PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown and Tyron Corbin (Utah assistant) top candidates for long-term coaching job

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Saw this in the "JOB Fired" thread and I thought that this deserved a thread on its own since it is pretty damn big (and great) news. These guys would be amazing for us. A Sloan disciple or Mike Brown- Talk about an upgrade.

The Indiana Pacers fired coach Jim O’Brien on Sunday morning, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

O’Brien’s firing comes after the Pacers lost seven of their past eight games to drop to 10th place in the Eastern Conference. After a strong start to the season, the Pacers have faded in recent weeks and O’Brien’s abrasive and erratic coaching style became a greater issue within the organization. The front office wasn’t happy with how O’Brien had publicly chastised promising young center Roy Hibbert(notes), despite the player’s earnest efforts to improve.

More From Adrian Wojnarowski
Jimmer's magical ride should slow in NBA Jan 28, 2011
Nuggets' travels lead ’Melo back home Jan 26, 2011
There was no immediate confirmation on an interim coach, but multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports that former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown – once a Pacers assistant – will be a primary focus of the search to replace O’Brien on a long-term basis.

Brown was Rick Carlisle’s top assistant in Indiana from 2003-05 and sources said he has remained well-regarded by Pacers management.

Utah Jazz assistant coach Ty Corbin is also expected to be a strong candidate, sources said.

O’Brien was fired in a meeting with Pacers president Larry Bird on Sunday morning.

The Pacers hired O’Brien to replace Carlisle after the 2006-07 season. He leaves with a 121-169 record in three-plus seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AprihWIJc3hidY0JnLiD0Gm8vLYF?slug=aw-pacersobrien013011

itzryan07
01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
mike brown is a horrible coach

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I dont know much about Ty Corbin but if Jerry Sloan rubbed off on him, then bring him in. Im still undecided on Mike Brown

PR07
01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Would Mike Brown take over midseason? Would Corbin? Some interesting questions.

hoops_guy
01-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Are you serious? Anyone who can manage Lebron's ego, keep everyone happy, and use a consistent rotation is a good coach in my book anymore.

LucasRL13
01-30-2011, 01:41 PM

WTF???
Mike is a great coach, no doubt men :eek:

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Would Mike Brown take over midseason? Would Corbin? Some interesting questions.

Not unless u give them a multie yr deal. I think Herb wants to wait till he off seson to hire a long term coach and GM and President of b ball operations. Just in case Larry and Morway isnt retained

Brad8888
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
IMO, the Mike Brown who was seen in Cleveland doesn't really reflect his abilities as a head coach. He was under the full control of the "Decider", and freely admitted that Lebron basically ran the show on the floor and that it was pretty much his job to stay out of Lebron's way.

That said, it is hard to say if Mike Brown is the long term answer. He was excellent as an assistant to Carlisle, and previously to Popovich, and that has to have been a positive influence on his ability to understand basketball at a high level. Now, whether that translates into leadership and the ability to teach the game to young players as needed, I am not sure.

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
MikeWellsNBA (http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA)
Vogel may be the interim coach, but Larry Bird will have some say on who plays, according to a source.

PaceBalls
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Mike Brown would be ok, the guy is all about defense and is quite good at it. If he is the coach he needs alot of very skilled assistants who can help him with the offense. I want to see us bring in a great low post coach for Roy. Maybe Ewing or someone like that.

SMosley21
01-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I want Tyrone Corbin!!!!

Young
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I've read nothing but good things about Ty Corbin.

I like Mike Brown too. I would be worried about the offense but overall I really like him as a coach. If Brown was hired as head coach anyone have any idea as to what type of offense he would install and/or who would likely be on his staff?

I really hope the Pacers don't settle for a recycled coach like they did with Jim. I'd rather roll the dice on a top assisant like Corbin than go after average head coaches like O'Brien.

SMosley21
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
I've read nothing but good things about Ty Corbin.

I like Mike Brown too. I would be worried about the offense but overall I really like him as a coach.

I really hope the Pacers don't settle for a recycled coach like they did with Jim. I'd rather roll the dice on a top assisant like Corbin than go after average head coaches like O'Brien.

There were a couple of us trying to get people on the Corbin bandwagon here in the past week. Hopefully Larry makes it happen. The guy has been learning under Jerry-freaking-Sloan, and has been getting rave reviews around the NBA. We need a fresh face in here, and Corbin is still young enough to relate to the players.

