing a lot of players. I don't see huge changes, I mean George has been playing, Price has been playing, Josh is back playing, Tyler has been playing.

I'm not sure we can make any prediction regarding whether we'll see any small ball

Psyren
My guess would be this

Starting 5:

Collison
George
Granger
Hansbrough
Roy

Bench 7:

AJ
Dunleavy
Rush
Josh
Foster
Lance (Spot minutes)
Solo (Extra big man)

Reserves:

TJ
Dahntay
Posey

I'd say you could change out Posey/Lance on the inactive lists. I don't really care who starts between Josh/Tyler as long as they split minutes.

BringJackBack
I think that starting off it will be:

Collison/Price
Mike/George
Danny/George
Josh/Tyler
Hibbert/Foster

Then I think within a couple of games it will be:

Collison/Price
George/Rush
Granger/Dunleavy
Josh/Tyler (Or the other way around)
Hibbert/Foster

That lineup will end the season, and I think Paul will then go off and score a lot of points based off something I just heard lol.

BobbyMac
01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I hope it's
Hibbert
George
Collison
McRoberts
Granger

off the bench
Dunleavy
Price
Tyler
Foster
Lance

Leave Rush on the bench unless he proves he can keep his head in the game.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I hope it's
Hibbert
George
Collison
McRoberts
Granger

off the bench
Dunleavy
Price
Tyler
Foster
Lance

Leave Rush on the bench unless he proves he can keep his head in the game.
so bench our best defender :laugh::laugh:

Psyren
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM

/one of our worst offensive players.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:07 PM

defense trumps offense in my book hopefully in Vogel's also

Trophy
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
In a few weeks.

PG Collison/Price
SG George/Rush
SF Granger/Dunleavy
PF McRoberts/Hansbrough
C Hibbert/Foster (McRoberts)

Inactive: Ford, SJones, Posey

Sookie
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
anyone think Jeff or Mike will be benched? Or even have their minutes greatly reduced? And does anyone think Posey will play at all? I don't think we'll see him for about a month.

Other than Posey I don't see major changes. Although it is very common for new coaches to start off by playing a lot of players. I don't see huge changes, I mean George has been playing, Price has been playing, Josh is back playing, Tyler has been playing.

I'm not sure we can make any prediction regarding whether we'll see any small ball

Possibly, I can see Dun's minutes reducing to give PG more, when BRush comes back.

With Foster, I think it depends on Hibbert. He might possibly lose some minutes to Josh at the center spot.

I think they'll still play though. I think the biggest change will be Posey being out of the rotation. Hopefully.

Psyren
defense trumps offense in my book hopefully in Vogel's also

I only want him out there when there's a dominant shooting guard on the other team.

Otherwise, keep him on the bench. I don't enjoy playing offense with only 4 guys due to Rush's ever so wonderful ability to disappear entirely.

4 on 5 on offense doesn't do you any favors when our offense sucks to begin with.

Sookie

He's really not..

pwee31
01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
anyone think Jeff or Mike will be benched? Or even have their minutes greatly reduced? And does anyone think Posey will play at all? I don't see huge changes, I mean George has ben playing, Price has ben playing, Josh is back playing, Tyler has been playing.

I think the changes will come with when and how often a player plays. For instance I don't see McRoberts and Hansbrough being inactive again unless they're not healthy.

I think Paul George will start getting more minutes like he has been. I think Hibbert will have a longer leash. Same for Tyler and Josh.

I'm really interested to see what Collison does as well.

I don't expect a lot of change in the offense, but I expect different situational calls, and different body language from the players as well.

I'm hoping tomorrow night plays out like the last time the Pacers played the Raptors with another coach other than O'Brien

ChristianDudley
01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not really sure who Bird has in mind to get their minutes either upped or cut, but from what I've heard from him today, I believe the young guys have the priority for the most part, and I expect PG to get a LOT of minutes now so that we can really bring him on in this 2nd half of the season--which I think is a great move btw.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I only want him out there when there's a dominant shooting guard on the other team.

Otherwise, keep him on the bench. I don't enjoy playing offense with only 4 guys due to Rush's ever so wonderful ability to disappear entirely.

4 on 5 on offense doesn't do you any favors when our offense sucks to begin with.

There was a reason he looked lost his job out there was 2 space the court. That is what his coach told him 2 do so he just stand in the cornor(which is part of the offense) and spaces the court. Wait untill we have Vogel 4 awhile to pass judgement.

Psyren
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
He's really not..

Let me retract my statement.

Worst? No.

