PDA

View Full Version : David West and Hornets Not Close on Contract Extension (Yahoo! Sports)

SMosley21
01-25-2011, 12:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av6JqwI2QU9U0_tpuS59ROS8vLYF?slug=aw-westhornets012411

by: Adrian Wojnarowksi

The future of the New Orleans Hornets has long been centered on Chris Paul, but much of this season – and beyond – hinges on the contract extension talks the franchise’s front office has entered into with forward David West.

New Orleans general manager Dell Demps has discussed the framework of a multiyear deal with West’s agents at Octagon, but the Hornets’ hopes of getting him signed prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline is “not likely at all,” one source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports.

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/capt_66f5a27615d345ea90872b4a36868410_hornets_bobc ats_basketball_nccb105.jpg
David West can opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent.

West plans to opt out of the $7.5 million owed him in the final season of a five-year, $45 million contract and expects to command north of $10 million a season on the market, sources said.

“It’s hard to see an extension happening here,” one source said.

Demps said he and West have an agreement that they won’t speak publicly about any discussions, but the GM told Yahoo! Sports: “We’re happy with David and we want him here for a long time.”

For Demps, the question will be, should the Hornets consider trading West at the deadline out of fear of getting nothing back for one of the franchise’s cornerstone players? With the way the Hornets are playing – winners of eight straight, and now tied with Dallas for the fourth seed in the Western Conference – it’s a difficult proposition to break up this core prior to the playoffs. Nevertheless, West’s expiring contract could fetch the Hornets comparable talent with longer-term money owed to a player.

Demps would have a chance to make a sign-and-trade deal for West after the season, too. West has averaged 18.9 points, 7.4 rebounds and shot 51 percent for the Hornets this season. He’s played his entire eight-year career with the Hornets, but the chance to play for a championship contender appeals to him. The uncertainty surrounding the NBA taking over ownership of the Hornets, as well as the franchise’s potential relocation, leave a lot of unanswered questions for a player being asked to commit long-term to the franchise.

“Under the current labor deal, I think he’ll get that $10 million a year,” said one rival GM who would have interest in signing West. “But who knows under the next deal?”

West, 31, had a strong relationship with past GM Jeff Bower, who drafted him, and has grown fond of Demps and coach Monty Williams. Nevertheless, he’ll likely resist re-signing with the Hornets now to go into what will likely be a post-lockout free-agent market.

I would LOVE to get West her in Indy. People can say what they will about him "not complimenting" Hibbert's game, but considering West is an 8 year veteran and an All-Star (who just happened to run the pick & roll to perfection with Darren Collison last season), I think we should worry about how Hibbert should compliment West's game (if we were to go after him). Roy Hibbert, as much as I like him, is NOT going to be the centerpiece of the team. So if we have a chance to go out and get a legit All-Star caliber PF, we need to do everything we can to make it happen.

pacersgroningen
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
This team needs talent, we're not in a position quite yet to be nitpicking about players complementing eachother tremendously

CableKC
01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
This team needs talent, we're not in a position quite yet to be nitpicking about players complementing eachother tremendously
You are right.....but it so happens that David West does have a familiarity and working relationship with DC...so I'd think that it would benefit him and the Pacers.

Pacerfan
01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Maybe Darren can have a "friendly conversation" with him after the season ends.

BringJackBack
01-25-2011, 06:11 PM

It's all moot anyways because David West is a picture-perfect fit for what we need at power forward.

xBulletproof
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I like West on offense. I'm not a fan of him on defense, and I'm afraid I won't be a fan of his contract in a few months.

Two out of 3 ain't good.

Anthem
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Hmm. The Bugs are looking for "comparable talent with longer-term money."

I don't think we can give them that.

ChristianDudley
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I would definitely love to get David West here on this team. A perfect pick-and-roll player, especially when he'd be back playing with DC, plus a guy who can probably hit the midrange J 95 out of 100 times, he would help us out tremendously. So what if he's starting to get a few years on him, I see now decline in him yet--I still see him increasing a little each year. If you haven't seen last night's highlights from the Hornets/Thunder game, GO CHECK THEM OUT--D-West owned the last minute (and the victory)!!!

ballism
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Hmm. The Bugs are looking for "comparable talent with longer-term money."

I don't think we can give them that.

Who can though? There aren't many "comparable" players available. At least in the rumors. Off the top of my head, I can think only of Rockets and Scola, Utah and Al Jefferson. But if they can't afford 10 mil per, they won't want those two.

naptownmenace
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
A deal structured around Dunleavy and Hansbrough might interest them. Probably not enough but that's probably the least that New Orleans would take. I'm sure they'd rather have Danny and Hibbert but that ain't happening.

Karlton
01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Who can though? There aren't many "comparable" players available. At least in the rumors. Off the top of my head, I can think only of Rockets and Scola, Utah and Al Jefferson. But if they can't afford 10 mil per, they won't want those two.

Why don't we send them an expiring (TJ, Dun, Foster) and a Brandon Rush/Paul George and then send a first to New York and have NY send Randolph to New Orleans. They've got a bevy of trade exceptions they could use to keep their incoming within the appropriate range of West's outgoing. NY gets their first for Melo and we get West.

SMosley21
01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Why don't we send them an expiring (TJ, Dun, Foster) and a Brandon Rush/Paul George and then send a first to New York and have NY send Randolph to New Orleans. They've got a bevy of trade exceptions they could use to keep their incoming within the appropriate range of West's outgoing. NY gets their first for Melo and we get West.

Take Paul George out of that scenario and I think we've got a winner.