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Let me just say that I would be ec-freaking-static with either coach. Hopefully we "Sloan" our next head coach he's so good.

Pacersalltheway10
01-30-2011, 02:03 PM
If Corbin is an image of Sloan, I don't want him here right now. Sloan hardly ever Plays the young guys.

xIndyFan
01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
MikeWellsNBA (http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA)
Vogel may be the interim coach, but Larry Bird will have some say on who plays, according to a source.

:laugh: some say being defined as picking the rotation and minutes played.

LoneGranger33
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
If Corbin is an image of Sloan, I don't want him here right now. Sloan hardly ever Plays the young guys.

I don't know if that's a fair statement. He gave Wesley Matthews (an undrafted 23 year old) a good amount of playing time. I've always liked the Jazz, so maybe I'm biased, but I think he gives the good players - regardless of age or experience - a chance to prove themselves.

cdash
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I would be shocked if the next permanent head coach of the Pacers is anyone other than Mike Brown.

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Im leaning towards Ty Corbin, but would be happy with Mike Brown.

luis3ep
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't want a rookie coach. I want an experienced proven coach who is a winner. With the right coach, this team has so much potential for the next decade.

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't want a rookie coach. I want an experienced proven coach who is a winner. With the right coach, this team has so much potential for the next decade.
I think the Jazz are winners.

Aw Heck
01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
I think the job is Mike Brown's if he wants it. Mike had a good experience here. The front office is obviously familiar with him from the Carlisle days and likes him.

I think Ty Corbin gets the offer if Brown turns it down for whatever reason.

luis3ep
01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
I think the Jazz are winners.

winners that will never make it to the nba finals. winners that will win 45-50 games a season with nothing to show for it in the playoffs. pass.

SMosley21
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
winners that will never make it to the nba finals. winners that will win 45-50 games a season with nothing to show for it in the playoffs. pass.

That's pretty unfair. How many Finals has Mike Brown coached a team to? I'll answer that for you. He's done it once and that was with the best player in the NBA... and they got swept.

Marlin
01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I think the job is Mike Brown's if he wants it. Mike had a good experience here. The front office is obviously familiar with him from the Carlisle days and likes him.

I think Ty Corbin gets the offer if Brown turns it down for whatever reason.

Agreed. Besides, can anyone update me on Corbin? Is he supposed to be like Sloan, coaching style and all?

luis3ep
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
That's pretty unfair. How many Finals has Mike Brown coached a team to? I'll answer that for you. He's done it once and that was with the best player in the NBA... and they got swept.

to be honest LeBron couldn't do it himself. He didn't have that good of a supporting cast around him. Imagine if lebron had a star next to him like the previous billion champions have. Lakers = Kobe, Gasol, adn with great company like Artest, Fisher, Odom. Celtics = big 3 plus rondo, perkins. If we play our cards right we could have a great team in a couple years.

Young
I want to add this

If I had to guess I think that Mike Brown will be the next head coach. It makes sense assuming he liked it here. He is familar with the organization. He would improve this team a lot.

We would maximize the defensive potential on this team. However Mike Brown has some flaws that worry me.

From reading the Cavs board on RealGM he isn't good at making adjustments. This is key in a playoff series. Questionable rotations, poor offense, players walk over him, and no play design were some of the complimants.

This would be contributed to a number of things. One is the people who posted that just might be wrong. Or it could have to do with coaching Lebron. He might have had his hands tied.

This all worries me. He would have to have a heck of an offensive coach on his staff.

jeffg-body
I'd be happy with either guy at the helm. I would be ecstatic if we could add the other as a top assistant, but that is more of a pipe dream.;)

Trophy
01-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I'd be happy with either of these guys.

LetsTalkPacers
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
to be honest LeBron couldn't do it himself. He didn't have that good of a supporting cast around him. Imagine if lebron had a star next to him like the previous billion champions have. Lakers = Kobe, Gasol, adn with great company like Artest, Fisher, Odom. Celtics = big 3 plus rondo, perkins. If we play our cards right we could have a great team in a couple years.
But we dont have one legit all star, so what can he do with that

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

THAT team was bulit perfectly for Lebron a lot of shooters and role players he would have won a title if he stayed there

ilive4sports
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I would welcome either guy. I'm more familiar with Mike Brown and I liked him in Cleveland. We didn't really see the offense he can install because he had such an incredible talent in LeBron.