Most inconsistent? Yes

Most likely to be entirely non-existent and make it incredibly hard to score points? Absolutely.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Let me retract my statement.

Worst? No.

Most inconsistent? Yes

Most likely to be entirely non-existent and make it incredibly hard to score points? Absolutely.

Dunleavy is pretty inconsistent he has been better latley but his defense his horrible compared to Rush's

Psyren
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
There was a reason he looked lost his job out there was 2 space the court. That is what his coach told him 2 do so he just stand in the cornor(which is part of the offense) and spaces the court. Wait untill we have Vogel 4 awhile to pass judgement.

That never seemed to be an issue when Dunleavy/George are on the floor.

Yes, Dunleavy is excellent without the ball. But still. Those two space the floor as well, yet they don't disappear for 4 quarters.

Look, I want him to succeed. I do. And hopefully Vogel's system changes that. But how the hell has he not gotten better in 3 years?

He does this ALL the time.

Stretch of a few good games. Stretch of an uncountable number of bad ones.

I don't want him to not play. I want him to dress every game when he's healthy. But I prefer George/Dunleavy play more often, that's all.

PacerGuy
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Starters:
Roy
Tyler
Danny
George
DC

Bench:
Jeff - w/ some Solo sprinkled in.
McBob
Dun
Rush
AJ - w/ some Lance sprinkled in.

Suits:
Posey, D.Jones, Ford

-If Dun of Jeff is moved, I think George gets Dun's min's in a 3 wing rotation w/ Rush & Danny. Lance could get some spot moin's @ the 2, but likely after the trade deadline.

-If Jeff is moved, I see McBob & Solo w/ Tyler & Roy as the 4 big's. Of course we would likely aquire a big as well, so if so (Randolph?) would be worked in. Based on LB obmitting Josh when speaking of our youth (only mentioned Tyler, George, & Lance), Josh could fall, but will not be inactive (that would be Solo).

-Lance will get PT, & IMO Larry's want to see him play, along w/ his intrigue of George makes Dun the most likely to move. I think Dun could land some nice assets, as he is healthy & his recent scoring must have contenders watching closely!

-D.Jones will be played as a defensive stopper (as he was signed to be) when active. He & Lance could be rotating as the 3rd inactive.

-P's will try like heck to move Posey to a contender, along w/ D.Jones, possibly w/ an expiring in an attempt to get further under the cap - esp. if we take on a salery > 1 yr. remaining.

PacerPenguins
01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
i change 3 things
1 start george
2 dont play posey and ford
3 play lance

Noodle
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I think that you will see a line-up like this...

Roy/Foster/Solo
Hans/Josh/DG33
DG33/Dun/PG24/Rush
George/Rush/DG33/Dun
DC2/TJ/Price

I whole-heartedly hope Posey is inactive. Dahntay and Stevenson will be too.
I think conventional wisdom says that you need have three point guards in the 12-man rotation, so that leaves those three out.

Plus, TJ Ford is not a bad player. It's hard to admit, but O'brien has painfully mis-used TJ. He is the better player than AJ at this point, and I believe he should bump AJ in the rotation.

In all honesty there is no way for me to know what to expect going forward. We could be in for a bumpy ride with a new coach. Even assuming that the new coach has a better system, it will be difficult to transition when all this team has been taught for 3 1/2 years is offensive slop.

We should keep the current defensive scheme. It's a good one, and the only reason I liked Jim.

Psyren
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
i change 3 things
1 start george
2 dont play posey and ford
3 play lance

^ Spot on.

Btw, Vogel is spelled wrong in your sig ;)

PacerPenguins
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
^ Spot on.

Btw, Vogel is spelled wrong in your sig ;)

ooups thx ill change it

O'Braindead
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Let me request just one thing for Frank Vogel; Please don't play Danny Granger forty minutes per game like Jim did for the sake of his long term health. That isn't smart.

Eleazar
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM

I can't take anyone serious who actually thinks that.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Let me request just one thing for Frank Vogel; Please don't play Danny Granger forty minutes per game like Jim did for the sake of his long term health. That isn't smart.

or Dunleavy 35 mins that is really bad for Dunleavy. He should get no more than 25 mins

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Please let me see the rotation of:

DC,PG,Danny,Josh,Roy and off the bench: AJ,Lance,Rush,Tyler and Foster.

Make Dunleavy the 3rd guy and sit Posey,TJ,Solo and DJ.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Please let me see the rotation of:

DC,PG,Danny,Josh,Roy and off the bench: AJ,Lance,Rush,Tyler and Foster.

