PDA

View Full Version : I am not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel; It's one or the other Larry

O'Braindead
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Up to this point a lot of this mess has been on the on the coach, but this is really beginning to get on Bird and even worse, it's getting on the players.

I somewhat understand not firing Jim after the loss at Madison Square Garden because that would be a knee jerk reaction even had the coach been Dick Versace with white sideburns. But tonight is a different story.

Starting with the players, after going 0-4 during the road trip I was really expecting us to come out with a punch, but to no avail, it never happened. Our top guns, Danny and Roy, played with zero energy and they made bad decisions throughout the game. Mike Dunleavy, Danny Granger, and especially Darren Collison were making bad decisions with the ball (Even if Collison was scoring the ball, he was looking at all of the wrong players). Tyler Hansbrough got slaughtered on defense; Paul George, Danny Granger, and our point guards the same. They also didn't put any significant effort into this game, and that is extremely dissapointing.

They lack cohesiveness. Just like past years we no longer have any chemistry whatsoever. The players do not fit, which will bring me to my next point:

Larry Bird has to get players that fit together. We have Roy, a low post scorer, Darren, a ball dominating point guard, Danny Granger, a shooter, and Mike Dunleavy, a spot up shooter. Or offense has Roy operating in the high post, Darren is basically a scoring guard in this offense, Danny Granger is forced to consistently make plays for himself, and Mike is forced to run off of screens and take off balance shots that he isn't very capable of making compared to his talent level.

It's one or the other. If Larry is going to support the coach, than he can't support the players. Thats being somewhat hypocritical and he's being contradicting if he isn't pressing hard to make moves while at the same time supporting Jim O'Brien. It simply can't go both ways. If Larry doesn't support the coach, than:

Jim really needs to be let go for the sake of everyone. He packed the defense in on Dwight, and he forced the Orlando Magic to make jumpshots. They are 39.1% on threes, and tonight since they weren't being guarded due to us packing the defense in they shot 47.1% from three while Dwight was still 8-16 for 19 points. That gameplan was obviously a failed plan, and Jim has unofficially lost the team. I do applaud him, however, for sticking with George through thick and thin so far.

I didn't go to the game today despite owning season tickets, and I didn't/don't regret it.

It's one or the other: Jim or the players. The talent doesn't fit, Jim won't change the system (We went back to the motion), and the players aren't playing hard. We aren't going to win any games until a decision is made; The players and the coach are that bad of a fit.

The players are simply not going to play hard until a decision is made, and Jim isn't going to have success here until a decision is made.

:fatbanana :lazy:

EDIT: For good measure:

There are fans wearing bags over their head here at the game. That's how bad it's gotten for the Pacers.
33 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by 18 people

http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/30448758919536640#

BringJackBack
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM

At this point with the team I feel the pain.

Kegboy
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
There are fans wearing bags over their head here at the game.

Eh, I'm not gonna worry until there's bag fatheads in area 55.

PaceBalls
01-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Things are about as bad as they can get right now. At least Jim is trying to play different guys, but I just get the feeling he is grasping at straws, his leash is shorter than ever and he is just hoping Paul or AJ or someone will end up turning into a leader.

He has lost all faith in Hansbrough and Hibbert, in spite of them starting the games. I really don't remember seeing Roy after the first few minutes of the game, same with 'Bro.They were playing really bad, but they are who you have, you gotta stick with em. I mean what other option is there? Posey and Solo? I would include Josh, but Jim lost faith in him a long time ago.

I just think this short leash he has for the players he keeps trying to say are the foundation of the team is really hurting the overall mentality of the team.

Really at this point, even if Jim does everything perfect, I don't think things will be much better, this team has lost all confidence and I just don't see them climbing out of this mental hole.

The one thing I would suggest to our coach, out of desperation, is to show the guys some film of how well they were playing in November. Scratch everything that has been said and transpired since then and start over with that group of players and rotation and gameplan.

McRoberts needs to be on the floor, it's not like he has become a different player over the last 3 months. We could still be that team we were in November.

