PDA

View Full Version : Would Mike Brown come aboard right now with his coaching staff

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I've been really sick for several days, so I'm still a little out of it. I would like to move the conversation forward, no not the overdone who do you want the next coach to be, but more lets focus on whether Mike Brown would come right now.

Couple of questions:

Did Mike Brown bring in his own coaching staff in Cleveland - or where they more of less picked for him? where did they scatter too - are they available.

I think Mike brown signed with ESPN - but I have not seen him at all - anyone else see him on ESPN?

Why wouldn't Mike Brown agree to come aboard now to evalauate the players for 38 games. Coaches always say they don't really know players until they coach them

I think we all agree that Bird and Brown have a decent (or better) working relationship.

Any past ties between Pritchard and Mike Brown? If not who are some of Pritchard's guys?

I know the argument that the Pacers don't want to hire a coach with the lockout looming. But IMO that would be a horrible mistake not to have a coach during the lockout - stupid boneheaded mistake. Last lockout ended very quickly and training camp started after only a couple of days, no time to hire a coach. Plus you need a coach for the draft in June.

Speed
01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I was listening to some Podcast the last few days, I'm thinking it was Wells on MPOS or maybe on JMV.

It was said, Bird likes Brown and has an existing good relationship with him.

Sorry no link or a better reference. I've listened to like 5 podcasts in the last few days.

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking the same thing, does anybody knows if the new coach in Charlotte brought his own people? I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?

graphic-er
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I've been really sick for several days, so I'm still a little out of it. I would like to move the conversation forward, no not the overdone who do you want the next coach to be, but more lets focus on whether Mike Brown would come right now.

Couple of questions:

Did Mike Brown bring in his own coaching staff in Cleveland - or where they more of less picked for him? where did they scatter too - are they available.

I think Mike brown signed with ESPN - but I have not seen him at all - anyone else see him on ESPN?

Why wouldn't Mike Brown agree to come aboard now to evalauate the players for 38 games. Coaches always say they don't really know players until they coach them

I think we all agree that Bird and Brown have a decent (or better) working relationship.

Any past ties between Pritchard and Mike Brown? If not who are some of Pritchard's guys?

I know the argument that the Pacers don't want to hire a coach with the lockout looming. But IMO that would be a horrible mistake not to have a coach during the lockout - stupid boneheaded mistake. Last lockout ended very quickly and training camp started after only a couple of days, no time to hire a coach. Plus you need a coach for the draft in June.

I think usually new coaches dont like to be associated with the defeat that the remaining 38 games will bring to their record.

But i think Mike Brown would coach this team tomorrow, if Larry asked him and gave him a decent contract. Its on Herb Simon for that. Mike said he took the year off to for his son to play HS football. Well HS football is done with.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking the same thing, does anybody knows if the new coach in Charlotte brought his own people? I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?

Another excellent reason to have a head coach before a lockout.

Silas did bring in his own coaching staff. I don't know if any of Larry Brown's staff stuck around in any capacity

graphic-er
01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
I did see Mike on ESPN one night, but it was mainly to talk up Lebron James during the NBA shoot Around. He was a special guest for the evening, and probably spent the most time talking answering Q's about James.

d_c
01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?

If there is a lockout, coaches and GMs are not allowed to have contact with players (or even name players during interviews). At least that's what I can recall from previous lockouts.

I'm sure stuff could be done under the radar and unofficially, but officially speaking, they are not supposed to be in contact during a lockout period.

bellisimo
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
If there is a lockout, coaches and GMs are not allowed to have contact with players (or even name players during interviews). At least that's what I can recall from previous lockouts.

I'm sure stuff could be done under the radar and unofficially, but officially speaking, they are not supposed to be in contact during a lockout period.

yea i remember in the last lockout it was Uncle Reggie and Mark Jackson who held the Pacers workouts/etc to keep the team ready to go once the lockout was over

Gamble1
01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
I was listening to some Podcast the last few days, I'm thinking it was Wells on MPOS or maybe on JMV.