Make Dunleavy the 3rd guy and sit Posey,TJ,Solo and DJ.

This would be my ideal rotation

Sookie
01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I think that you will see a line-up like this...

Roy/Foster/Solo
Hans/Josh/DG33
DG33/Dun/PG24/Rush
George/Rush/DG33/Dun
DC2/TJ/Price

I whole-heartedly hope Posey is inactive. Dahntay and Stevenson will be too.
I think conventional wisdom says that you need have three point guards in the 12-man rotation, so that leaves those three out.

Plus, TJ Ford is not a bad player. It's hard to admit, but O'brien has painfully mis-used TJ. He is the better player than AJ at this point, and I believe he should bump AJ in the rotation.

In all honesty there is no way for me to know what to expect going forward. We could be in for a bumpy ride with a new coach. Even assuming that the new coach has a better system, it will be difficult to transition when all this team has been taught for 3 1/2 years is offensive slop.

We should keep the current defensive scheme. It's a good one, and the only reason I liked Jim.

TJ isn't the better player. Honestly, in no way is he the better player.

But the reasoning behind AJ ahead of TJ was that the Pacers were going with youth, which I'm guessing means Larry "strongly suggested" it.

And with Larry also suggesting he'd like to see some Lance, and with the Pacers continuing to believe Lance is a PG. (we need a face palm smile for that) My guess is TJ actually moves to fourth in the rotation.

I would suggest giving Lance, Rush's minutes right now, just to see how he does. If it looks like there's potential there, then give him Dun's minutes when Rush gets back. If not, keep him active for spot minutes, just in case something clicks or he gets an opportunity to play later in the season.

Trophy
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't mind playing Mike, but I mean if the guy isn't scoring, take him out of the game.

It pissed me off that Jim could care less how Mike was doing, he would continue to play him no matter what.

For crying out loud he would take Danny out before Mike.

But oh well, hopefully Frank won't do that and I doubt he will. He sounds like a fair guy.

pwee31
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the horrible word choice.

make a prediction for us, who will start and who will be the 4 or 5 off the bench. don't tell me what you want, but who do you think he'll play. Assume everyone is healthy.

Also set some parameters as far as what will make you excited, satisfied, angry.......

Didn't take long to forget the question

speakout4
01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Our best defender is not always in the game.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Our best defender is not always in the game.

he should be in the rotation

joeyd
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I just hope that people do not expect big changes overnight. I would not expect any tampering will happen with the lineups for awhile. At least not until they have had a chance to practice under Vogel.

Sookie
01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Didn't take long to forget the question

Well, it's really impossible to know. We haven't seen him coach anywhere.

Seems like we're going to be going younger. I think the biggest change will be Posey to the bench with Josh/Tyler as the PF rotation, and Lance will most likely be active.

pacer4ever
I just hope that people do not expect big changes overnight. I would not expect any tampering will happen with the lineups for awhile. At least not until they have had a chance to practice under Vogel.

No Vogel said in his presser that rotations could be changed right away but his schme changes might take awhile due to lack of pratice.

Trophy
I'm confident Lance is going to be active tomorrow night.

As Frank said, "stay tuned".

pacers74
01-30-2011, 10:55 PM
It looks like popular opinion is:

DC/AJ
PG/BR
DG/MD
JMC/TH or TH/JMC
RH/JMC/JF

There is not much to debate there. I could see Mike's minutes reduced to see if PG can handle more minutes and keep his production up night after night. Whether McRoberts, or Hansbrough starts should depend on how well they mesh with Roy. I say start Josh and let Tyler come and be a spark scorer off of the bench. Roy seems to play better with Josh right now. This could change though.

PacerPenguins
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
just brought tickets cant wait! gotta show support 4 vogel

purdue101
01-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm shocked so many want McBob ahead of Tyler, or at least believe that will be the case. Tyler has been pretty darn good as of late, much better than I would have imagined. Just b/c McBob had one good game, doesn't entitle him to the starting nod IMO.

Rush is still out with an ankle injury, so I will go with the following....

DC/AJ
Dun/Lance
DG/George
Hans/McBob
Hibbert/Jeff

dgranger17
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Jeff needs to either start or be the 1st big off the bench, especially at home. He's an animal. I'm not saying he needs to play 30-35 minutes, but he needs to be in there for us to be successful. That's just a fact. Many, if not all, "contenders" in this league would love to have the feisty playing 25-30 minutes for them. He sets screens, knows what he's doing, takes charges, and keeps the ball (and possessions) alive. He is extremely vital to this team. Maybe in 5-10 years when he's gone, most of you guys will realize this.

