PDA

View Full Version : JMV Predicts: Jim finishes season, Bird retires, Mike Brown next coach!

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 09:54 AM
From Mike Wells Twitter Page

JMV1070 My prediction: JOB coaches season (he should'nt) Bird won't coach Simon stays out of it Mike Brown next coach LB quits after year about 9 hours ago via web Retweeted by MikeWellsNBA and 2 others

Wells, like him or not, is more connected than any of us

I could really see it play out like this

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
That is JMV's prediction

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Seems very logical and almost a bit obvious.

BPump33
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
As was said earlier that is JMV's prediction, but Wells is about to be on 1070 the fan with Joe and MG.

pacergod2
01-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I think it will be O'Brien is out after the season, but I think Bird will sign a two year deal to get the team "over the hump" before he retires. Like he said, he has a great gig. he gets paid a lot to stick around the game. His wife seems to really enjoy the games as well. I think Simon will ask Bird to stick around for two more years to ensure the direction of the team before he hands it off. I think Bird and Simon have a great relationship and that will be more of the basis for him to return on a fairly short-term basis. I would want to ensure we kept Morway as well.

Speed
01-28-2011, 10:04 AM
As was said earlier that is JMV's prediction, but Wells is about to be on 1070 the fan with Joe and MG.

Anyone listening, can you give updates/summary?

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Anyone listening, can you give updates/summary?

He didn't say anything that we don't know, that they are trying to trade Ford and that Jeff could be a nice trade piece for a playoff team.

BPump33
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, I was listening until my boss came over and wanted to talk. What I heard was:

We have a quite a few "must win" games coming up.

Troy doesn't play in NJ b/c Avery loves defense. Also, said a lot of Troy's rebounds weren't "true." However, a double double is a double double. Upset he won't get to see Troy tonight.

and then I was interrupted. Sorry.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
That is JMV's prediction

LMAO

Funkin Twitter

Im not a member so I always funk that up!!

Thx VnZl

aaronb
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM

I hope that's how it plays out.

Next Front Office guy will probably want to hire his own coach though?

BillS
01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Next Front Office guy will probably want to hire his own coach though?

That would be the biggest reason JOB stays on for the rest of the season.

RWB
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I like the idea Mike Brown will get a shot with the Ps. Players coach that stresses defense and he should be able to find an assistant to do the offensive Xs and Os.

Hicks
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised the thread title hasn't been changed. I'll do it.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
That would be the biggest reason JOB stays on for the rest of the season.

I think they are going to also try to let the expiring contracts expire and leave that for the new guy, reason why I don't see much happening in the trade deadline.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
If they keep Jim till the end of they year, I will survive that.

What I absolutely DON'T want is the same ending scenario as the last couple years.

You know the one we love so much , the one where the team is clearly out of the playoff picture, yet Jim plays the Vets big minutes and we end up on a wining streak that has us finish 9th in the conference.

Doddage
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Some of my predictions: Morway gets promoted to Bird's position, Pritchard steps in as GM.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Some of my predictions: Morway gets promoted to Bird's position, Pritchard steps in as GM.

Nice!

I could definitely see it play out like that

Simon reportedly likes Morway, Bird is probably stepping down, and Pritchard steps in

graphic-er
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Personally I think Bird is screwing the situation here. His non-committal to coming back to next season essentially stalls anything we can do.
Should Bird be making a trade with the expiring contracts if he isn't going to be here next year? Should Bird fire JOB and hire a new coach if he isn't going to be here next year?

BillS
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Don't particularly know if I like this. I have no knowledge or proof but in my gut I feel like a lot of the recent personnel foofoorahs over people not following company line or not getting along with management were Morway.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't know what I want to happen with Bird and Morway. I wanted to wait to judge them both until after the summer of 2011 because I think everything they did was to make sure they had those expirings contracts and now to think they may not see it through it is like they never were able to get to complete their job.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Don't particularly know if I like this. I have no knowledge or proof but in my gut I feel like a lot of the recent personnel foofoorahs over people not following company line or not getting along with management were Morway.

