PDA

View Full Version : The joy of Roy... an open letter to Roy Hibbert

Speed
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
In your 3rd year, you were handed the keys to the car. With it, the responsibility of a franchise felt like it was on your shoulders or so it felt.

The transition of the focus of the team was built around the high post and low post efforts of their Center, not the perimeter 3 and the inconsistencys that come with that. It worked, for awhile, but then teams began to game plan for it.

Along with opposing teams game planning to stop Roy Hibbert, so began the struggles of team sucess.

Easy to blame yourself and let it snowball into a perceived personal failure.

This mindset is understandable for someone who is a thinking intellectual person. Also understandable is the snowball effect and the following discouraging feelings that followed.

With all of that said, its all just an illusion, its all just something thats intangible thats only true when you make it true.

I'm also here to say, its only what you allow it to be and its all part of the process.

No one expected or even hoped for Roy Hibbert to be an Allstar and put up 20/10 in his 3rd year, no one. Not your coach, your GM, the president, the owner, Area 55, fans, popcorn vendors, Mike Wells, no one.

Stop beating yourself up over every loss, every missed shot, every foul, everthing. Just play.

What everyone has come to enjoy and respect is your love and enthusiasm for the game. The Joy of Roy.

It's time to get back to that person... for you and for us.

Things to consider:

Step one, become a defensive back in the NFL or like one. You have to have a very short term memory as a defensive back, you might get burned for a TD, but you have to instantly forget it. You have to put your chin out and understand the defiance you need to dare someone to do it again. The past is the past, you can't change that touchdown, but you can have borderline arrogance to not let it happen again.

Step two, understand its not all on you. If you give all out effort, you can walk away proud, you've done your job. Play agressive on defense and purposeful on offense. Let the weight of all of the responsibility lift off your shoulders knowing you are giving it everything you have.

Step three, understand this is a short moment in time. What seems to be so important this day, this week, this month, is really a blink of the eye in your career and your life. Whatever negative is happening is probably not nearly as important as it seems....in the grand scheme.

Step Four, Its a process. See each game, each quarter, each play as a progression towards the player you'll be next year, in 3 years, in 5 years.

That is four things to think about as you finish this season, but those four things aren't even the most important.

Most important is to bring back the Joy of Roy, stop over thinking and just play.

Give us back that uncontrolled unbridled love of being out there. The Joy of Roy.

Know, not think, its all going to work out and live in the moment each game. The Joy of Roy.

Just be who you are, release the expectations and bring back the swagger, the Joy of Roy.

Let it all go and just be. Just play. The rest will take care of itself.

pacergod2
01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
I would love to see him take it personal when someone gets anywhere near HIS basket. He knows how to do that with enthusiam. Protect that b**** at all costs. It's your rim to protect big fella.

graphic-er
01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure how effective he is going to be at protecting the paint, he got caught several times watching the paint dry, and Nene slipped right behind him for wide open pass and dunk.

RWB
01-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Not meant to be a slam against you graphic-er, but I think you missed the point Speed is trying to make.

I'll second what Speed wrote, and Roy if you're reading this thread, the fans got your back.

TheDon
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I think that's the most discouraging thing Roy just does not seem happy right now and I hope he can get out of it. I miss the Roy that got a technical for clapping and getting excited the first home game of the season against the sixers. Or the Roy doing the John Wall dance after a dunk. He has probably been told that he can't let his emotions control him the standard "don't get too high after a win or too low after a loss." and that's true to an extent, but it just seems like he's playing with no emotion whatsoever. I'm fine with Roy the way he was and being an emotional person is just Roy being Roy and one of the reasons I became a fan. I remember the first pre-season game he played in the Pepsi Colliseum against the Hornets where I think it was Melvin Ely got into his face and Roy let him know he wasn't going to take it and gave him a shove and sent him flying backwards which led to his ejection. I remember how nice it was to have a player that finally seemed to give a damn went out after that game and bought me a hibbert jersey. I have all the faith in the world that Roy will be fine cause he's a hard worker and wish him the best.

PaceBalls
01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
P.S. Roy. I don't think you are mentally weak like some of the posters on this board. Go out there and dominate.

Sookie
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
P.S. Roy. I don't think you are mentally weak like some of the posters on this board. Go out there and dominate.

I don't think what people have described is "mentally weak"

Since86
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
You're the one saying he's "weak."

I don't think needing help to work out your mental state is a sign of weakness.

graphic-er
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Not meant to be a slam against you graphic-er, but I think you missed the point Speed is trying to make.

I'll second what Speed wrote, and Roy if you're reading this thread, the fans got your back.

I wasn't even addressing Speed. It was responding Pacergod2's comments about protecting the paint. Geez....

BornReady
01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
hi roy
we love you
:D

McKeyFan
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Dear Speed:

Getting the keys to the car was great!

But I got into a little fender bender, and I haven't seen the keys since.

