PDA

View Full Version : Would Pacers Have Won Title?

presto123
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I always had the feeling they would have won the title in the brawl year. They were just rolling over teams at the time. Did they have the best record at that point? I can't remember. Sorry if this has been discussed before. That may have been the only chance for the Pacers to ever win an NBA title although they did give the Lakers a good battle.

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I believe so. I remember being so excited that year because I thought that year was our year. Good one Artest.

Basketball Fan
01-27-2011, 03:28 PM
We'll never really know just like the 1998 season

But I doubt we'd win it all if forced to answer I just can't imagine Carlisle getting it done.

Speed
01-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Its not bad enough I have to watch a 6 game slide, now I have to think about this?

:D

PacersPride
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
The best chance the Pacers ever had at winning a title was in 99. The year sandwiched by the Bulls defeat in 7 and the loss to the Lakers in the finals. In 99 we played the 8th seeded Knicks, and shoulda kicked their a**. Miller blew a FT late to ice the game, and LJ hit the phantom 4 pt play with AD gaurding him, after that the series momentum shifted and the knicks went on to defeat the Spurs.

No way should the pacers have lost to the knicks, and im certain we coulda handled the spurs in duncans rookie season.

to answer the topic question, we had the best team in the East that season no doubt.

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Eh...bad timing for this thread lol. They certainly appeared to have been the favorites of the East that year. Simmons talks some about this in the "What If?" section of the Book of Basketball. If I remember correctly he thought they could have won a title.

presto123
01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
The best chance the Pacers ever had at winning a title was in 99. The year sandwiched by the Bulls defeat in 7 and the loss to the Lakers in the finals. In 99 we played the 8th seeded Knicks, and shoulda kicked their a**. Miller blew a FT late to ice the game, and LJ hit the phantom 4 pt play with AD gaurding him, after that the series momentum shifted and the knicks went on to defeat the Spurs.

No way should the pacers have lost to the knicks, and im certain we coulda handled the spurs in duncans rookie season.

to answer the topic question, we had the best team in the East that season no doubt.

I remember that phantom 4 point play. I was so PO'd:mad: There was all that talk about the league not wanting a small market team in the Finals.

Aw Heck
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
The best chance the Pacers ever had at winning a title was in 99. The year sandwiched by the Bulls defeat in 7 and the loss to the Lakers in the finals. In 99 we played the 8th seeded Knicks, and shoulda kicked their a**. Miller blew a FT late to ice the game, and LJ hit the phantom 4 pt play with AD gaurding him, after that the series momentum shifted and <b>the knicks went on to defeat the Spurs.</b>

I think you have that backwards...

I agree that the Pacers definitely had a shot that year. Smits and the Davis boys vs Robinson and Duncan would've made for a great finals.

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Yet here we sit titleless. Anyone else feeling depressed right about now?

BornReady
01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

lol depressed is an understatement

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Might as well just rename this thread, to rip off scab, pour salt on wound.

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
lol depressed is an understatement

Agreed. I said this in another post sometime but I really wish I knew what it was like to be a fan of a team in the NBA who was consistently good and had won a title. Must be nice to be a Laker or Bull fan. :(

presto123
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Yeah....and all the while the guy that started that whole mess is giving his NBA Title ring away. How's that for irony?:cry:

BornReady
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Might as well just rename this thread, to rip off scab, pour salt on wound.

I suggest ripping the scab off with hooks

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah....and all the while the guy that started that whole mess is giving his NBA Title ring away. How's that for irony?:cry:

Very true. Really sucks when you don't even see a light at the end of the tunnel either. And to think I thought this was the year.

presto123
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Agreed. I said this in another post sometime but I really wish I knew what it was like to be a fan of a team in the NBA who was consistently good and had won a title. Must be nice to be a Laker or Bull fan. :(

Are you not a Colts fan?

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Are you not a Colts fan?

Oh yeah. Big Colts fan. Only reason why I am sane rightnow haha. But of course got my heart ripped out by them this year too lol :bs:

Roaming Gnome
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
No, the brawl team was a ticking time bomb... When your #1 and #2 players are having legit "fist fights" in the locker room... Something would have blown that team apart if the brawl wouldn't have happened.