#10 in the rafters? Deal

caseydeindy
01-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Well put.

peasouptexan7
01-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm shocked so many want McBob ahead of Tyler, or at least believe that will be the case. Tyler has been pretty darn good as of late, much better than I would have imagined. Just b/c McBob had one good game, doesn't entitle him to the starting nod IMO.

I completely agree. We drafted Tyler to be our PF of the future. When he gets consistent minutes, he does a pretty good job. That being said, I still really like McRoberts. He should definitely be getting the bulk of the backup PF minutes.

The lineup I think we'll see is this:

Collison/Price
Dunleavy/George/Stephenson (spot minutes)
Granger/Rush
Hansbrough/McRoberts/Posey (spot mintues)
Hibbert/Foster

This is also the lineup I hope we see

joeyd
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
No Vogel said in his presser that rotations could be changed right away but his schme changes might take awhile due to lack of pratice.

They COULD be changed but I'm just saying I'd be surprised if it happened right away. "Stay Tuned" is as ambiguous as it gets, although we can all read between the lines a bit. I just don't see Lance getting much time right away unless we are either up or down by 20 points. That could change after a few practices though.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 11:22 PM
They COULD be changed but I'm just saying I'd be surprised if it happened right away. "Stay Tuned" is as ambiguous as it gets, although we can all read between the lines a bit. I just don't see Lance getting much time right away unless we are either up or down by 20 points. That could change after a few practices though.

O i wasnt refering to Lance i was refering to Posey hopefully not dressing and Paul getting 30+ mins and Dunleavy gets 25 max. But however I do expect Lance to dress.

Sookie
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM

I wouldn't think it's smart to go from Lance having zero minutes to throwing him into a competitive game situation.

Let him get a few minutes of NBA ball in a non competitive situation (blowout, and it'll happen..) before you throw him to the sharks.

Noodle
01-30-2011, 11:28 PM
TJ isn't the better player. Honestly, in no way is he the better player.

But the reasoning behind AJ ahead of TJ was that the Pacers were going with youth, which I'm guessing means Larry "strongly suggested" it.

And with Larry also suggesting he'd like to see some Lance, and with the Pacers continuing to believe Lance is a PG. (we need a face palm smile for that) My guess is TJ actually moves to fourth in the rotation.

I would suggest giving Lance, Rush's minutes right now, just to see how he does. If it looks like there's potential there, then give him Dun's minutes when Rush gets back. If not, keep him active for spot minutes, just in case something clicks or he gets an opportunity to play later in the season.

I honestly hope TJ gets traded to a team who could use his services, and in return somehow land a useful veteran. I digress to my real point here. In a typical NBA style offense, TJ is dynamite with his speed. Plus, TJ is easily our best on ball defender at point. From 15ft on in TJ is a legitmate scorer and a solid fascilitator. Honestly, go compare Darren's current and career stats to TJ's previous stats. Both share one thing in common. Statistically hurt by Job's style. What you will see is basically the same stats with an edge to Darren. TJ is still a good player, and realistically better than Price. Price has a future equal to or greater than TJ's, but is not better than Ford right now.

Also, Bird may have said that one of the reasons he fired Jim was for the lack of youth being played. I havent heard anything like that yet because I just found out about this, but Bird is also uneasy with the excess of youth, as he recently indicated that we need more veterans.

Pacerfan
01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
We should try Dahntay against some of those guys that always seem to kill us...DRose..RWestbrook etc. I've heard he's one of the nicest guys in the league..and he's shown that while he's been here. Never complaining and always helping out the younger players. He's always cheering the guys on no matter what and is always involved. He should be rewarded with some minutes to show if he can defend some of those guys.

joeyd
01-30-2011, 11:33 PM
O i wasnt refering to Lance i was refering to Posey hopefully not dressing and Paul getting 30+ mins and Dunleavy gets 25 max. But however I do expect Lance to dress.

Yeah, I would hope that Lance dresses. Gotta find out what the kid can do. TJ has been a professional with a great demeanor. Dontay Jones is a good person as well. Neither of these guys is without talent, but unless there are injuries, I'd prefer to see them sit along with Posey and maybe occasionally with Solo pretty much the rest of the way.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ get some burn under Vogel. Remember the goal is still to make the playoffs. AJ is good, but he's not a distributer. I've been saying all along, I really want TJ to have a chance here under another coach to play before we trade him. I think we'll all be really surprised at how misused he was. If nothing else if he gets some burn and succeeds, he can be a valuable piece at the deadline. Over anything else, this is what I'm most interested to see happen -- if it happens.