Good point,

I would love to see Simony have a heart to heart with Mel Daniels

Either Bird or Morway was not liked much, or both

BRushWithDeath
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I can say with a decent amount of certainty that Pritchard will have a role with the organization next year.

What that means for Bird or Morway I do not know.

But knowing quite a but about KP, my guess is that his ego wouldn't do well working for or with Bird/Morway.

CableKC
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
IMHO, if there is a time for regime change ( as in when Bird leaves and is replaced ), I think it should be right after the season ends. Assuming that there will be no major change in the roster ( as in we make a major trade that will adversely affect the 2011-2012 Salary cap ), then I'd prefer to bring in a totally new FO and allow him to rebuild the Team with his own vision with the most resources and assets that he can have......specifically with a huge warchest of Salarycap space and a young core in place for the future and the Coach to implement his vision. To me, Bird either stays for the next 2 or 3 more seasons and rebuild the Team the way that he wants with a Coach that he wants or he should simply leave and let someone else do the same. Bird shouldn't IMHO stay for 1 more season, implement changes that he wants ( ie, sign a whole bunch of Players that fit what he wants to do and hire a new Coach with a long term contract ) then leave a year later and hand it over to a new FO. It's like having a Chef sprepare the Main dish for a huge dinner party, then tells another chef to come in 1/3 of the way through and having the New Chef finish off the rest of the menu.

Bird should either stay for the long-term to complete his vision ( which can't be properly implemented in less then 2-3 seasons ) or he leaves now and allows whoever that replaces him to fully realize whatever vision/goals that the new FO wants to implement with a totally clean slate with the most resources as his disposal. To me, it's one or the other.

Personally, I ( and IMHO, the Players ) am ready for major change ( especially if it's Pritchard ) in Team culture. This would send a major signal from the Owners to the fanbase and the NBA itself that they are ready to "wipe the slate clean" and start all over. However, i have little problem if Bird does stay.....as long as it is for the long term so that we can see what he can do with vast resources at his disposal and ( hopefully ) a new Coach.

Speed
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
I can say with a decent amount of certainty that Pritchard will have a role with the organization next year.

What that means for Bird or Morway I do not know.

But knowing quite a but about KP, my guess is that his ego wouldn't do well working for or with Bird/Morway.

Strange, the whole Pritchard thing. Is Bird opening up the door to his replacement, maybe Morways.

Didn't Pritchard have the reputation that other GMs got tired of him constantly calling them. I mean I like it, if he's a bulldog, but is he a pain that other teams don't like to deal with? I could be wrong on this and thinking of someone else.

I guess draft time would be pretty fun!

Marlin
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Is this just a personal feeling or is it source based?

Speed
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I will say, it sucks to be Bird if he was in charge of tearing it down and waiting out all of the losing, to let the next guy reap the benefits.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
How much is Bird being paid? I am sure Pritchard is a lot cheaper

RWB
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I heard 6 million.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I heard 6 million.

So if Bird quits now we can afford to bring in a big-name new head coach right now. So that is why the delay - it isn't O'Brien's 2.5 M salary it is Bird's 6M

spazzxb
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't questions Wells inside information. I just don't like the way he tries to stir up trouble. He seems to take quotes and manipulates them to manufacture a story occasionally. Sometimes when he says there is smoke there is just a camp fire and some kids roasting marshmallows, if that makes sense.

spazzxb
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I will say, it sucks to be Bird if he was in charge of tearing it down and waiting out all of the losing, to let the next guy reap the benefits.

I agree, except it seems he would be retiring not getting fired. He would be choosing to leave fully aware of the timing. Nothing to feel bad about if its what he wants.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10197814

Yes, Jim O'Brien will not be the coach of the Pacers next year. Should the Pacers cut him loose now, or play out the year with him?

Lets face it. It will not get better, and even though there's not noticeably somebody on the bench to take over, do it anyway. Be done with it and close out the year with Dan Burke or Frank Vogel. Just get it done already. Show the fans you are proactive with the situation. This is a crucial time in the schedule.

Former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard was on the Pacers western road trip and if you speculate, which I will...could he either consulting with Bird and Morway, or might there be some interest there? By the way, Pritchard lived in Noblesville--I believe until his early teens.

