PDA

View Full Version : Too bad KG won't get suspended for this

Basketball Fan
01-29-2011, 01:42 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eRPZbBxWWwI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

beast23
01-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Why should he get suspended?

On the contact on the shot, the entire foul was sold by Frye. It wasn't even what a soccer player would call a "flick". It was just the hand extended toward the player and making light contact, if much contact at all.

On the confrontation, both players approached each other and "touched" foreheads. It's not like one player head-butted the other. Again, not much contact at all.

presto123
01-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Why should he get suspended?

On the contact on the shot, the entire foul was sold by Frye. It wasn't even what a soccer player would call a "flick". It was just the hand extended toward the player and making light contact, if much contact at all.

On the confrontation, both players approached each other and "touched" foreheads. It's not like one player head-butted the other. Again, not much contact at all.

I agree. It looked like a flop to me. I think he barely touched him.

rexnom
01-29-2011, 02:10 AM
KG hit him in the groin and did the dirty "Bruce Bowen foot under landing space" move. Awful. I'm a big KG fan but this is just awful. Hopefully there's serious repercussions.

Psyren
01-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Looked like a flop to me.

Not the first time Frye has acted like a baby.

ilive4sports
01-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I agree. It looked like a flop to me. I think he barely touched him.

Ever hear of a ball tap? Doesn't need to be hit hard to hurt like a :censored: Its pretty classless of Garnett to do it. I mean come on, thats against man code.

presto123
01-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Ever hear of a ball tap? Doesn't need to be hit hard to hurt like a :censored: Its pretty classless of Garnett to do it. I mean come on, thats against man code.

Sorry...that man code thing made me laugh:laugh: But you're right.

beast23
01-29-2011, 02:34 AM
KG hit him in the groin and did the dirty "Bruce Bowen foot under landing space" move. Awful. I'm a big KG fan but this is just awful. Hopefully there's serious repercussions.I'll give you the foot, but get real. There was no "hitting" of the groin, just simply motion in that direction to attempt to distract the shooter. Nothing more than you see happen 15 times every game.

CircleCity3318
01-29-2011, 02:53 AM
I'll give you the foot, but get real. There was no "hitting" of the groin, just simply motion in that direction to attempt to distract the shooter. Nothing more than you see happen 15 times every game.

Your kidding right? Kg clearly went out of his way to hit him there. Maybe if that punk didn't have such a history of doing dirty things on the court then it would be perceived as an accident. But the fact is that idiot does stuff like this all the time. This is why I hate kg and his stupid *** antics.

Merz
01-29-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry but you can't go around hitting people in the nuts...I don't care if it's "just a tap" or not.

Make a play on the ball, not the balls.

Dr. Awesome
01-29-2011, 03:08 AM
I'll start by coming clean and saying I have hated KG ever since he became a Celtic. He seems like a very classless person, and I can never respect that. Hell, even after Artest messed up here, I still love the guy because I think he has a genuine heart. I don't think KG is a good person, I just don't.

However, when I first saw the play happen, I was thinking, as much as I hate KG, thats nothing more than a ticky tac foul. In todays game it should be called, but I'd prefer stuff like that would just be let go(miss you 90's bball when people had balls). Then, the announcers(I wanna say Kenny Smith...not sure I've had a lot of whiskey/rum 0_0) talked about how he put his foot underneath him, so I went back and looked. That was a very dirty play and could have seriously injured Frye. To go further, it looked intentional...obviously I'm really in no place to say what was going through KG's mind, but it looked very intentional to me. Do I think KG would purposely hurt someone outside of basketball, no. However, everyone knows how competitive he is and in the heat of the moment can say and do horrible things. This looked intentional and if I'm Stern, I use KG as an example. Sure, he is one of the big names of the NBA, but they should not be allowed to get away with attempting to hurt someone. Use KG as an example, give him a 3 game suspension(once reviewed more...preferably by sober people) and make sure people don't ever try to do something like that again. If it happens again, go straight to 10 games, a serious injury could result from something like that and should not be taken lightly.

EDIT: As for hitting him in the nuts, that just wrong. If Frye isn't trying to protect that though, its his own fault. Come game time, especially when a 7 footer is around a bunch of guys smaller than him, a stray elbow could cripple a man, so if he's not prepared for that then I can't feel bad for him.

Trader Joe
01-29-2011, 03:27 AM
KG the weakest "tough" guy I've ever seen.

Pingu
01-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Evans got fined $10,000 for his 'move', but was not suspended. Why should KG be suspended? By these standards, a $5000 fine seems adequate.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cv1cBN8M-9I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

ballism
01-29-2011, 04:49 AM
And yet I'd love to have him on this team.