Plus I could see Mike talking in practice and say Granger isn't going hard enough, Brown could be like "LeBron does this, LeBron does that, why arent you?" I think Brown could really push Granger with stuff like that because of how Granger is with personal battles like that.

Sookie
01-30-2011, 03:10 PM
THAT team was bulit perfectly for Lebron a lot of shooters and role players he would have won a title if he stayed there

The team was built perfectly for the offense Lebron wanted to run. It allowed Lebron to score at will and pad his assist stats. However, that offense was never going to win in the playoffs. Teams like Boston knew how how to stop it.

IUfan4life
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM
we are barely scoring 90 with JOB, imagine how many we score with Mike Brown

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
The team was built perfectly for the offense Lebron wanted to run. It allowed Lebron to score at will and pad his assist stats. However, that offense was never going to win in the playoffs. Teams like Boston knew how how to stop it.

na Lebron quit that series

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
can we have a moritoruim on complaining about the Pacers coach. it got so old, i would love to have a little breather before many of you start on whoever the new coach is going to be

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
can we have a moritoruim on complaining about the Pacers coach. it got so old, i would love to have a little breather before many of you start on whoever the new coach is going to be

It's a rumour, not an opinion.

QuickRelease
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Mike Brown would be ok, the guy is all about defense and is quite good at it. If he is the coach he needs alot of very skilled assistants who can help him with the offense. I want to see us bring in a great low post coach for Roy. Maybe Ewing or someone like that.
Ewing might leave Orlando for a head coaching job. But why would he leave Orlando as an assistant working with Dwight Howard to come to Indiana as an assistant working with Roy? The Georgetown connection? Is it strong enough to leave a potential championship situation? I don't know. Although, Orlando is a pretty shaky situation when compared to the other elite contenders.

Heisenberg
01-30-2011, 06:31 PM
On NBATV Wells said "keep an eye on Dwane Casey." Wasn't really clear if that was just a name that HE thinks will be in the mix or if he's actually heard him mentioned by the organization.

ilive4sports
01-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Ewing might leave Orlando for a head coaching job. But why would he leave Orlando as an assistant working with Dwight Howard to come to Indiana as an assistant working with Roy? The Georgetown connection? Is it strong enough to leave a potential championship situation? I don't know. Although, Orlando is a pretty shaky situation when compared to the other elite contenders.

Agreed, unless he feels like he has taken Dwight as far as he can (which is doubtful) or he just wants to help out his fellow Hoya.

MnvrChvy
01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
One big benefit of coming to coach in Indiana is that Larry Bird gives his coach complete control. Even if Brown has a reputation for getting rolled over by his players, Bird would put a major smack down on that.

Pacerized
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I think having an interim coach now will be best for the long term. Once we have the cap space and if we bring in just 1 star quality player by either trade or free agency then we'll look a lot more attractive to a big name coach.

PacerGuy
01-30-2011, 07:37 PM

I thought I was the lone voice giving Pat some love.
IMO he has paid his dues as an assist. (unlike M.Jackson), & has played/ coached in half-court & up-tempo systems. He is from L.Birds era, making him a target (again, IMO). I also think coaching for a guy like Larry would drive Patrick, as a peer, he would want to work hard for him & prove himself to him.
I would also LOVE to have him work w/ Roy, as I see some of Ewings physical short-commings in Roy, yet Patrick overcame them & was a force on BOTH ends of the court.

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't really see the Ewing love.. Can someone elaborate why he'd be such a good coach other than the fact that he was a HOFer?

ilive4sports
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't really see the Ewing love.. Can someone elaborate why he'd be such a good coach other than the fact that he was a HOFer?

He has done quite a good job with Dwight Howard, thats really all we have to judge him on. Plus hes been on Orlando's bench while they have made a championship run and deep playoff runs.

I'm not sure how he would be as a head coach.

tflo
01-30-2011, 07:47 PM
hey what do guys think about bringing Steve Alford here. I think he has proven to be a good Coach, He has turned UNM basketball around.

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
hey what do guys think about bringing Steve Alford here. I think he has proven to be a good Coach, He has turned UNM basketball around.

Hell no

Kstat
01-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Ty Corbin is a pretty bright guy. He's currently paying his dues.

Mike Brown is a defensive guru but absolutely clueless on offense.

Pacers24Colts12
01-30-2011, 08:12 PM
What do you guys think of these guys?