A Rewind/Reboot. That is what I would do for the next 8 games. If things are still awful, then I just work on the development of AJ, Paul, Tyler, hell even Lance and just bring on the tank with some youth experience.

D-BONE
01-26-2011, 11:09 PM
There will be no light at the end of the tunnel until both JOB is gone and we have made significant upgrades to this roster. And the latter may not be as likely/simple to accomplish despite what we are hoping about the vaunted cap space.

vnzla81
01-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I am afraid that Larry would make some kind of knee jerk trade for an old veteran like Jamison so this team can make that last push for the playoffs and also somebody that could fit Jim's system.

D-BONE
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Not the type of upgrade I have in mind - Jamison or similar. And yes that is a valid concern.

aaronb
01-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I am afraid that Larry would make some kind of knee jerk trade for an old veteran like Jamison so this team can make that last push for the playoffs and also somebody that could fit Jim's system.

If there is a silver lining to the season taking this turn, it's :

1. Less likely we are trading for vets for an I'll advised playoff push

2. We are looking at a better draft slot

3. Looking very likely we get a total housecleaning.

As much as this sucks now. If it leads to a tighter ship going forward? It's probably a franchise godsend.

Midcoasted
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
The players have given up on JOB. Hopefully we don't win again until he is gone.

O'Braindead
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Up to this point a lot of this mess has been on the on the coach, but this is really beginning to get on Bird and even worse, it's getting on the players.

I somewhat understand not firing Jim after the loss at Madison Square Garden because that would be a knee jerk reaction even had the coach been Dick Versace with white sideburns. But tonight is a different story.

Starting with the players, after going 0-4 during the road trip I was really expecting us to come out with a punch, but to no avail, it never happened. Our top guns, Danny and Roy, played with zero energy and they made bad decisions throughout the game. Mike Dunleavy, Danny Granger, and especially Darren Collison were making bad decisions with the ball (Even if Collison was scoring the ball, he was looking at all of the wrong players). Tyler Hansbrough got slaughtered on defense; Paul George, Danny Granger, and our point guards the same. They also didn't put any significant effort into this game, and that is extremely dissapointing.

They lack cohesiveness. Just like past years we no longer have any chemistry whatsoever. The players do not fit, which will bring me to my next point:

Larry Bird has to get players that fit together. We have Roy, a low post scorer, Darren, a ball dominating point guard, Danny Granger, a shooter, and Mike Dunleavy, a spot up shooter. Or offense has Roy operating in the high post, Darren is basically a scoring guard in this offense, Danny Granger is forced to consistently make plays for himself, and Mike is forced to run off of screens and take off balance shots that he isn't very capable of making compared to his talent level.

It's one or the other. If Larry is going to support the coach, than he can't support the players. Thats being somewhat hypocritical and he's being contradicting if he isn't pressing hard to make moves while at the same time supporting Jim O'Brien. It simply can't go both ways. If Larry doesn't support the coach, than:

Jim really needs to be let go for the sake of everyone. He packed the defense in on Dwight, and he forced the Orlando Magic to make jumpshots. They are 39.1% on threes, and tonight since they weren't being guarded due to us packing the defense in they shot 47.1% from three while Dwight was still 8-16 for 19 points. That gameplan was obviously a failed plan, and Jim has unofficially lost the team. I do applaud him, however, for sticking with George through thick and thin so far.

I didn't go to the game today despite owning season tickets, and I didn't/don't regret it.

It's one or the other: Jim or the players. The talent doesn't fit, Jim won't change the system (We went back to the motion), and the players aren't playing hard. We aren't going to win any games until a decision is made; The players and the coach are that bad of a fit.

The players are simply not going to play hard until a decision is made, and Jim isn't going to have success here until a decision is made.

:fatbanana :lazy:

Larry has made a choice. Larry chose the players in favor of the coach. Congratulations. :dance:

I just wanted to bump this because I said up to this point he has to choose the players or the coach. That is all.