That team was just not all there in the head!

I still believe our best chance to win would have been 98.... We were so close if only Dale and our front line could of secured a rebound in the second half of that game 7!

BornReady
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah. Big Colts fan. Only reason why I am sane rightnow haha. But of course got my heart ripped out by them this year too lol :bs:

lol how do you think I feel? I'm a bengals fan...

k_lewis93
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
lol how do you think I feel? I'm a bengals fan...

I feel for you lol

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
if the Pistons didn't acquire Sheed in 2004, I think the pacers get to the finals to play the lakers in '04. so who knows.

And yet a lineup that has JO, Tinsley, Artest and in '05 Stephen Jackson is built upon shaky ground, so who knows.

croz24
01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
pacers would have won some titles if they surrounded reggie by a better compliment than jalen rose.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
The better question is which team 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, or 2000 should have won the championship.

Speed
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
No, the brawl team was a ticking time bomb... When your #1 and #2 players are having legit "fist fights" in the locker room... Something would have blown that team apart if the brawl wouldn't have happened.

I still believe our best chance to win would have been 98.... We were so close if only Dale and our front line could of secured a rebound in the second half of that game 7!

Jump ball between Rik and Pippen with about 5 mins left was the turning point, I always thought. Bulls were reeling, starting to doubt themselves. I can't remember, but the Pacers were up more than 2 possessions. Rik lost the tip, all down hill after that. Not blaming Rik, thats the moment I ALWAYS think of.

Yep, '98 was the year.

Speed
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
My memory was a little off...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/06/01/pacers_bulls_31_final/

McKey stripped Jordan on a drive and a jump ball between the 7-4 Smits and 6-5 Jordan was called. Smits tipped the ball straight to Pippen, who found Kerr for a three-pointer that tied it at 77-77 with 6:07 left.

---------------

To be fair they mention the other play too. :)

The two-time defending champions, playing their first Game 7 in four years, overcame surprisingly poor shooting by Michael Jordan (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/Michael.Jordan/index.html) and Scottie Pippen (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/Scottie.Pippen/index.html) with timely offensive rebounding in an 88-83 victory that vaulted the Bulls into the NBA Finals against the Utah Jazz (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/jazz/index.html).

---------------

Also, gotta love Bird the coach.

"I thought we had been good enough to come in and win this series," Bird said. "But our early foul trouble killed us. Personally, I couldn't care less about the Bulls. Our goal is to win a championship. We didn't."

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Jump ball between Rik and Pippen with about 5 mins left was the turning point, I always thought. Bulls were reeling, starting to doubt themselves. I can't remember, but the Pacers were up more than 2 possessions. Rik lost the tip, all down hill after that. Not blaming Rik, thats the moment I ALWAYS think of.

Yep, '98 was the year.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that is still so vivid in my mind.

I also think 1995 was a year we could have won.

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Yep, '98 was the year.

Mark Jackson brought this up on national TV last season, and unlike your post, he really seemed to throw Smits under the bus. I guess he was oblivious to the fact that he got absolutely manhandled by Pippen.

Pacer in Your Face
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
i remember that! I think in 1995 it was.
Im looking forward to out come back.

Speed
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Mark Jackson brought this up on national TV last season, and unlike your post, he really seemed to throw Smits under the bus. I guess he was oblivious to the fact that he got absolutely manhandled by Pippen.

I always thought Jax had some lawyer in him.

vapacersfan
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM

I remember watching and thinking it was weird that he basically threw Smits under the bus

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I remember watching and thinking it was weird that he basically threw Smits under the bus

It was really upsetting to be honest. Even if it was merited (which is wasn't), making the statement on national TV over 10 years later was just goofy (although he would have made the remark sooner probably if he had been on TV sooner).

BillS
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
98,99, and 2000 were very close because each year had a "coulda/woulda/shoulda" feel to it. I suspect that if we take things more seriously in 99 and take care of the Knicks we'd have gotten it done OR, if we lost to the Spurs, would have had just that much more confidence in 2000 for the second Finals trip.