It was said, Bird likes Brown and has an existing good relationship with him.

Sorry no link or a better reference. I've listened to like 5 podcasts in the last few days.
I heard that as well on the radio.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM

That is true - no contract. But if I am a player and the team I play for doesn't have a coach that sends a bad message to me. I have no idea what style we are going to play, no idea what my coach wants me to work on during the offseason.

Did any team not have a coach during the 1999 lockout. I do know some of the players never recovered from the lockout. Several got fat and never returned to form.

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM

I understand this, I'm just talking about goals for next year, for example when Jim told Josh to practice his three point shot.

Gamble1
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM

All the more reason to change the coach now and establish the future system that the players will be running.

Speed
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Problem is if Bird either isn't retained or doesn't want to come back, you've taken away the ability of the new GM to hire his own coach. I'd guess if you are going to bring in a new GM by choice or force, they would want to have the ability to pick his guy.

With that said, I love the idea of bringing in Mike Brown. I'd go so far to say, the Pacers would get one of the last two seeds, if they did this now, just from the breath of fresh air alone. Regardless of what you think about Obie.

imawhat
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
What are the people on his former staff currently doing?

It just happened with Paul Silas, who hasn't coached in a few years. Maybe he would, but it seems unlikely that he'd coach right now if he were offered a job.

Basketball Fan
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I did see Mike on ESPN one night, but it was mainly to talk up Lebron James during the NBA shoot Around. He was a special guest for the evening, and probably spent the most time talking answering Q's about James.

He reminds me of Doug Collins everytime he talks about Michael Jordan

travmil
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
yea i remember in the last lockout it was Uncle Reggie and Mark Jackson who held the Pacers workouts/etc to keep the team ready to go once the lockout was over

Man, I forgot about that. What a difference having great veteran leaders makes. If the same thing happened today who would lead the workouts for the Pacers? Granger and Hibbert? Maybe Foster? More importantly, who would show up?

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Man, I forgot about that. What a difference having great veteran leaders makes. If the same thing happened today who would lead the workouts for the Pacers? Granger and Hibbert? Maybe Foster? More importantly, who would show up?

You'll all laugh when I say this, and I know he won't even be under contract anymore, but my money would be on TJ Ford.

FireTheCoach
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Mike Brown.... lol. No freakin way man. He's best suited for what he was doing here, coaching defense... he's not head coach material.

graphic-er
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Mike Brown.... lol. No freakin way man. He's best suited for what he was doing here, coaching defense... he's not head coach material.

To be fair the guy did a good job in Cleveland. They went to the finals, they won alot of games in the regular season. Sure it helps to have Lebron. But he had to coach the other 14 players on the roster and Lebron doesn't get you 60 games by himself.

xIndyFan
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
To be fair the guy did a good job in Cleveland. They went to the finals, they won alot of games in the regular season. Sure it helps to have Lebron. But he had to coach the other 14 players on the roster and Lebron doesn't get you 60 games by himself.

not trying to be a smart alec, but based of cleveland record last year with lebron and this year with out lebron, maybe he does get you 60 games by himself.

JB24
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
We need a guy who can implement a half-decent offensive system.

bphil
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I would rather have Mike Woodson...

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Problem is if Bird either isn't retained or doesn't want to come back, you've taken away the ability of the new GM to hire his own coach. I'd guess if you are going to bring in a new GM by choice or force, they would want to have the ability to pick his guy.

With that said, I love the idea of bringing in Mike Brown. I'd go so far to say, the Pacers would get one of the last two seeds, if they did this now, just from the breath of fresh air alone. Regardless of what you think about Obie.

What if Pritchard is going to be that guy and he is being consulted right now. I don't know

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
What if Pritchard is going to be that guy and he is being consulted right now. I don't know

At this point I'm hoping that KP is the guy.

wintermute
01-27-2011, 01:09 PM

We could get around this if the new coach is willing to come aboard on an interim status. That's what Charlotte did with Silas.

