PDA

View Full Version : Not Vogel, but what about DeFruscio

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
I have no idea why many of you think Vogel is the best candidate for interim coach. he has no head coaching experience anywhere.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/frank_vogel/index.html?nav=page
Frank Vogel - Another familiar face on Coach Jim O’Brien’s staff is 37-year-old (6/21/73) Frank Vogel, who will be entering his 14th NBA season and eighth as an assistant coach.
He rejoined O’Brien in 2007 after spending the previous two seasons as an advance scout for the Los Angeles Lakers (2005-06) and Washington Wizards (2006-07). He was with O’Brien as an assistant coach in Philadelphia and Boston. It was with the Celtics that Vogel got his start in the NBA as the head video coordinator under Rick Pitino. He served in that role from 1997-2001 before becoming an assistant coach.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

I would rather have Dan Burke - he at least isn't an O'Brien guy and has been here for years (not sure why) but then he has never been a head coach of anything.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dan_burke/index.html?nav=page
College - Portland State

Dan Burke begins his 16th year in professional basketball and his eighth season with the Pacers. This season marks the second on the bench and an increase in duties for Burke as an assistant coach. The previous six seasons, Burke had served as assistant coach and scouting director.

Prior to joining the Pacers, Burke spent eight years with the Portland Trail Blazers (1989-1997) as video coordinator and scout. The 45-year-old (4/3/59) has a strong reputation in the area of opponent preparation. In his 16 years, he has been fortunate to learn from a variety of successful coaches. He spent three seasons working on Larry Bird’s staff and has worked five seasons under Rick Adelman and three seasons under both Isiah Thomas and P.J. Carlesimo.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Actually I would pick this guy - He has at least been a head coach for 18 years (granted division two college) . He is in his 4th season as an NBA assistant. But IMO the fact he has been a head coach before makes him a much more viable condidate that Burke or Vogel. So if an interim is needed, I would ask him to take the reigns

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/jay_defruscio/index.html?nav=page

Jay DeFruscio

After a successful 18-year head coaching career at Wheeling (West Virginia) Jesuit University, DeFruscio will be in his first season in the NBA.
While at Wheeling Jesuit, DeFruscio compiled a 311-212 record with four straight 20-win seasons and two NCAA Division II tournament appearances. He was named West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year twice and NAIA District 28 Coach of the Year once. He also served as the school’s athletic director for 20 years.

The 46-year-old (11/4/60) DeFruscio is a native of Drexel Hill, Pa., and earned a degree in Economics from Ursinus College. He was a four-year letter winner at Ursinus while playing in the Division III Final Four in 1981 and Elite Eight in 1982. He is a member of the Ursinus College Athletic Hall of Fame.

He also has an MBA from Wheeling Jesuit and served as an adjunct professor in the business program. While at Wheeling, he wrote a regular column for the local newspaper on the value of athletics and sportsmanship.

luis3ep
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2laeiqt.jpg

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Anybody, give me the water boy I don't care.

Aw Heck
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Doesn't matter. O'Brien is surviving this season no matter what.

Even in the off-chance he gets fired and replaced by an assistant, it's not like that assistant is going to make a huge difference. And that assistant won't be back next season (if there is one) anyway.

So, Vogel? DeFruscio? Toss a coin and you'll probably achieve about the same results.

Tom White
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I'd pick none of the above. I'd give Mike Woodson a call.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd pick none of the above. I'd give Mike Woodson a call.

Is that who you want for the next 3 or 4 years?

Heisenberg
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I've also had a hard time figuring out why most assume it'd be Vogel over Burke, however moot the question may be. Vogel's very much a JOB guy, would he even want to take the gig when he'd have a very slim chance of staying next year?

I'd want Burke as interim because one, I think he'd take the job and go onto another position in the franchise next year with no animosity, and two, he always seems to be at odds with JOB. It's sort of a reading between the lines thing I sense when he does interviews, I know that's vague as hell but I get that feeling pretty often when I hear him talk.

wintermute
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd assume that if we were promoting from within, it would be the lead assistant. Is that Burke or Vogel? Anyone know?

beast23
01-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Okay, what the hell?

I'll do it; I'll take one for the team.... I'll be the interim coach.

I've been between I.T. contracts for nearly a year now and consider myself "semi-retired", or should we call it "quasi-retired", anyway.

I've got broad shoulders and could take all the pounding from you guys. But, there is one thing for certain. Even I, with only AAU experience as an assistant being my highest level gig, probably would do no worse from anyone's perspective.

So, the water boy or even one of the Pacemates, or even Stacy Paetz for that matter, would be just fine by me.

imawhat
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Without context, two Division II tourney appearances in 18 seasons is not attractive. Record looks good. I'd take him to finish out the season.

Tom White
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Is that who you want for the next 3 or 4 years?

I think he did a very good job in Atlanta, and the Hawks management just has a short memory. He had a crew of players that were more interested in the highlight play than fundamentals, and that hurt him.

I would certainly take him way above any of the current assistants.

It seems to me that the Pacers are STILL a team who is going to find it hard to attract a "big name" sort of coach. With Mike's obvious connection to the city, and the fact that he is currently not employed in the NBA, I think it would be much easier to persuade him to come on board.

travmil
01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
DeFruscio is an O'Brien guy. O'Brien was the head coach at Wheeling and hired him as an assistant. When JOB moved on, DeFruscio got the job. I'm not saying the guy isn't qualified. In fact his resume is actually pretty impressive since he basically had 4 jobs that would be considered full time at a larger university. But that's how he ended up with the Pacers was through that connection. If O'Brien was fired, he would probably leave as well.

Sandman21
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, what the hell?

I'll do it; I'll take one for the team.... I'll be the interim coach.

I've been between I.T. contracts for nearly a year now and consider myself "semi-retired", or should we call it "quasi-retired", anyway.

I've got broad shoulders and could take all the pounding from you guys. But, there is one thing for certain. Even I, with only AAU experience as an assistant being my highest level gig, probably would do no worse from anyone's perspective.

So, the water boy or even one of the Pacemates, or even Stacy Paetz for that matter, would be just fine by me.
We've had so many volunteers to take the interim reins that PD could provide an entire interim coaching staff....:p

Trophy
01-28-2011, 10:53 PM
What about Vitaly Potapenko? :laugh:

I have no idea why Jim brought him in. Very random when we could've possibly called up Dale Davis.

I guess he thought his name was cool.

Young
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't understand what is wrong with Dan Burke.

So what if he has never been a head coach? You have to start at some point and besides it's not like you are making him anything more than the interim head coach.

Granted I don't know a lot about Burke or any of the staff outside of Jim O'Brien for that matter. From what I can tell it appears that Burke would be the best choice for interim head coach.

Now I don't think the Pacers fire O'Brien during the season. However if they end up feeling like they need to get rid of Jim this season to salvage the season and a possible playoff birth then I think Burke would be the best choice.