Mr_Smith
01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Ummm....the Spurs beat the Knicks and that was not Duncans rookie year....He was drafted in '97

Pacergeek
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
i am gonna say that 1994 was the year we should have won. that team got so hot towards the end of the regular season, and we carried that momentum into the playoffs.

we swept a good magic team in round one with a young shaq and penny. we then beat another good team, the Hawks, that had Danny Manning, Mookie Blaylock, and Steve Smith in their primes.

We then took the heavily favored Knicks to 7 games. In game seven, we should have won. The ref called a BS techical foul on Reggie when he was fouling just to get the clock stopped. That technical foul call ended the game.

xIndyFan
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM

my first thought was yes, that team would have won the title, they were a great basketball team. but RG is probably correct. JO and ron ron were just too interested in who got to be the band leader instead of actually leading the team. :sigh:

Brad8888
01-27-2011, 08:07 PM
With a different coach, possibly such as the younger Larry Bird from the 2000 team, to handle the volatile personalities, the brawl team could have won it all in my opinion. The only team that could have stopped them if they were all on the same page would have been the Pistons due to their physicality and intensity once Sheed joined that team.

Strummer
01-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Just for the record, it was Ben Wallace that "started that whole mess." Not that I want to defend Ron's actions.

BlueNGold
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't think the JO era players were mature enough to win...and that was proven more than once IMO. There also was not a clear alpha-dog, which was another issue. They were too concerned about themselves and that's reflected in the way JO and Ron didn't work together. Too much me, me, me.

In another environment with a different pecking order (e.g. Kobe and the Lakers) those guys could contribute. But together, Ron and JO weren't going anywhere and that's proven by history. The brawl year would have been another disappointment, because they were who they were. You cannot take the talent and ignore the immaturity. It was one single package and it wasn't going to get it done.

clownskull
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
my first thought was yes, that team would have won the title, they were a great basketball team. but RG is probably correct. JO and ron ron were just too interested in who got to be the band leader instead of actually leading the team. :sigh:

yep. too many key players (ron, jo, tins) with personal agendas that trumped team goals.
they had the talent to be champs but, attitude/maturity issues would never let that happen.
i don't see how anybody could have coached them to win it all.

PacersPride
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
The better question is which team 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, or 2000 should have won the championship.

Without a doubt 98 hurt the most. Losing to the bulls in 7 was the worst feeling from a sporting event. so close to beating MJ.

BlueNGold
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Without a doubt 98 hurt the most. Losing to the bulls in 7 was the worst feeling from a sporting event. so close to beating MJ.

I think that was the closest we got. It's a shame because I think we would have dominated Utah in the finals.

Want something worse to ponder? It might have led to more than one ring.

:mad:

PacersPride
01-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Want something worse to ponder? It might have led to more than one ring.

:mad:

true.

Pacers#1Fan
01-28-2011, 02:41 AM
It's funny to see this come up because me and my dad were talking about this and the Kravitz article earlier today. I honestly think that would have been the Pacers' year. Brawl aside, the Piston's were the defending champs at the time and we dominated the entire game. If I remember correctly we had a rough loss to the Clippers before the the Brawl but that was the only game up to that point that we didn't have at least a good showing. We had legit players at all positions (Tinsley, I know... I know, but at the time he was playing decent ball) and a solid bench rotation. It's amazing how the aftermath of that game can still be felt over six years later.

Peck
01-28-2011, 03:53 AM
1995 or 1998 Either team was your best chance at winning.

Kstat
01-28-2011, 07:11 AM
IMO, Indiana's best collection of talent was 1998. Their best team though, was probably 2004. I think the 2004 team would have suffocated the 1998 version.

BringJackBack
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM
I hate thinking about these kinds of things, but what the hell.

Call me crazy, insane, whatever but I actually think the 2004-2005 team had enough stability to make it had not been for the brawl. Reggie was still there, and Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal were flat out both MVP contenders. They were great (Well, JO as a help defender, not so much as an "enforcer" Dale Davis-Charles Oakley type defender) defensive players, and Stephen Jackson was about as good, if not better, than Danny Granger is now. Unfortunately all of that damn baggage caught up to us and now we're in hell while Ron and JO are contending for championships. :mad: