PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert to try to gain weight/Mike Wells

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110127/SPORTS04/101270407/Hibbert-needs-bulk-up?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Fever|s

I'm my iPhone can somebody post the article? Thanks

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
By the way I think is a good idea, I was worried about him losing so much weight and him struggling confirmed what I was thinking, he needs to at least gain like 15 to 20 pounds of muscle back.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Nothing like playing yo-yo with your body weight. Roy should ask JO how that turned out. We now need to add C to SG and PF as positions of need.

Speed
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I'd say muscle and then weight as a result.

A little alarming, they are telling him to eat junk food, not really the school of thought on how to do it.

Start cranking a ton of protein, which they mention with shakes...

I'd suggest contacting the Colts and seeing how to pack on lean muscle. Even with his body type he can get stronger.

By the way, last night, was just as much about not moving his feet as it was just pure muscle.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
This season honestly just keeps going from bad to worst...what a disaster.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
The biggest problem with Roy:

He is slow, does not have good lateral quickness........but Roy also is easily overpowered. That is a very bad combination in any player especially a center. he has to get one of the other or he'll never be worth much

Day-V
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Can't wait for "Hibbert out for season with Torn ACL" to pop up on ESPN.

Roaming Gnome
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Rik Smits Part 2...

Wasn't he asked to pack on a lot of weight by some pretty bad coaching staffs we had early in his career because he was being man handled before he just gained the experience to be effective in the league. Didn't Larry Brown and his coaching staff tell Smits he might be more effective being a little lighter on his feet?

What's that saying about History and being doomed to repeat it...

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Roy has had a bigger melt down than Chernobyl.

Taterhead
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know what's worse. Watching the team play or listening to some of the fans.

Roy played well for 2 months, and he's struggled for 2 months. That's the life of a 23 year old 7'2" NBA center. Especially one playing for a coach who is in love with 3 pointers.

Rik Smits Part 2...

Wasn't he asked to pack on a lot of weight by some pretty bad coaching staffs we had early in his career because he was being man handled before he just gained the experience to be effective in the league. Didn't Larry Brown and his coaching staff tell Smits he might be more effective being a little lighter on his feet?

What's that saying about History and being doomed to repeat it...

So Roy and Rik have the exact same feet? I don't see the connection. There have been boatloads of bigs who have successfully added weight.

Roy has already played at a heavier weight and has never had injury issues at any weight.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't know what's worse. Watching the team play or listening to some of the fans.

Roy played well for 2 months, and he's struggled for 2 months. That's the life of a 23 year old 7'2" NBA center. Especially one playing for a coach who is in love with 3 pointers.

Roy is about the only guy who's had his minutes yanked around that has only himself to blame IMO. JOB built the offense around him, and Roy has failed. Period. He's the only guy who is getting his minutes yanked around that isn't being replaced by someone who can hit the outside jumper.

JOB may love his 3s, but his love of the perimeter game has absolutely nothing to do with Roy's failures.

It is all on Roy and his somewhat bi-polar personality.

Taterhead
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Roy is about the only guy who's had his minutes yanked around that has only himself to blame IMO. JOB built the offense around him, and Roy has failed. Period. He's the only guy who is getting his minutes yanked around that isn't being replaced by someone who can hit the outside jumper.

JOB may love his 3s, but his love of the perimeter game has absolutely nothing to do with Roy's failures.

It is all on Roy and his somewhat bi-polar personality.

He has failed? To do what? The offense was built around him? Really? That's rich. This offense is built around Mike Dunleavy and Danny's green light.

If he has failed then the expectations are ridiculous. He is 23, and he is on a bad team with a bad coach. Only an idiot would expect him to excel.

He is slow, does not have good lateral quickness........but Roy also is easily overpowered. That is a very bad combination in any player especially a center. he has to get one of the other or he'll never be worth much

Name a 7'2" player with good lateral quickness Buck?

d_c
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Nothing like playing yo-yo with your body weight. Roy should ask JO how that turned out. We now need to add C to SG and PF as positions of need.

Yep. It's not a good idea. Didn't do much good for Troy Murphy, either.

Roaming Gnome
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Tater, I didn't say a word about the condition of his feet. That wasn't where I was going! I was just pointing out that they asked Rik to play at a heavier weight early in his career. The results of him playing at that weight were not beneficial to his skill set. Rik was not a banger, nor is Roy! Rik didn't need the extra bulk, maybe Roy doesn't either...