Not sure if Mike Brown would do that though. He's rumored to have turned down the Bobcats. But I suppose our team has a brighter future than the 'Cats.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
We could get around this if the new coach is willing to come aboard on an interim status. That's what Charlotte did with Silas.

Not sure if Mike Brown would do that though. He's rumored to have turned down the Bobcats. But I suppose our team has a brighter future than the 'Cats.

if the Pacers tried to get Mike Brown as interim the Pacers organization would rightly so be compard to the Clippers. A joke. Brown would laugh also

No they would have to offer him a 3 or 4 year deal

d_c
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
if the Pacers tried to get Mike Brown as interim the Pacers organization withour rightyl so be compard to the Clippers. A joke., Brown would laugh also

No they would have to offer him a 3 or 4 year deal

Absolutely. He'd be taking too big a risk just coming over as an interim just to do the Pacers a favor. What if he takes over and shows that he can't really do much to improve the situation? Then his stock takes a hit and he wouldn't be as highly valued when looking for his next job.

For an established guy like Brown, you'd have to offer a permanent deal up front. He's not going to do a trial period for you as a favor.

wintermute
01-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe you guys are right, but I was equally surprised when Silas agreed to Charlotte's interim job. I was thinking they were likelier to get some assistant jumping at a chance to be HC, even on an interim basis. Perhaps the looming lockout has more of an impact than commonly perceived.

Maybe Mike won't be desperate enough, but I'm sure the Pacers will find an "established" coach who is. There are only 30 NBA HC jobs after all.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe you guys are right, but I was equally surprised when Silas agreed to Charlotte's interim job. I was thinking they were likelier to get some assistant jumping at a chance to be HC, even on an interim basis. Perhaps the looming lockout has more of an impact than commonly perceived.

Maybe Mike won't be desperate enough, but I'm sure the Pacers will find an "established" coach who is. There are only 30 NBA HC jobs after all.

Paul Silas is 70 years old. He's coached a team in Charlotte before, he has been living in Charlotte before.

The biggest difference is Mike brown is young and has a long career ahead of him. Paul Silas is old and said the Charlotte job is the only job he would take

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Like UB said, Silas and Charlotte/MJ have a good working relationship. The team has been very strict in labeling him as the interim head coach (all published materials including game programs, the website, etc use this terminology).

Silas brought in his own people, including his son Stephen who draws up most of the plays and handles a great amount of the in-game coaching duties, and Charles Oakley - a player who has never coached before but is bringing about drastic changes in Kwame Brown's game. I don't get to catch a lot of national coverage for the NBA right now but I doubt people are talking about this. He had yet another double double last night.

The Bobcats are playing well right now - part of it is they're beating the teams they should, but they have beat the Bulls twice in the last month. Charlotte was basically a similar situation to ours where a change of scenery was needed. Larry Brown was holding back on playing some of the more capable, yet unproven youth. The result was the surprise emergence of DJ Augustin and until getting injured, Tyrus Thomas.

spazzxb
01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Why do you want Mike Brown? All cleveland ever ran(for the most part) was the give Lebron the ball and everyone else stand around offense.

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
If nothing else I would like it for the change of scenery. I do, however, think he could do wonders for our defensive sets and rotations right now though.

spazzxb
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
If nothing else I would like it for the change of scenery. I do, however, think he could do wonders for our defensive sets and rotations right now though.

The change of scenery is an understandable desire, however whatever decision is made we will be stuck with for years to come.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Why do you want Mike Brown? All cleveland ever ran(for the most part) was the give Lebron the ball and everyone else stand around offense.

That isn't really true. However he has never been a head coach of a team without Lebron James, so chances are the offense here would be vastly different. I would expect to see a Carlisle or Popovich type offense (which are not entirely disimilar).

beyond that I think he's the best coach we could get midseason. If the Pacers wait until summer maybe they can get a current assistant coach or a coach more to your liking.

Mackey_Rose
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM

What offense would you run with that team?

Because anything other than the "give Lebron the ball and everyone else stand around offense," would be the wrong choice.

