PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford's Mock Lottery

Dr. Awesome
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft
By: Chad Ford

Despite being the 9th seed in the East, we are currently sitting at the 9th spot in the draft. Seems like most of these mocks have us drafting John Henson from UNC at 9.

This draft scares me. Theres a lot of high risk/high reward players. Very few of the players listed did much at all at the college level. This could be another 2001 draft.

cdash
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I don't like this draft at all. John Henson certainly does little to excite me.

BPump33
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
On my 2nd try we got the 1st pick. Kyrie Irving.

tsm612
01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
It's interesting that they list Derrick Williams as a 6'7" small forward. On all the other mock drafts he's listed 6'8" - 6'9" and as a power forward. I think he's playing power forward now. Is he a small forward in the NBA?

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 03:24 PM

me 2 guess we would trade DC2

DGPR
01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
2nd try I got the 3rd pick and Jared Sullinger. That would be very exciting.

DGPR
me 2 guess we would trade DC2

Not for a year or two at least.

Trophy
This is a really weak draft and we need to take what we need which is a PF.

BringJackBack
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
It's interesting that they list Derrick Williams as a 6'7" small forward. On all the other mock drafts he's listed 6'8" - 6'9" and as a power forward. I think he's playing power forward now. Is he a small forward in the NBA?

He's got a big man's athleticism (elite athleticism) and size, and he has Tyler Hansbrough's body.

I'd say a four, and I don't really know why he'd be a three in the NBA.

Trophy
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM

We'd definitely take Perry Jones if we were picking first.

This is the first draft in a long time that we don't need to focus primarily on getting a PG.

clownskull
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
keep in mind the season is far from over. we could still drop some more. i don't see this team even winning 30 games (unless a big turnaround happens)
i don't think this team will have a big turnaround this time and win meaningless games like it has the last several years. i think by the time late march rolls around we won't be worrying about the playoffs any more.

Sparhawk
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Nothing exciting outside of the top 5 really, and that's if some of these guys even come out, which could be doubtful.

I think there are some interesting guys in the late first and early second, but again, more for solidifying solid role players.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Not for a year or two at least.

In my view Kyrie is a NBA ready pg right now. I would take him 1st overall if i had that pick unless i had a chris paul elite type pg on the roster.

aaronb
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Sullinger would be a nice fit.

judicata
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
In my view Kyrie is a NBA ready pg right now. I would take him 1st overall if i had that pick unless i had a chris paul elite type pg on the roster.

I agree, although I'd like to see how he looks after he gets back from his injury and how he responds to a tough opponent on the road.

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Can we draft Stanko again?

owl
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
He's got a big man's athleticism (elite athleticism) and size, and he has Tyler Hansbrough's body.

I'd say a four, and I don't really know why he'd be a three in the NBA.

Put Tyler on one side and Derrick Williams on the other with Roy in the middle.

Speed
01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Can we draft Stanko again?

I'd like to hear Birds take on the European guys they have the rights to and if there are any plans to bring them over next year or ever.

It's probably an end of year question, but I wish Wells or Bruno would ask, at least.

JB24
01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Irving won't declare. I'd bet my house on it.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Irving won't declare. I'd bet my house on it.

that would be stupid he will be a top 3 pick

croz24
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
in a draft this weak, especially at pf, the pacers need to draft bpa. and if irving comes out, he would be bpa at #1.

Since86
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
that would be stupid he will be a top 3 pick

Coach K isn't a fan of one and done players, and has said in the past that if he needed to choose between a great one and done or a good multi-year player, he'll go with the multi-year player.

Not only that, but there are a lot of questions about the CBA that's going to muddy the waters.

It would be silly for underclassmen to declare if there's a lockout, they not only wouldn't be getting paid, they wouldn't be able to play for their college teams either. That would be the worst of both worlds.

The CBA needs to be pretty much agree'd upon before you'll see underclassmen declare.

They might put their names in without an agent, but I really doubt it.

90'sNBARocked
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Were having this conversation already?

Speed
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Were having this conversation already?

Great sign, things are pretty bad!

Eleazar
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
All I know is that if this team drafts in the top 5 that I don't care what position the player plays just draft the best player possible. I would rather draft a PG better than Collison and trade Collison than draft a position of need who will be nothing more than a solid starter.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Coach K isn't a fan of one and done players, and has said in the past that if he needed to choose between a great one and done or a good multi-year player, he'll go with the multi-year player.