That was the comparison that I was aiming for.... Not Rik's issues with his feet.

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep. It's not a good idea. Didn't do much good for Troy Murphy, either.

Yes it did, he got big enough so he could push his teammates around and steal their rebounds.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
He has failed? To do what? The offense was built around him? Really? That's rich. This offense is built around Mike Dunleavy and Danny's green light.

If he has failed then the expectations are ridiculous. He is 23, and he is on a bad team with a bad coach. Only an idiot would expect him to excel.

Apparently you didn't watch the offense from October through December. Roy got constant touches, more than anyone else on the team by a mile.

Only an idiot would think the offense at the start of the season wasn't built around Roy. And he completely folded about half way through December.

Some of you would like to blame JOB for everything, and that's fine, but it completely ignores the fact that a lot of our players are now severely overrated because "They don't have flaws! JOB just sucks!" seems to be the prevailing attitude towards everything. Roy is the biggest offender of this. The flat out fact is that Roy just hasn't been very good for about the past 20 or so games.

Taterhead
01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Apparently you didn't watch the offense from October through December. Roy got constant touches, more than anyone else on the team by a mile.

Only an idiot would think the offense at the start of the season wasn't built around Roy. And he completely folded about half way through December.

Some of you would like to blame JOB for everything, and that's fine, but it completely ignores the fact that a lot of our players are now severely overrated because "They don't have flaws! JOB just sucks!" seems to be the prevailing attitude towards everything. Roy is the biggest offender of this. The flat out fact is that Roy just hasn't been very good for about the past 20 or so games.

Yeah I would rather blame the coach of 4 years than the 23 year old center.

The offense wasn't built around him at all. Even through that stretch Roy would go 5-6 minutes without even getting the ball. Saying he got more touches than Granger by a mile is funny as well. Danny touches the ball about every time down the court, many times he is the only one to touch the ball.

What coach would yank the player he built his whole offense around anyways? That claim is absolutely ridiculous. He was a much bigger focus than last year, but no one ever claimed the offense was built around Hibbert. That is a fabrication.

And who is over rating him? You? This team needs more talent, and that is obvious. And you can't put that kind of pressure on a 23 year old. Danny Granger should be the one people are looking at. He had his time where people made excuses for him already.

So what were your expectations of Hibbert exactly? To carry one of the least talented teams in the league to the playoffs?

Roaming Gnome
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Please let's tone down the "only an idiot" talk in this thread....
Yeah, we can disagree but the hostility needs to be ratcheted down a bit!

BPump33
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes it did, he got big enough so he could push his teammates around and steal their rebounds.

Haha, I laughed. I admit it.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree Granger needs more scrutiny. He's not even recognizable as the guy he was two years ago.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Roy, but he was definitely given a lot more touches this season IMO and he completely came up short. Does JOB get the blame for Roy's shooting %'s being in the toilet all year long too?

My expectations for Roy? How about any sign of improvement? Yeah we saw it for about a month and a half, and then POOF, he's regressed back to worse than his rookie year. No, I was not expecting him to carry this team, but after he hyped himself up, hell yes, I was expecting him to at least follow through on it. Instead he's a 7'2" guy shot 43% from the field on the season (miserable for someone that big) and shooting 38% from the field over the past month (numbers that if Roy wasn't treated with such kid gloves around here, should have us questioning whether he even deserves to be in the NBA let alone as our starting center). 38% from the field over the course of a month from your 7'2" starting center, I mean that is epically bad.

graphic-er
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
The unfortunate thing is, none of his weight gain is going to show up for these season. You can't pack on pounds that quickly when you have a metabolism of a professional athlete.

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
All eating greasy foods is going to do is make Roy feel sluggish and lethargic anyway. If that is seriously the training staffs plan then they really are dumber than a box of rocks.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Name a 7'2" player with good lateral quickness Buck?

Well you are going to get me on the 7'2", but there are a number of 6'11" 7'0" who have good quickness. Jeff Foster, Garnett, Sheed, Chandler, Kendrick Perkins. But OK I don't or can't expect Roy to be like those guys, then he needs to be a lot stronger than he is. Last night Dwight went right around him when he wanted, and other times he just overpowered him when he wanted.

