PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Mike Dunleavy, Jr.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
You were drafted #3 by the Golden State Warriors. And ever since you've felt you had to live up to a certain expectation, to lift a faultering team up pretty much single-handedly. Those days are over. They are behind you. You're no longer a Golden State Warrior. However, you do need to become a "warrior".

Your game is collegic; that is to say you play fundamentally. You think mechanically. If steps 1, 2 and 3 happen, then logically you should follow step 4. However, you're not in college anymore, and while you are an outstanding "team originated" player, you also need to become a "balla!"

You have all the tools at your disposal to be a better basketball player, but somehow I believe you carry with you this burden to prove you were worthy of that #2 pick. Mike, you're in the NBA. Play like it!

If you ask players such as Kobe, LeBron, Dwade, even the former NBA great Allen Iverson what made them great they'd all say it was a confidence in their ability that no one could stop them from scoring the ball. No one! Instead of thinking, hoping, praying that the ball would somehow mysteriously find its way into the basket, THEY KNEW IT!! Ask the Pacer great, Reggie Miller, if he believed he went 0-5 or if he was 0-1 with every shot. It's the consumate, confident profession "do-over" mentality, that there may be missed shots, but never "missed opportunities".

You take very good, clean open shots. But I often times wonder if you believe it's a shot you can make. You make very nice cuts and drives to the basket, but can you create shot opportunities for yourself? Can you "break the ankles" of your defender? Can you finesse the ball into the basket at the rim? You have the tools; it's beyond time you drop the shackles of the past and start playing not like you know how to play, but play like you own the court! Be aggressive! It's YOUR ball - swish it! Dunk it! Slash with it! Drive with it! Convert the And-1 play with it. But by all means, bring YOUR NBA game to the hardwood. And leave your college game behind.

Feel the moment! Own the court!!

One last note: Next time you play against your former team, you're NOT hearing them say "BOOO!" You're hearing "Who?", as in "Who is that guy?" Show them who Mike Dunlealvy, Jr., really is - a confident NBA balla, shot calla who will quite the crowd with a flick of the wrist and a nasty swishhhhh of the net.

Welcome to the NBA, Mike Dunleavy, Jr.

BPump33
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
He was picked 3rd.

Mackey_Rose
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I think you think Mike Dunleavy is, or has the capability to be a lot better than he is or can be.

vnzla81
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I stopped at the " you take good open shots" part

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Dear mike,

PLEASE RETIRE

SMosley21
01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Are we writing letters to all of the players or what? I must have missed the memo.

Also, Dunleavy isn't some 2nd or 3rd year player still trying to figure out his game. He's been in the league for 9 seasons now. He is who he is. It's foolish to have some fairy tale belief that he has all this untapped ability that he just hasn't shown yet.

He IS the player that we see.

Kemo
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Some of the posters can be downright nasty in their comments... I am not even talking about this thread so much, as what I see going on , on this forum lately...
Although I like some of the aforementioned members, It makes me hold my head in shame as a fan at times to see the venom froth out their posts directed at Pacers players ..

IMO the ***** NEEDS TO STOP!....

I like to live by the rule of thumb, that if you wouldn't say it to that person/ player's face, you shouldn't hide behind a keyboard talking smack spewing hate like an opinionated a**hole...

It is a known fact, that players and personel frequent this forum..
If this forum were a social gathering, and our Pacers players were in attendance, I'd be the guy in the corner with a brown paperbag over my head embarassed to be around some of the people who spew such hate directed at the players..

It seems there is no middle ground with alot of you here... either they are a worthless bum/thug who shouldn't be in the NBA , or they are the next Pacer's all star .. and that opinion with them changes about everytime they change their underwear... lol

All I'm asking, is for people on here to be more mindful of their words, and show some form of respect..

BornReady
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
well, Mike is always good for laughs in his interviews

tora tora
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I think Mike's been playing great this season.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Are we writing letters to all of the players or what? I must have missed the memo.
No, but if one Pacers fan can post his "thoughts" on a specific player and point out where he/she believes said player can make improvements in his game and, thus, improve his psyching, why can't I?

Also, Dunleavy isn't some 2nd or 3rd year player still trying to figure out his game. He's been in the league for 9 seasons now. He is who he is. It's foolish to have some fairy tale belief that he has all this untapped ability that he just hasn't shown yet.

He IS the player that we see.
I disagree.