McKeyFan
01-30-2011, 11:36 PM
If Tyler truly has pneumonia, it may be quite a while before he recovers.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ get some burn under Vogel. Remember the goal is still to make the playoffs. AJ is good, but he's not a distributer. I've been saying all along, I really want TJ to have a chance here under another coach to play before we trade him. I think we'll all be really surprised at how misused he was. If nothing else if he gets some burn and succeeds, he can be a valuable piece at the deadline. Over anything else, this is what I'm most interested to see happen -- if it happens.

AJ is way more of a passer than TJ. The problem is the system requires a scoring pg which i hope changes to a more pass first system.

TJ makes me sick when i watch him play ever sice he got injured i just dont like the way he plays. It is a shame the injury affected him so much but that not his fault so wish him nothing but the best in the future.

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 11:38 PM

I think he will be ready, he had a minor case of pneumonia.

Sookie
01-30-2011, 11:39 PM

Price is a better scorer than Ford. He's a better passer. He has better court vision, and he takes care of the ball better, and doesn't make the same stupid mistakes over and over... He's been a bit shaky (although recently been better) at first, but I think with the amount of jerking around he's gotten, and the fact that we haven't let him mentally get over his injury with playing time, that's completely understandable.

JOB was responsible for a lot, but he wasn't responsible for Ford's bad passing and decision making.

Anyway, I think Larry told Jim to play Price, just like I think he told Jim to play Hans and Paul. So I doubt Vogel will change that. Foster and Dun will be the only vets in the rotation, as it should be. (or at least I hope.)

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 11:40 PM
I think he will be ready, he had a minor case of pneumonia.

I would rest him untill friday if i was the coach. that sickness sucks

Noodle
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
We should try Dahntay against some of those guys that always seem to kill us...DRose..RWestbrook etc. I've heard he's one of the nicest guys in the league..and he's shown that while he's been here. Never complaining and always helping out the younger players. He's always cheering the guys on no matter what and is always involved. He should be rewarded with some minutes to show if he can defend some of those guys.

Maybe while Rush is out. Who does he get minutes from Danny, Mike, Paul or Brandon? Possibly even Stevenson, who is really a two guard. Especially with that reach of his. I do believe that even Dahntay was used all wrong by he who should not be named, but where is the room. This is only my opinion, you should always have 5 bigs, 3 points, and 4 wings. Where is the room when Rush returns. I would rather Rush or PG take a crack at those players before Dahntay.

To contradict myself, Solo can be pretty bad sometimes. So its possible. I would give Lance a chance too.

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I would rest him untill friday if i was the coach. that sickness sucks

They said that he kept telling the doctors that he wanted to play friday but the doctors told him to wait and play yesterday, so I think we'll be ready for tomorrow.

itzryan07
01-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Collison/Price
George/Rush
Granger/Dunleavy
Hansbrough/Mcrob
Hibbert/Foster
I dont think George will start but thats what i hope for

joeyd
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
They said that he kept telling the doctors that he wanted to play friday but the doctors told him to wait and play yesterday, so I think we'll be ready for tomorrow.

I did think it was peculiar that he flew on ahead to Chicago with the home of playing just a day or so after the diagnosis. Travel really doesn't help when you are beaten down with an infection.

LA_Confidential
01-31-2011, 12:01 AM
We already did with Dahntay.

vnzla81
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
I did think it was peculiar that he flew on ahead to Chicago with the home of playing just a day or so after the diagnosis. Travel really doesn't help when you are beaten down with an infection.

I think he was ready to play in chicago but the doctor decided to give him more rest.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
I can't assume anything specific. I expect it to be different, and I suspect that will involve more youth, less vets, but I don't know who, and I don't know by how much.

If George starts, that's cool, but I won't expect it.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for, assuming Tyler is available, is that he and Josh take up all 48 PF minutes.

owl
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM
I do believe we will get a FULL dose of Josh and Tyler. No more DNP's for either.
I think Dahntay may find some time when playing certain teams.
Lance will only see mop up time.

Day-V
01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
The rotations will be..............awesome.

Freddie fan
01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Jeff needs to either start or be the 1st big off the bench, especially at home. He's an animal. I'm not saying he needs to play 30-35 minutes, but he needs to be in there for us to be successful. That's just a fact. Many, if not all, "contenders" in this league would love to have the feisty playing 25-30 minutes for them. He sets screens, knows what he's doing, takes charges, and keeps the ball (and possessions) alive. He is extremely vital to this team. Maybe in 5-10 years when he's gone, most of you guys will realize this.

