PDA

View Full Version : becoming a winning team and attendance change

Scot Pollard
01-29-2011, 03:53 PM
when we win a lot more games and make the playoffs how will our attendance look?

im predicting a solid average of 16212 per game once this team is having a winning season and playoff contenders

no doubt we will see sellouts in all of our home playoff games in the series hopefully we make it good once we get back to the wonderful playoffs where the indiana pacers belong

xIndyFan
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
winning is such an imprecise word. 42 wins is winning so is 62 wins. but i agree with the premise. the way to increase attendance is winning. 42 win season will get more people in the seats, 62 wins would fill conseco every night.

Scot Pollard
01-29-2011, 04:02 PM
while on my way home from work i was listening to jmv on the radio and he started mentioning pacers attendance dipping since not being in the playoffs since 2006

he said once this team is relevant then they will see a large increase

people want to see their teams winning and in the playoffs thats why the colts have such big crowds

so its up to the team and they need to win and get into the playoffs and it all starts with a new coach because we have good players who are more than likely a playoff team

Scot Pollard
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
pacer4ever

care to explain your decision that the attendance isnt going to change even if were in the playoffs?

croz24
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
indy is very much a bandwagon town. if the pacers prove their worth for a couple of seasons in a row, i wouldn't be surprised to see an average of 16,000+ fans.

PacerPenguins
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
indy is very much a bandwagon town. if the pacers prove their worth for a couple of seasons in a row, i wouldn't be surprised to see an average of 16,000+ fans.

people like us r the only true fans

Sollozzo
01-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Indy is no more bandwagon than anywhere else. The bottom line is that no one anywhere is interested in poor NBA basketball. The teams who win do very well, the others not so much.

Look at Philly: It's one of the largest markets in the US yet they are at the very bottom in attendance because the Sixers suck. And don't let Boston fans fool you. They weren't selling out in the years before the big 3 were in place because they sucked and there were better shows in town with the Pats and Sox (sounds like us with the Colts). In fact, despite Boston having a larger arena than us, we actually beat them in attendance in 2005. That should never happen given that they have a larger arena and play in a metropolitan area with millions of more people. Plus they are the Boston Celtics - the most successful franchise in the history of the NBA.

Bad attendance isn't an Indy problem, it's a no one wanting to see crappy NBA basketball problem. The NBA shot itself in the foot with all of the unnecessary expansion that has watered down the league. 16 teams make the playoffs now, which is the same amount that were making it in the mid 80's. The problem is that you've added about 7 or so teams to the league since then, which only means that there are going to be 7 more teams in the lottery given that the number making the playoffs stays the same. The league would be better if teams like the Grizzlies, Raptors, and Bobcats didn't exist. All expansion has done is guarantee more bottom feeding teams.

jeffg-body
01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I look at it this way, a lot of people may only to be able to afford either Colts of Pacers tickets. They will choose the one that they enjoy the most and winning makes for an enjoyable night.

Sollozzo
01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I was at the Nets game last night. Unless you really care about the Pacers or NBA basketball then you're likely going to find bottom feeder NBA basketball in a dead arena to be a very boring thing.

The Pacers play 41 games a year here. If you have a casual interest then you'll maybe go see them when the Celtics, Lakers or Heat come to town. But in rough economic times, one of the first things that can be cut out is paying to watch bad NBA basketball. There is just too much else to do on a Friday night, plus the games start at a time which is somewhat tough for a lot of people to make.

Bball
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I agree with Adam. IMHO For the longest time Pacer fans were sold a bill of goods about the market to help justify a certain level of activity (or lack thereof) on the part of management.

As Adam says, all teams when they are not winning have lower attendance. When they suck it goes down even more. When they do nothing to energize the fanbase it drops even more. And when they win the attendance goes back up. And when they contend it goes up even more and sellouts become part of the conversation.

The difference in those teams and Indy is people understand there that is how it works and so there isn't a stream of people in those cities bemoaning their cities as being filled with bandwagoners (as if that's somehow different than other cities).

Trophy
01-30-2011, 12:36 AM
I think the following season after making the playoffs, we'll average a couple hundred over 15,000.

Scot Pollard
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
:bump:

now im interested in everyones take

what will our attendance look like next season now that we made the playoffs?

im still going with 16,000+

theres no reason our recent run in the playoffs is ignored here

more season ticket packages will be purchased i think

BillS
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Too early to tell - a lockout could destroy any momentum we build based on the playoffs, maybe barring a miracle Finals berth or NBA championship.

KingGeorge
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
:bump:

now im interested in everyones take

what will our attendance look like next season now that we made the playoffs?

im still going with 16,000+

theres no reason our recent run in the playoffs is ignored here

more season ticket packages will be purchased i think

We still have to remember that the majority of people in Indiana are bandwagon fans.

We are playing great basketball right now, but if we are not able to get a win against the Bulls people aren't going to take us seriously.

I also think it has a lot to do with how we start off the season next year(if we have a season), and how we do in free agency.

I think we will average around 15,000 next year, and attendance will go up as the team starts to grow.

Scot Pollard
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Too early to tell - a lockout could destroy any momentum we build based on the playoffs, maybe barring a miracle Finals berth or NBA championship.

you're probably right

if there is any kind of lockout it might be tough for any team to get people to buy ticket packs for that season

i think its safe to say we wont be last in attendance though

Lou Bega
04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Certain games will sell out. I do not think Pacers Sports Marketing and Entertainment does a good job with customer service. I am not renewing my tickets due to their poor service towards me this season.

BillS
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
you're probably right

if there is any kind of lockout it might be tough for any team to get people to buy ticket packs for that season

i think its safe to say we wont be last in attendance though

I can definitely say that the season ticket sales for next year are at least 2 ... but then, I renewed ours back in February :D

Scot Pollard
04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
i remember the year the fieldhouse opened and we went to the finals that year we soldout every game

even in 2006, we were getting 16000+

thats why i think we will average that because we made the playoffs this year and we made the playoffs that year

KingGeorge
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
i remember the year the fieldhouse opened and we went to the finals that year we soldout every game

even in 2006, we were getting 16000+

thats why i think we will average that because we made the playoffs this year and we made the playoffs that year

Yes, but many of the people were still following us after the Finals appearance and we were making the playoffs every year up until that time.

After we had the 5-year drought, people just assumed we suck.

Don't worry, the Fieldhouse will be packed before we know it.