PDA

View Full Version : In today's article Danny takes a backhanded swipe at JOB

Peck
01-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Or at least in my mind that is what I want to believe.;)

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110128/SPORTS04/101280335/1062/SPORTS04/First-offense-vanishes-now-s-defense

Written by
Mike Wells

If there was one thing the Indiana Pacers could rely on early in the season, it was their scrappy defense.

They took charges, communicated on the court and denied passing lanes. In the process, they became one of the league's leaders in field goal percentage defense.

Times have changed, though. During their current six-game losing streak, the Pacers have reverted to what they did defensively in previous seasons.

"We come in with a game plan, but we seem to do everything except execute it these days," veteran Jeff Foster said. "If guys aren't focused in on what we have to do, then the defense will suffer."

Opponents have shot at least 50 percent from the field against the Pacers in four of the past five games. It took the first 24 games for four foes to shoot at least 50 percent from the field. The Pacers have dropped to seventh in the league in field goal defense (44.2 percent).

Things began to change on defense when players started worrying about the underachieving offense. In previous seasons, offense had been a strength.

With New Jersey in town tonight, the Pacers find themselves struggling on both ends.

"It's like we're overly concerned with our offense because it's been a struggling point for us, that we're slipping on defense," swingman Mike Dunleavy said. "We need to get back to defending the way we're capable of.

"We just need to worry about the offense secondarily, because I think we've tried so hard to solve that, we've neglected the defense and now we're not doing either one well."

Center Roy Hibbert has not been a factor defensively. He is averaging 1.1 blocked shots a game this month after averaging 2.1 during the first two months of the season.

"Roy hasn't been playing a lot lately," forward Danny Granger said. "Roy used to give us a back line of defense when teams would drive on us. We've also had so many different lineup changes, too. That plays a part in messing up our schemes."
Jim O'Brien, an offensive-minded coach, has replaced Josh McRoberts in the starting lineup with Tyler Hansbrough. McRoberts is more of a blue-collar worker, while Hansbrough is the team's best scoring threat in the frontcourt.

O'Brien also recently took T.J. Ford -- the Pacers' best defensive point guard, according to O'Brien -- out of the rotation. A.J. Price has moved into his spot.

"Anytime you go from a guy that has been in the league for a little bit to a (second-year player), rotations and the understanding of the defense is not there," O'Brien said. "The only way they're going to learn is by getting a lot of game experience."

Etc.
Swingman Brandon Rush will be out about two weeks with a sprained right ankle. Rush, who is wearing a walking boot, injured his ankle in the third quarter against Orlando on Wednesday. Price will get some of Rush's minutes at shooting guard. . . . Ford will be at Dick's Sporting Goods at Castleton Mall to take part in a coat drive from 4:30-6 p.m. Sunday. Fans donating gently used or new coats will receive two tickets to either the Feb. 9 game against Charlotte or the Feb. 11 game against Minnesota.

Also I think Mike is pointing out that Josh being out of the lineup may be hurting the defense as well.

Again that is not a bash at Tyler at all, he has done fine in his position. It is however a slap at JOB for once again deciding that Josh should go from starter to inactive and come hell or high water James Posey will be active and most likely play or we must by law have 4 wing players in the game.

It's so dang simple to me that I just don't get it other than Jim's absolute love of the stretch four (which doesn't work) and his fascination with wing players.

Roy & Tyler start, first one goes to the bench (doesn't matter who) in come Josh, then Jeff can replace the other and then they replace each other. But nooooooooooooooooooo.....

Oh well why waste my time thinking or complaining about this.

judicata
01-28-2011, 03:08 AM
This is one of those statements that people can really read a lot into, and most of it is bad. Irrespective of whether it is a shot at Jim, it also puts the spotlight on the guys who have worked their way on to the court. I don't care for that, but I don't think that is what he's going for.

At any rate, none of it explains his unimpressive individual defensive efforts lately.

Cancel_2002
01-28-2011, 03:50 AM
"Anytime you go from a guy that has been in the league for a little bit to a (second-year player), rotations and the understanding of the defense is not there," O'Brien said. "The only way they're going to learn is by getting a lot of game experience."

I'm not sure about Granger's quote. This is the line that surprised me.

spazzxb
01-28-2011, 03:53 AM

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110128/SPORTS04/101280335/1062/SPORTS04/First-offense-vanishes-now-s-defense

Written by
Mike Wells

If there was one thing the Indiana Pacers could rely on early in the season, it was their scrappy defense.

They took charges, communicated on the court and denied passing lanes. In the process, they became one of the league's leaders in field goal percentage defense.