Heisenberg
01-29-2011, 05:01 AM
http://oi56.tinypic.com/2je4q2t.jpgThe "love tap" was just incidental I think. But putting his foot under Frye's as he came down wasn't.

Kid Minneapolis
01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
You guys are kiddin' yerselves if you think Garnett wasn't ball-tappin' Frye and then intentionally stickin his foot under him... he made zero play on the ball... his eyes were just watching the ball. Watch it.... he even made a lunge towards his nuts after Frye went into his shooting motion. Proper defense would have Garnett jumping in the air and placing a hand in front of Frye's line of sight --- and there is nothing close to that type of motion. His foot and hand were making no basketball play, he's completely down on the ground with no intentions of defending it the proper way. It was a classless frustration play in a game they were getting their butt kicked in.

He won't get suspended, but deserved a tech.

Basketball Fan
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Evans got fined $10,000 for his 'move', but was not suspended. Why should KG be suspended? By these standards, a $5000 fine seems adequate.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cv1cBN8M-9I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

There are people who were suspended over less(like the Suns leaving the bench to go to Steve Nash) and yet I don't get how this is somehow better in comparison of course its just me though.

PacersHomer
01-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I wish Frye would have punched him in his b*tch face.

Doug
01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
If I'm an NBA player and somebody intentionally puts their foot under me while I'm in the air, then I'm punching them in the face. Or strongly retaliating at the first opportune moment. Like a forearm to the side of the head next time I cut through the lane.

They are intentionally trying to injure me, and I'm going to make sure they know that is unacceptable in the strongest way possible.

graphic-er
01-29-2011, 06:30 PM
KG is the dirtiest player in the league, I hate him with a passion. If he was ever traded to the Pacers I would cease my pacer fandom until they got rid of him.

The ball tap was intentional, he led with an open hand and closed it up. The foot was intentional, he led with his foot. Thats not even a proper defensie for a guy who has over a decade in the league.

Also I love how KG backs up behind the official and then uses him as as shield, He did it earlier with when he and Pietrus got into it.

jeffg-body
01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
It looked really freaking dirty to me. If it were 10 years ago and he would have done similar to a Jazz player he may have ended up with a Karl Malone elbow to the head like Isiah Thomas got.

spreedom
01-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Garnett is my least favorite professional athlete of all time. Gutless cheapshot artist first, talented player second (also worth noting that he will never win a championship as "The Man" -- tell me how Paul Pierce's coattails taste).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASClJTnJ4I

Any help on how to embed this video would be great.

And also, I hate anyone that can look at this picture without wanting to punch something:

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.com/img/ben-gordon-kevin-garnett.JPG

pacer4ever
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FASClJTnJ4I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

quinnthology
01-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Who cares? In the Williams v. Williams thread you guys cheer about how the NBA was so much tougher and feistier back in the day. Believe that back in those feisty days this was happening every other game, and the foot move was a go-to defensive technique (just as dislodging is a defensive post standard today, even if it's against the rules).

I agree KG is dirty, and that there's no place for that, but it's funny how people talk about how soft the NBA is today yet whine when this happens. Nowadays you can't get away with dirty elbows and other "old school" roughness, so the dirty aspects of the game are more subtle. When we do spot them, we freak out and act like KG and Reggie Evans are the only culprits.

beast23
01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
If I'm an NBA player and somebody intentionally puts their foot under me while I'm in the air, then I'm punching them in the face. Or strongly retaliating at the first opportune moment. Like a forearm to the side of the head next time I cut through the lane.

They are intentionally trying to injure me, and I'm going to make sure they know that is unacceptable in the strongest way possible.Actually, if someone put their foot under me when I'm in the air, I'd handle it the same way Reggie Miller did. Rake the leg with the bottom of his shoe.

Stepping out with the foot and raising the near had high in the air seemed to be the favorite move of defenders against Reggie. I can recall one game when I was sitting behind the Knicks bench, watching Starks come out of the game to get a bandage applied to his leg because his skin was missing. Shoe tread makes for a mean abrasion. A couple of minutes later, as Reggie was running the baseline to lose Starks, Starks was paid off a second time, as he was flattened on an offensive foul by Dale Davis.

You simply handle it in such a way that the player will think twice before doing it again, at least in the same game anyway.

Indra
01-30-2011, 03:48 AM
I would LOVE for a guy KG's size to literally knock him out. Unconscious. Eyes rolled back in his head, drooling on the floor, out cold. In fact, I would love for someone of any size to do this to him. Even a fan.