Not only that, but there are a lot of questions about the CBA that's going to muddy the waters.

It would be silly for underclassmen to declare if there's a lockout, they not only wouldn't be getting paid, they wouldn't be able to play for their college teams either. That would be the worst of both worlds.

The CBA needs to be pretty much agree'd upon before you'll see underclassmen declare.

They might put their names in without an agent, but I really doubt it.
Thats why Eric Gordon didnt go to duke he was thinking about it but didnt want to put coach K in a siuation where he would leave after one yr. Coach K still would have took Eric im sure he would have taken Kyrie knowing he was gonna leave after 1 yr

Kegboy
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Well, they list Jordan Hamilton as going to Wake Forest, so shows what they know. :shakehead

Since86
01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Thats why Eric Gordon didnt go to duke he was thinking about it but didnt want to put coach K in a siuation where he would leave after one yr. Coach K still would have took Eric im sure he would have taken Kyrie knowing he was gonna leave after 1 yr

I don't think so. There's zero evidence that he would, and quite a bit of evidence that he wouldn't.

Duke was on John Wall's short list too, but Coach K pretty much quit recruiting him when it was clear he was going to be a one-and-done player.

It makes zero sense for underclassmen to even be entertaining the idea of coming out early though. It would be stupid to do so, without the CBA being nearly done.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think so. There's zero evidence that he would, and quite a bit of evidence that he wouldn't.

Duke was on John Wall's short list too, but Coach K pretty much quit recruiting him when it was clear he was going to be a one-and-done player.

It makes zero sense for underclassmen to even be entertaining the idea of coming out early though. It would be stupid to do so, without the CBA being nearly done.

I know Eric's family and they say he would have went there but decided on IU because they met his critera also. which was a top 20 preseason rank and a Coach that they thought would help his game. He already decided on being one and done b4 even going im sure that had to do with the CBA but im not sure.

Shade
01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
This is a really weak draft and we need to take what we need which is a PF.

We need a veteran PF. If we keep our pick, we may want to go after a center.

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I know Eric's family and they say he would have went there but decided on IU because they met his critera also. which was a top 20 preseason rank and a Coach that they thought would help his game. He already decided on being one and done b4 even going im sure that had to do with the CBA but im not sure.

:laugh:

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM

so u think Kyrie will be a 3-4 yr player?

Since86
01-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Eric's decision had nothing to do with the CBA, I'm talking specifically about underclassmen NOW.

If the league and players union don't agree to a new CBA, there will be a lockout. I doubt you're old enough to remember the last one, but it was brutual on the players and eventually they caved because they don't have the financial stability that the owners do.

They are jobless without the NBA, the owners often times already lose money on their franchises.

It would be absolutely stupid, for an underclassmen to put his name into a draft when he won't even be getting paid by whatever team drafts his rights.

He won't be able to play college, because he'll be considered a "professional" yet he won't be able to play in the NBA because there won't be an NBA to play in, until a new CBA is agreed upon.

I don't know how else I can say it. I seriously doubt many, if any, underclassmen declare before a new CBA is reached. If they do, they'd better do so without an agent and be damn sure they don't break any rules. If they enter the draft, and hire an agent, then I would have big question marks about their ability to actually think logically.

It makes 0% sense to enter a draft when there's an extremely high chance you'll be needing to find another job just to pay the bills and while you won't be able to play for your college.

It's just dumb.

Even IF Kyrie wanted to declare, there are a lot of questions that he doesn't have the ability to answer that need to be taken care of, before that decision should ever be made.

Since86
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
so u think Kyrie will be a 3-4 yr player?

I don't know about 3 or 4 but most definitely atleast a two year. Just like Josh, just like Jay Williams.

I don't think there is even ONE player who left after their first year at Duke. Not even one. Combine that with the fact that Coach K backs off his recruiting when players indicate they will only be one-and-done and the evidence supports my opinion.

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
If the underclassmen declare, that should tell you all you need to know to stay away from them, because they are morons.

aaronb
01-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know about 3 or 4 but most definitely atleast a two year. Just like Josh, just like Jay Williams.

I don't think there is even ONE player who left after their first year at Duke. Not even one. Combine that with the fact that Coach K backs off his recruiting when players indicate they will only be one-and-done and the evidence supports my opinion.