Mike Brown
Mike Woodson (my choice, turned freakin ATL around)
Lawrence Frank
Sam Mitchell
Mark Jackson

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
What do you guys think of these guys?

Mike Brown
Mike Woodson (my choice, turned freakin ATL around)
Lawrence Frank
Sam Mitchell
Mark Jackson

1. Yes
2. Last resort, maybe
3. No
4. NO
5. NO way

beast23
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM

Mike Brown is a defensive guru but absolutely clueless on offense.I would agree that Brown is a defensive guru.

I don't honestly know how anyone can make a claim on his knowledge regarding offense...positively or negatively.

All I can say about Brown is that we would play the best defense that our group of guys is capable of playing. But I don't have a clue about how we would play offense other than to say that we would have to play an offense much closer to a traditional offensive system than we have in the last 3-1/2 years.

As for Corbin, I don't know one darned thing about him.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Mike Brown is a defensive guru but absolutely clueless on offense.

I understand your point. But in order to be a defensive guru wouldn't you have to know something about offense

tflo
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Hell no

I am not familiar with Indiana collage basketball but can some one explain why you dont like Steve Alford coaching the Pacers? I think he is one of the best coaches in collage basketball today. I personally think he could turn around this young Indiana team around.

Shade
01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
My primary concern with Brown is that his rotations tend to be wonky. Not really any worse than JOB's, but still, I've had more than enough of that crap.

I also think he's a little too passive at times.

Otherwise, I think he's a solid coach.

Kegboy
01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I am not familiar with Indiana collage basketball but can some one explain why you dont like Steve Alford coaching the Pacers? I think he is one of the best coaches in collage basketball today. I personally think he could turn around this young Indiana team around.

The key word is college. Name the last college coach who was successful in the NBA.

beast23
01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
I understand your point. But in order to be a defensive guru wouldn't you have to know something about offenseBoy am I stupid or what?

A correcton to my previous post.... Brown is a defensive guru. It is not possible to say how Brown's teams would play offense from our observations of his Cleveland years, but due to his ability to employ excellent defensive principles, it is likely that he has a decent knowledge of offense.

All kidding aside, thank you for helping me see the obvious.

pwee31
01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
The key word is college. Name the last college coach who was successful in the NBA.

Larry Brown?

Kegboy
01-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Larry Brown?

He had two pro head coaching jobs before he ever coached college.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 08:46 PM
My primary concern with Brown is that his rotations tend to be wonky. Not really any worse than JOB's, but still, I've had more than enough of that crap.

I also think he's a little too passive at times.

Otherwise, I think he's a solid coach.

what does wonky mean? By the book like Carlisle?

Sookie
01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
what does wonky mean? By the book like Carlisle?

His rotations don't make sense on occassion.

pwee31
01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
It's nice to think about possible long term candidates, but I'm just going to sit back and see what Vogel can do.

He's young, been in the league 14 years... let's see what he's made of.

Kstat
01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I understand your point. But in order to be a defensive guru wouldn't you have to know something about offense

If that were true, every great defender would also be a great offensive player.

Mike Brown is good at gumming up the works. He's awful at making his own team run smoother.

Unclebuck
01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
If that were true, every great defender would also be a great offensive player.
Mike Brown is good at gumming up the works. He's awful at making his own team run smoother.

No most players are just physically incapable of playing both ends

I just don't know about brown's offense. He's never coached a team that doesn't have Lebron, so I'm not ready to say that he cannot be a good offensive coach, at the very least I am not ready to rule him out because of it

CableKC
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Without reading too much in this thread...my initial thought on any major Coaching changes is that I don't want to consider anyone until I know whether Bird will stay on for the long term or if we will have a new President leading the FO this offseason.

indygeezer
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Agreed Cable..........the new FO person would want to make his own decision as to the coach..not have a coach already decided before he got here.

How about Larry Brown? Again. He's great teaching guys to play the game and getting them motivated to be better as a unit. (It;s us against all of them!! Of course the knock was he always wanted to trade away players)

dgranger17
01-30-2011, 09:58 PM
If it's not Frank Vogel (who Larry said in the press conference would be the first interview) or Larry Bird, give me somebody young and black.

Obviously Corbin fits that bill, but Vogel and Bird are 1a and 1b

I love this team

CircleCity3318
01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=dgranger17;1150994]If it's not Frank Vogel (who Larry said in the press conference would be the first interview) or Larry Bird, give me somebody young and black.