I'm waiting for a new Dad.

Sincerely,

Roy

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Dear Roy,

Next time you get the keys to the car and take it to the arena, please shoot better than 45% from the field.

Sincerely,

7 foot tall basketball players and big man coaches everywhere

NuffSaid
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I echo much of what Speed had to say. I've even said as much in other threads concerning Roy Hibbert's lack of confidence lately. It shows! That home game against the Lakers really was the turning point which is ironic because it was the win against them on their home court that garnered the team and Roy himself lots of attention.

I'm sure he's been feeling alot of pressure to be the Center this team and the fans want him to be. Problem is, Roy needs to understand as Speed points out it's a learning process. He just completed a summer training regime with one of the NBA's all time greats. Trying to effectively "unlearn what he learned" in college and then implementing what he learned from Bill Walton where he's not being mechanical, where every move is fluid...that has to be tough.

But I think we're starting to see a re-emergence from Roy Hibbert. Hopefully, he'll play with alot more attitude tomorrow against Dwight Howard who I'm sure will do everything he can to make Roy look like the 3rd year rookie he is. But you know what?

If Roy just comes out to play...don't think, just react...don't be too predicatable, but don't try doing more than he's capable of doing...just play his game, Roy Hibbert will be fine and he'll get his joy back.

Pacerfan
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Roy,

Remember what you did to Dwight in the first half of the game the last time you played the Magic? Yes, you dominated. You're still the same Roy and can still do that... don't overthink it and believe in yourself because the fans still believe in you. Go watch video of that first half and see what you did and can still do.... you're just as good as him if you believe in yourself!

You have the ability to play right alongside Dwight, you've already showed it... just believe in yourself!

Most importantly, go out there and have some fun again! Remember positivity breeds positive outcomes! If there's one thing you need to change, it's being positive every time you step on the court again. Once you start doing this again, everything will fall back into place. If the fans still believe in you, the least you can do is believe in yourself too!

Signed,
Your fan psychologist :)

BringJackBack
01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Roy, we love you man.

Naptown_Seth
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I would love to see him take it personal when someone gets anywhere near HIS basket. He knows how to do that with enthusiam. Protect that b**** at all costs. It's your rim to protect big fella.
I don't see this as a problem at all, just the opposite in fact. Often he's racking up fouls with aggressive attempts to defend the rim as the help defender and frankly those are fouls he usually can't afford.

He needs another big that can help at the rim, and to beat the dead horse (since a certain coach keeps dragging it back out to be beaten) the other top shot blocker on the team has been Josh.

I'm reluctant to complain since I'm thrilled just to trade 3 for 1 in PT (Tyler, Paul, AJ for Josh), but it really shouldn't be an either/or situation.

But I love the sentiment of the OP. Tough times are the fiery furnace that forge champions.

It sucks now Roy, but it won't always. You might feel lost, frustrated or overwhelmed, but it's pretty likely not going to remain that way forever.

I for one don't mind one bit when the young kids struggle because part of the joy of basketball is watching players like Roy, AJ, Josh, Tyler, and Paul find their way and become that great vet that feels like he was always there. Just keep working and you can win this town over, even if it feels impossible right now.

IndySDExport
01-25-2011, 10:01 PM
How about we make this thread about showing our support for Roy, as Speed was trying to do. No negative comments.

Roy. I'm a huge fan. But the thing I love about you most is your passion for the game. Show us your passion and we'll follow you anywhere!

Unleash the Joy of Roy!

BringJackBack
01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Soo.. This morning I looked at past Pacers rosters and guys like Roy, George, and Tyler are a real blessing compared to some of the other headaches. These three guys, along with many others, strive to get better every single day no matter the circumstances where guys like David Harrison and Shawne Williams would fold. That is what makes me feel good about our future, and that is what makes me feel with certainty that Roy is going to get back to his game just like Rik Smits did.

NuffSaid
01-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Stats for Roy Hibbert from last night's game (vs Nets):

7-12 FGA, 6-7 FTA, 20 pts; 6 rbs (1-off/5-def), 2 asst, 2 blks

Looks like Roy got his Joy back! We'll know for sure after tonight's game against the Bulls, but for now...

Good Job, Big Roy! You earned it!!

D-BONE
01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Estimado Sr. Hibbert:

Siga jugando con ganas y pasio'n como en la primera parte de la temporada. No les haga caso a los de afuera ni tampoco a un partido malo. Por otro lado no lo tome tan a pecho personalmente. No sea tan cri'tico de si mismo que se convierta en un bloque mental. Disfru'telo todo...lo bueno y lo malo. No hay mal que por bien no venga. A mal tiempo buena cara. La vida es un carnaval. Ani'mese.

Atentatmente,
Sr. Bone

P.D. - Just play ball and stop worrying about every little thing and what others may say. Enjoy it all b/c life's a carnival.