There is no reason to expect Brown to run the same style offense on any team without Lebron. JOB doesn't do it, but good coaches adjust their system to best suit their players, not vice versa.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I think the best type of offense for this team is a lot of ball movement, multiple pick and rolls, misdirection, reversing the ball

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the best type of offense for this team is a lot of ball movement, multiple pick and rolls, misdirection, reversing the ball

I actually think that the best offense for this team should be similar to what SA used to run before this year.

Justin Tyme
01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Another excellent reason to have a head coach before a lockout.

Silas did bring in his own coaching staff. I don't know if any of Larry Brown's staff stuck around in any capacity

IIRC, Charles Oakley was one Silas brought. I'd love to have him as a big man's coach working with Hibbert, showing him how to man up with some tuffness.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
IIRC, Charles Oakley was one Silas brought. I'd love to have him as a big man's coach working with Hibbert, showing him how to man up with some tuffness.

Wonder if Dale Davis would like to be an assistant coach?

Justin Tyme
01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
not trying to be a smart alec, but based of cleveland record last year with lebron and this year with out lebron, maybe he does get you 60 games by himself.

Good point. As much as us Pacers fans hate our season, I'd hate to be a Cavs fan right now. They are the only team that hasn't won at least 10 games this season.

I was talking to a friend, and it was said no matter how bad it is there is always something worse. Cavs definately is a worse case scenario. I never thought much of Ferry as a GM. His bringing in Moon and Parker as pieces to help win a championship just didn't make sense to me. His one smart move was not trading for Murphy. I'm sure DC fans will agree!

spazzxb
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I am not saying it wasn't there best option. I am just saying Brown is unproven. I have heard alot of people talk about him as a defensive coach who knows little about offense. This is what people say, it could be wrong, I don't know. I do know that good defense and poor offense is how you can describe our current teams performance this year.

What offense would you run with that team?

Because anything other than the "give Lebron the ball and everyone else stand around offense," would be the wrong choice.

There is no reason to expect Brown to run the same style offense on any team without Lebron. JOB doesn't do it, but good coaches adjust their system to best suit their players, not vice versa.

Justin Tyme
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Wonder if Dale Davis would like to be an assistant coach?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any. Even better if he could play about 15-20 minutes a game for the Pacers the rest of the season. I'm sure he could teach the young'ns a few things about being physical... both as a player and a coach! Show them what a stretch 4 isn't, a real POWER forward.

beast23
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Why wouldn't Mike Brown agree to come aboard now to evalauate the players for 38 games. Coaches always say they don't really know players until they coach them...

I know the argument that the Pacers don't want to hire a coach with the lockout looming. But IMO that would be a horrible mistake not to have a coach during the lockout - stupid boneheaded mistake. Last lockout ended very quickly and training camp started after only a couple of days, no time to hire a coach. Plus you need a coach for the draft in June.I think it probably is true that coaches never really know players until they coach them. And coaching our players for 30 games or so to end the season would put Brown in an excellent position to have input to what the Pacers needs are in preparaton for the draft and free agent signings.... which leads me to a point I've made in another thread.

Without a new coach in place, the Pacers have about a zero probability of signing even a marginal FA, let alone one of the top-tier FAs.

Having a new coach now would also help establish a new team identity, hopefully a positive one. Combine that with actually playing hard-nosed ball, competing in the remaining games and winning a better percentage of them, then maybe we can begin to gain some attention from prospective FAs.

I'm beginning to fear that we will gain our cap space, but have to sit on it for a year because our summer opportunities will have passed us by because we haven't adequately prepared ourselves for any success in the FA market.

Justin Tyme
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Like UB said, Silas and Charlotte/MJ have a good working relationship. The team has been very strict in labeling him as the interim head coach (all published materials including game programs, the website, etc use this terminology).

Silas brought in his own people, including his son Stephen who draws up most of the plays and handles a great amount of the in-game coaching duties, and Charles Oakley - a player who has never coached before but is bringing about drastic changes in Kwame Brown's game. I don't get to catch a lot of national coverage for the NBA right now but I doubt people are talking about this. He had yet another double double last night.