As you've pointed out, MD, Jr's only been in the league 9 years. A large portion of that time he has spent "hobbled", not knowing exactly how well he could perform. He's been average, but never above average and I think there are two reasons for that:

1) He comes from a basketball background both personally and professional that has stressed fundamentals as the key building blocks to his game. To that, there's little to no finesse to his movements. It's all mechanics and schemes which are fine when you and your teammates are working in tamdum - on a string as the saying goes - but not when you're forced to go 1-on-1.

2) His knee injury obviously was more serious than even he believed it to be. If you can recall what he said coming into this season, it's the first year he has played completely pain-free.

As I've watched Dunleavy play this year, especially against his former team, the one thing that stood out to me was how mechanical he plays. I also noticed how tight Dunlealvy plays every time he returns to face the Warriors on their homecourt. Naturally, he doesn't play that way at the Fieldhouse because he's welcomed and beloved here. (Okay, "beloved" might be too strong a word to use, but you don't hear fan screaming, "Boo", at him on every possession either.)

Point is, Mike Dunleavy is a very good basketball player. He may never become "Like Mike" as in "Jordon", but he doesn't have to play like the timid "Mike" from Duke who just recently came into the league either. He can be better. He should want to be better. And I think some aspects of his game have improved; his ability to read and react to certain schemes and his defense, for example.

The biggest drawback I see with his game is he doesn't put any showmanship into it. Everything Dunleavy does on the court is about being sound in fundamental play. Yes, you need that basketball IQ in order to be successful in this league, but to be great you need to "be a balla!". To that, Dunleavy does have some of the tools required.

He can handle the basketball very well. He did play PG at one point either in high school or college. So, we know he has handles.

He has good feet speed; he just doesn't have quick feet, ala, Darren Collison. So, he might not take many defenders off the dribble, but I believe he's capable of doing that. He's just never been allowed to do it because he's not a PG in the NBA. He's a SG and SG's aren't suppose to take their man off the dribble. But I believe he could do it.

Very few SGs have the ability to also be cutters and slashers. Dunleavy's one of the few SG who possess this ability, and he's been using those skills more and more this season. Unfortunately, he's too much of a straight-up player once he gets to the rim. If he incorporated more "up-and-under" moves to his game when he does get to the rim, he'd be a very interesting player to watch. He has done it plenty of times before, just not often enough, IMO.

As far as his shooting is concerned, I think the point could be made that he does focus much too much on making the shot instead of just taking the shot. A good shooter will take the shot given to him by the defense, but a great shooter will make the shot happen regardless of what the defense throws at him. Want proof? See Carmelo Anthony's game from the other night.

Mike Dunleavy is a better basketball player than most people give him credit. Unfortunately for him, he has yet to turn himself into anything resembling a "balla". There have been flashes of it, but there's seldom seen.

IndyHoya
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Dear mike,

PLEASE RETIRE

LOL

SMosley21
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
No, but if one Pacers fan can post his "thoughts" on a specific player and point out where he/she believes said player can make improvements in his game and, thus, improve his psyching, why can't I?

I disagree.

As you've pointed out, MD, Jr's only been in the league 9 years. A large portion of that time he has spent "hobbled", not knowing exactly how well he could perform. He's been average, but never above average and I think there are two reasons for that:

1) He comes from a basketball background both personally and professional that has stressed fundamentals as the key building blocks to his game. To that, there's little to no finesse to his movements. It's all mechanics and schemes which are fine when you and your teammates are working in tamdum - on a string as the saying goes - but not when you're forced to go 1-on-1.

2) His knee injury obviously was more serious than even he believed it to be. If you can recall what he said coming into this season, it's the first year he has played completely pain-free.

As I've watched Dunleavy play this year, especially against his former team, the one thing that stood out to me was how mechanical he plays. I also noticed how tight Dunlealvy plays every time he returns to face the Warriors on their homecourt. Naturally, he doesn't play that way at the Fieldhouse because he's welcomed and beloved here. (Okay, "beloved" might be too strong a word to use, but you don't hear fan screaming, "Boo", at him on every possession either.)

Point is, Mike Dunleavy is a very good basketball player. He may never become "Like Mike" as in "Jordon", but he doesn't have to play like the timid "Mike" from Duke who just recently came into the league either. He can be better. He should want to be better. And I think some aspects of his game have improved; his ability to read and react to certain schemes and his defense, for example.

The biggest drawback I see with his game is he doesn't put any showmanship into it. Everything Dunleavy does on the court is about being sound in fundamental play. Yes, you need that basketball IQ in order to be successful in this league, but to be great you need to "be a balla!". To that, Dunleavy does have some of the tools required.

He can handle the basketball very well. He did play PG at one point either in high school or college. So, we know he has handles.

He has good feet speed; he just doesn't have quick feet, ala, Darren Collison. So, he might not take many defenders off the dribble, but I believe he's capable of doing that. He's just never been allowed to do it because he's not a PG in the NBA. He's a SG and SG's aren't suppose to take their man off the dribble. But I believe he could do it.

Very few SGs have the ability to also be cutters and slashers. Dunleavy's one of the few SG who possess this ability, and he's been using those skills more and more this season. Unfortunately, he's too much of a straight-up player once he gets to the rim. If he incorporated more "up-and-under" moves to his game when he does get to the rim, he'd be a very interesting player to watch. He has done it plenty of times before, just not often enough, IMO.

As far as his shooting is concerned, I think the point could be made that he does focus much too much on making the shot instead of just taking the shot. A good shooter will take the shot given to him by the defense, but a great shooter will make the shot happen regardless of what the defense throws at him. Want proof? See Carmelo Anthony's game from the other night.

Mike Dunleavy is a better basketball player than most people give him credit. Unfortunately for him, he has yet to turn himself into anything resembling a "balla". There have been flashes of it, but there's seldom seen.

ONLY???? Are you serious? T.J. Ford has "only" been in the league for 7 seasons so he must have TONS of untapped potential still huh?

I've heard of being a homer for certain players that you may like, but I think you're taking it a bit too far with Dunleavy. What 30+ year old players have you ever heard of, that didn't know how well they could perform and therefore have been relegated to average NBA player status?

Mike Dunleavy is what he is. He's never going to be better than what he is right now.

P.S. The odds of Mike Dunleavy taking another SG (of even average defensive ability) in the NBA off the dribble are about as good as the odds that I might suit up as the starting C for the Pacers in the 2011 NBA Finals.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
ONLY???? Are you serious? T.J. Ford has "only" been in the league for 7 seasons so he must have TONS of untapped potential still huh?

I've heard of being a homer for certain players that you may like, but I think you're taking it a bit too far with Dunleavy. What 30+ year old players have you ever heard of, that didn't know how well they could perform and therefore have been relegated to average NBA player status?

Mike Dunleavy is what he is. He's never going to be better than what he is right now.

I guess ur not done un tapping poential untill u are a 10 yr vet lol

PacersPride
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Mike, please stop shooting so many 3's even if Obrien says otherwise. Overall, Dun is a good SF in this league, but jacks way too many treys at times in this offense.

Sookie
01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Mike, please stop shooting so many 3's even if Obrien says otherwise. Overall, Dun is a good SF in this league, but jacks way too many treys at times in this offense.

One commentator said that when he played for O'brien, JOB used to yell at players that wouldn't take the three. That explains a ton.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
One commentator said that when he played for O'brien, JOB used to yell at players that wouldn't take the three. That explains a ton.

who was that broadcaster?

Sookie
01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
who was that broadcaster?

I don't remember, I have league pass so I hear the other broadcaster a lot. But this guy had played for O'brien.

Since86
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Someone else mentioned it in another thread. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: That didn't take long.

I have league pass but I only watch games on other teams broadcasts to see Pacer games that FSN Midwest doesn't carry.

But the few times I have seen these games over the past two years there have been some times when the announcers have almost chuckled when they were talking about Jim O'Brien's love of the three point shot.

The worst I can remember was the OKC Thunder broadcast crew last year. Grant Long was doing color commentary for them and not only did they openly laugh about Jim's infatuation with the three Grant told a story about having to play for Jim and how in all of his years a coach never told him to step back and take a three but O'Brien not only insisted on it he got mad at him whenever he didn't do it.

beast23
01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I've always liked Dunleavy as a player. Good fundamentals and a high IQ.

Dunleavy is a player that could be quite good at improvisation; after all that is what the present offensive system is all about. In reading what can be done within that system of play, he is probably the best we have.

But, as has been stated above, the combination of skills and athleticism that he has are not enough that he is able to create for himself. He is dependent on other players on the court making similar reads as him to enable him to play his best. And part of the problem that Dunleavy has is that we don't have enough players capable of reading the game the way this offense requires it to be read.

So, with that being said, is Dunleavy capable of producing better? If he were in a system that ran canned plays and expected him to use his skills as a cutter and a shooter, I think there is a good chance that he would produce better. Would he be a 19ppg scorer once again? Probably not, because we have a team that has a greater number of capable of scorers than just Murphy, Granger, Dunleavy. And, quite frankly, I believe that's why Granger's ppg has dropped each of the past two seasons as well... because the Pacers have a greater number of players capable of scoring and have become much more of an "equal opportunity" offense.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
beast23,

It's sort of a quagmire, isn't it? I mean, a few short years ago Granger was the #1 scoring option and perhaps the only
bonafide scorer this team had. Now, we have an assortment of scorers and can't decide exactly who the go-to guy truly is or atleast who his #2 should be...Robin to his Batman.

I understand SMosley21's position; it's the old "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" perspective coupled with "if he hasn't changed his game in 9-years he's as good as he's gonna get." Problem here is I've seen slight improvements in Dunleavy's game and know that in the right system and maybe with the right encouragement he can step his game up a notch. No, I'm not asking nor expecting him to become this phenominal player; just suggesting he has more skills than even he gives himself credit and he should allow himself to utilize them.

Name another player on this team who executes backdoor cuts better? Who runs baseline screens better? Who executes give-and-go plays better? Who moves without the ball better? Who other than Granger can score using both hands?

I've seen Dunleavy use a step-back jumper effective.

I've seen him run baseline and score on the opposite side of the basket before. I've seen him dribble the ball away from traffic before and stop-n-pop plenty of times. (No, not the dance; that would be the pop-n-lock...different "floor". :mrgreen:) He is far more capable of doing things out there effectively than most players give him credit.

And for the record, this isn't some fanatical "Dunleavy love". I just think he's a good player who hasn't allowed himself or been allowed to showcase his skills. If you really watch him play, you'll see many of the attributes I've mentioned.

He can be better. Not spectacular, but certainly better than what he has shown to date.

PR07
01-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Dunleavy is a nice rotational player, probably best served as the second wing off a really good team's bench. Unfortunately for us, we have had to play him in a much larger role.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Honestly, when I look at Dunleavy's play I think of a scaled back Larry Bird from the 80's. That's the era of basketball Dunleavy seems to be stuck in; sound, fundamental basketball.

No finess.

No "showtime" moves.

Just sound, fundamental basketball.

If I could splice his fundamental skills with Hansborough's grit and swagger...DAMN!

Now, Hansborough, on the other hand, is the reincarnation of Larry Bird but with no finess to his game. He's just a hardnosed playa. You'd best bring your body armor when you go up against that guy.

vnzla81
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Honestly, when I look at Dunleavy's play I think of a scaled back Larry Bird from the 80's. That's the era of basketball Dunleavy seems to be stuck in; sound, fundamental basketball.

No finess.

No "showtime" moves.

If I could splice his fundamental skills with Hansborough's grit and swagger...DAMN!

Now, Hansborough, on the other hand, is the reincarnation of Larry Bird but with no finess to his game. He's just a hardnosed playa. You'd best bring your body armor when you go up against that guy.

:wtf2:

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 06:34 PM

No finess.

No "showtime" moves.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EhnRtgBGMl4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ya no show time moves LOL

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4mF9xdLyJGA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Please never mention Larry and Manleavy in the same sentence again

:birdobrien::wtf2:

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
vnzla81 & pacer4ever,

C'mon. Lighten up!

Have you ever seen footage of Bird play? If so, think about Dunleavy's game...such fundamental skills...then image if he was more hardnosed about it.

Hansborough plays in much the same way as Bird did in that he brings toughness to the floor, but there's no finess to his game either. Of course, he is a PF. Still, I'm sure those who have come against him would say it's like playing against a pitbull...he doesn't back down from anyone.

That's all I'm saying.

vnzla81
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
This got to be the funnies "open letter thread" , I haven't laugh this much in a long time thanks nuffsaid :laugh:

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6VpCzaGRjAQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
vnzla81 & pacer4ever,

C'mon. Lighten up!

Have you ever seen footage of Bird play? If so, think about Dunleavy's game...such fundamental skills...then image if he was more hardnosed about it.

