PDA

View Full Version : If Indiana loses to the Nets, does Jim make it to Chicago saturday?

Foul on Smits
01-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Two things.

1) If we lose to the Nets ( 7 game losing streak ) and Jim O'Brien manages to keep his job, i might riot.

2) After the Chicago game, 10 of the next 12 games are very winnable. There might be positive effect on this team by firing Jim and appointing someone new to coach. If Indy is going to make the playoffs, this next 12 games is the most crucial. So many winnable game. Aside from the Miami games and maybe the Portland game, the rest are very doable. But not with O'Brien.

So the poll question is, with all that said, does O'Brien survive a loss to the Nets tonight?

( If he does, we should just ban all " Fire Jim " threads cause he wont be fired. ).

Pacerfan
01-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Like it or not, he'll still be here.

Foul on Smits
01-28-2011, 01:52 AM
I voted yes cause i've basically lost all faith.

Psyren
01-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Yes, he'll be here.

Management has no backbone, and Larry doesn't want to coach.

Whether we like it or not, Jim will be here Saturday in Chicago.

imawhat
01-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Jim will have to quit or we'll have to start losing by very large margins. I don't expect him to get fired.

Peck
01-28-2011, 02:19 AM
If he wasn't fired after the N.Y. game he won't be fired. Well let me clarify, he probably won't be fired. There may come a point in time 15-20 game losing streak that this may occur but honestly the prime time was after the Knicks game.

They had 5 days off to bring in a replacement and at least have 2 or 3 days worth of practice.

But nothing happened on that end.

However I am coming more and more to the conclusion that I do believe that someone did step in and tell him he had to start giving Tyler, George & Price some minutes.

xBulletproof
01-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Agree with Peck completely. I think it was made clear to O'Brien that he had to play certain players.

As someone (Dakich, I believe) said the other day, I think O'Brien being here is a Simon thing, and not a Bird thing. So it'll take a lot for him to get fired, if at all. As long as he's playing the guys I want to see (mostly, George/Tyler) then I'll maintain my sanity.

BringJackBack
01-28-2011, 05:59 AM
If he wasn't fired after the N.Y. game he won't be fired. Well let me clarify, he probably won't be fired. There may come a point in time 15-20 game losing streak that this may occur but honestly the prime time was after the Knicks game.

They had 5 days off to bring in a replacement and at least have 2 or 3 days worth of practice.

However I am coming more and more to the conclusion that I do believe that someone did step in and tell him he had to start giving Tyler, George & Price some minutes.

Agree with Peck completely. I think it was made clear to O'Brien that he had to play certain players.

As someone (Dakich, I believe) said the other day, I think O'Brien being here is a Simon thing, and not a Bird thing. So it'll take a lot for him to get fired, if at all. As long as he's playing the guys I want to see (mostly, George/Tyler) then I'll maintain my sanity.

I couldn't agree more with these quotes... It's a damn shame that our season has been wasted not due to lack of talent (don't get me wrong, we were only supposed to win 38-42 games), but due to lack of responsibility, indecision, and bad coaching.

Justin Tyme
01-28-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm at the point where I don't believe a truck load of dynamite could budge Jimmy out. If it is Simon who is keeping Jimmy b/c of money, he should look at Charlotte and see MJ is now paying 2 salaries to coaches in a smaller market than Indianapolis. Not to mention Simon has more money to spend than MJ. As the saying goes "if MJ had Herb's money, he burn his own money." All Simon has to do is look how much better Charlotte is playing now with a change of coaches. Pst Herb, they are now in 8th place and the Pacers are in 10th place. I would think that would be an eye opener, but apparently having to pay that half season of Jimmy's salary is more important vs bringing in a new coach and making the playoffs.

Another thing Herb Simon might want to take into consideration is that his players are an investment, and he isn't getting maximum benefit out of his investment under his current coach. Some have regressed to the point of hardly being able recognize them now from how they use to play. Why squander your assets you have millions invested in to save half a year coaches salary? I call that being "pennywise and pound foolish."

johndozark
01-28-2011, 06:46 AM
For the first three years I was not on the "Fire O'Brien" side of things, but I was not in favor of extending him for the fourth year either. I am still not with those who personally hate O'Brien; away from coaching, he has some admirable qualities, generosity being one of them. But it is way past time to fire O'Brien.

Justin Tyme makes the case that we should all be making to Simon. Retaining O'Brien does not make good investment sense. Rather than ranting, let's make the argument that appeals to who Simon is, a shrewd investor.

McKeyFan
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
The only thing keeping Jimmy from future games is an appointment with his hair colorist.

(Anyone notice last game that they are doing a better job? The contrast from black to gray is not as stark as it used to be. PD makes another impact!)

thewholefnshow31
01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Peck nailed it. If they did not fire him after the NY game they are not going to fire him this season. You just have to accept that we are stuck with JOB until the season is over. Simon is not going to pay a guy not to coach given the current financial position of the Pacers.

Nobody on bench now is going to do any better or probably anything differently. They are JOB guys. That means they would have to look at maybe bringing in someone like Mike Brown, but if Bird leaves then your next GM is stuck with a coach he did not pick.

A firing is not going to happen this season.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Two things.

1) If we lose to the Nets ( 7 game losing streak ) and Jim O'Brien manages to keep his job, i might riot.