What does being black have to do with anything? Just give me a great coach I dont really care what color he is.

BringJackBack
01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
What does being black have to do with anything? Just give me a great coach I dont really care what color he is.

99% of his posts he is just joking around.

McKeyFan
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
give me somebody young and black.

:picard:

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I would say that if the next coach is Mike Brown, they better try to get some type of offensive guru as an assistant to help him out, he is a solid coach but sometimes he gets stuck in some weird rotations(no playing Hickson at the right time last year in the playoffs)

Kstat
01-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Not quite sure this is the thread to make those kinds of requests....

Kstat
01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
No most players are just physically incapable of playing both ends

...while many coaches are just mentally incapable of coaching both ends. You just fired one.

pwee31
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I would say that if the next coach is Mike Brown, they better try to get some type of offensive guru as an assistant to help him out, he is a solid coach but sometimes he gets stuck in some weird rotations(no playing Hickson at the right time last year in the playoffs)

In all fairness he was put in between a rock in a hard place with the trade for Jamison.

He was going to be blame for any outcome other than a Championship, and as well can all see, that team wasn't any good aside from Lebron.

Shaq old and done. Jamison old and done, were their big moves to help Lebron last year...seriously?

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
...while many coaches are just mentally incapable of coaching both ends. You just fired one.

JOB couldnt coach ethier end in my view his "help defense" defensive schme sucked and his offense was Horrible chucking way to many bad shots. Premieter offense sucks i perfer inside out if u are playing a primeter offense. I like attacking the rim and higher % shots

pacer4ever
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
:picard:

I sit next to him at pacer games he is always joking dont take that comment serious.

He chants out Confence Finals during the whole game and Larry Legend classic

vnzla81
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
In all fairness he was put in between a rock in a hard place with the trade for Jamison.

He was going to be blame for any outcome other than a Championship, and as well can all see, that team wasn't any good aside from Lebron.

Shaq old and done. Jamison old and done, were their big moves to help Lebron last year...seriously?

I agree, I just hope that if he is the next coach he finds a way to run a better offense because the one he had in Cleveland was not that good.

dgranger17
01-30-2011, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=dgranger17;1150994]

I'd say on average roughly 8-10 players per 15 man roster in the NBA is black. Most of those are young. From a white person's point of view, I truly believe that any young and black guy with any type of playing or coaching experience will be very successful.

Obviously, there are exceptions. Rumor has it, one of the most famous "great teammates" of all time (LeBron James), pushed Mike Brown (African-American) out of a job and the Cavs new coach (former player with coaching experience... and African-American) isn't doing too well right now, but this is still my opinion.

Also, I like to lighten the mood around here with over the top comments and whatnot, but what I say is how I feel. I really love Larry, I really think Larry is a genius, I really think if we play how we're capable of playing that we'll be in the Conference Finals (and hopefully win), I really think if Vogel or Bird aren't patrolling the sideline that a young black coach will be successful with the help of solid veteran role players.

Die. Na. Stie

Trophy
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Lets get back on track.

dgranger17
01-30-2011, 10:35 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Lets get back on track.

Back on track? I never left track....

Frank Vogel will be a great coach.

If Simon disagrees, then Larry gets next dibs.

If Larry turns it down, bring in somebody who can relate to the NBA culture and lifestyle.

I also mentioned the Conference Finals, which is an extremely positive view of our organization. It wasn't ridiculous until you labeled it ridiculous bub

HIB HIB!!!

Grover
01-31-2011, 09:09 AM
... give me somebody young, gifted and black.
Aretha?

pwee31
01-31-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree, I just hope that if he is the next coach he finds a way to run a better offense because the one he had in Cleveland was not that good.

I thought his offense (or whoever was running the Cavs offense) had a nice flow whenever Lebron was out of the game plan.

I remember a game at the end of the year last year, where Lebron, Shaq, Boobie, Mo, and Jamison were all out, and we had our standard rotation, and only won by 3 points. The Cavs really mixed it up, and everyone was involved. Took a really good shooting night from the Pacers to win that game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=ArSW1xYV7OfSOkxIq1vDD_SkvLYF?gid=201 0040905

CableKC
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Agreed Cable..........the new FO person would want to make his own decision as to the coach..not have a coach already decided before he got here.

