PDA

View Full Version : A JOB appreciation thread

Ballerzfan
01-30-2011, 03:37 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A9peZ5WOtL0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

O'Braindead
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Jim I would like to thank you for. . . Nothing.

BlueNGold
01-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Someone please lock this thread...

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for making me hate the Indiana Pacers for the last three years..............

imawhat
01-30-2011, 03:42 PM
He got our team to play very hard.

It was such a breath of fresh air to watch our guys compete...the team/fans/city really needed it. If you can remember, our team quit on Carlisle in January of '07 and the end of that season was almost unbearable to watch.. I loved watching our team cross half-court in less than four seconds.

I also think the referees have respected our team a LOT more under O'Brien than any of our previous coaches. I hope that remains (I expect it will).

D-BONE
01-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks for your effort and dedication to the Pacers.

joeyd
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Look, JOB was a nice guy, and if anything else, it was obvious that he worked hard for the team and was active in the community. I've spoken with him before and he seemed like a nice guy. Not the best coach, but not the worst either. I wish him well in the future.

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for making Murphy look good. If you hadn't Collison wouldn't be here now. And thank you for the mediocre record that netted us Rush, George, Hibbert, Tyler, Josh, and AJ

joeyd
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for making me hate the Indiana Pacers for the last three years..............

Made you hate the Pacers? Again, a little strong, don't you think?

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Made you hate the Pacers? Again, a little strong, don't you think?

Hate watching them playing, I am sorry I'm just too excited ...... :blush:

d_c
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Seriously speaking, I thought he did a good job his first two years. Got the team to play hard. Probably a little too hard and it more than likely knocked them out of getting Eric Gordon in 2008.

But Bird definitely should NOT have picked up his 4th year option. He didn't need to do that. Probably did that as a reward for those first two seasons, but he kept him around longer than he should have. Spoiled milk at that point.

Day-V
01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for reminding me to never grow white sideburns when i get older.

Pacersalltheway10
01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for making Murphy look good. If you hadn't Collison wouldn't be here now. And thank you for the mediocre record that netted us Rush, George, Hibbert, Tyler, Josh, and AJ

Actually we got AJ as the draft pick from the shawne williams trade.

Mr_Smith
01-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Jim,
Thank you for all those frustrating games and rotations and making me stay up late during those west coast road trips.

MillerTime
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
This thread should be locked.

Let it go...most people wanted him fired...hes fired now...unless this is a positive thread, wishing him luck in the future, lock it

aceace
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
There's no excuses for this year, years past you can talk about injuries etc. This year is all on JOB. I do appreciate the fact that JOB is an all around great guy.

ilive4sports
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Too soon

Aw Heck
01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
He was a breath of fresh air when he came here. It was nice to see the team run.

But soon, all of those warnings dipperdunk gave us started coming to fruition. And it's been kinda hell ever since.

JB24
2008-2009 was an entertaining season. Thanks for that, i guess.

spazzxb
Dear coach

thanks for taking most of the external blame for us. We will miss the excuse.

Team

Anyone else find it ironic that JOB's last move as a part of the Pacers organization was to get kicked out of a game defending Josh Mcroberts?

aceace
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
This thread should be locked.

Let it go...most people wanted him fired...hes fired now...unless this is a positive thread, wishing him luck in the future, lock itIf you hate free speech than it should be locked, let people express themselves. There's always a moral purveyor on every board.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
some of you guys are classless - this is supposed to be a JOB appreciation thread

Please!!!

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
some of you guys are classless - this is supposed to be a JOB appreciation thread

Please!!!

OMG LOL

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
I want to thank JOB he maid me in to a great player who aved a double double look at me now I suck again.

signed Troy Murphy

Hoop
01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
There has never been a coach of ANY team that I've followed that I've hated worse than JOB, EVER.

The only appreciation JOB gets from me is don't let the door hit you in the @ss.

Bball
01-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Please!!!

Since it opened with the sound of crickets I'm going to assume there was some sarcasm meant with its creation in the first place.

