PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports / Pacer's Plans

PacerGuy
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14614810/postups-cubans-push-for-nbarun-world-hoops-event-no-crazy-idea

Alleged unrest in the Pacers' organization has been somewhat overblown, though there remains a significant degree of uncertainty as to whether team president Larry Bird, on the last year of his contract, will be back next season. That has more to do with Bird deciding his future than it does with owner Herb Simon's level of happiness with the direction of the team. "Larry loves the job," a person familiar with Bird's thinking said. "He's extremely competitive and knows he's really close to rebuilding the thing and I think he wants to be there to be a part of it and do it." Speculation about significant organizational changes has stemmed from the fact that Bird's contract has the same expiration date as GM David Morway's and coach Jim O'Brien's. That was by design, according to a source who said Simon agreed to give the trio three years to put the franchise on the right footing after the decline that followed the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004. The plan all along has been for Simon to evaluate everyone after the season, but one source said the owner is "happy" with the progress of the team. Having said that, if Bird decides to walk away, the domino effect could be significant. The key player in this whose future would appear to be most uncertain is O'Brien, to whom Bird recently gave a faint vote of confidence by saying he'll be evaluated after the season. Currently, there are no plans to make an in-season coaching change, but Pacers officials wouldn't rule it out if the losing continues.

Indeed, the Pacers have lost 16 of 21 and appear to have little chance of climbing into the playoff hunt. So what is Simon so happy about? Bird and Morway have created arguably the most cap flexibility in the league heading into a summer of labor uncertainty, and there's reason to be forward-looking with the potential of Roy Hibbert, Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough. Obviously, they need more size and another scorer to complement Danny Granger (who has struggled in the absence of another legitimate option) and point guard Darren Collison. That's where three key pieces come into play: the expiring contracts of Jeff Foster, Mike Dunleavy and T.J. Ford. The plan had been to let those contracts, totaling $27 million, fall off the books and make the Pacers a significant player in the next two free-agent classes. But things change; with no concrete knowledge of what $27 million in cap space will be worth under a new CBA, the Pacers "would aggressively pursue a deal now" for one of those expiring contracts if the right player were offered, according to a person familiar with the team's strategy. Such a move would allow Bird, who as noted above could be on his way out, to convert expiring money into a known asset rather than wait until the summer, when its exact worth will be unknown.

Had not seen this yet. Not a lot "new", but clarifies what L.Bird might be thinking, both for himself and as the deadline comes closer. IMO Foster & Dunleavy are making themselves very attractive & we might have to pull the trigger. If so, there will atleast be some excitement, & maybe enough Pacer fans will get off the negatives & start seeing the change. It has been a loing time, but it is almost here. Not sure if the winning is as close as the change, but I am excited none the less.

beast23
01-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Currently, there are no plans to make an in-season coaching change, but Pacers officials wouldn't rule it out if the losing continues.

Not a lot new as you state, except for maybe the statement above. It's the first time that I have seen anything other than a 100% vote of confidence behind JOB attributed to the Pacers. Of course, this is 3rd party, an unnamed source. But before, the only statement Bird has really made is that they are weary of the losing.

I guess that is the initial step in closing the gap between what a lot of us want and where TPTB is (or was).

heywoode
01-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree.

I hope Bird is back, don't really know Morway or whether he's good or not, but JOB has GOT to go. Bring in a player friendly, young coach who runs a fast offense and a physical, athletic defense....

I hope there is success with the CBA so there isn't a work stoppage, and I hope that the Pacers can make a splash with some money to spend on free agents. I think that the organization is looking more lucrative for bigger ticket players to want to come here...and we're finally in the financial position to do something about it. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we can bring in a player or two (and get rid of just a few...) who will make an impact and fill in the missing holes.

I feel like even though we aren't winning games, we show flashes of promise on a fairly regular basis. This being despite the fact that it would be VERY easy for players to really tune out JOB as it appears more and more likely that he's on the way out...I wonder if there is some team unity within the players themselves to see the potential with just some tweakage to the team, and if they aren't trying to ride it out, play tough and gain experience, while knowing that the ultimate goal is going to still be a year or two away. I hope so. If they haven't addressed that idea, as their own group that can make it's own decisions, they need to.

This franchise and city can be GREAT. We are on the cusp of starting another era of very competitive play, and I think, the possibility of great success. I really hope that the players and other members of the team who are going to be around long term can remain excited about that possibility starting to gather steam to get to being a REALITY.

BringJackBack
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I agree.

I hope Bird is back, don't really know Morway or whether he's good or not, but JOB has GOT to go. Bring in a player friendly, young coach who runs a fast offense and a physical, athletic defense....

I hope there is success with the CBA so there isn't a work stoppage, and I hope that the Pacers can make a splash with some money to spend on free agents. I think that the organization is looking more lucrative for bigger ticket players to want to come here...and we're finally in the financial position to do something about it. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we can bring in a player or two (and get rid of just a few...) who will make an impact and fill in the missing holes.

I feel like even though we aren't winning games, we show flashes of promise on a fairly regular basis. This being despite the fact that it would be VERY easy for players to really tune out JOB as it appears more and more likely that he's on the way out...I wonder if there is some team unity within the players themselves to see the potential with just some tweakage to the team, and if they aren't trying to ride it out, play tough and gain experience, while knowing that the ultimate goal is going to still be a year or two away. I hope so. If they haven't addressed that idea, as their own group that can make it's own decisions, they need to.

This franchise and city can be GREAT. We are on the cusp of starting another era of very competitive play, and I think, the possibility of great success. I really hope that the players and other members of the team who are going to be around long term can remain excited about that possibility starting to gather steam to get to being a REALITY.

Best post I've read in a while.

Get Nate McMillan or Mike Brown at the helm, pick up one of David West, Nene, or Luis Scola, pick up a good third big, have a top 10 pick, and have our young guys have a strong and solid summer and we're ready to get cooking. Maybe pick up a good starting 2 for the time being while George may not be ready yet (I feel he is ready already though)

Pacerized
01-30-2011, 12:47 AM
I agree with the thought that Bird will be back but I wish he'd just come out and say it. I think it would be better for the stability of the franchise. It wouldn't have been too hard for Berger to look up what salary we really have coming off the books which is a lot more then 27 mil that he points out. If we don't make a big trade at the deadline we all need to hope for the toughest cap possible to come out of the new cba. We'll have one of the 3 lowest payrolls in the nba to work with and it could end up being a buyers market if teams have to jettison payroll quickly. I feel confident that Bird will make the right decisions with the cap space we have. I wish he'd pull the trigger on a new coach but I do realize the team will be more attractive to lure in a top coach next season then it is right now.

NuffSaid
01-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I wish he[Bird]'d pull the trigger on a new coach but I do realize the team will be more attractive to lure in a top coach next season then it is right now.
Trigger pulled effectively at 4:00pm CST. O'Brien's out; Vogel's in as interim head coach.

YIPPY!!!