#10 in the rafters? Deal

Only 5-10 more years? Geez, Jeff's only 34. :rolleyes:

spazzxb
01-31-2011, 12:40 AM
I definitely don't expect Jeff to get any less minutes, he's the clear backup Center. The wing situation is fluid and I think there is healthy competition for the 2 spot between George, Mike, and Rush. I expect all three to earn what they get. I don't think people should just automatically expect that Mike isn't part of the future.

I expect the other starters to remain the same and Posey will still be our 3rd string pf. What will be interesting is to see if the new coach plays Foster and Josh together. I am unsold on Mcroberts playing center but he can prove me wrong. I don't have a lot of faith in the Josh and Tyler duo unless the opponent isn't playing a center. I also expect Lance to get on the court.

spazzxb
01-31-2011, 12:43 AM
I can't assume anything specific. I expect it to be different, and I suspect that will involve more youth, less vets, but I don't know who, and I don't know by how much.

If George starts, that's cool, but I won't expect it.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for, assuming Tyler is available, is that he and Josh take up all 48 PF minutes.

I would just like to ask your opinion of Josh playing next to Foster?

Sookie
01-31-2011, 12:45 AM

I think it's a bad idea, personally.

The Pacers need a low post offensive threat. And although Josh scored a lot last game, he's not a scorer. Tyler and Roy are scorers. So I think the post combos need to be

Josh/Roy
Josh/Tyler
Foster/Roy
Foster/Tyler

spazzxb
01-31-2011, 01:16 AM
I think it's a bad idea, personally.

The Pacers need a low post offensive threat. And although Josh scored a lot last game, he's not a scorer. Tyler and Roy are scorers. So I think the post combos need to be

Josh/Roy
Josh/Tyler
Foster/Roy
Foster/Tyler

Foster has played the 4 before although I hadn't really thought of pairing him with Roy, I think it would work but UNC and Duke would burn this place to the ground if it happened. If the other team has a center in the game, I don't think the Tyler/Josh combo will work. I am not against starting roy and Josh again. If this happens backing them up with Tyler and Foster works. I just think thats really the only option(unless you want to start Tyler and Foster) if you want a consistent traditional lineup. I really was just interested to see if Hicks actually thinks they can play together.

Hicks
01-31-2011, 01:17 AM

Not a good idea for extended minutes, but for a short burst it'd give you a good combination of size, mobility, defense, and rebounding. Feisty.

Since86
01-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Roy and Hansborough can be played together, though. I just think the only combination that doesn't work is Josh/Foster.

spazzxb
01-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Roy and Hansborough can be played together, though. I just think the only combination that doesn't work is Josh/Foster.

I agree, but it messes up the rotation.

PacersPride
01-31-2011, 01:40 AM
i dont know but i would say that Bird wants a lineup consisting of:

Collison
George
Granger
Hansbrough/ McRob (all minutes at the PF)
Hibbert

bench:

aj, rush, dun, foster, lance, jones

out of rotation:

solo, posey, ford

PacersPride
01-31-2011, 01:44 AM

are you implying tyler does not have pneumonia and something else could be going on?

i guess, but ford is not the pg i want backing up DC, no knock on ford, he may improve, but he and DC are too similar, ideally would like J.Jack at b/u, but hope aj can continue to play well.

Doddage
01-31-2011, 02:12 AM
What I'm hoping for:

DC/AJ
Rush/Lance
Granger/George (6th man, starter's level minutes)
Hansbrough/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

I'm cool with Dunleavy and maybe Dahntay getting minutes here and there, but for the most part, the above is what I want.

MaHa3000
01-31-2011, 02:29 AM
I am looking for Lance Stephenson to get some burn at whatever postion on the floor. I just want to see what the kid can do.
A couple of years ago there was alot of hype surrounding Lance. I think that he deservse a chance to live up to it. Maybe those expectation were exagerated, but he is a Pacer and I want to see for myself what he is all about.

From his interviews and watching him play in summer league and those clips from highschool and college, I can only say one thing is true about this kid. The only thing he knows is basketball. Let me rephrase that. The ONLY thing he KNOWS is basketball. This could be a good thing for this franchise.

Bring some nasty back.

Bring some " what the heck was that" back to Pacers basketball.

I want to see it . I want to look forward to it every game. This is what we need to get: 1) on the highlights via ESPN 2) back in the playoffs 3) fans in the seats.

