PDA

View Full Version : What player do you consider Roy Hibbert's measuring stick?

SMosley21
01-28-2011, 12:57 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/073f2RfcN9bSI/340x.jpg

There aren't a ton of young traditional C's in the NBA these days. With that in mind, I always find myself comparing Roy to Brook Lopez. They've had some really good matchups so far in their careers and hopefully they're both in the East for a long time so we can continue to watch them play each other. To me, Lopez is the best measuring stick we have for Roy as a player. Their games are similar enough that you can basically put them side by side and compare stats and head to head matchups perfectly, with Roy even being a better defensive player and rebounder. You can't quite do that with a guy like Dwight Howard because he's always going to get the better of Roy in the areas of pure athleticism, strength and speed.

Brook is having a markedly better season than Roy this season, but I still feel that overall the 2 players are pretty comparable.

2010-11 season...

Hibbert -
27.1 minutes
12.2 points
7.9 rebounds
2.2 assists
1.7 blocks
43% FG
70% FT

Lopez -
34.1 minutes
19.2 points
5.8 rebounds
1.4 assists
1.5 blocks
47% FG
80% FT

Over the course of their young careers, they have matched up pretty evenly for the most part, although in some of the early games Hibbert wasn't getting a lot of PT. His rookie year, he played the Nets 3 times and only got 16 minutes per game, only averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds.

Hibbert vs. NJ (7 career games)
24 minutes
10.7 points
5.3 rebounds
2 assists
2.4 blocks
56% FG
50% FT

Lopez vs. IND (7 career games)
31.3 minutes
15.6 points
8 rebounds
1.1 assists
1.8 blocks
41% FG
81% FT

So Roy, if you're reading this, please use Brook Lopez as your measuring stick. When it all gets written in the history books, and you've enjoyed a long and healthy career as an Indiana Pacer, as long as your career at least matches that of Brook Lopez (like I think it can), then I would say you've done your part in helping this team achieve greatness.