PDA

View Full Version : A true Jim O'Brien appreciation thread

Peck
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
I have no love for the guy and everybody knows that after that Pheonix game in year one I wanted him gone right there and then, but I also understand that not everybody feels that way.

The other thread was made with the intention of poking fun at Jim, which believe me I'm all for, but there does need to be a place that is kept clear of that.

So please I'm asking you now, let this be the place that people can come and offer sincere thanks if they so choose.

Aw Heck
01-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Thank you, Jim, for initially giving the team life after it wasn't looking so good.

Thank you for running an offense that allowed Danny Granger to put up All-Star numbers.

Even though I absolutely hated it at the time, thank you for putting Troy Murphy in a position to put up hollow numbers so that we could trade him for Darren Collison.

I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

presto123
01-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I would like to wish him well in the future. I don't hate the guy because I don't know him personally. It was just time to move on.

Suaveness
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you for looking like Ra's al Ghul

PaceBalls
01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
I really liked Jim's demeanor most of the time. I liked that he was old school, he never let the players walk over him. I never had a problem with his terse talks with the media, everything he said was pretty spot on IMO. I hated his choices on who got the PT and his reliance on stretch 4s. I liked the offense sometimes when it worked, which it never really seemed to work for a whole game.

I certainly don't think he is some mental abuser of a coach that destroyed our players confidence with what he said, now maybe he did with his rotations, but not his comments.

I think he would make a fantastic college coach, I hope he gets the opportunity to coach again either there or in the NBA.

Midcoasted
01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Thank you JOB, I wish you well in the future.

I hope that your tough nature rubbed off on our young guys and did not hamper their potentials at all, but made their potentials even higher for when you are gone. I get the feeling your tough love was the right way to develop the young core, but now it's time to let them shine with a players coach. The best of luck to you sir!

Midcoasted

Trophy
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I was in Indy last year and coming out at halftime, he would stop and shake everyone's hand in the tunnel.

Good luck your future.

Good luck Jim O'Brien and good luck to the men and women who were effected by today's announcement. I wish each of you future success in basketball.

flox
Dear Jim O'Brien.

I'll miss you. Thank you for everything

Flox.

Midcoasted
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
I really liked Jim's demeanor most of the time. I liked that he was old school, he never let the players walk over him. I never had a problem with his terse talks with the media, everything he said was pretty spot on IMO. I hated his choices on who got the PT and his reliance on stretch 4s. I liked the offense sometimes when it worked, which it never really seemed to work for a whole game.

I certainly don't think he is some mental abuser of a coach that destroyed our players confidence with what he said, now maybe he did with his rotations, but not his comments.

I think he would make a fantastic college coach, I hope he gets the opportunity to coach again either there or in the NBA.

I agree I loved that he was old school and I don't think him being a tough *** mentally hampered anyone on our team, I bet it makes them stronger in the future. Now when they fail, they'll think back to when JOB was busting their balls and think "maybe he was right." I think our core is a smart young core that desires to win by working hard, and I bet they learned alot from this guy and it helps them in the future when they finally are a contending team.

jcouts
01-30-2011, 05:55 PM
The #1 thing I would like to thank Jim for is taking over a team for a difficult period of rebuilding with very little cap space and basically throwing his own resume for the future aside.

Most coaches (ie, Stan Van Gundy) didn't want anything to do with the Pacers during the rebuilding years when they knew success would be tough to come by and it might leave an unfavorable mark on their resume or be a little less satisfying as a coach.

I'll thank Jim for casting that aside and getting the team through those years and into the next phase.

Pacersalltheway10
01-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Good Person, horrible coach. But got us Paul George, Tyler, josh, roy, Brandon, and Collison.

Kevin durant, Derrick rose, John Wall, Blake Griffin might have been better if you didnt go on those late season runs but I'm happy with who we got.

alamo1978
01-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Mr. Obrien, for giving it your all. You did what you thought was best, and brought class while doing it. Best of luck!

PaceBalls
01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
The #1 thing I would like to thank Jim for is taking over a team for a difficult period of rebuilding with very little cap space and basically throwing his own resume for the future aside.

Most coaches (ie, Stan Van Gundy) didn't want anything to do with the Pacers during the rebuilding years when they knew success would be tough to come by and it might leave an unfavorable mark on their resume or be a little less satisfying as a coach.

I'll thank Jim for casting that aside and getting the team through those years and into the next phase.

That is a good point. Jim had a winning record before he came to Indiana. It will probably be hard for him to get another job in the NBA now. Now surely that is partly Jim's fault, but it's not like he was given a talented team ready to contend.

I am really interested to see what he does next, at the college level or in the NBA.

SoupIsGood
01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for: coaching a steaming ****pile of a roster and milking it for a decent amount of W's (even if his methods were maddening).

Thanks for: being better w/ the development of young talent than he was usually given credit for. Generally he's given them the minutes they needed. . .

Thanks for: enabling Murphy's career year and thus landing us DC.