This team needs an identity so lets see if Lance can become that.

PacersFan1991
01-31-2011, 04:08 AM
Starters:
Collison
George
Granger
Hansbrough
Hibbert

Bench:
Rush
Price
Dunleavy
McRoberts
Stephenson
Foster
Posey (Only if we really need to)

Out:
Ford, D. Jones, S. Jones

sunsun
01-31-2011, 04:52 AM
start is;
Hibbert
Rush
Collison
Hans
Granger

off the bench
Dunleavy
Price
Josh
Foster
Lance
Paul G

eric1516
01-31-2011, 05:00 AM
First let me say "hello" to PD. I've been following for the past few months but decided to join today in celebration of the staffing change. Back to starting lineups...

Roy
Josh
Danny
George
Collison

Off the bench:
Tyler
Dunleavy
AJ
Jeff
B, Rush.

I think that PG's contributions have been noted by Bird and Vogel and he will get the start. This will not only be for developing a young player but because he can provide an immediate impact. Having Mike come off the bench provides a solid scoring contribution from a second unit.

I could see this switching every so often depending on the opponent though. Vogel admitted he will make the lineups more consistent but they will still have to be adjusted depending on chemistry and opponent IMO.

thewholefnshow31
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I know we still have an outside chance at the playoffs, but I think the rest of the year should be about one player developing and his name is Paul George. I want to see him get as many minutes as he can so he can get as much game time experience that is possible.

Starters
Collison
George
Granger
McRoberts
Hibbert

Backups
AJ
Dunleavy
Rush
Hansbrough
Foster
Lance

DNP
TJ, Solo, Posey

DaveP63
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM

Benched? No...I can see them playing less minutes for a while when Vogel carries out Bird's wishes to see what the youngsters can do. Posey, I think, will wear a suit for a while when everybody is healty.

xIndyFan
01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
thinking about lineup. don't know how much of this makes sense. some obsevations both real and imagined. some supositions. maybe even some actual facts. :laugh:

hansbrough and mcbobs in. posey out.

pacers seem to have two mismatched PG’s in collison and price. collison seems to play better the NOH-style and price the motion offense.

collison, granger and foster seem to work together pretty well.

mcbobs and hibbert seem to make a nice pairing.

george looks like 20 games from being the teams best SG. maybe even the teams best player.

lance is gonna play. PG? SG?

dunleavy and price seem to work together.

mcbobs and foster together doesn’t work.

george is the only guy on the team able[willing??:mad:] to run with collison.

granger and george make a nice fullsized wing pair.

hibbert sucks at the PnR. hansbrough is good at the PnR.

josh is not a real center.

collison is much faster down the court than price.

so, that ends up with two separate lineups. that do different things.

PG – Collison
SG – George
SF – Granger
PF – Hansbrough
C – Foster

mainly try to run. lots of PnR otherwise. give collison the ball and let him go. much like the old 'small' lineup. but with a bigger PF that can still make the mid-range shot.

PG – Price
SG – Rush
SF – Dunleavy
PF – McBobs
C – Hibbert

Stephenson gets price or rush or dunleavy minutes. run a motion offense mostly. lots of passing cutting. mcbobs and hibbert nice passers. assuming stephenson is more comfortable in a half-court set.

flox
01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Collison 40/Price 8
Dunleavy 32/George 10/Price 6
Granger 38/George 8/ Posey 2
Hansborough 28/McRoberts 14/Posey 6
Hibbert 24/Foster 20/McRoberts 4

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Collison 40/Price 8
Dunleavy 32/George 10/Price 6
Granger 38/George 8/ Posey 2
Hansborough 28/McRoberts 14/Posey 6

So do what JOB did minus Jmac playing?

I think Paul should be getting 32 min and Dunleavy should get 18

flox
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I honestly don't expect to see too much rocking of the boat. The mandate was to get George and Hans and maybe Lance some burn. Posey's minutes might get moved to Granger if Granger moves to the 4, then George plays more minutes. Lance we will see at one point or another.

I feel like at some point our rotation will be (assuming full health)

Collsion 40/ Price 5/ Lance 3
Dunleavy 20/ Rush 18/ George 10
Granger 30/George 10/Dunleavy 8
Hansborough 28/McRoberts 14/Granger 6

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see Roy finishing all games.

BillS
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM

I am not an MD, but as I understand it pneumonia does not necessarily imply an active infection, just a condition within the lungs.

Speed
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
First let me say "hello" to PD. I've been following for the past few months but decided to join today in celebration of the staffing change. Back to starting lineups...

