PDA

View Full Version : Is Josh in the future plans?

Speed
01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm curious, what people think.

He'll be a free agent after this season. He's making 885k this year. He was a starter and a DNP-CD guy.

Peck
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm curious, what people think.

He'll be a free agent after this season. He's making 885k this year. He was a starter and a DNP-CD guy.

He probably shouldn't be either.

I like Josh, but if you could upgrade to a higher level player it would make sense.

However there is zero reason he should be getting DNP-CD's either.

vnzla81
01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't think he is coming back.

CableKC
01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd love to have McBob fill out the Big Man PF/C rotation as a backup Big Man. But with the way that McBob has been in and out of the rotation thanks to JO'Bs inability to get a clue....I think that if McBob gets a reasonable offer elsewhere with an expectation that he will get a consistent 15 mpg...he'll bolt and I wouldn't blame him for doing so with the way JO'B has been treating him.

CableKC
01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
He probably shouldn't be either.

I like Josh, but if you could upgrade to a higher level player it would make sense.

However there is zero reason he should be getting DNP-CD's either.
To me, I think that he should get roughly 15 mpg on a consistent basis. 15mpg is consistent with the role that he should play on this Team...backup Big Man filling out the PF/C rotation.

But IMHO...I think that there is either some issue between JO'B and McBob...hence the DNP-CD is more of a punishment for getting out of line...and/or this is yet another example of JO'Bs "tough love" when it comes to teaching the younger players whatever the heck JO'B is trying to teach them.

Speed
01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm assuming that Obie is gone, if not, I can't see him wanting to come back.

Other thing that will be interesting with the lockout, I would guess no summer league. I'm not sure of the rules of the lockout, but I'd guess it means you can't use the facilities. So it might it tougher to keep tabs on his progression and how hard he's working.

BillS
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think he brings enough that other teams lack to get huge bids from someone else, so while it is always a matter of "depends on what other teams offer" I doubt it will be a big problem.

I think he'll stay unless someone actively tries to send him out the door.

Trophy
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I think we're going to offer him a contract and he probably wants to play here, but will still listen to offer possible offers.

spazzxb
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I think he will be back. I just don't think he is a good Center, or that it is wise to play him and Foster together.

Johnny Strange
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I cant imagine the Pacers want him. JOB obviously doesnt want him, but as it has been pointed out in almost every post, JOB is an idiot. Anyone who values JOB's basketball evaluation of talent is a fool. If the front office wanted him he would at least be dressing. This team has got to be losing money like crazy. Our home attendance is pathetic. Truth be told, Josh may be the only guy on that entire team who, given a choice, would remain a Pacer. The Pacers are a joke. No free agent worth a crap would chose the Pacers.

Sookie
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure. I'm starting to think the Pacers don't really care. As in, they'll sign him if he signs for cheap..but if he'd like to move on, he can. I get the feeling that JOB was told to play PG, AJ, and Hans..which means he wasn't told to play Josh.

PaceBalls
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I think a lot of what Josh decides will be dependent on who is our coach next year. Josh wants to play, he feels he has the skills to be a starter and I think he is good enough to at least be our back up and get steady minutes.

If for some reason Jim is back, Josh will refuse to come back is what I would guess.

Kegboy
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I really have no idea, considering TPTB are in flux. Taking all the personalities out of the mix, I think it still comes down to who we're targeting. If we get a starting quality PF and a veteran backup C, I could see Tyler being viewed as more than adequate as the 4th big man and us not pursuing Josh.

I do believe Josh has shown enough this year that he'll get offers from elsewhere. Might not be great offers, but may be more than what we'd be willing to pay if the above were to come to pass.

PacerDude
01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Odds are that JOB won't be back next year (Please Lord ............. please), so he'll probably get utilized in a different, more consistent way. He's not a starter, so an offer that reflects that would be fair. There's probably something to be said about the 'hometown' thing too. He's well liked by the fan base and that whole scene might be tough for him to leave.

Heisenberg
01-26-2011, 10:28 PM
We don't even know if Bird and Morway are going to be back. Every thing about the direction of this team could be different in 7 or 8 months.

I'd like him to be back as a 4th big (Hibbert, starting 4, Hans, Josh), but if it's for more than something like 3/$6mm then I'd be fine if we passed.

xIndyFan
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
i think the pacers see josh as a young player with some potential. but he has proven himself not ready for prime time. josh has lots of things he does ok, but none of his strength match those things a PF has to do. except rebounding. josh is a good troy murphy rebounder. blocks out. gets the defensive rebounds that come to him.

imo, the pacers will be happy to have josh back if they can get him on the weights and make him bigger and stronger. josh is a big strong guy, but compared to other NBA 4's, not so much. plus josh needs some work on his post up game. not sure he is able to post up anyone on the team taller than 6'.

TPTB have to like josh's energy and effort, so it has to be size, strength and skill that keeps him on the bench. the pacers would play anyone who was able to play well. since josh isn't playing, it is easy to surmise that he is not playing because he is not a good player now. give josh another year of work and see if he can fix what is wrong.

BlueNGold
01-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I expect Josh to be here next year. His value is not high enough to draw interest...but he's still a decent 10th man on an average team. Don't let people like Jim tell you anything different.

BTW, anyone notice that our record is now worse then the previous 3 seasons. Yes, we have gone from .430, .430, .390...and now down to .381. Jim, you are an incredibly lucky man to have the job you currently hold. Even with better PG's than previous teams and across the board development of young players...we are actually worse. Each year we add talent yet the record keeps getting worse. I thought Jim's job was to win games.

An empty chair could have done better. Seriously, the Pacers need to save bucks and just cut Jim loose...let the players coach themselves.

Pacerized
01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I voted yes but I think it will be at a much lower salary then most think and it might depend on who we bring in as a free agent. If we bring in a big 4 that can play a lot of time at the 5 then I think we have a greater need for Josh then if we bring in a small 4. I don't see Josh as a decent solution for a backup 5. I really hope we bring in a big man who leans more toward playing at the 5 then at the 3. We need size and brute force in the paint. How long ago was it that many on here were wanting to extend Josh for as much as 5-7 mil per year. He's a nice 8-10th man but I've never seen him as worth that much. Josh needs to wait until we fill our roster 1-7 before being signed. If he's signed I think he'll be a victim of the new CBA to a degree.

maragin
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I think what JOB's done with Josh this year is criminal. I hope Josh comes back.

Justin Tyme
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of variables as to whether McBob is a Pacer next season. If TPTB do decide to keep him, a somewhere between Solo to Dahntay type salary is about right, 1.5-2.5 mil with only the 1st 2 years guaranteed. If another team offers more, then let him move down the road with our thanks for having been a Pacer.

pacers74
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I think if we get rid of JOB, then depending on the coach we could bring McRoberts back. He could be a great first big off of the bench for us. He could be the Birdman role for us. I would love to bring him back.