How about Larry Brown? Again. He's great teaching guys to play the game and getting them motivated to be better as a unit. (It;s us against all of them!! Of course the knock was he always wanted to trade away players)
Uhhh...pass on Larry Brown. He's not a fan of playing young Players and he quits when the going gets tough.

I prefer that we find a Coach that will fit the vision of WHOEVER is going to lead the FO. If it's Bird and he thinks that Mike Brown or Tyron Corbin is the right guy...no problem.

What I don't want is for Bird to sign Brown or Corbin to a long-term contract...then decides to hang it up after a season where we then get a new FO that will want to get a Coach that fits whatever "new vision" that the FO wants to go after.

To me....we are in the perfect position to decide the long-term vision/goals of the Team for the next 4 to 5 seasons...the question AGAIN hinders on what Bird decides to do.

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Aretha?

:laugh:

pacer4ever
01-31-2011, 05:07 PM

I love this team

Beyonce?

or maybe Candy ?

Spirit
02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
No thanks. Give Vogel a chance and if he doesn't deliver, then we can look but I do not like Mike Brown.

HC
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Brian Shaw anyone?

Blink
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Mike Davis? :zip:

LA_Confidential
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
With our next coach, my thing is, He's gotta light a fire under his players. Laimbeer seems like the perfect coach to motivate our young impressionable team.

It seems like Obie was an arse but Vogel may be a little too far on the other end of the pendulum. I really really wanna see Laimbeer on our sidelines.

He'd do wonders for Roy and Tyler, give them some attitude/edge.
It doesnt hurt that Laimbeer looks like the type of coach that will stand up for his players when games are getting out of hand either(*******y officiating).

Sookie
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
With our next coach, my thing is, He's gotta light a fire under his players. Laimbeer seems like the perfect coach to motivate our young impressionable team.

It seems like Obie was an arse but Vogel may be a little too far on the other end of the pendulum. I really really wanna see Laimbeer on our sidelines.

He'd do wonders for Roy and Tyler, give them some attitude/edge.
It doesnt hurt that Laimbeer looks like the type of coach that will stand up for his players when games are getting out of hand either(*******y officiating).

You know, I was very much in favor of Laimbeer. And he has had some very good relationships with his players. But now I'm concerned about Bill and Roy.

Bill was upset with Swin Cash because of her work ethic (apparently, I don't really buy it. I think she was just struggling to come back from her injuries) But that relationship got really ugly.

So as much as I think he's probably the best coach available, I am a bit hesitant now.

LA_Confidential
02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
You know, I was very much in favor of Laimbeer. And he has had some very good relationships with his players. But now I'm concerned about Bill and Roy.

Bill was upset with Swin Cash because of her work ethic (apparently, I don't really buy it. I think she was just struggling to come back from her injuries) But that relationship got really ugly.

So as much as I think he's probably the best coach available, I am a bit hesitant now.

But Roy's work ethic isnt the question. We all know that Roy is willing to work for it. It was being constantly beaten down that took a toll on him. I just get the feeling that guys like Tyler and Roy would be endeared too Laimbeer.

In the event that Laimbeer is a jerk, which i dont take from any of his interviews ive see, Im pretty sure he'd tone it down a notch simply because of how things turned out with OB. This would be his first gig, and i dont think he'd come into it with malice intent.

Maybe im just being unrealistic or too hopeful but i would be pumped if he was the next guy.

31andonly
02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
HIB HIB!!!

Hooroy!

Kstat
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Laimbeer lost Swin Cash because she got sick of being yelled at. Same with Ruth Riley.

That said, the players who could deal with his temper all excelled every season. Laimbeer picked up a lot from Chuck Daly. His high post sets are very efficient.

Heisenberg
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Am I just being, I don't know, narrow minded when I say we won't see Bird and Laimbeer working together even after hell freezes over?

Kstat
02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Laimbeer working under a former Celtic? Nah. It's about as likely as Laimbeer working under a former Laker....

CableKC
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Am I just being, I don't know, narrow minded when I say we won't see Bird and Laimbeer working together even after hell freezes over?
Where have you been for the last week?

Hell did freeze over....remember the ice storm last week after JO'B was let go?

thatch3232
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
This is Roy with Ty Corbin workin in a pre-draft workout, thought it was pretty cool!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385&d=1296857092

Kegboy
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

As I recall, Laimbeer thought pretty much the same thing when he was asked about it.