Corey Maggette is the only one I remember off hand?

PR07
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I want Sullinger. He'd be perfect. It says he's the draft's best low post scorer and rebounder, and has long arms and a relentless motor at 6'9 260 LB.

Pacersalltheway10
01-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Top 5 looks awesome. So if we don't make the playoffs, I want a top 5 pick. Not a 10th pick. Perry jones is top on my list if we make the top 5

CableKC
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Im more interested on who will likely be available at the 12th to 14th spot.

Based off of what you're saying about this upcoming years draft....it sounds like unless we end up with the 1st to 5th draft pick in the draft...which means we will likely have to finish with the worst to 5th ( or maybe even up to the 7th ) worst record this season....it doesn't really matter if we draft after the 6th spot or if we draft with the 14th spot.

Given the weak draft class....there's as much of a good chance of drafting someone at the 14th spot then there is of drafting one at the 6th or 7th spot....assuming that the FO does their homework.

judicata
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
K's position on One-and-done players is changing. Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers are not likely to stick around, nor should they absent CBA silliness.

Trophy
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I have a feeling we're going to trade our pick.

ChristianDudley
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
This is DEFINITELY the year to trade our pick!!!

TheDon
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I think its funny thaat nbadraft.net has both trey thompkin from georgia and jared sullinger nba comparison is kevin love lol. I think sullinger is a better rebounder and can get by on his strength/athleticism and thompkin seems to have a better bball IQ and a better passer but having seen both of them I've never thought wow he could be the next kevin love lol.

judicata
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I think its funny thaat nbadraft.net has both trey thompkin from georgia and jared sullinger nba comparison is kevin love lol. I think sullinger is a better rebounder and can get by on his strength/athleticism and thompkin seems to have a better bball IQ and a better passer but having seen both of them I've never thought wow he could be the next kevin love lol.

I don't think anyone looked at Kevin Love and thought he could be the next Kevin Love.

Its hard to parse your post, but suggesting that Sullinger is a better rebounder and Thompkin is a better passer than Love is pretty hard to swallow (you may have been comparing them to each other though.)

TheDon
01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't think anyone looked at Kevin Love and thought he could be the next Kevin Love.

Its hard to parse your post, but suggesting that Sullinger is a better rebounder and Thompkin is a better passer than Love is pretty hard to swallow (you may have been comparing them to each other though.)

I apologize I wasn't saying that but yeah I didn't make that very clear just looking at each of them comparing them to each other and not to kevin love.

immortality
01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
You never draft for need, always best player available. Best example, Trail Blazers needed a center, they drafted Sam Bowie, instead of Michael Jordan. There are more, but I think that should be sufficient. So stop saying we need to draft for a PF, the draft is a tool to get better players at any position.

BringJackBack
01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Can John Henson primarily play the three? If he is, than that makes things a wee-bit better even though I still don't really like him.

If he's an NBA four, PASS.

flox
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I would definitely trade out of this draft.

lavell12
01-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Pass on Henson, he has little touch offensively and he is built like a 3rd grade girl. He can block shots but in the NBA he will get thrown around. He can't play SF either b/c he has NO jump shot. He is also like a 35% foul shooter.

Eleazar
01-26-2011, 01:01 AM
You never draft for need, always best player available. Best example, Trail Blazers needed a center, they drafted Sam Bowie, instead of Michael Jordan. There are more, but I think that should be sufficient. So stop saying we need to draft for a PF, the draft is a tool to get better players at any position.

That depends on where in the draft you are. In the later picks when you know it is highly likely all you will be drafting is someone who will be a back-up you can and almost should draft for need. While if you are drafting in the lottery, especially in the top 5 you should be drafting by talent because you never want to pass up the next great player because you needed a PF now.

Future_NBA_Player
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Not necessarily, look at what happened when Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic and Adam Morrison were drated based on talent alone. I know the BobCats, and Michael Jordon extremely regret their decisions on drafting based on talent alone. I think you need to look at the whole picture. (Talent and Need) We needed a PF. We drafted a TALENTED POWERFORWARD. We were able to accomplish both. (Talent and Need)

Future_NBA_Player
01-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I want Sullinger. He'd be perfect. It says he's the draft's best low post scorer and rebounder, and has long arms and a relentless motor at 6'9 260 LB.