The thing to appreciate most about Jim O'Brien's time as a Pacer coach is that it's over.

His first year here he opened some things up getting players to realize there was more to their game than watching JO clank the ball off the side of the rim. And O'Brien was part of some overall discipline being brought to the team with TPTB.

I think the team over-achieved with him the first year. But by the 2nd year I think whatever cards he played in getting the team to over-achieve were played out.

spazzxb
01-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Please!!! While they may have used the title "appreciation" this thread was never intended to be anything more than an insult. I agree its classless though.

Major Cold
01-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah I think you guys are pricks. Classless ta boot. If you are willing to overlook everything well he did and place all the blame on him for all things atrocious these last few years.....Then start looking for another excuse.

Pacersalltheway10
01-30-2011, 04:49 PM
If you think its classless and don't like this thread then ignore it. Let people vent. We've waited 3 and a half years for this too end and many didnt expect it to happen mid season. Let us vent.

PacersHomer
01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for making the Pacers unwatchable and setting the franchise back years! Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya! Adios, old man. Never come back.

spazzxb
If you think its classless and don't like this thread then ignore it. Let people vent. We've waited 3 and a half years for this too end and many didnt expect it to happen mid season. Let us vent.
Can't people vent in all the other threads. Do we really need a fake Appreciation thread?

JB24
Since it opened with the sound of crickets I'm going to assume there was some sarcasm meant with its creation in the first place.

The thing to appreciate most about Jim O'Brien's time as a Pacer coach is that it's over.

His first year here he opened some things up getting players to realize there was more to their game than watching JO clank the ball off the side of the rim. And O'Brien was part of some overall discipline being brought to the team with TPTB.

I think the team over-achieved with him the first year. But by the 2nd year I think whatever cards he played in getting the team to over-achieve were played out.

I think we definitely over-achieved in our second season as well. But for some unlucky bounces (that was the season we lost something like 10 games by 5 points or less) we would have made the playoffs.

Major Cold
Really? You have been venting for 3 1/2 years. Seriously when is the venting going to stop? What else are you going to VENT with when the ship is not righted as quickly as you liked?

I shouted and hollered when I hear he was canned. Now I want to think about the rest of the season and winning. Not venting about the past.

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

I know, I think they are just mad because they don't have to make excuses for Jim anymore and their job is done.

flox
01-30-2011, 04:54 PM

You have your own thread to do that. Why do it here?

PacersHomer
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Can't people vent in all the other threads. Do we really need a fake Appreciation thread?

O'Brien's horrible coaching deserves a bunch of threads to say how bad he is.

d_c
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
I think we definitely over-achieved in our second season as well. But for some unlucky bounces (that was the season we lost something like 10 games by 5 points or less) we would have made the playoffs.

Yeah, they did overacheive their 1st two years. I mean, how else do you think he got his option picked up? It's not something Bird should have done, but he thought JOB did a good job those first 2 years.

But he was just kind of spoiled milk after that.

Reminds me when the Warriors hired Eric Musselman. He actually did a VERY good job his first two years, getting the team to overachieve and all, but the team knew he was going to be spoiled milk after that and they didn't bring him back for a 3rd year.

Bball
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
You guys realize that Jim O'Brien is alive and well don't you? He just got fired for job performance reasons is all that has happend. Instead of worrying/arguing about what is classless just go ahead post some kind words about him if you think he deserves it.

spazzxb
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
O'Brien's horrible coaching deserves a bunch of threads to say how bad he is.

well I am sure there are a few hundred or more aound. Its a very low move to call this the Official Appreciation Thread.

PacersHomer
01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
JOB isn't getting all he deserves. He's dreadful.

gummy
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I appreciate his dedication to the job even though I didn't like the way he did it for the most part and I getting fired sucks, so I feel a little bad for him.

I can certainly see how this thread is, in general, not in the best taste. However, given the tone on this board for the past year in particular it is hardly surprising. Rather than tilt at windmills by trying to convince people not to express their emotions, I hope we can all get a good deal of this out of our system in the coming days. Let it out.