Hansborough plays in much the same way as Bird did in that he brings toughness to the floor, but there's no finess to his game either. Of course, he is a PF. Still, I'm sure those who have come against him would say it's like playing against a pitbull...he doesn't back down from anyone.

That's all I'm saying.

If u said Dirk played like Bird but lacked the passing ablity(or had the passing ablity of a Kidd or Nash) then i would buy it no one is compareable 2 bird .

Dunleavy Couldnt even dreaming of playing the game with the grace and polish Bird played with thats all im saying

SMosley21
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
No, seriously, there is NO comparing Dunleavy's game to that of Larry Bird. Other than the fact that they are both blonde haired white guys, Dunleavy's game isn't at all similar to what Bird's was. Larry was one of the greatest improvisational players of all time. He had the fundamentals but also was one of the greatest play makers to ever play the sport. He was in no way similar to what Dunleavy is.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
If u said Dirk played like Bird but lacked the passing ablity(or had the passing ablity of a Kidd or Nash) then i would buy it no one is compareable 2 bird .

Dunleavy Couldnt even dreaming of playing the game with the grace and polish Bird played with thats all im saying
If by "grace and polish" you mean "finesse" and the tenacity to finish with a flourish at the rim in traffic, then we agree.

No, seriously, there is NO comparing Dunleavy's game to that of Larry Bird. Other than the fact that they are both blonde haired white guys, Dunleavy's game isn't at all similar to what Bird's was. Larry was one of the greatest improvisational players of all time. He had the fundamentals but also was one of the greatest play makers to ever play the sport. He was in no way similar to what Dunleavy is.
See my comment above...

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
:imout:
If by "grace and polish" you mean "finesse" and the tenacity to finish with a flourish at the rim in traffic, then we agree.

this is the dumest arguement ive ever seen

Bird= GOAT

Dunleavy=bust

O'Braindead
01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
vnzla81 & pacer4ever,

C'mon. Lighten up!

That's all I'm saying.

Mike Dunleavy's main strengths are (Streaky) shooting and off ball moment.

Hansbrough's main strengths are touch around the basket, hustle, and strong hands.

Larry Bird's main strengths are dead eye shooting (Shooting either off the dribble, of the screen, or spotting up.. And one of the greatest of all time), amazing passing skills similar to LeBron James (He would have had way more assists than James had he had nearly as much usage), the hustle of Hansbrough's and Anderson Varejao x2, and rebounding of Gerald Wallace or Shawn Marion.

Many see Larry's stats and they say, "Wow," but they don't understand had he not had to or three other Hall of Famers on his team, and he had to carry the load all the time like LeBron James did or still does, that he could probably average a triple double.

A lot of people that are particularly unathletic look up to Bird for motivation when that is actually fool's gold too. Larry was actually a good athlete and had determination and work ethic that I would be willing to bet 99% of people in the world don't possess. That isn't bashing all of those people, but it is saying more about Larry than everyone else. Not to even mention his freakish balance and peripheral vision to go along with touch.

Your comment somewhat makes me wonder how many times you have seen Larry Bird play. To compare him to two role players/starters is somewhat absurd.

Trophy
01-25-2011, 07:53 PM
He should be playing no more than 20 minutes a game and coming off the bench no matter who we're facing.

There's no reason why he should be playing as many minutes as Danny.

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
:imout:

this is the dumest arguement ive ever seen

Bird= GOAT

Dunleavy=bust
Whatever...you're entitled to your opinion and I to mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

jhondog28
01-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Seriously for some of you I hope he does get traded. You think we are bad now. Imagine us with 0 movement and rely totally on our high shooting percentage. It will be comical to watch who the fall guy will be then.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Seriously for some of you I hope he does get traded. You think we are bad now. Imagine us with 0 movement and rely totally on our high shooting percentage. It will be comical to watch who the fall guy will be then.

offense doesnt win championships defense does

cdash
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM

Oh please. That is such an oversimplification of the truth. You have to be able to make stops to win titles. That's where that "defense wins titles" crap comes from.

jhondog28
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM

The Pacers will drop 6-7 pts on average a game when they trade him. The defense will not be that much better because Dunleavy has not even been close to the worst defensive player on the floor.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh please. That is such an oversimplification of the truth. You have to be able to make stops to win titles. That's where that "defense wins titles" crap comes from.

