PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 15 - Miami Heat

Ultimate Frisbee
09-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Can the Heat really contend in the East without a bench to speak of, or even a full starting lineup?

Is Shaq enough?

Can Stan Van's coaching to allow them to challenge the Pacers and Pistons?

Starters:

PG - Dwayne Wade
SG - Eddie Jones
SF - Rasual Butler
PF - Udonis Haslem
C - Shaquille O'Neal

Bench:

Mailk Allen - F
Jerome Beasly - F
Michael Doleac - C
Keyon Dooling - G
Matt Freije - F
Damon Jones - G
Wesley Person G-F
Wang ZhiZhi - C
Dorell Wright - G-F

Coach: Stan Van Gundy

Destined4Greatness
09-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Third best team in the East, and yet still a pretender. Sad isn't it.

I miss the days of the strong East.

Hicks
09-10-2004, 03:58 PM
They're a contender for the East, but not the title.

sweabs
09-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Looking at that bench makes me :barf:

unstandable
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM

Do you mean a contender to represent the East in the Finals? Because if they can beat Indy or Detroit in the playoffs, I think they have a good chance beat whoever represents the West.

If you meant they are just a contender for best regular season record in the East, but they won't have much of a chance in the playoffs, I think I disagree with that.

I think they'll be a better playoff team than regular season team for multiple reasons. 1. It will take some time at the start of the year for Wade to adjust to playing with Shaq. 2. Shaq will probably miss some regular season games. 3. They have no depth, which takes its toll during the season, but is less important in the playoffs.

canyoufeelit
09-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Hmm... Damon Jones is sorely underrated, Person can still shoot, Doleac is a pretty good backup and would be a good p'n'r partner for a good shooter like Jones or Person, Allen and Haslem can both crash the boards at least better than Sla-va Med-ve-den-ko, Eddie can still do his thing but not quite as well as he used to, and we all know Wade and Shaq...

Good enough to compete for a title once they get there.

Hicks
09-10-2004, 07:14 PM

Do you mean a contender to represent the East in the Finals? Because if they can beat Indy or Detroit in the playoffs, I think they have a good chance beat whoever represents the West.

If you meant they are just a contender for best regular season record in the East, but they won't have much of a chance in the playoffs, I think I disagree with that.

I think they'll be a better playoff team than regular season team for multiple reasons. 1. It will take some time at the start of the year for Wade to adjust to playing with Shaq. 2. Shaq will probably miss some regular season games. 3. They have no depth, which takes its toll during the season, but is less important in the playoffs.

I meant make the Finals, but you have a point about if they could beat either of us, they're good enough to win the title.

Maybe they're not even that good. :shrug:

Ultimate Frisbee
09-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I have faith in Stan Van Gundy to take this team at least as far as last year...

If Shaq is healthy all season, they have to be considered a serious contender.

Lord Helmet
09-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Contender but they will not beat the Pacers or Pistons.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Ron Rothstein going to Miami doesn't help us at all...

DisplacedKnick
09-12-2004, 09:24 AM
If Pat Riley can make a deal to get an impact player on the bench I'll move them to contender status. As things stand now, they aren't.

If I'm Stan Van Gundy I have to at least think about using Eddie Jones off the bench so at least someone there can score - of course that makes Wade much easier to defend.

Dorell Wright may develop enough - right now the bodies aren't there.

beast23
09-16-2004, 06:27 PM
A lack of depth is this team's greatest weakness, especially in the frontcourt where their starting forwards are not particularly strong.

I think most teams will attack the interior against the Heat forwards. Maybe force Shaq to expend energy in helping out.

Since Miami really cannot afford for its interior starters to sit, I think they'd play pretty soft on the interior if they pick up a few fouls early.

Unless they pick up better quality off the bench for the frontcourt, I don't think they can get past either the Pistons or the Pacers.