Times have changed, though. During their current six-game losing streak, the Pacers have reverted to what they did defensively in previous seasons.

"We come in with a game plan, but we seem to do everything except execute it these days," veteran Jeff Foster said. "If guys aren't focused in on what we have to do, then the defense will suffer."

Opponents have shot at least 50 percent from the field against the Pacers in four of the past five games. It took the first 24 games for four foes to shoot at least 50 percent from the field. The Pacers have dropped to seventh in the league in field goal defense (44.2 percent).

Things began to change on defense when players started worrying about the underachieving offense. In previous seasons, offense had been a strength.

With New Jersey in town tonight, the Pacers find themselves struggling on both ends.

"It's like we're overly concerned with our offense because it's been a struggling point for us, that we're slipping on defense," swingman Mike Dunleavy said. "We need to get back to defending the way we're capable of.

"We just need to worry about the offense secondarily, because I think we've tried so hard to solve that, we've neglected the defense and now we're not doing either one well."

Center Roy Hibbert has not been a factor defensively. He is averaging 1.1 blocked shots a game this month after averaging 2.1 during the first two months of the season.

"Roy hasn't been playing a lot lately," forward Danny Granger said. "Roy used to give us a back line of defense when teams would drive on us. We've also had so many different lineup changes, too. That plays a part in messing up our schemes."
Jim O'Brien, an offensive-minded coach, has replaced Josh McRoberts in the starting lineup with Tyler Hansbrough. McRoberts is more of a blue-collar worker, while Hansbrough is the team's best scoring threat in the frontcourt.

O'Brien also recently took T.J. Ford -- the Pacers' best defensive point guard, according to O'Brien -- out of the rotation. A.J. Price has moved into his spot.

Etc.
Swingman Brandon Rush will be out about two weeks with a sprained right ankle. Rush, who is wearing a walking boot, injured his ankle in the third quarter against Orlando on Wednesday. Price will get some of Rush's minutes at shooting guard. . . . Ford will be at Dick's Sporting Goods at Castleton Mall to take part in a coat drive from 4:30-6 p.m. Sunday. Fans donating gently used or new coats will receive two tickets to either the Feb. 9 game against Charlotte or the Feb. 11 game against Minnesota.

Also I think Mike is pointing out that Josh being out of the lineup may be hurting the defense as well.

Again that is not a bash at Tyler at all, he has done fine in his position. It is however a slap at JOB for once again deciding that Josh should go from starter to inactive and come hell or high water James Posey will be active and most likely play or we must by law have 4 wing players in the game.

It's so dang simple to me that I just don't get it other than Jim's absolute love of the stretch four (which doesn't work) and his fascination with wing players.

Roy & Tyler start, first one goes to the bench (doesn't matter who) in come Josh, then Jeff can replace the other and then they replace each other. But nooooooooooooooooooo.....

While you may not agree with it, I am sure you at least understand where a person could decide playing Josh and Foster together isn't going to help our offense. We have seen very little of this combination, however its rather obvious that neither of them are much of a scoring option.

Also, aside from Josh, the recent lineup makeover Danny was complaining about has been mostly changes people have been asking for(play the young guys). Danny has also recently said that its frustrating playing with inexperienced players.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 06:42 AM
O'Brien said. "The only way they're going to learn is by getting a lot of game experience."

So you knew this s*** all this time and you keep playing old a$$ players? :rolleyes:

Shade
01-28-2011, 07:36 AM
I give Danny and the others a ton of credit for not letting their frustrations with the coaching boil over much publically. If I had had to endure 3 and a half years of his idiocy daily, I would have probably gone Latrell Spreewell on him by now.

BKK
01-28-2011, 07:50 AM
You know there's gotta be something that definitely goes wrong when Dun-Dun expresses his concerns with our defense :D

BKK
01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Tell me again : why Josh went from starter to inactive overnight?

McKeyFan
01-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Because we won a lot of games in November.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Peck, actually to your way of thinking he isn't taking a swipe at O'Brien but at the person who told O'Brien that he had to start playing George, Tyler and AJ.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

You didn't hear, Jim is being told what to do, so once we find out who is telling Jim what to do we can start blaming that person for benching Josh

sportfireman
01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
UncleBuck to the rescue........ Buck really all joking aside do u HAVE to defend this coach ALL the time?

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
UncleBuck to the rescue........ Buck really all joking aside do u HAVE to defend this coach ALL the time?