Doug
01-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Actually, if someone put their foot under me when I'm in the air, I'd handle it the same way Reggie Miller did. Rake the leg with the bottom of his shoe.

Stepping out with the foot and raising the near had high in the air seemed to be the favorite move of defenders against Reggie. I can recall one game when I was sitting behind the Knicks bench, watching Starks come out of the game to get a bandage applied to his leg because his skin was missing. Shoe tread makes for a mean abrasion. A couple of minutes later, as Reggie was running the baseline to lose Starks, Starks was paid off a second time, as he was flattened on an offensive foul by Dale Davis.

You simply handle it in such a way that the player will think twice before doing it again, at least in the same game anyway.

Yes, that would work too, and not get you suspended. Plus, having a Dale Davis around makes people think twice about crap like that.

Basketball Fan
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Gentry rips Garnett
Talking on his weekly KTAR-AM show, Suns coach Alvin Gentry said he lost respect for Boston star Kevin Garnett because of his actions in the Suns win over the Celtics last week.

"I used to be a big fan of his," Gentry said. "I think some of the antics he's pulled lately, you don't need to do that as a star player. I've never seen Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant or even a Dwyane Wade do that. You can compete and play hard. That doesn't need to be part of it. It really doesn't. To do that to someone, you can seriously hurt him.

"You know the fact that, all of a sudden, Channing (Frye) comes down twice on jump shots, that's a very dangerous play. So if you're asking me, yeah, I lost a little respect for him. I love his competitive nature but there is not place for what he was doing in our game."

Garnett was ejected in the game after hitting Frye in the groin on a jump shot. Earlier in the game, Garnett slid his foot under Frye's foot as he landed on a jump shot. The Suns play the Celtics in Boston on March 1.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2011/02/03/20110203phoenix-suns-steve-nash-all-star-snub.html#ixzz1D0pi13Oy

LA_Confidential
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Garnett is my least favorite professional athlete of all time. Gutless cheapshot artist first, talented player second (also worth noting that he will never win a championship as "The Man" -- tell me how Paul Pierce's coattails taste).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASClJTnJ4I

Any help on how to embed this video would be great.

And also, I hate anyone that can look at this picture without wanting to punch something:

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.com/img/ben-gordon-kevin-garnett.JPG

If you think the C's even reach the finals without Kevin you are sadly mistaken. Look what happened the following year when KG got hurt.

KG can be a little dirty at times but you wont find many around the league that dont respect his game. IMO we need a guy with the fire and energy he plays with. Ball taps excluded.

PS, Check out Big Scal!

ballism
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
If you think the C's even reach the finals without Kevin you are sadly mistaken. Look what happened the following year when KG got hurt.

KG can be a little dirty at times but you wont find many around the league that dont respect his game. IMO we need a guy with the fire and energy he plays with. Ball taps excluded.

PS, Check out Big Scal!

Indeed, more ball taps!
Umm that just doesn't sound right... :)

TheDon
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
while the issue of dale davis and garnett have been brought up in the same thread. I can't find the quote anywhere to substantiate this, but it seems like I remember reading somewhere might have even been here that they asked Garnett about Dale and he said something along the lines of "Everybody knows not to mess with Dale."

I sure do miss having a player like Dale Davis, he was one tough SOB.

LA_Confidential
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
while the issue of dale davis and garnett have been brought up in the same thread. I can't find the quote anywhere to substantiate this, but it seems like I remember reading somewhere might have even been here that they asked Garnett about Dale and he said something along the lines of "Everybody knows not to mess with Dale."

I sure do miss having a player like Dale Davis, he was one tough SOB.

Surely we all do.

spreedom
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Of course I don't think they'd have made the Finals without him. As I said, I think he's a talented player. But I also don't think he can be the best player on a championship team. Few in the league are.

Yeah, we need a roster full of fake tough guys that are going to go out of their way to bully the smallest players on the floor.

Freddie fan
02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
EDIT: As for hitting him in the nuts, that just wrong. If Frye isn't trying to protect that though, its his own fault. Come game time, especially when a 7 footer is around a bunch of guys smaller than him, a stray elbow could cripple a man, so if he's not prepared for that then I can't feel bad for him.

Frye was in the process of shooting a jumpshot. How do you protect the family jewels on that play? Shoot with right hand and cover up with the left?

pacer4ever
02-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Frye was in the process of shooting a jumpshot. How do you protect the family jewels on that play? Shoot with right hand and cover up with the left?

where a cup agaist guys like KG and Posey i guess lol

MyFavMartin
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
KG making contact with ref last night:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310204002

MyFavMartin
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't want to suspend KG for the ECF matchup of the C's and MAgic on Superbowl Sunday?