I have to admit, I thought the crickets were funny. Oftentimes amusements don't come in unobjectionable packages.

Mackey_Rose
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Please!!!

How fitting that you wouldn't get the joke, seeing as you haven't gotten the joke for the last three and a half years.

PaceBalls
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM
well I am sure there are a few hundred or more aound. Its a very low move to call this the Official Appreciation Thread.

Hey Spazz, I posted something nice about him and we all know what a Hater I am. We aren't all classless rude boys.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 05:36 PM

What in the world are you talking about. The thread title is JOB appreciation. I came to this thread to se if some weresaying nice things about Jim.

Mackey_Rose
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
What in the world are you talking about. The thread title is JOB appreciation. I came to this thread to se if some weresaying nice things about Jim.

Crickets?

Midcoasted
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you JOB. You got us through the rough years with some exciting wins. I feel bad you never got to make the playoffs with us, but I think that you ruint that this year.

Hopefully your tough nature transpired to our players and all you really did was build a strong foundation for them. Who knows, maybe in a decade you might hear Roy Hansbrough McRoberts or Collison thanking you for being so hard on them. Hopefully now that you are gone, you will get to see the guys you've developed these past four years flourish and you will be humbled by what they do. Humbled b the things they couldn't have achieved under you, but they couldn't have achieved without you either.

:buddies:

Midcoasted
01-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Exactly this is the last place to bash JOB. Start a different thread for that. I like to believe my voice on this site helped to lead to some decisions this team has made, and so do all of us. I was adamant in canning JOB and playing the young guys, but I'm not going to bash a guy who just gave us four years of his life and probably made our young core stronger for the future, at least not in his appreciation thread.

spazzxb
01-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey Spazz, I posted something nice about him and we all know what a Hater I am. We aren't all classless rude boys.

Actually I found it kind of funny that you were about the only one not slinging insults. Understand that to me all coach hate discussion was a waste of time because he wasn't part of our future. I know what people feared, but i had no doubt that this was JOb's last season. I just wanted to talk about the other stuff, and got tired of every discussion being minimized into "just blame the coach". Honestly, I just am glad no one can use JOB as an excuse anymore. I have been and still am a Larry Bird supporter. The new coach gave a a decent interview and I guess will see what happens.

Peck
01-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Guys I started another thread and re-titled this one.

While I like O'Brien no more than any of you and a lot less than some of you I think we all know that not everybody feels that way.

spazzxb
01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Exactly this is the last place to bash JOB. Start a different thread for that. I like to believe my voice on this site helped to lead to some decisions this team has made, and so do all of us. I was adamant in canning JOB and playing the young guys, but I'm not going to bash a guy who just gave us four years of his life and probably made our young core stronger for the future, at least not in his appreciation thread.

I just think the title should be changed. Then someone can use that title to start a proper appreciation thread. Where people show respect because he is leaving and its over.

PaceBalls
01-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Actually I found it kind of funny that you were about the only one not slinging insults. Understand that to me all coach hate discussion was a waste of time because he wasn't part of our future. I know what people feared, but i had no doubt that this was JOb's last season. I just wanted to talk about the other stuff, and got tired of every discussion being minimized into "just blame the coach". Honestly, I just am glad no one can use JOB as an excuse anymore. I have been and still am a Larry Bird supporter. The new coach gave a a decent interview and I guess will see what happens.

I have actually found myself defending Jim (well his media comments at least) more in the last two weeks than I have in 2 years. The vilifying of Jim had gotten so bad our players were compared to innocent prisoners serving hard time. That's messed up ya know?

Now we can be buds, cause I am officially a sunshiner the rest of the year. :buddies:

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Lets see we have 199,923 threads making fun of Jim and the one thread that claims to appreciate him is also making fun of him.

And people are made at me, like how dare I call anyone out on this. Brother

S.R.E.C.A.P
01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_3GR3M5LDjo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wgvwfvTcNl0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>