Did you not see my thread from yesterday asking if a realistic scernerio could be worked out to bring in a new coach? How is that defending the current coach. Name anyone else who has been more steadfast in saying that there is a zero % chance that JOB will be back next season - how is that defending the current coach.

I will continue to do what I have always done, defend the defendable and defend against statements I think are wrong. Like when someone suggests that poor coaching is the only reason why we lose so many close games.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
You didn't hear, Jim is being told what to do, so once we find out who is telling Jim what to do we can start blaming that person for benching Josh

So somebody is telling Jim to play Posey at power forward and making him guard players like Amare and Griffing?................ F it let's fire everybody then.

MyFavMartin
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
If I had had to endure 3 and a half years of his idiocy daily, I would have probably gone Latrell Spreewell on him by now.

2.5 months to go.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Written by
Mike Wells

Etc.

LOL

I read that article just no, and that was the first thing I saw. I was like whoa.

Dont hold back DG

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
So somebody is telling Jim to play Posey at power forward and making him guard players like Amare and Griffing?................ F it let's fire everybody then.

calm down, it is not my theory that he is being told - take it up with those who think he is being told.

My point obviously is you can't have it both ways. If Jim is being told who to play then you cannot criticize Jim for who he plays.

pacergod2
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Did you not see my thread from yesterday asking if a realistic scernerio could be worked out to bring in a new coach? How is that defending the current coach. Name anyone else who has been more steadfast in saying that there is a zero % chance that JOB will be back next season - how is that defending the current coach.

I will continue to do what I have always done, defend the defendable and defend against statements I think are wrong. Like when someone suggests that poor coaching is the only reason why we lose so many close games.

UB, I agree with you quite often. I think the problem is that people see your defense in the coach as being pro-O'Brien. I began to understand a while back that you have this mean reversion thing going on where you lean toward rationality and often times add a touch of devil's advocate, because of the "herd" mentality that this board has. I felt like I was watching PD live this morning on the television when I was actually watching the protests in Egypt. I appreciate your opinions. Keep it up.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 09:26 AM
calm down, it is not my theory that he is being told - take it up with those who think he is being told.

My point obviously is you can't have it both ways. If Jim is being told who to play then you cannot criticize Jim for who he plays.

I was been sarcastic(like always) I think he is been told to give more playing time to the young guys but he is still giving the majority of the minutes to his guys and they are also finishing games. I think he plays the young guys to calm whoever is telling him to do this down and then he does whatever he wants in the second half.

pacergod2
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Don't get into a sarcasm battle with vznla81. You won't win. I think it is the same thing. Bird is hands off for the most part, but he sits down with Jim and discusses some of the issues amongst the team. It is the same thing I do with my managers. Their discussions lead to suggestions or ideas, but I don't think Bird would give Jim an ultimatum over how to do his job. I am sure Jim sees what he sees and understands the team's downfalls. He just makes adjustments that many times the people on here won't agree with. We all want the young guys to play, but the turnovers, the volatile play, the defensive lapses, and inconsistency in rapport will all happen with those young guys. You also get unbelievably talented plays, extra athleticism, durability, and sparks of great play that have more potential than the older guys. We need more talent in the old guys and more consistency in the young guys. And that's a formula for failure. Bird's plan should have been about five years, but that is a tougher sell than three. We all want Jim to make decisions on the long-term, but he and the Pacers organization want wins now to make a playoff push and sell tickets. It is not nearly as easy as we want to think it is. I think the only way Bird is willing to control Jim's lineups would be to shape the roster different. And in doing so, it makes this team a new product. Bird still has to show patience in making deals. We are in a great position to to improve this team. To take the first deal right now would be a mistake just to change the coach's rotations.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Son of a frakin bytch!

"Price will see time at the shooting guard"

Get ready for a DC/AJ back court

and no Lance :(

pacergod2
01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Son of a frakin bytch!

"Price will see time at the shooting guard"

Get ready for a DC/AJ back court

and no Lance :(

And unfortunately, it sounds like it means that Dunleavy will get more minutes now with Brandon out. I think I would like to see AJ play more than Dunleavy, but I would ensure George at 30+ minutes every night. Period. Then fill in with AJ and Dun.

graphic-er
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm glad Danny spoke up on behalf of his teammates. Too many different line ups, not enough experience together = terrible defense. Now Jim is talking about playing AJ at the 2 spot more....how do you think that will help the defense? We gonna have a short fry backcourt. Why does JOB think this will work?

I struggle to even understand why he made a change at the end of November. I mean we lost a few games, but shouldn't you try to fix it before change the line up all willy nilly?

Hicks
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
O'Brien said. "The only way they're going to learn is by getting a lot of game experience."