My Prediction: If JOB beats the bottom feeders in the East he stays the entire year. If they lose to the Cavs, Nets, or teams like that and we have more paper bags on the head of fans then the Pacers will be forced to exit JOB. There is no way Bird will coach, and Simon will stay hands-off as usual. Bird will hang it up at the end of the year and the next Pacer head coach will be--Mike Brown.

Brown is the anti-JOB. He may not x-and-o as well as many, but he relates to the players. He did that here as Associate Head Coach. I think he will be the next head coach. I love Mike Woodson, by the way. I would like to see him here.

aaronb
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
IMHO, if there is a time for regime change ( as in when Bird leaves and is replaced ), I think it should be right after the season ends. Assuming that there will be no major change in the roster ( as in we make a major trade that will adversely affect the 2011-2012 Salary cap ), then I'd prefer to bring in a totally new FO and allow him to rebuild the Team with his own vision with the most resources and assets that he can have......specifically with a huge warchest of Salarycap space and a young core in place for the future and the Coach to implement his vision. To me, Bird either stays for the next 2 or 3 more seasons and rebuild the Team the way that he wants with a Coach that he wants or he should simply leave and let someone else do the same. Bird shouldn't IMHO stay for 1 more season, implement changes that he wants ( ie, sign a whole bunch of Players that fit what he wants to do and hire a new Coach with a long term contract ) then leave a year later and hand it over to a new FO. It's like having a Chef sprepare the Main dish for a huge dinner party, then tells another chef to come in 1/3 of the way through and having the New Chef finish off the rest of the menu.

Bird should either stay for the long-term to complete his vision ( which can't be properly implemented in less then 2-3 seasons ) or he leaves now and allows whoever that replaces him to fully realize whatever vision/goals that the new FO wants to implement with a totally clean slate with the most resources as his disposal. To me, it's one or the other.

Personally, I ( and IMHO, the Players ) am ready for major change ( especially if it's Pritchard ) in Team culture. This would send a major signal from the Owners to the fanbase and the NBA itself that they are ready to "wipe the slate clean" and start all over. However, i have little problem if Bird does stay.....as long as it is for the long term so that we can see what he can do with vast resources at his disposal and ( hopefully ) a new Coach.

And to expound on this excellent post of yours.....

I think the quality of candidate will be better this summer as well. Lots of guys would find our situation attractive with the Cap room and all our own draft picks going forward.

Less so if we burn up space with a short term front office this summer.

PacersHomer
01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before. Try a young coach or a college coach (can't think of any good candidates that would take the job though)

BillS
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before. Try a young coach or a college coach (can't think of any good candidates that would take the job though)

Why would you do that with a young team, especially one with players who have been badly coached for the years they <i>have</i> been in the league? I think you have to pair a brand new coach with some guys who have some veteran floor leadership, so the new coach has some things he can depend on. That can backfire if either the coach or the vets have egos that won't let them let the other help out, but in general it is the best situation to allow your new coach to be successful.

CableKC
01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
And to expound on this excellent post of yours.....

I think the quality of candidate will be better this summer as well. Lots of guys would find our situation attractive with the Cap room and all our own draft picks going forward.

Less so if we burn up space with a short term front office this summer.
Don't get me wrong....if Bird has a plan and is willing to stay for however long it takes to implement it properly ( not after a season then goes and leaves whatever crumbs are left on the table for the next FO to pick up the pieces ), then I am okay with Bird staying on.

Given what Bird has done, as a long-time fan....I want to see Bird finish all that he has built upon during his tenure. But this situation that we will be in next season is the perfect situation for a new FO to fully implement a vision with the most available resources afforded a new FO that will truly take us in a new direction....the opportunity for a new FO to hire WHATEVER Coach they want....copious amounts of Salary Cap space to work with ( even if we make 1 major move now )...and a young core that has some chemistry and experience to mold.

IMHO...it's the perfect storm for a new FO to take over. If there is a time for us to truly point this Team in a totally new direction.....it's next offseason.