Keep dreaming, if we don't have a top 3 pick. He wont make it in the NBA, he is fat. Do you remember how good Demarcus Cousins was in college? He was fat. He isn't translating to the NBA very well. College players need to realize body conditioning is just as important as their game.

xBulletproof
01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Keep dreaming, if we don't have a top 3 pick. He wont make it in the NBA, he is fat. Do you remember how good Demarcus Cousins was in college? He was fat. He isn't translating to the NBA very well. College players need to realize body conditioning is just as important as their game.

The only thing not translating to the NBA well is Cousins attitude. His per 36 numbers are 18 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.

Almost all rookies wish they didn't translate that well.

pacer4ever
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
The only thing not translating to the NBA well is Cousins attitude. His per 36 numbers are 18 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.

Cousins is an a Stud i dont know what the hell that guy was talking about. He is already better than Hibbert. His only problem is turnovers and just does stupid things sometimes and is his attitude isnt that great like u said.

cdash
01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I've been a fan of DeMarcus Cousins' game since the first time I saw him at UK. I honestly thought he had a bigger impact in college than John Wall did for most of the season. That said, his attitude was and still is very scary.

As far as this draft is concerned, I'll be honest, only one guy projected to go in the lottery really excites me for this team: Jared Sullinger. I really think he is going to be an extremely solid NBA power forward. The other guy I really like is Kyrie Irving, but I still think DC is going to be special once JOB's system is in his rear view mirror.

pacer4ever
01-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Cousins fat? more like big and strong. Have u seen his aglity and moblity? I havent seen a guy that big and mobile since sice Shaq in his prime.

judicata
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM

The kid averages over 4 fouls in his 20 odd minutes a game. He couldn't play 36 minutes if he wanted to.

Doddage
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of using per-36 stats. You never know how things would actually shake out if a player got 36 minutes. It's an idealization.

Eleazar
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
The kid averages over 4 fouls in his 20 odd minutes a game. He couldn't play 36 minutes if he wanted to.

Almost all big men struggle with foul trouble there first year or two in the league with very few exceptions. In fact usually that is the biggest hurdle most of them face.

xBulletproof
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM

He actually averages 4 fouls in 26 minutes. Per 36 he averages 5.7

So he could play 36 per game as long as you let him foul out. :-p

crunk-juice
01-27-2011, 03:05 AM
we must acquire a backup center

Since86
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone else watch the Jimmer Show last night?

For what it's worth, I think he's going to be a great pro. The kid is extremely quick, and has unlimited offensive weapons. Whether it's shooting it from 30ft with a hand in his face, a pull up jumper, or taking it all the way to the basket, he's got it all.

Kevin Durant tweeted that Jimmer was "the best scorer in the world."

I've seen highlights before last night, and they were pretty impressive then. But then you watch him, and realize that those highlights aren't even "highlights" that's just how he plays every single possession.

He's shooting 40% from 3, and they aren't spot up 3s they are with hands in his face the entire time, and 48% from the rest of the field.

I cannot get over last night's performance. Just amazing.

Jimmer needs to tighten up his handles, but the complete package is there. SDSU tried everything to stop him, used quickness, used length, brought a double team right when he crossed half court. It didn't matter, he did what he wanted, when he wanted.

And Leonard from SDSU is pretty good. Needs to work on his shot but he has that uncanny ability to always come up with the loose ball, or offensive rebound.

pacer4ever
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Anyone else watch the Jimmer Show last night?

For what it's worth, I think he's going to be a great pro. The kid is extremely quick, and has unlimited offensive weapons. Whether it's shooting it from 30ft with a hand in his face, a pull up jumper, or taking it all the way to the basket, he's got it all.

Kevin Durant tweeted that Jimmer was "the best scorer in the world."

I've seen highlights before last night, and they were pretty impressive then. But then you watch him, and realize that those highlights aren't even "highlights" that's just how he plays every single possession.

He's shooting 40% from 3, and they aren't spot up 3s they are with hands in his face the entire time, and 48% from the rest of the field.

I cannot get over last night's performance. Just amazing.

Jimmer needs to tighten up his handles, but the complete package is there. SDSU tried everything to stop him, used quickness, used length, brought a double team right when he crossed half court. It didn't matter, he did what he wanted, when he wanted.

And Leonard from SDSU is pretty good. Needs to work on his shot but he has that uncanny ability to always come up with the loose ball, or offensive rebound.