So you knew this s*** all this time and you keep playing old a$$ players? :rolleyes:

I hope anyone who previously argued that a young guy sitting, watching, and practicing was as good as a young guy playing in games is reading this.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I hope anyone who previously argued that a young guy sitting, watching, and practicing was as good as a young guy playing in games is reading this.

You should make a thread with this comments so all those guys get to see this.

Since86
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
UB, you're ignoring the fact that Jim was tinkering with lineups WAY before AJ and PG started getting heavy minutes.

You're acting like Jim just started messing around with the rotations, instead of acknowledging that he's been doing it for 3+ years.

But other than that, you're right, it is all whoever is telling him to play the younger players fault for the instability......

NuffSaid
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
The following quotes stood out for me:

"Roy hasn't been playing a lot lately," forward Danny Granger said. "Roy used to give us a back line of defense when teams would drive on us.

So, interior defense has become a big problem. A noteworthy and fair critizism considering how Hibbert has played lately.

We've also had so many different lineup changes, too. That plays a part in messing up our schemes."

Another fair critizism. It's hard developing consistency or chemistry when your starting lineup is constantly in flux. Even Hansborough mentioned as much recently when he commented on the adjustment he's had to make in playing with guys he hadn't played with before. I suspect the same is true for Paul George. If understanding the offensive schemes is so problematic for the youngsters, JOB has two choices: 1) simplify the offense, or 2) let the players play more freely. Allow them to create shot opportunities for themselves.

Not sure what to make of this especially considering JOB's comments below concerning young players gaining experience through playing time. How else is Jmac to grasp what he's doing wrong and make the necessary adjustments if he's planted on the bench?

This begs the following questions: "Was TJ Ford merely being showcased all this time? Does AJ Price play better defense? Or has AJ been swapped for TJ just because AJ is a more efficient 3-pt shooter?

If TJ is the better defender yet you want to retain pressure defense and put a faster, more accurate 3-pt shooter on the floor, wouldn't it make more sense to pair the two especially considering Dunleavy and BRush have been strugging of late?

Three things we do know about AJ Price: 1) he's fast; 2) he understands how to run the offense; and 3) he's not afraid to take the shot.

I've always felt that JOB should go with a 3 PG rotation. I think there's enough minutes to go around to do that, but at the very least you sit Posey and use AJ at SG. He's smaller, but he's cocky enough not to be intimidated and smart enough to know what to do with the ball.

PaceBalls
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
How is our coach supposed to coach with confidence when our players publicly bash him in the media like this? No wonder Jim keeps using random rotations and calling bad plays out of timeouts. He is scared the players are just going to quit and not like him anymore. I bet Jim is thinking about seeing a sports psychologist to deal with all this mental abuse.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
How is our coach supposed to coach with confidence when our players publicly bash him in the media like this? No wonder Jim keeps using random rotations and calling bad plays out of timeouts. He is scared the players are just going to quit and not like him anymore. I bet Jim is thinking about seeing a sports psychologist to deal with all this mental abuse.

What a sissy......

spazzxb
01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Who said as good as? I have said you can learn without an audience. If a player doesn't know what he should be doing, they are not ready to be in the game. Once basic mistakes are minimized then in game experience is necessary to maximize ones potential. This doesn't mean a rookie needs to start day one, or that the only way to learn is being thrown to the wolves.

Eleazar
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Peck, actually to your way of thinking he isn't taking a swipe at O'Brien but at the person who told O'Brien that he had to start playing George, Tyler and AJ.

The line-up changes go back even further than when O'Brien decided to start playing George, Tyler, and AJ. It goes back to when O'Brien decided to stop playing George, Tyler, and McRoberts.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
The line-up changes go back even further than when O'Brien decided to start playing George, Tyler, and AJ. It goes back to when O'Brien decided to stop playing George, Tyler, and McRoberts.

George generally stopped playing once Rush was off his suspension before Thanksgiving

Tyler was played very sparingly to begin with

McRoberts started the first 30 games, so he was taken out until January.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
George generally stopped playing once Rush was off his suspension before Thanksgiving

You think because a guy starts he get's to play the most and that is not the case with Jim, he started Josh but he played Posey the most minutes and got him finishing the game even though he sucks.

NuffSaid
01-29-2011, 09:37 AM

True, but I would have continue playing them.

Here's my problem(s) with how JOB has managed the lineups and rotations:

He starts the season lauding how Jmac had prepared himself to get better over the summer, gets him to play on the Summer League team, talks up his performance there, too, starts the guy then benches him and for whom? James Posey??