CableKC
01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I want whatever Coach that will properly implement the vision that the FO that will be in place at the start of the next season...whether it is Bird and Company or some new FO.

Taterhead
01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Mike Brown makes the most sense for us.

The Cavs are horrific this year and not all of that is because they lost Lebron and Shaq. Brown is a good coach, there is no doubt about that. His resume doesn't lie.

The only guy I wouldn't mind seeing over Brown is Rick Adelman. I think we have a lot of young players who could excel in his system, especially Roy Hibbert. It also might make us more likely to pursue Carl Landry in the off season, which I would like very much.

Either one of those guys and Kevin Pritchard and I would be happy. Just keep Chris Mullin away please.

Bball
01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe there's a bigger movement in play that keeps Bird, Pritchard and Morway in place....
What if Bird puts together an ownership group and buys the Pacers?

If Brown is to be the next HC it seems a little (strike that) a LOT crazy he just isn't given the job now. O'Brien needs fired yesterday, last month, last season, or never hired in the first place. And if the next head coach is already available then having the 2nd half of the season to reintegrate with the organization and evaluate talent heading not only into the off season but also the trade deadline seems too obvious to overlook.

BRushWithDeath
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
The Cavs are horrific this year and not all of that is because they lost Lebron.
I love Mike Brown but, yes it is.

pacer4ever
01-29-2011, 08:01 PM

That team was bulit for 1 superstar just a bunch of shooters and role players no surprise they suck

beast23
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe there's a bigger movement in play that keeps Bird, Pritchard and Morway in place....
What if Bird puts together an ownership group and buys the Pacers?

If Brown is to be the next HC it seems a little (strike that) a LOT crazy he just isn't given the job now. O'Brien needs fired yesterday, last month, last season, or never hired in the first place. And if the next head coach is already available then having the 2nd half of the season to reintegrate with the organization and evaluate talent heading not only into the off season but also the trade deadline seems too obvious to overlook.

Same thing I've been saying. Assuming a new coach is coming in, and he is currently available, such as Brown, to do anything other than this is not only an oversight, it's just plain stupid.

And if Brown is not the first choice, if the first choice is currently coaching elsewhere, I think the need for the new coach to integrate with his players and be in a position to have input to the draft and trades this summer is important enough to elevate Brown to be the first choice.

On your other point, I'm not certain that Simon would deal with an "ownership group" in a possible sale. I believe the only way he would consider it would be if the majority owner were someone who had a vested interest in the team remaining in Indy. And, I am very close to someone who, if not being involved himself, would at least be aware of any local people who would be working toward being involved in such a transaction.

So, if Bird is working on something, I don't have any reason to believe the participants would be local. And, since Bird doesn't have the means to be a majority owner, I don't see a deal like this happening.

Taterhead
01-29-2011, 11:00 PM

So 1 guy takes you from first to last? If that's the case then basketball isn't a team sport.

pacer4ever
01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
So 1 guy takes you from first to last? If that's the case then basketball isn't a team sport.

The way Danny Ferry bulit that cavs team yes. He just had a bunch of shooters out there with LeBron who are just role players.

They Lost Shaq also and Big Z and there best player is injuried

Bridge
01-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Bird will stick around to finish his three year plan.

Oh wait....

BRushWithDeath
01-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Is this just a personal feeling or is it source based?

Source based. Of course, nothing is set in stone but people in the know seem to think it is nearly a done deal.

But (and this is my speculation) KP being KP, if a better offer were to come along I am sure he would take it.

BRushWithDeath
01-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Lebron was the reason that team had the best record in the conference. Losing him is the reason they have the worst. If that means that basketball isn't a team sport, then so be it. He is that special.

Bball
01-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Lebron was the reason that team had the best record in the conference. Losing him is the reason they have the worst. If that means that basketball isn't a team sport, then so be it. He is that special.

That doesn't mean basketball isn't a team sport. It just means the team was constructed to revolve around Lebron and complement him as much as possible.

BRushWithDeath
01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
That doesn't mean basketball isn't a team sport. It just means the team was constructed to revolve around Lebron and complement him as much as possible.

I certainly agree.