NapTonius Monk
01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
I appreciate that he was willing to take on the task of coaching our franchise while facing a difficult rebuild period. I think he was blunt to a damaging point, and stubborn to a fault. But I also think any success he's had up to this point likely came from those same points. I think he wanted to succeed, but the fit wasn't good, and he never truly adjusted. He always kept his security blanket (system) close by to go to in troubled times.

spazzxb
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Coach Obrien

Thanks for taking a job no-one wanted and dedicating your life to it.
thanks for teaching the guys to work hard and leaving us with a defensive base to build from.

all the best

ECKrueger
01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the time and effort you put in as coach of the Indiana Pacers. He seems like a great person, but as a coach, it was time to move on. Good luck, Jim.

bulldog
01-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks Coach O'Brien.

NBA coaches are paid millions of dollars, so I can't truly feel sorry for you. But I can appreciate how difficult it must be to have a bunch of pretty basketball-ignorant half-wits like us questioning your every move, to deal with the constant noise from talk radio, from the fans, from people with good intentions but varying levels of civility.

I appreciate the progress Roy and BRush made under your coaching, I appreciate the effort you made to instill a defense first culture.

And mostly I appreciate that you had a very tough job, and wish you the best in the future.

IndySDExport
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Let's not forget that JOB brought in a no nonsense approach to help this team clean up it's image after the "incidents" that made us a laughing stock and an embarrassment.

He may not have brought a winning record, though I'm not sure many could with the rosters we have had. But I must admit griping about our win/loss record is a HELL of a lot better than worrying about brawls, drugs, gunshots and strippers (Lance take notice!)

JOB, you brought discipline back to the locker room and for that I thank you.

Psyren
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Sometimes it's just time to move on.

I don't know Jim personally, and I have nothing against him as a person. While I was not a fan of his coaching style, there's something to be said for a man who tells it the way he sees it and speaks with a no-nonsense approach.

He joined this team and stuck with them knowing that it was going to be a struggle. That's a guy who truly wanted to see his team succeed and try to bring us back to the top.

As excited as I am today, I am sad for Jim. While I know he's made a fat chunk of money, I'm sure this isn't easy on him.

Jim, I thank you for your time here and the effort you gave. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Again, sometimes it's just time to move on. However, I wish Jim nothing but the best wherever his career takes him next.

Naptown_Seth
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I had issues with him contradicting what he would say, but in terms of answering questions he appeared to have great candor which I like in a coach.

This team was going to have a tough time winning, period, so I don't fault him the full extent of the losing.

The team did seem to straighten out after the first year and some of that included shutting down Tinsley. I don't know who made that call, but if it was Jim it was long due.

JOB as a coach really, really made me angry, but I'd like to think he's a solid person privately and was putting forth his sincerest best effort. Hopefully with NBA coaching being a fairly lucrative business to be in he and his family will be in good shape going forward.

And if you want to take a job with a rival team and beat up the Pacers regularly to put it in our face, I certainly wouldn't begrudge you that.

BlueNGold
01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Jim,

Thanks for coming into an organization that needed a strong personality to help right the ship...one with confidence and one that could bring discipline to the table as a coach and player manager. You were an extremely good fit for that role.

Also, thanks for what you do for the special needs community. Hopefully we continue to see you involved and that you find a new opportunity in Indiana.

wintermute
01-30-2011, 06:50 PM
As some posters mentioned in the other thread, Obie got his teams to play hard. At least, that was true for the first two seasons.

I think Obie did a great job with the crap roster he started with. I thought his system brought out the best in guys like Mike and Troy, and maybe even Danny too. The trouble was, I don't think Obie adapted well to the roster changes that, on paper, should have been improving the team.

I agree with Soup regarding player development. I don't think Obie "ruined" anyone irreparably. Several players posted career highs under his watch, especially in terms of shooting, and I don't think it's all coincidence. I also think Hibbert becoming lighter and more mobile could also be traced to Obie - maybe not directly, but at least because Hibbert wanted to keep pace.

He was a breath of fresh air when he joined the franchise. The only problem was that he stayed too long.

BornReady
01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
you're a good person and you've always presented yourself well. thank you for your time here and good luck in the future.

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Jim, thanks for giving us one good year(playing hard and bringing the team back)

BillS
01-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I appreciate that the style of play the first year brought fans back onto their feet after being very critical of a deliberate half-court offense.

I appreciate the hard-nosed attitude about what responsibilities the players had off the court. That has to start with the guy they see every day.

I appreciate the effort and the dedication.

I really hope you can sit down with your father-in-law once you git a little distance and go over your game films with him. You have an opportunity to learn a lot from your time here.

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for getting our players to play harder and better defense than any other average coach could get us to play. That's probably going to rub off on them for the rest of their careers.

idioteque
01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Although I didn't like Jim's offensive schemes at all, he did have a forceful personality that I think was especially useful that first year when we were really a team of Danny Granger and a bunch of castoffs. That team had no business winning the number of games that it did. I'll admit it, Jim made that Kareem Rush, Rasho Nesterovic team watchable and that was far from an easy task. I think Jim's firebrand personality allowed that team to maintain a level of pride.