The Bobcats are playing well right now - part of it is they're beating the teams they should, but they have beat the Bulls twice in the last month. Charlotte was basically a similar situation to ours where a change of scenery was needed. Larry Brown was holding back on playing some of the more capable, yet unproven youth. The result was the surprise emergence of DJ Augustin and until getting injured, Tyrus Thomas.

Since Silas took over, Kwame Brown has been playing really good BB. I don't know why, maybe Oakley maybe Silas maybe both. Whatever the reason he's a MAJOR factor that the Bobcats have been winning. Silas has given Henderson playing time, and he's had some good games as well. This, as I said last week, is a prime example of a coach taking over a team and making a difference! Hint hint Bird and Simon, if MJ can pay for 2 coaches for a small market team SO CAN Pacers ownership. MJ would burn his money if he had Herb's money.

Deadshot
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Since Silas took over, Kwame Brown has been playing really good BB. I don't know why, maybe Oakley maybe Silas maybe both. Whatever the reason he's a MAJOR factor that the Bobcats have been winning. Silas has given Henderson playing time, and he's had some good games as well. This, as I said last week, is a prime example of a coach taking over a team and making a difference! Hint hint Bird and Simon, if MJ can pay for 2 coaches for a small market team SO CAN Pacers ownership. MJ would burn his money if he had Herb's money.

From what I've been reading, Oakley is doing the majority of the work with the big men. And when I go early to games, I've seen him spending a lot of time with Nazr as he rebounds from an injury. There was a rumor on a Bobcats forum I read that Oak and Brown got into it at practice one day and Oak put him in his place, but I have no idea if there is any validity to this. I did, however, enjoy reading this article about Oakley:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-oakleythecoach

PacerGuy
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I still like Patrick Ewing as a dark horse coach. I think he would be good for Roy, and working on the bench in Orlando has given him a look @ success.

speakout4
01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Larry can't bring in any named coach because he doesn't know if he or anyone else in the FO will be around next season. He can't give anyone an extended contract and any coach like Mike Brown would rightfully expect a 3-4 year contract if they had a good showing for the rest of the season.

We are stuck with JOB or nobodies for the interim so Larry has to decide whether nobodies are better than JOB. My guess is that nobodies will do no worse.

pwee31
01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Threads like this just give me false hope. Shame on you Unclebuck

McKeyFan
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Larry can't bring in any named coach because he doesn't know if he or anyone else in the FO will be around next season. He can't give anyone an extended contract and any coach like Mike Brown would rightfully expect a 3-4 year contract if they had a good showing for the rest of the season.

We are stuck with JOB or nobodies for the interim so Larry has to decide whether nobodies are better than JOB. My guess is that nobodies will do no worse.
Then Bird should step down right now and hand it to Pritchard or Morway.

Trophy
01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I would hope he or the new coach would add a former head coach to his staff just for more experience.

BoomBaby33
01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Mike Brown would be awesome for this team riight now. I would ecstatic too. Go get him Larry.

speakout4
01-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Then Bird should step down right now and hand it to Pritchard or Morway.
Morway and all the rest may be gone too. Simon may just bring in a whole new group. No one knows but who wants a guy like Bird who says he isn't sure whether he even wants to come back...That must make Simon wonder whether he really needs this guy running his team.

beast23
01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Morway and all the rest may be gone too. Simon may just bring in a whole new group. No one knows but who wants a guy like Bird who says he isn't sure whether he even wants to come back...That must make Simon wonder whether he really needs this guy running his team.I think that if everyone is replaced the new team will have a very difficult time determining what the best moves are to improve the team through the draft and free agency. They simply would not have the day-to-day experience with our players and knowing what their abilities are and are not.

I believe it would be wise to retain those that can best provide that knowledge/advice as the Pacers approach the draft and free agent signings. If not, we could end up with no cap space and still have a very flawed, incomplete team.