2) After the Chicago game, 10 of the next 12 games are very winnable. There might be positive effect on this team by firing Jim and appointing someone new to coach. If Indy is going to make the playoffs, this next 12 games is the most crucial. So many winnable game. Aside from the Miami games and maybe the Portland game, the rest are very doable. But not with O'Brien.

So the poll question is, with all that said, does O'Brien survive a loss to the Nets tonight?

( If he does, we should just ban all " Fire Jim " threads cause he wont be fired. ).

If you feel the need to riot, go ahead, but I hope you like spending sometime in jail afterwards.

It is impractical to think they would fire a coach when there are back to back games.

Speed
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I'd assume its straight money, too, at this point.

My main argument is if you think a change gets you two playoff games in the first round, does that offset some of th costs of a new coach? Probably not.

The other argument is just general good will to the fans and a message to the players that they will make changes when nescessary. Not sure that directly puts people in the seats, or enough to impact the bottom line.

If think they are hemmoraging money, so I at least understand the line of thinking.

I think it also depends on the options available, can you get your coach of the future now or will it just be Vogel.

owl
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Just based on finances the following will happen....

1-Obrien will not be fired. It just will not happen
2-No trades will be made
3-Expirings will expire, no resignings
4-Bird and Obrien will both be gone next year. Who needs either one if there is no season.
+++++++++++++++

The clouds will eventually break.

vnzla81
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
So according to Peck the only way he sees Jim getting fired is if they get into some long losing streak, OK so I think I'm going to start to root for the other teams to win then......... Let's go NETS clap clap clap clap clap clap ;)

DaveP63
01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
If he ain't gone now, he ain't gonna go until after the season.

PacerGuy
01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Q: If a nucular bomb goes off tonight in NJ, are the only thing that will survive cockroaches & JO'B?
A: Yes

SMosley21
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm at the point where I don't believe a truck load of dynamite could budge Jimmy out. If it is Simon who is keeping Jimmy b/c of money, he should look at Charlotte and see MJ is now paying 2 salaries to coaches in a smaller market than Indianapolis. Not to mention Simon has more money to spend than MJ. As the saying goes "if MJ had Herb's money, he burn his own money." All Simon has to do is look how much better Charlotte is playing now with a change of coaches. Pst Herb, they are now in 8th place and the Pacers are in 10th place. I would think that would be an eye opener, but apparently having to pay that half season of Jimmy's salary is more important vs bringing in a new coach and making the playoffs.

Another thing Herb Simon might want to take into consideration is that his players are an investment, and he isn't getting maximum benefit out of his investment under his current coach. Some have regressed to the point of hardly being able recognize them now from how they use to play. Why squander your assets you have millions invested in to save half a year coaches salary? I call that being "pennywise and pound foolish."

Exactly! I wonder how many of those "playoff packages" the Pacers have been able to milk their season ticket holders for so far. My guess is, not many considering the money is non-refundable and can only be applied to credit for tickets next season.

beast23
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM

However I am coming more and more to the conclusion that I do believe that someone did step in and tell him he had to start giving Tyler, George & Price some minutes.I believe this is the case as well. I heard Mark Patrick yesterday afternoon on 1260 interviewing Ford, who was at home eating a couple of pieces of cake that HE had baked during the interview.... seems Ford has become quite the chef over the last couple of years.

Anyway, I heard a side of Ford that I really enjoyed. A very down-to-earth guy, extremely personable with Patrick. Ford was talking about his demotion; he was very calm and very resigned to it. He said he understood that it was important to find minutes for the younger players and that was the direction the Pacers were heading in.

The big thing was pretty much what you would expect from any player. That he has enjoyed his time here, he originally came here to play, but his time here just didn't work out for both parties involved. He would not be opposed to a trade, and he would not be opposed to being here beyond this year, as long as he was certain that he would play. His emphasis was that despite the present age of the players on the team, HE was still a young man with a lot of basketball ahead of him.

Bottom line is, he is very much a professional who recognizes that his ego need not be bruised because he is employed in a business that just happens to involve a game. He holds no ill will towards anyone. Quite an amazing man, really.

But... the big point regarding this topic is that young players will play.
------

From my perspective, if it's Mike Brown that we want, not just settle for, but actually want, then there is absolutely no reason why he should not be brought in right now. If you look at the fact that he will get a 3-4 year contract, then you just negotiate the entire package as a whole and not on a per year basis. For example, "Mike, I am going to pay you $10M to coach from this point forward through the next 3 seasons." Or whatever the term and dollars may be. Don't break it down, just make your offer and pay the man.

But, at the end of the day, or the night for that matter, after a humiliating Nets loss, get him the hell out of here.

Hicks
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM

So why did you vote 'No' (as in no, he won't survive a loss tonight)?

Justin Tyme
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
How many of the 39 games left are home games?

Marlin
01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
How many of the 39 games left are home games?

Including tonight, 20.

oxxo
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I hope not, but it does seem like JOB is here to stay this season no matter what happens.

I Love P
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I'll be at the game tomorrow night, and that's the last person I want to see in Chicago.

BillS
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Q: If a nucular bomb goes off tonight in NJ, are the only thing that will survive cockroaches & JO'B?
A: Yes

Well, since JOB will be in Indiana, that's pretty much a gimme...