Roy
Josh
Danny
George
Collison

Off the bench:
Tyler
Dunleavy
AJ
Jeff
B, Rush.

I think that PG's contributions have been noted by Bird and Vogel and he will get the start. This will not only be for developing a young player but because he can provide an immediate impact. Having Mike come off the bench provides a solid scoring contribution from a second unit.

I could see this switching every so often depending on the opponent though. Vogel admitted he will make the lineups more consistent but they will still have to be adjusted depending on chemistry and opponent IMO.

Welcome, I agree.

Speed
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I'd like to see Roy finishing all games.

I'd like Josh or Tyler to finish all games.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I'd like Josh or Tyler to finish all games.
Yeah. All the "minutes" talk doesn't mean much if Posey and Foster and Dun are playing the last half of the fourth.

BillS
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah. All the "minutes" talk doesn't mean much if Posey and Foster and Dun are playing the last half of the fourth.

Why? If there is a good reason for them to be playing (still fresh, matchups, need for their specific role) why wouldn't you play them?

I don't want to see the "knee jerk" substitutions where Posey goes in because he's "trusted", but I don't want to see the opposite where their skills are left unused because they are "old".

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Why? If there is a good reason for them to be playing (still fresh, matchups, need for their specific role) why wouldn't you play them?

I don't want to see the "knee jerk" substitutions where Posey goes in because he's "trusted", but I don't want to see the opposite where their skills are left unused because they are "old".

Posey should never play

BillS
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Posey should never play

I hate his offense as much as anyone - or, at least, I hate how JOB USED HIM on offense - but he does a lot of things on defense when he is not left mismatched on the floor.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume that just because a guy has more than 6 years in the league he is washed up and horrible.

Unclebuck
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Do we expect the pacers to shoot fewer threes?

Do we expect a little slower pace?

Do we expect more set plays and fewer of the read and react motion offense?

I don't think we know the answers to these questions and we may not know for 6 games or so

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Most of what JOB was set plays i didnt belive it until I heard from a source that most things are set plays. Mostly called for Danny. I really hope we play inside out not the other way around. I hope the trailing 3 is gone for good hopefully we value each possesion like other teams and not take just the first 3.

Speed
01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I hate his offense as much as anyone - or, at least, I hate how JOB USED HIM on offense - but he does a lot of things on defense when he is not left mismatched on the floor.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume that just because a guy has more than 6 years in the league he is washed up and horrible.

I just think match up wise, he's so limited now. You can't play him at SF at all, imho. You can't play him against PFs who are too tall or too strong or too mobile. Really, it starts to limit where he can get his minutes. I see JMac and Hansbrough as a better alternative in almost every case.

I could see playing him for a last second shot and more against at team that has a PF that has no offensive ability. Even then, Posey has trouble keeping guys who are athletic off the boards.

I just think the net gain/loss is almost always negative with him.

Maybe if they do get in the playoffs he can give you savvy vet minutes if the other guys get overwhelmed.

I don't want to discount him, I just don't think he's better at this point in his career. Or he's too much of a liability in the things he can't do anymore. Hitting 3s and taking charges are valuable its what he gives up that bothers me.

Speed
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

I don't think we know the answers to these questions and we may not know for 6 games or so

I think you'll see more free flowing, player driven offense without the onus on a shot in 6 seconds. I think he'll free them up without the pressure to jack up a shot, so quickly, or have set called from the sideline. I've never liked that anyway.

I also think he'll get back to the lock down D, what they were doing back in November. It was working.

xIndyFan
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

i expect the pacers to run more. more rim to rim running from hibbert. less trotting and more breaking on offense. so quicker shots in transition.

more read and react offense at the beginning. less of it as things go along. at some point frank will see things he doesn't like in the read and react, so he will call more plays to fix them. would not be surprised to see two different set offenses depending on the PG in the game. DC with the NOH-style offense and AJ with the motion. some personel shifts to match up guys with an offensive style. maybe gang substitutions instead of subbing 1 or 2 guys at a time.

FWIW, i expect to see 'popular' rotations early, with some vets returning to the rotation as young guys play poorly. and some yo-yo-ing of playing time as guys do or do not play well. as long as things go well, shouldn't be any trouble. when pacers start losing some games in a row, look for signs of coaching panic.

last, wouldn't be surprised if some of the vets tune frank out and start their summer vacations early. look for some of those suit coats to need letting out a bit. :shrug:

Really?
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Pretty sure Dunleavy will continue to start... the guy has been hot lately