Actually Kenderick Perkins is the best low post one-on-one defender in the NBA right now (when he gets healthy) he has the quick feet and hands and yet is very strong also. But in order to be adequate you have to have one of the other

xIndyFan
01-27-2011, 10:14 AM

:iagree: this. looks like roy went too far in losing weight to gain quicks. the only way he is ever going to put on weight during the season is eat bad foods. the article mentioned BBQ. that isn't really a bad food is it. i thought BBQ was one of the major food groups essential to a health life. :laugh:

righteouscool
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
They told him to eat fast food? Ugh, I'm 3/4 of the way through a bio degree and I can tell you that is stupid. He needs to eat tons of protein and hit the weights. Roy doesn't need more weight, he needs more muscle.

imawhat
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Don't do it, Roy. It's not your body that's causing you problems.

Sookie
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
No, it's not completely on Roy.

We built the offense around Roy. Teams adjusted, and the Pacers never adjusted to the adjustment. We just let Roy fail.

Coaches even have to adjust for the best players in the world. And we didn't do anything to help Roy out. (other than make Josh shoot threes and play Posey more..)

Roy's capable of being a great center for us. He's not capable of being the best player on the team, having the offense revolve around him, while all of the defense is also revolving around him..and still succeeding, without any help.

This isn't all on Roy. And it's a darn shame people feel that way.

Trophy
01-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I thought he lost too much weight for a center.

He needs to add more pounds and continue to build more muscle and he'll be a more powerful big man and I think he'll be more confident.

BillS
01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Don't do it, Roy. It's not your body that's causing you problems.

We built the offense around Roy. Teams adjusted, and the Pacers never adjusted to the adjustment. We just let Roy fail.

Coaches even have to adjust for the best players in the world. And we didn't do anything to help Roy out. (other than make Josh shoot threes and play Posey more..)

Roy's capable of being a great center for us. He's not capable of being the best player on the team, having the offense revolve around him, while all of the defense is also revolving around him..and still succeeding, without any help.

While I agree it isn't ALL on Roy, there is certainly something Roy needs to do so he can take better advantage when he gets the ball. If the offense has to be designed to get you to a specific position and get you the ball in exactly that position you are going to be very easy to defend for your entire career.

Where I think he is having issues is that he can't push through a defender to maintain (or get back) his position.

While pure bulk is NOT the complete answer, it gives him a little more inertia.

And, for those saying that the training staff just wants him to bulk up by eating junk food, please read the article again with your cynicism turned off. They said he could add in some "bad" foods (Roy's words, not theirs). For all we know that could be just allowing himself to have bread or potatoes occasionally. Wells is the one that extrapolates that to mean junk foods.

ilive4sports
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree he needs to put on weight. 248 for a guy who is 7'2" is pretty slim. Doing it by eating bad food is dumb. He needs to put on muscle in his legs and core.

itzryan07
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
i like the sound of that. Whenever i watch Hibbert it seems he can never back down other centers and every time he gets the ball down low he shoots it without 1 dribble

CableKC
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I thought that Hibbert's loss in weight had attributed to his increase in mobility at the start of the season. If ( as everyone suggests ) Hibbert is able to gain more weight ( not necessarily by eating fast food ) by hitting the protein shakes and weight room....will the likely added muscle mass slow him down?

BlueNGold
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Tater, I didn't say a word about the condition of his feet. That wasn't where I was going! I was just pointing out that they asked Rik to play at a heavier weight early in his career. The results of him playing at that weight were not beneficial to his skill set. Rik was not a banger, nor is Roy! Rik didn't need the extra bulk, maybe Roy doesn't either...

That was the comparison that I was aiming for.... Not Rik's issues with his feet.

Yes, Roy needs to gain strength and experience, but not much weight. The reality is, he will still be limited even when his body and mind fully mature...but he may still become an all-star caliber C.

Unfortunately for the Pacers, there is no guarantee other than IF it happens it will take time...and right now is too early.

Also, the style the Pacers play probably hurts Roy's game.

graphic-er
01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Just eat some big macs and get your man card back.

JB24
01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Just eat some big macs and get your man card back.

Putting filth into your body= man?

righteouscool
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought that Hibbert's loss in weight had attributed to his increase in mobility at the start of the season. If ( as everyone suggests ) Hibbert is able to gain more weight ( not necessarily by eating fast food ) by hitting the protein shakes and weight room....will the likely added muscle mass slow him down?

adding fat is what Hibbert wants to avoid and it seems that is what he's being told to do. Muscle is heavier than fat and adding more muscle to his frame will increase his weight already. He needs to hit the weight room with Tyler and eat proteins.

I'm really just confused by him being told to eat fast food. That is all kinds of bad fat.