It's not that I dislike Posey; I just don't think he's any better overall than Jmac other than the fact the Posey takes and makes more 3PAs than Josh. But that's also the problem!

We traded away Troy Murphy to: 1) get out from under his big contract, 2) have someone who can play both in the paint AND above the rim, and 3) to up the tempo with a Big who can run the floor, get out in transition and actually receive the ball at the rim or pass it cleanly.

You have all of that in Jmac, but you forego that for Posey? What kind of sense does that make?

You draft guys like Paul George and Tyler Hansborough, make the claims that not only are these guys part of the team's future, but that they'll be players who will be able to contribute this year, yet you sit them for a good part of the 1st-half of the season. As well as George performed in replace of BRush during his 5-game suspension, I WOULD HAVE FOUND A WAY TO GET GEORGE PLAYING TIME when BRush returned. You don't sit that kind of talent. You use it!

And then they're Hans..."Psycho-T"...I love the way this kid plays! He never let's up...NEVER! And when your team has had a reputation of giving up on plays and not playing for the full 48 minutes and you have a player who will give you everything he's got for as long as you have him out there, there's just NO WAY I'd let this guy rust away on the bench! You get Tyler Hansborough - a 4-Time All-American - on the floor!!! PERIOD!!!

And then there are players like AJ Price, someone who demonstrate very convincingly - no, not very well, but "convincingly" - that he knows how to run the offense, yet you acquire Darren Collison in a trade and bench Price over him and TJ Ford - a player you tried to trade over the summer and when you couldn't you then attempted to buy him out? C'mon!!! In my view, AJ Price should have been the starter from the opening tip-off. It's not that I dislike DC or TJ; I just didn't think either performed better all around over Price who "KNOWS THE OFFENSE AND IS FAMILIAR WITH ALL OF THE STARTERS!!! Now, when your Team Captain states publicly there are chemistry issues among your starters and one of your starters who happens to be the new PG you acquired over the summer is saying the team is having issues deciding on a solid rotation and that's having an impact on how they close out games, you have to take both very seriously!!!

There are other issues I have with JOB as well, but those identified above are what have frustrated me the most with him. Don't tell me you want the team to run at a fast tempo and that you want to establish a stronger interior presence, but you play the likes of Solo and Posey (and to a degree, Foster) up front. Don't tell me you want to space the floor more, but you leave one of your more consistent 3pt shooting PGs (if not your most efficient shooting PGs) strapped to the bench - AJ Price - or you won't rotate Paul George on the floor when your entire offense is obviously struggling and you know this guy can create his own shot opportunities.

It's all stupidly frustrating to me! But hopefully JOB has listened to TPTB and to his Team Captain and starting PG because these guys have a better feel for what's going on out there than he does.

I was glad to see JOB return to the starting lineup last night that seems to work better together: Granger, Hibbert, Jmac, Collison and Dunleavy. I hope he sticks with that group for the rest of the year and his first rotation players are: Hans, George, Foster, AJ and BRush (once his foot injury heals). I've said it for quite some time now that I though JOB needed to stay with a 10-man rotation and use Posey only as a "specialist" for clutch 3-pt shooting or whenever he really needed to get a defensive stop. I stand by that because let's face it...Posey's not going to be here next year. So, why continue allowing him to log huge minutes when you need to be seeing what you can get out of Hans or Jmac routinely? If Posey were giving us 12 ppg and knocking down 2-3 3-pointers per game, I'd say play the man. But he's not. Again, it's not so much a knock on him, but rather seeing how he fits in the grand scheme of things where this team is concerned. There's a role for Posey to play here. It's just not 12-15 minutes as a solid rotation player at PF.

BlueNGold
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
The tinkering has been going on all year, but it has progressively increased as Jim realized his strategy is not working.

BTW, his attempt to convert Josh into a 3 point shooter and cut Tyler's minutes on Dec. 1st is the single biggest mistake he's made this season...and that started the dominos to falling.

Since that time, the team has been in disarray. As you may recall, this was an abrupt change caused by an abrupt change in strategy. Jim was basically yearning for his stretch 4 game and that killed the entire season and Roy's confidence along with it.

Now we have no consistent rotation...and without a consistent rotation, you cannot expect good things to happen.

What he needs to do is go back to what worked in November. Don't bench Tyler OR Josh. Play them both like he did in November. A healthy dose of both of them will help us win games.

BobbyMac
01-29-2011, 09:56 AM

I very much agree with your stance!

Indra
01-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Jim's an offensive-minded coach. Offensive in every sense of the word.