Dunleavy doesnt get stops

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
The Pacers will drop 6-7 pts on average a game when they trade him. The defense will not be that much better because Dunleavy has not even been close to the worst defensive player on the floor.

who has been the worst defensive player - DC???

Hicks
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Champions play like champions on both ends of the floor.

jhondog28
01-25-2011, 11:32 PM
who has been the worst defensive player - DC???

DC, Ford, Granger man sometimes even Rush has been worse.There is no way you can be leading the team in plus minus (by such a large margin) if you are the worst defensive player on the floor.

cdash
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Dunleavy doesnt get stops

Teams get stops, not individual players. Not every player on title winning teams is a great defender. Exhibit A: Derek Fisher. How many times during their past two playoff runs did opposing point guards light him up?

Merz
01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
DC, Ford, Granger man sometimes even Rush has been worse.There is no way you can be leading the team in plus minus (by such a large margin) if you are the worst defensive player on the floor.

They might have all had their moments (a lot for DC) but Dunleavy has constant moments of subpar defense. He is the worst defensive player out on the floor.

And I seriously doubt they drop 6-7 points a game if they trade him (plus you're forgetting that, if they trade Dunleavy, they will be adding a player).

pacer4ever
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
They might have all had their moments (a lot for DC) but Dunleavy has constant moments of subpar defense. He is the worst defensive player out on the floor.

And I seriously doubt they drop 6-7 points a game if they trade him (plus you're forgetting that, if they trade Dunleavy, they will be adding a player).

Plus Paul George would be getting 30+ mins per night opposed to 15. Paul is already better offensivly and defensiv.ly

NuffSaid
01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Plus Paul George would be getting 30+ mins per night opposed to 15. Paul is already better offensivly and defensiv.ly
Dunleavy's stats from last night's game (vs Nets):

12-16 FGA, 6-7 3PA, 0-0 FTA = 30 pts; 4 def rbs, 1 blk, 1 stl, 4 asst, 31 mins

George's stats:

6-7 FGA, 1-2 3PA, 2-4 FTA = 15 PGS; 3 rbs (1-off/2-def), 1 stl, 1 blk, 1 asst, 15 mins.

Not bad for either player. I'm just glad MD, Jr finally had his breakout game. He was way overdue and he did it at home. Now, can he do it again against the Bulls tonight?

D-BONE
01-29-2011, 09:28 AM
If Dun could score in the 20-30 range nightly, it would more than make up for some of the defensive shortcomings. I doubt he can against any team that plays a semblance of defense. Apparently the Nets were content to yield him one WIDE OPEN three after another.

Besides that, as O'BRAINDEAD points out, Dun has a streak element to his shooting where he's capable of going 1 - 7 getting the same open looks on a given night.

I don't dislike Dun, but he's a big expiring deal so he needs to go unless two things happen: 1) We acquire significant upgrade pieces to go alongside him and 2) if he's willing to take a new deal at a markedly reduced rate.

Effectively, we're talking effective 5th starter to 6th or 7th man on an EXCELLENT team here. Unfortunately, we're nowhere near in position to take advantage of that role with Dun.

pwee31
01-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Dunleavy just needs to knock down his shots. The way he moves without the ball, he tends to get more open looks then anyone else on the team.

If he's making shots you need to get him the ball and run plays for him, if he's not making shots, he still needs minutes b/c of his ball movement, passing and the fact he's capable of making shots. He just shouldn't get the same amount of minutes when he's not scoring the ball well

FireTheCoach
01-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I like Dunleavy. When he gets a good pass, it seems to me that he usually hits the shot. He's got a knack for seeing the backdoor scoring opportunity and he usually makes those layups. He's the best shooter on our team IMO. People can complain about his lack of defensive prowess but come on, he's not in the game to be a lockdown defender, he's in the game to find the open spot, get a good pass and hit the shot.

To sum up my thoughts on the matter... Mike Dunleavy isn't the reason the Pacers are struggling this season.

NuffSaid
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
It's not that I'm a Mike Dunleavy fanatic. I just see how this guy plays and believe he can do better. Lots of it is on him; he certainly needs to change his approach to the game alittle, but overall I think he's a good player. I just wish folks would give him his props. He's not as bad as alot of folks think. He made some very smart plays on both sides of the ball last night. I just wanted to give him his props for a job Well Done last night and hope his good fortune continues.