Sookie
01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Maybe he considers red meat to be "bad foods" a lot of athletes cut red meat out of their diet. But that would have a lot of protein.

they also probably want to avoid him losing more weight, as it sounds like he has. So this is probably more like "you aren't on a diet anymore Roy, it's okay to have a cookie every once in a while" Not "go have some big Macs"

Taterhead
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Please let's tone down the "only an idiot" talk in this thread....
Yeah, we can disagree but the hostility needs to be ratcheted down a bit!

Some people on this board are so incredibly sensitive.

I wasn't calling Trader Joe an idiot at all. I actually like him a lot, he's one of my favorites on here. I was just saying it is unreasonable for anyone to expect a 23 year old center to carry the team over an entire 82 game season, and make the playoffs. He's not ready for that, and it showed, he crashed. Beyond that, Roy is a complimentary player anyways. It seems the expectations are ridiculous and people are just wanting to point fingers. Well if that is what they want to do, they need to point them at the people making the decisions and calling the plays.

Roy has shown a lot of improvement this year, regardless of his rough stretch. He has also shown an extraordinary level of dedication since he's been here. This team has sucked for 4 years now and he is the ONLY player we have had in that span that has shown any kind of fire to excel or even acted like he give a crap. Who else has shown a drive like Roy's?

The fans in this town keep trying to tell me Danny Granger is the heart of this team. Yeah right. That guy couldn't care less. He is the epitome of whats wrong with the team in general. They play when they want to. They don't have the drive to be successful. They don't have enough Roy Hibberts.

Let the kid play, stop blindly criticizing and instead find ways to encourage him. Because he's earned that. Roy knows he has to play better, and I know he will work as hard as he can to do so. That is enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

PacersPride
01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd say muscle and then weight as a result.

A little alarming, they are telling him to eat junk food, not really the school of thought on how to do it.

Start cranking a ton of protein, which they mention with shakes...

I'd suggest contacting the Colts and seeing how to pack on lean muscle. Even with his body type he can get stronger.

By the way, last night, was just as much about not moving his feet as it was just pure muscle.

agree, i mentioned it elsewhere, roys bball iq seems low, or in other words he lacks experience.

Roy needs a big man coach. bring in dale davis for defensive purposes. smits. anyone. it will pay dividends.

McKeyFan
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Let's see . . .

We won lots of games in November when Roy "was the center of the offense." We've lost lots of games the following two months when he was no longer made the center of the offense.

Maybe we need to put him back in the action and let him work through it. I don't care if he goes 0 for 100. Eventually, he will find ways to adjust and maybe we'll get back to our November form.

I don't think Jeff Foster is going to lead us to the offensive promise land.

CableKC
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
adding fat is what Hibbert wants to avoid and it seems that is what he's being told to do. Muscle is heavier than fat and adding more muscle to his frame will increase his weight already. He needs to hit the weight room with Tyler and eat proteins.

I'm really just confused by him being told to eat fast food. That is all kinds of bad fat.
I'm primarily concerned if the additional muscle mass would affect his quickness and overall athleticism. He's already slow....I thought that his loss of weight would help his quickness....but if he added the muscle mass back...I'd hope that it won't diminish any of that.

PacersPride
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Let's see . . .

We won lots of games in November when Roy "was the center of the offense." We've lost lots of games the following two months when he was no longer made the center of the offense.

Maybe we need to put him back in the action and let him work through it. I don't care if he goes 0 for 100. Eventually, he will find ways to adjust and maybe we'll get back to our November form.

I don't think Jeff Foster is going to lead us to the offensive promise land.

Roys footwork in the post is bad. he does not have enough strength to get good low post position. when he does, he normally tries a left-handed hook. is this Roys go-to move? he uses the left hand hook enuff to make me think he is ambidexterous.

another thing i would like to see Roy do is catch, one power dribble then shoot.. this is primarily on offensive rebounds. he seems off-balance. power dribble, establish, score. many aspects Roy can improve on. His defensive positioning, and not fouling so much when contested.

easier said than done sometimes. Who is the big man coach for the pacers.? anyone?

LA_Confidential
01-27-2011, 11:41 PM
"He's really slow". Really? How many fast 7'2 guys are their in the world? As long as Roy gets stronger and not fatter he'll be fine.

graphic-er
01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Maybe he considers red meat to be "bad foods" a lot of athletes cut red meat out of their diet. But that would have a lot of protein.

they also probably want to avoid him losing more weight, as it sounds like he has. So this is probably more like "you aren't on a diet anymore Roy, it's okay to have a cookie every once in a while" Not "go have some big Macs"

If he has lost 10lbs since the season has begun then he most definitely needs to eat some fast food on a regular basis. He is burning through his calories too quickly, therefore he needs to increase his calorie intake. Processed foods are great for calories. They are empty calories, but at this point he is burning through so many calories that he is losing muscle mass.