Now, we have players like Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, and Darren Collison who I think will thrive in a different kind of offense. But I really don't think Jim ever stopped giving a ****, he did what he thought was right every night and remained engaged even when the team was losing well more than it was winning. He earned his salary the best he could, and you have to commend the guy for that.

He also served the special needs community in Indianapolis well, which is very commendable.

Safe travels and best of luck, Jim.

speakout4
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Best wishes to a decent man.

PacerDude
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I think he knew what he was getting into when he took the job. Rebuilding a team, lots of young kids, a few older vets, yada-yada ............... we all knew that it was an 'temporary' position and he'd eventually get s-canned.

He did what he was asked to do. Sure - there are things he could have/might have done differently, but ........................

Thanks for the effort.

McKeyFan
01-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your interesting (hair) style.

joeyd
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice guy who worked hard but also gave back to the community. I wish him well in the future---he'll land on his feet somewhere.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
from what I read Jim and his wife were really committed to helping the homless here in the city

PacerGuy
01-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Jim,
-Thanks for helping restore Pacer Pride!!!
-You helped bring dignity & respect back to my team, I will never forget that.
-You are a great basketball mind. You have great conviction & confidence.
-You are extremely professional & prideful, both great characteristics!
-You will always be a part of our history, & though we did not always see eye-2-eye, I am glad we met, & I'm thankful for the time (regardless of the outcome), & I will always try & remember the good you brought us.

Good-bye, Good Luck, & Thank You again!!!

PacerGuy

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I think he did a very good coaching job in each of his first two seasons. I think very few coaches could have gotten 36 wins out of those teams

d_c
01-31-2011, 03:35 AM
I think he did a very good coaching job in each of his first two seasons. I think very few coaches could have gotten 36 wins out of those teams

I equate it to when Eric Musselman got 38 and 37 wins in his two seasons with the Warriors after inheriting a team that got 20 something wins the two previous seasons. He had a lot of questionable strategy and he definitely alienated some players, but by and large he got the team to play hard and they overachieved as a result. But his act was going to get old, so the Warriors got rid of him right after that.

I think JOB deserves props for taking a coaching job that no other credible coach really wanted to take and getting overachieving results those first 2 years.

He was spoiled milk after that and I really don't think Bird should have picked up his 4th year option, but I can understand that it was a reward for his first two years work. I think (some) people are really forgetting just how bad the Pacers situation was in 2007.

McKeyFan
01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
I equate it to when Eric Musselman got 38 and 37 wins in his two seasons with the Warriors after inheriting a team that got 20 something wins the two previous seasons. He had a lot of questionable strategy and he definitely alienated some players, but by and large he got the team to play hard and they overachieved as a result. But his act was going to get old, so the Warriors got rid of him right after that.

I think JOB deserves props for taking a coaching job that no other credible coach really wanted to take and getting overachieving results those first 2 years.

He was spoiled milk after that and I really don't think Bird should have picked up his 4th year option, but I can understand that it was a reward for his first two years work. I think (some) people are really forgetting just how bad the Pacers situation was in 2007.
That's why you take a risk on an up and coming assistant coach instead of a retread like O'Brien. They would have taken the job.

DaveP63
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Thank you for coming into a difficult situation and putting out the dumpster fire. Thank you for getting what you could out of some teams with dubious talent levels. Thank you for building the foundation for later success.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for being a snappy dresser.

Major Cold
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
I appreciate the team defense approach. I hated the execution and the implementation at times.

I hope the next guy can build on many aspects of help-side and heavy rotations while holding individuals accountable for the effort and assignment.

Jim did a great job of being apart of a culture change around here. And any product needs a culture change in order to experience success. The culture has changed and the product changed (no Tins, Shawne, JO or Jax) with little to no change in success. It was only inevitable that the leadership needed change.

I will predict we will make the playoffs in the next two runs. Giving the young guys the experience needed, and test of fortitude allotted in order to see if it is the team that will compete for a title soon.

joeyd
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I was always wondering....it looked like they always put out a bowl of mints for JOB at the left side of the scorer's table where he always squatted. Can anyone confirm?

Mackey_Rose
01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for reenergizing my interest in The Sopranos, and allowing me to sculpt an exact replica of Rodin's The Thinker out of modeling clay during boring games.

CableKC
02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for pushing our Big Men with no Range to practice their mid-range jumper. I reallly think that the 3pt shooting practice that McBob took ( and started hitting ) will greatly benefit his career. Same thing for Hansbrough and Hibbert when it came to practicing and hitting his mid-range jumpshot at the top of the key.

EVERY Frontcourt Player has to be able to have a somewhat effective mid-range jumpshot outside of the paint...otherwise they become easily guarded and ineffective if the Paint is controlled by the opposing Team.

To me...this is the best thing that I think that J'OB forced McBob, Hansbrough and Hibbert to learn.

Thanks Coach O'Brien.