Thats exactly what i was thinking also i hope the pacers draft him he is a stud

BPump33
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I posted this video in the prospect thread, but seriously watch this guy. His crossover is ridiculous.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zjVNf9Hj-4g?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zjVNf9Hj-4g?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Since86
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Good enough for the #1 pick?

I think he makes Stephen Curry look like a child, with their scoring ability. Maybe not a child, but I think Jimmer is hands down the better scorer, no questions asked.

pacer4ever
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM

I think he makes Stephen Curry look like a child, with their scoring ability. Maybe not a child, but I think Jimmer is hands down the better scorer, no questions asked.

right now he is projected late 1st early 2nd. But i think he will go around 15-20 should be higher but people will question his ablity to translate to the NBA. I would love him on our team.

Dr. Awesome
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM

cdash
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM

How quickly we forget...

vnzla81
01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
he is a stud

:twss:

Trader Joe
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Holy crap jumping to the number 1 pick? He was considered a fringe 1st rounder at the start of this month.

Curry was also incredible, also had the PG skills that I'm not sure Jimmer has.

He has some amazing skills, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. First there are a couple red flags about him...

1.) He plays in the Mountain West. His nightly competition isn't that great and that pads his stats, yes he can still deliver against big time talent, but it's just not quite the same. Ask Adam Morrison.

2.) What's his position? He's only 6'2" and not a blazing athlete and he just doesn't strike me as a PG.

In the end, I think we'll see Jimmer settle in somewhere in 12-15 range. I wouldn't take him in the top 10 I don't think.

pacers74
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
NBADraft.net has us taking Trey Thompkins. He is listed at 6' 10" 247 and they compare him to Kevin Love. I haven't really seen him play except on youtube, but he at least has the size to be a PF.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-thompkins

pacers74
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Jimmer looks lie a smaller version of JJ Redick. It is going to be hard for him to make an impact in the NBA.

judicata
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Jimmer looks lie a smaller version of JJ Redick. It is going to be hard for him to make an impact in the NBA.

Not even close. Reddick couldn't crossover a ham sandwich. He got most of his looks in college from step backs, down screens, and other off the ball movement. Jimmer gets the shot he wants at will.

That doesn't mean there are not legitimate reasons to be worried about his ability to translate to the NBA, but he's no Reddick.

Since86
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I gotta ask the question if you watched the game last night, if you're comparing him to Redick.

Other than their skin color, and range, they are completely different.

pacers74
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok, he can get his own shot better than JJ, but his 3 pointer looks a lot like JJ's did in college.

Since86
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Except the fact that he shoots off the dribble and JJ had to come off screens.

Yeah, they're 100% identical.

pacers74
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Check out this video of JJ at Duke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVO52dfSKo

pacers74
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Check out this video of JJ at Duke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVO52dfSKo

Since86
01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I watched a ton of JJ at Duke, I don't need to watch youtube highlights, because there's a pretty good chance I watched the game live.

JJ Redick and Jimmer don't have the same skill sets, AT ALL.

He creates his own shots most of the time. They didn't use ball screens, they let Jimmer work in the open. The played a shell offense, where Jimmer had the ball and the other guys spotted up. There wasn't a set offense to be ran most of the time.

I don't think there is a good comparison for what Jimmer does. I think he's just a hybrid. He has JJ's range. That's about where the comparison stops between those two though.

judicata
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
That video shows exactly what I said it would. Step back jumpers and catch and shoot 3s off of multiple screen sets. There are some shots of that ugly rightside drive fade-away, but nobody thought that was going to translate.

pacers74
01-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Ok, just wait til next year and see if him game translates.

judicata
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Ok, just wait til next year and see if him game translates.

As I said before, there are legitimate reasons to think that his game may not translate. None of them have to do with his similarity to Reddick.

Grover
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
If its not too early to talk draft, then its not too early for me to pre-complain about JOB and the Pacers winning too many meaningless games in April and dropping us out of a better pick!!!:mad:

pacer4ever
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
NBADraft.net has us taking Trey Thompkins. He is listed at 6' 10" 247 and they compare him to Kevin Love. I haven't really seen him play except on youtube, but he at least has the size to be a PF.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-thompkins

draftnet= worst nba draft site

Draft express does way better and they have amzing write ups

Sparhawk
01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
draftnet= worst nba draft site

Draft express does way better and they have amzing write ups

I actually like both sites. I never trust one site 100% of the time.