NBA players don't get fat during the season anyways. Its pretty much unheard of.

spazzxb
01-28-2011, 01:29 AM

The coach gets plenty of blame around here, its good to talk about the other issues occasionally. Coaching philosophy doesn't make someone shoot poorly 1 on 1 in the post. I think he will grow through this and is still our center of the future.

Taterhead
01-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Roys footwork in the post is bad. he does not have enough strength to get good low post position. when he does, he normally tries a left-handed hook. is this Roys go-to move? he uses the left hand hook enuff to make me think he is ambidexterous.

another thing i would like to see Roy do is catch, one power dribble then shoot.. this is primarily on offensive rebounds. he seems off-balance. power dribble, establish, score. many aspects Roy can improve on. His defensive positioning, and not fouling so much when contested.

easier said than done sometimes. Who is the big man coach for the pacers.? anyone?

That is Roy's biggest issue, he has no go to move down low. I thought it looked like the jump hook was coming along, but the truth is he's just not there yet offensively. But he's really young and has a great attitude. So why give up on him when he's the age of a lot of rookies?

Now that he's got his body in order he needs to just keep working like he has been and the post moves will come. I don't like the idea of him bulking up either but it wouldn't hurt for him to be around 265 lbs. That is still pretty light for a guy his size. I just hope it's muscle and not fat.

Pacemaker
01-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Shawn Windle (strength and conditioning coach) ... "bad food" ... REALLY ?? I've heard some football players eat just about everything to get heavier so they can't be pushed aside easily ... But basketball ? Go figure. :hmm:

pacergod2
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I said before the season that it was great to have Roy slimmed down. I still believe that. But the problem is that other guys defend him by pushing on him by getting lower. I also mentioned that Roy would have to add muscle to his frame in the off-seasons going forward. But he has to start lean and then add muscle. He doesn't need to get that bulky as long as he maintains his flexibility. He will add weight naturally and also through the increased mass. I expect Roy will be better prepared next year than this year. His improvements may not be as significant, but he will be able to gain utilizbale stregnth. With Rik and JO, it seemed as though they just focused more on adding the weight and it took a toll on their knees and joints. That says to me that their cores weren't strong enough for the weight and their hips and leg muscles were underdeveloped because their focus was too much on upper body strength. Adding muscle to the hips and legs would have helped with lateral quickness as well. This is the path that Roy needs to go on. He has a flaw in his body type as such a young player where other players can take advantage. And they do. And it takes away his effectiveness. Roy needs to settle down in the post. He is taking his shots WAYYYYYYYY to quick. He doesn't even give himself time to set and make a move. He gets the ball and is into a move. He rushes everything he is doing right now. Instead, he should give himself a second to have control of the ball in position and read the defense's reaction to him. If the don't help, then he can go to work. But right now it seems like he wants to keep in the frame of mind to score in "6 seconds or less". No I am not blaming JOB, but there is a reason I want Bill Laimbeer in here as a coach.

Unclebuck
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
They told him to eat fast food? Ugh, I'm 3/4 of the way through a bio degree and I can tell you that is stupid. He needs to eat tons of protein and hit the weights. Roy doesn't need more weight, he needs more muscle.

They are not telling him to eat fast food.

SMosley21
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe Roy should go back on the basketball and red wine diet

http://www.lebasketbawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Roy-Hibbert-11.6a.jpg

Doddage
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
You don't need a bio degree to know that it's not a good idea to put that stuff in your body, which I don't think will be the case with Roy.

Since86
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Your body doesn't know where you get your calories from. To your body, fat is going to be treated the same, regardless if it comes from a Big Mac or not.

In order to put on weight, you have to bring in more calories than you expend. Fast food is often times an easy way to do it, because it has so many calories. He would be eating all the time if he was trying to gain weight while eating healthy. That's why it's called HEALTHY food........

I'm pretty sure the people advising him/training him have a lot more knowledge on this subject than this board does. It's not like you get an online degree. The Pacers have a paid Dietitian on staff, I'm sure of it. Those degrees aren't easy to come by, trust me, I've sat in enough nutrition classes to last me a life time.